Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard To Add New WoW Classic Realms Monday, August 26 - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageBlizzard To Add New WoW Classic Realms Monday, August 26 - MMORPG.com

In a forum post earlier, Blizzard announced new WoW Classic realms to open on Monday, August 26.

Read the full story here

Comments

• WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 493
    edited August 2019
    I realize they have a workday as well but for a company that runs SaaS you would think they would do these 1 time things with thought of their clients a little more and stop launching these when all of their customers are at work.
    Phry
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Warzod said:
    I realize they have a workday as well but for a company that runs SaaS you would think they would do these 1 time things with thought of their clients a little more and stop launching these when all of their customers are at work.
    As opposed to when its needed, like before the game actually launches  :p
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    The fundamental flaw was the whole name reservation thing.  Had they just launched and made it a first come first serve thing, they wouldn't be chasing their tails right now.  Reality is, there is going to be queues and full servers no matter what.  They know it, we know it.  
    PhryAxxarAlomarPalebanevelimirius
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    I think Bliz have massively underestimated the interest in classic although I guess it’s more about finding the right number of servers that suits the population after it stabilizes in 6 months.

I literally know dozens of people that are coming back to play classic, many of whom have not played in several years.
    jgDuffayPhryAxxarXingbairongOctagon7711[Deleted User]velimiriusgastovski1Neptus
  • jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237

btdt said:

The fundamental flaw was the whole name reservation thing.  Had they just launched and made it a first come first serve thing, they wouldn't be chasing their tails right now.  Reality is, there is going to be queues and full servers no matter what.  They know it, we know it.  

Then they wouldnt have that good estimate of expected players? And they are also doing it to try and have a active community on every realm even after the large spike in the beginning is over, its actually really smart. They will also offer free transfers from largely overpopulated servers if players want to escape the que time.
    Phry
    jgDuffay said:

btdt said:

Then they wouldnt have that good estimate of expected players? And they are also doing it to try and have a active community on every realm even after the large spike in the beginning is over, its actually really smart. They will also offer free transfers from largely overpopulated servers if players want to escape the que time.
    I resubbed today so i could log in first thing when Classic Launches, created a couple of characters ready too, its as much a benefit for players as it is for Blizzard, they have already had to point out that some servers are already full, adding more servers just confirms that they are taking note of how many players there are going to be, of course there will still be login queues, you get that with the most popular games after all, FFXIV has login queues all the time.
    Probably the best thing Blizzard could do right now, is switch over hardware resources from retail WoW, to prioritize Classic WoW, as i think thats where all the demand is going to be, going forward. ;)
    AxxarOctagon7711
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    jgDuffay said:

btdt said:

Name reservations is a terrible way to estimate the number of players... everyone knows the BULK of the player base is waiting until launch, so the reservations was nothing more than a ploy to get sub money early.  And Blizz hasn't offered free transfers, they offered you the opportunity to roll on another server to avoid long queues.  That means, you get to try your luck at getting your name all over again just like everyone else.
    AxxarAlomarPalebane
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

btdt said:

Actually the name launch "thing" was smart and a good thing.

Had they "not" done that they wouldn't have a bead on how many people (roughly) they would be getting.

It helps them pre-plan and is smart. Adding additional servers is good.

PhryXingbairong[Deleted User]ceratop001
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

Warzod said:

All of the other name reservation/server opens have been in the evening.
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Why did you only bother to include the US information and not the EU?

You think your readers are only from US?
    PhryAxxarXingbaironggastovski1
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation

UK here, already planning to set my alarm for 4am, so i get enough sleep and hopefully miss the first few hours that might have 'problems' something i haven't done for games of any kind for years  :p
    XingbairongSeelinnikoiManWithNoTan
  • ominatorominator Member UncommonPosts: 31
    All I remember is that at launch in 2004 the server I initially played on was down for the whole weekend, so were others. I ended up making a new character on another server.

