Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Apex Legends producer calls players a bunch of stuff that is probably true

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Gdemami said:
    Sabrac said:
     complete lack of self-awareness of their actions regarding these monetization tactics and their obvious attempt to target the "whales" in their player base.
    ...and where is an issue with that?

Their game, their money, their monetization.

You don't like it? Fair enough but that is where it stops. You don't have to buy nor play their game.

Gaming is not your right, everything else is just
    self-entitlement.
    A few points.  It's not THEIR money.  It's the customer's money and they want it.
    And gaming is not a right, but discussion surely is.  And discussing what people see as poor practices is certainly everyone's right as long as it is not done in a violent manner or breaks some other law.

I totally agree that (outside gambling boxes targeted at kinds) a company can charge whatever they want for their product.  They can charge by the bullet, by the life, by the minute.  Whatever.  But they have to expect that it takes 2 to tango and prospective customers WILL be allowed to discuss that.  Just like if HBO decided to go to a pay/minute concept or if DisneyWorld raises their prices and change their ticketing scheme. 

Videogames are not unique.

Game companies aren't blind to what they charge and how their customers will react. All companies continually discuss this stuff.

They charge for "loot boxes" because they can and know that they can get the money they want. If the times change when it's considered a huge detriment for them they will suddenly come out with some statement saying that he customer comes first and they have listened blah blah blah and now they no longer implement them.

If they continue to get a lot of money from them and the ire dies down then it will obviously continue.

Players can complain all they want but I suspect that, at least for the moment, game companies make a LOT of money with this stuff and will continue, much to the disappointment of those who dislike it.
    Slapshot1188klash2defvandal5627foppotee
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I guess we change the old marketing adage to: "The Customer is always ... an asshat."
    AlBQuirkyfoppotee

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• BladeburaibaBladeburaiba Member UncommonPosts: 132
    kitarad said:
    Why doesn't anyone exercise any restraint? Don't buy no, is it that hard not to buy?
    The answer is apparently "No."  We are not responsible for our self-restraint, others are.
    foppotee
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxB1RM11qzo

This is why I cannot support people who like F2P games.   Because you are the reason why Microtransactions get put into this games because you bitched about paying $180 for a Subscription a year.  YET you have games like Aptex which is going to nickle and dime everyones stupid add for 2 weeks for $140 and then a month or 2 later do the same shit for another $140.   Yea not all games are worth $15 a month but you can easy say hey why dont they just put all this shit into game and charge $9.99 for a month which is $119.88 a year without a BOX cost and it would be BETTER for the gamer.   Why?  Because if the game is SHIT players will stop paying for their subscription vs playing a head game with you to get you to purchase Microtransactions that are going to cost you several times a subscription over the course of a year.   

Microtransactions is why Bobby Kotick and Andrew Wilson screw over the customer.  These are MONEY guys not PRODUCT guys.  And like Steve Jobs said when the Money guys take over a company they run the product and company into the ground.   If people never purchased the Miroctransactions in the first place you would see someone like Mike Morhaime running these companies someone who is a developer and a GAMER.  Not Bobby KoDICK.   Is mike Morhaime as much of a gamer as people on this site, NO.  But he once was a guy that played games a bit.  You could even see someone like Jeff Kaplan leading these companies.  But when its ALL about the Money and making you part with as much money as possible vs hundred dollars or two for the whole YEAR these companies will find ways to take your money for little effort.  Because its ALL about the Money not your enjoyment.  
    Gdemami
    Amathe said:
    I guess we change the old marketing adage to: "The Customer is always ... an asshat."
    There has always been a contingent of customers who were always "asshats."

that hasn't changed. 

Companies need to, in my opinion, always be professional. They don't have to cater to everything a customer wants but they have to treat the customer as if they would.

AmatheIselinfoppoteeblastermaster[Deleted User]

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Sovrath said:
    Gdemami said:
    Sabrac said:
     complete lack of self-awareness of their actions regarding these monetization tactics and their obvious attempt to target the "whales" in their player base.
    ...and where is an issue with that?

Their game, their money, their monetization.

You don't like it? Fair enough but that is where it stops. You don't have to buy nor play their game.

Gaming is not your right, everything else is just
    self-entitlement.
    A few points.  It's not THEIR money.  It's the customer's money and they want it.
    And gaming is not a right, but discussion surely is.  And discussing what people see as poor practices is certainly everyone's right as long as it is not done in a violent manner or breaks some other law.

