Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Three months from now...

2»

Comments

  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Sovrath said:
    perrin82 said:
    Fast forward three months --- Will Wow Classic be considered a success?

    I am on the fence if I'll sub or not, but I am hoping it gives players the world that they have missed. 
    You have to define what that "success" means.

    As Kano said, it will be a financial success. So yeah, it will be a success. 

    Will it last for years and years and years? Well, there is a contingent of people who say they want this, they might even play on private servers, so as long as they continue then "sure why not?"
    Once it starts to fizzle out, they can always do what SOE/DBG keep doing.  Launch some fresh-start classic servers to lure back the people who don't like the later expansions, etc.

    Of course, EQ has such a small population that they are effectively just cannibalizing themselves and killing off their own servers.  It sort of works, though.  People just move like locusts from the old server to the fresh one.
    For a big game like WOW, it would certainly work.  Launch a couple new servers every 6 months or something.
    Torval
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    edited September 2019
    A success? Meaning what, exactly?

    I think it will have a decent enough population, though I expect at least half of the current population to have moved on.

    People will realize that being "hard and challenging" (which is highly amusing, as someone who can remember the original response to WoW) can't really make up for the fact that the game is ancient, and all content was exhausted ages ago.

    Games that are hard and challenging aren't interesting unless they reward you - and there's no way to reward you with the past that you've already been rewarded with.

    Well, it can give you a nice warm sense of nostalgia, and some people can live off of that for a good long time.

    Some people can tell themselves a story and believe in it, for a very long time.

    However, for the vast majority - I suspect they will quietly go play something else.

    The reason I believe there's still going to be a decent population in 3 months, is that 3 months isn't that long - and the social commitment involved with guilds and a shared delusion of a new paradise in a 15 years old game, does carry some weight.

    Beyond that, there may well be a month or so of actual growth, as this overblown hype-fest is getting curious people to try it out, and share in this fabricated tale of how the old design was superior in every single way - and content is still fresh.

    In 6-12 months, however, I suspect something like one-fifth of the current population, at the most.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,280
    Financial success and it being a success in the eyes of the world are different.  The Last Jedi was a financial success but hardly looked at as a successful Star Wars movie.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Horusra said:
    Financial success and it being a success in the eyes of the world are different.  The Last Jedi was a financial success but hardly looked at as a successful Star Wars movie.
    True, TLJ is generally viewed as an utter failure, with the latest leaks about SW IX it seems that Jar Jar Abrams is only digging the hole deeper, not that i think he actually has the talent to turn things around anyway. :/
    NorseGod
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    I really liked TLJ :)
    PhryIselin
  • perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    It's been two months now. What are we thinking? 
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    perrin82 said:
    It's been two months now. What are we thinking? 
    Well we have the trailer for "The Rise of Skywalker".  
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,860
    Lokero said:
    Sovrath said:
    perrin82 said:
    Fast forward three months --- Will Wow Classic be considered a success?

    I am on the fence if I'll sub or not, but I am hoping it gives players the world that they have missed. 
    You have to define what that "success" means.

    As Kano said, it will be a financial success. So yeah, it will be a success. 

    Will it last for years and years and years? Well, there is a contingent of people who say they want this, they might even play on private servers, so as long as they continue then "sure why not?"
    Once it starts to fizzle out, they can always do what SOE/DBG keep doing.  Launch some fresh-start classic servers to lure back the people who don't like the later expansions, etc.

    Of course, EQ has such a small population that they are effectively just cannibalizing themselves and killing off their own servers.  It sort of works, though.  People just move like locusts from the old server to the fresh one.
    For a big game like WOW, it would certainly work.  Launch a couple new servers every 6 months or something.
    Last time I logged into EQ1 they had 8-10 different progression servers going.
  • MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 4,237
    Lokero said:
    Sovrath said:
    perrin82 said:
    Fast forward three months --- Will Wow Classic be considered a success?

    I am on the fence if I'll sub or not, but I am hoping it gives players the world that they have missed. 
    You have to define what that "success" means.

    As Kano said, it will be a financial success. So yeah, it will be a success. 

    Will it last for years and years and years? Well, there is a contingent of people who say they want this, they might even play on private servers, so as long as they continue then "sure why not?"
    Once it starts to fizzle out, they can always do what SOE/DBG keep doing.  Launch some fresh-start classic servers to lure back the people who don't like the later expansions, etc.

    Of course, EQ has such a small population that they are effectively just cannibalizing themselves and killing off their own servers.  It sort of works, though.  People just move like locusts from the old server to the fresh one.
    For a big game like WOW, it would certainly work.  Launch a couple new servers every 6 months or something.
    Last time I logged into EQ1 they had 8-10 different progression servers going.
    My estimation is that Daybreak has somewhere between 35,000 and 40,000 people actively playing EQ1, both subscription and F2P.  They migrate between the regular servers and the progression servers as they come out.  Many players have characters on quite a few servers, some diehards have near the maximum character limit across 24 EQ1 servers.



    Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 6,270
    Still doing well. Most of the servers are full, layered and busy. Too full in my opinion. Very annoying cannot find resources especially metals.
    Kyleran

  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 37,009
    edited October 2019
    kitarad said:
    Still doing well. Most of the servers are full, layered and busy. Too full in my opinion. Very annoying cannot find resources especially metals.
    Do they still have it so if a NPC hits you while mining a node you get interrupted and have to first kill to it proceed?

    I recall being frustrated when I'd be busy clearing NPCs from an ore spawn only to see another player run up and grab it.

    "See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 6,270
    edited October 2019
    Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:
    Still doing well. Most of the servers are full, layered and busy. Too full in my opinion. Very annoying cannot find resources especially metals.
    Do they still have it so if a NPC hits you while mining a node you get interrupted and have to first kill to it proceed?

    I recall being frustrated when I'd be busy clearing NPCs from an ore spawn only to see another player run up and grab it.

    Yes even if they're grey to you they will attack. Have to clear it and any player that knowingly takes a node while you're clearing it, are really scummy. PvP server you can just kill the player after he clears the node and take it  >:)

  • RobokappRobokapp Member RarePosts: 6,217
    game's doing great so far...but it's only been 2 months.

    Maybe there's still time. dum dum dummmm
    AlBQuirky

    image

Sign In or Register to comment.