So queues and server outages will make this an authentic classic release.
    XingbairongOctagon7711ManWithNoTan
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    More hype and excitement for a 15 year old version of the game when the current expansion is barely a year old. Quality content under Ion's leadership, I'd say.
    XingbairongBrotherMaynardAlomarPalebanegastovski1JeffSpicoli
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130

btdt said:

I agree but also disagree. It going this way is beautiful for a large segment of players. How they did it ensures certain types of players are mostly consolidated, making which server to pick easier for my kind of people who are looking to play with my kind of people and looking to avoid servers filled with certain personality types and players with completely antithetical thinking and whose values are anathema to us.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

"In the EU, five new servers are coming: Flamelash, Gandling, Mograine, Nethergarde Keep and Razorgore. All of these are English-language servers, and they are all PvP realms except for Nethergarde Keep."

Google is hard.
    AxxarSignex
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    everybody should just que on He-rod server and see how big the que gets
    Palebane
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Even the NA RP server that has shown the lowest pop all along, shows as "high" now. I fully expect the server list to be double what it currently is by next week at this time.

At least I'm sure the 2004 database bug that made opening a bag take 5 minutes or more is fixed by now :)
    Xingbairong
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

Phry said:

UK here, already planning to set my alarm for 4am, so i get enough sleep and hopefully miss the first few hours that might have 'problems' something i haven't done for games of any kind for years  :p

I have the same thoughts. Where I live in EU the servers will launch 01:00AM... it's better to just get some sleep and start in the morning when(I hope) queues and server issues will be less :D

I can't believe this is actually happening... I've been wanting an officla classic server for years now, even during expansions that I liked. There's just something to classic that no other game have, at least for me.
    ManWithNoTan
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Iselin said:
    Even the NA RP server that has shown the lowest pop all along, shows as "high" now. I fully expect the server list to be double what it currently is by next week at this time.

At least I'm sure the 2004 database bug that made opening a bag take 5 minutes or more is fixed by now :)
    Damn it! Loot lag was all part and parcel of what made classic Wow so epic! Just like ridiculous server queues and terrible server performance. How dare Blizzard take those away from players who want a "true" Wow classic experience!! ..... or not. >:)
    I put loot lag to good use in 2004. I used that time to try to figure out why my Ret Paladin sucked so badly. Unfortunately they fixed loot lag so I never did figure it out.
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Will be interesting to see which guild gets a player to max level first.  Hopefully no gold sellers like the old days.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KickaxeKickaxe Member UncommonPosts: 167
    The old horse was tired from lack of food; and we did get her some oats. But why oh why would we take Ol Blanchy's feed bag and favourite blanket as reward?

This is a relevant question related to the announcement of the Old Blanchy server.

I demand answers!
    IselinManWithNoTan
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Kickaxe said:
    The old horse was tired from lack of food; and we did get her some oats. But why oh why would we take Ol Blanchy's feed bag and favourite blanket as reward?

This is a relevant question related to the announcement of the Old Blanchy server.

I demand answers!
    they really didn't like blanchy, they probably killed her too.
    KickaxeManWithNoTan

Phry said:

Same, I went to bed at 7am today, slept until around 12 so my sleep pattern is now nocturne which enables me to play when theres less people.

My life is this exciting. :(
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation

Utinni said:

"In the EU, five new servers are coming: Flamelash, Gandling, Mograine, Nethergarde Keep and Razorgore. All of these are English-language servers, and they are all PvP realms except for Nethergarde Keep."

Google is hard.

Google is hard, but doing his job properly is even harder.

But thinking that people interested in Classic WoW (who have waited all these years for the server) might not be checking the forums daily, even hourly... now thats impossible!
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865

btdt said:

I used to think this, but it is not really true. The only reason they are able to determine how many servers they need is because name reservations exist. Hell, that won't even be accurate as there will be a TON more people showing up after release. It is the best thing they got though to collect data on how many people are planning to play. (Since the only other concrete data they have is WoW subs, which they can't tell if they are subbing for retail or for classic with) HOWEVER.....the way they are doing it is crap. They should have people reserve names / create characters on an external client / website that has nothing to do with the WoW client itself.