I totally agree that (outside gambling boxes targeted at kinds) a company can charge whatever they want for their product.  They can charge by the bullet, by the life, by the minute.  Whatever.  But they have to expect that it takes 2 to tango and prospective customers WILL be allowed to discuss that.  Just like if HBO decided to go to a pay/minute concept or if DisneyWorld raises their prices and change their ticketing scheme. 

Videogames are not unique.

Game companies aren't blind to what they charge and how their customers will react. All companies continually discuss this stuff.

They charge for "loot boxes" because they can and know that they can get the money they want. If the times change when it's considered a huge detriment for them they will suddenly come out with some statement saying that he customer comes first and they have listened blah blah blah and now they no longer implement them.

If they continue to get a lot of money from them and the ire dies down then it will obviously continue.

Players can complain all they want but I suspect that, at least for the moment, game companies make a LOT of money with this stuff and will continue, much to the disappointment of those who dislike it.
    I agree with all that.  I just do not believe that the only options are:
    1) Deal with it 
    or
    2) Move on because you are a self-entitled crybaby (as others would indicate)

I think there are other options such as complaining, perhaps in vain... but perhaps not.  After all if nobody spoke up about gambling boxes then no changes would occur.  And while they certainly still exist, at least there is some momentum toward positive change such as actually listing the odds. 

IselinfoppoteeGdemami[Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Tiller said:

The original title is was better and much funnier.

Apex Legends producer calls players 'ass-hats' and 'dicks' in heated Reddit thread

Seriously though, when have players ever been nice to game developers? Unless you go as far back as  pre-mainstream internet days (early 90's), I can't think of one point where gamers weren't toxic demanding asshats towards developers. Even in the early 2000's toxicity was there, just in chat rooms and forums. The trust seems to be gone on both sides of the coin. Drew McCoy does ask a good question, how do we get back there? Time machine perhaps, cause it's never coming back.

The attitudes of gamers directly correlate with modern business practices. We didn't change. They did, and for the worse.

That doesn't mean that all backlash is acceptable. Death threats from cowards hiding behind the veil of anonimity aren't acceptable, and do nothing but obscure legitimate criticism.
    Slapshot1188AlverantfoppoteeGdemami[Deleted User]
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    I chalk a lot of it up to players' "fanaticism." "We", as a group, latch on to almost any game we hear coming into development. Then, we gobble up all pertinent information and sit back and dream while we wait.

When the game releases, our expectations are so high that no game could ever live up to them. Then, we react as if our dog just died. We're disappointed. Worst of all, we're mad. Mad. As. Hell. We practice as much restraint showing our feelings as we did dreaming up how this wonderful game would be.

Now, to the INTERNET!!!111!1111!!!

The developers didn't respond well, either. They must be gamers, too :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    For my part, I don't think that the terrible community management warrants blacklisting the developer outright, but they are on my watchlist for now. Depending on their words and actions in future, I may support the next game (Jedi Fallen Order) or not buy it (or wait for a deep discount when my sale would not contribute to those launch figures that matter most). 

I don't view this as gamers being asshats. I view this as a small case of corporate contempt. I've seen worse, and I'll be watching to see if Respawn does worse.
    Gdemami
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Tiller said:

Apex Legends producer calls players 'ass-hats' and 'dicks' in heated Reddit thread

Seriously though, when have players ever been nice to game developers? Unless you go as far back as  pre-mainstream internet days (early 90's), I can't think of one point where gamers weren't toxic demanding asshats towards developers. Even in the early 2000's toxicity was there, just in chat rooms and forums. The trust seems to be gone on both sides of the coin. Drew McCoy does ask a good question, how do we get back there? Time machine perhaps, cause it's never coming back.

maybe players wouldn't be ass hats, if devs did they job right? something to think about.

AlverantfoppoteeGdemami
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    Respawn: Player are freeloaders.
    Players: Bye. Next game.
    Alverantfoppoteeanemo
    Tiller said:

maybe players wouldn't be ass hats, if devs did they job right? something to think about.

My experience with "People" is that some are asshats no matter what.
    foppotee

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    And here you wonder why gaming become more retard .

Look at those developers , years ago they don't even dare to say something like that .
    foppoteeGdemamipsiic
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    edited August 2019
    Sovrath said:
    Tiller said:

Sure, in all business they have asshats no matter what business, but you don't call your customer asshats, it's equal to dumping gasoline to a fire, makes matter way worse than it's already is.
    foppoteeGdemami[Deleted User][Deleted User]
    Sovrath said:
    Tiller said:

Sure, in all business they have asshats no matter what business, but you don't call your customer asshats, it's equal to dumping gasoline to a fire, makes matter way worse than it's already is.
    I don't disagree as I mentioned above.
    foppotee

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Stay tuned for next week's game update. Apex Legends makes "yo mama" jokes.
    AlverantfoppoteeSabrac[Deleted User]AlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Way to lower yourself to the level of the asshats and dicks.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    OK let's say he is right for a moment. A very small moment. The video game industry is one of maybe a handful of  billion dollar industries where you can consistently, lie, cheat, steal, and commit consumer fraud hourly without ANY risk of going to prison for it. The criminality that game developers get away with simply because government really has no idea how to regulate the industry is insane. Many game developers do not even try and hide their criminality they just flaunt it, and even when they do attract the attention of  district attorneys and attorney generals, making a case stick against them is impossible because the laws are not malleable enough and most people judges included look at video games and its victims with a dubious eye to start with. I mean how do you suffer injury from video games? 

For that answer we would need to go back to the late 70's and early 80's when Bally Pinball company spent millions on endorphin and serotonin research. They invested in addiction studies and researched the right combination of lights, sounds, and repetition to stimulate addiction centers of our brains. That research technology is employed in many video games especially those with cash shop loot boxes. Pretty damn shady trying to turn us all into junkies, but its done all over the world to the tune of multiple billions of dollars.

Yes game developers have lost civil suits in far larger numbers than anyone is even aware of because EVERY settlement made comes with that huge and binding NDA attached nobody ever realized how often game developers are sued and lose. However the suits are usually pretty insignificant in comparison to any other billion dollar industry where people would be spending decades in jail if they tried the same things.   

On the other side of the coin, yes some game developers are amazing they are artists they create they are geniuses and they provide us with escape from our pathetic mundane dreary lives of endless tedium and mind numbing depression, but in those rare cases the best they can hope for is hours played, because if we love what they create we usually do not have time to spend writing a review to tell them so. Usually we are so immersed in what they have created prying us loose even to eat or sleep is a task of epic proportion. Therefore, the compliments may only be voiced in all those hours spent devouring the world they created for us, and yes that is a great tragedy and our failure as players.
    Gdemami
  • FreelancerNDFreelancerND Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Aaaand? Isn't it a widely cherished "free market"? Devs are now making games and monetization choices gamers do not like. Okay, supply clearly misses the demand. In all other cases - when you make a junk product you go broke. The same for devs, they make a product hoping WE buy it. Simple. Aren't THEY should satisfy our demand with supply? No? Then they can go and change occupation to something more fitting their behavior.
    And to that stupid argument: "But this way all devs would quit and stop making games! What would we do!!". No, devs wont, we would just have a much more healthier market. Just like post Video Game Crash 1983.
    I specifically wait for mobile "devs" to go fuck themselves, this cesspool must go down.
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    edited August 2019
    I'm glad to see developers sticking up for what they believe to be true, because they are 100% right MOST of them are entitled whine bags, ass-hats, dicks. Thanks to social media we now have a place where all the whine bags can coordinate and be heard.  Calling their community freeloaders however, that was a below the belt punch that shouldn't have happened. That just fueled the drama.

For context.

I used to work at a Home Depot when I was in college many many moons ago and would regularly pick up shifts that would be at the Return Counter because I had zero issues with telling a person to fuck off "politely" if they don't follow protocol.  However a new store manager emerged and believed entirely that the customer was always right no matter what the story was that they just took anything back, no receipt, no proof. It was this unwritten rule that if the customer pushed back the store manager had to come up and speak with them.

So it's mid summer this guy and his brat kid come in with this old junk ass walking lawn mower, you can tell it was well used by the amount of broken shit on it, blades dented and twisted, the pull line was cut and replaced with some metal ring tied to the pull string.  Just a straight mess, he had nothing of proof of purchase and he knew he was getting his way no matter what.  I immediately go in the fuck off "politely" script of come back with receipt etc etc.  This dude and his kid effectively just started going RRRRRRRRRReeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee (todays lingo, we'd probably use "off the chain" or "off the hook" back then I think), just yelling at the top of their lungs that they just bought it and it's a piece of shit etc.

Store Manager comes running out of the woodwork (no pun intented) starts talking to this guy while he's still yelling at the top of his lungs and the entire place is silence and trained eyes towards the situation.  I'm trying to resist my urge to deck this guy in the fuckin face at this point.  His kid starts screaming about me being a liar trying to say I said things I've never said.  Any other store manager would have stuck up for their employee and the morals of the company but this sad sack of shit is holding back tears and tells the guy and kid to come with him.  They go to the garden section, he picks out a brand new lawn mower, not even the model he brought in.  In fact we don't even carry the brand...  Guy and kid walks it out the door, stops and looks at me and screams. I WANT HIM FIRED! That was the first day in my life that I actually wanted to strangle someone to death.  It made me well aware that people in general are just fuckin ass-hats and dicks when they want to be and want what they want and aren't afraid to push their agenda until something is done with.  Even people that do so much good in this world have their moments.  Passion escalates the hostility and the toxicity.

I quit working there shortly after that.

The point is, if you find the right guy in the right situation you can get anything you want and social media is doing exactly that.  These devs are feeling what I felt where enough is enough and this shit has to stop. The customer isn't always right and you shouldn't have to pander to them like they are royalty. Let enough people bitch and whine unspoken and it just escalates until some representative says something and then it just snowballs. 
    Post edited by Hashbrick on
    GdemamipsiicAeanderCaffynated
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 508
    So developers are calling players, potential customers, freeloaders & ass-hats for playing the free-to-play game & complaining about aspects about it?

This particular developer, I think it was a developer, sounds very entitled & is complaining about exactly what he is doing regarding toxicity, very unprofessional & just as describing all players this way I suppose all developers from Respawn might have this attitude while throwing temper tantrums too.

If for example a player/customer had (ocd) obsessive compulsive disorder I would sympathize with that player/customer in dealing with some 'collection' compulsion, but hopefully such a case would have a system or a person to safeguard against this.

All of this is cosmetic so it doesn't really bother me & as their game they can charge what they want.

I'll probably still play Apex a little but don't plan to purchase anything from them now given the company's 'real' attitude & approach.

In the end I'm guessing most gaming companies feel this way towards their games' players/customers & a good way to express any disdain is with the wallet especially towards unregulated gambling in video games. 
    GdemamiAeanderCaffynated
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited August 2019
    foppotee said:
    So developers are calling players, potential customers, freeloaders & ass-hats for playing the free-to-play game & complaining about aspects about it?
    No. He calls ass-hats for being ass-hats and freeloaders for being freeloaders.
    alkarionlogAeanderCaffynated
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    The problem is that there is very little common ground anymore.  On one end you have developers launching games for "free" but anyone with two functioning brain cell knows where that leads.

Then on the other end you have games selling 200 dollar loot boxes and enticing players to spend 2k a month to play their games.

It's very hard for the average person to measure value anymore, it's all hidden behind free to play entry points,  200 dollar a month end game content like BDO,  and core systems designed around the cash shop.   Most people think free games are a good value and anything you pay for is a P2W scam. So the minute they start spending money at any denomination, they are bitter.

It's no longer just a straight transaction.  Here's your 40 bucks, here's the whole game go have fun.  Did you have fun for your 40 bucks yes/no?

A huge part of the criticism and toxicity of today's gamer is fueled unknowing, by the murky payment methods.  People are being taken advantage of and they don't understand how its happening really, your average gamer isn't sophisticated enough on the business side of things to see the big picture, they think they understand whats happening but they really don't.  And every confused and emotional gamer now has a voice somewhere.

Its like all the shlups that go to VEGAS and think they know how the system works.

Gaming has gone from being a mostly wonderful / entrancing / relaxing hobby shared with a like minded community , to a toxic love hate relationship.
    GdemamiAlBQuirky
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    edited August 2019
    Respawn: Player are freeloaders.
    Players: Bye. Next game.
    EA already has data from previous games that even full P2W barely touches DAU.

Likewise they have data that forum-ers don't do what they say.  They literally have data that the loudest complainers spend 10x more than the normies.

Sure this is a decade old, but such numbers have been locked a bit more:  https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/123779/GDC_2011_Perfecting_The_FreeToPlay_Battlefield_Heroes.php

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• The user and all related content has been deleted.