Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscription only MMOs are pay to win and its good they mostly died out

12346»

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    edited August 2019
    Scorchien said:
    Ungood said:
    Scorchien said:
    Ungood said:
    Scorchien said:
    Ungood said:
    Scorchien said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Defining pay to win by being around a long time is silly because there was no pay to win except buying an account on ebay.  Pay to win has always been pay for advantages, relief of unnatural grinds or whatever unholy shit developers use to entice you into cash shops.  Don't pretend because you played EQ or whatever qualifies you as old school has any bearing on new school issue of cash shops and P2W.
    I'm going to scrape away your bullshit.

And now, Hopefully, I will also scrape away your ignorance.

P2W was in fact exactly that. That is why it had such a negative stigma.

It was very common in PvP games, often passed off as "Strategy War Games" where you could go to the cash shop and but whatever you needed to kick the holy shit out of anyone, and no amount of skill, grind, friends, alliances, guilds, or anything else they possessed in game could save their sorry asses.. the only way they were going to counter was by paying cold hard cash in the shop to get what they needed to either defend, or kick your ass in return.

Everyone's ass had a price tag on it, all a matter of how much you needed to spend to beat them, IE: Pay to Win.

This is what gave the term P2W teeth, why it elicited such outrage. I mean think about that, can you imagine playing a PvP game where all your skill, time and effort was meaningless to someone that was willing to spend some money? And you know, I wish I was joking about this, but I played these games first hand, and it was as bad as it sounded.

That is why people lost their shit when they heard that a game was P2W.

That is not to be confused with the candyass waterdown term that people use today to mean "It has a cash shop" or "I just don't want to spend money" or some other nonsense that it has become obscured into.. down to people calling Cosmetics, Expansions.. and now.. Subs.. P2W.

Even if you do not see things from my view.. at least appreciate the irony that this is to me.
    What MMORPG are you talking about?  Pay to Win is always pay for advantage.  Meaning, I got to cash shop and I have an advantage over you.  The degrees vary but that is the basis.  Whether a death sword or being unnaturally bad odds to upgrade. 

ya know.. sometimes the truth is so obvious it hurts.. If it was always and only "Pay for Advantage" they would not have called it Pay to Win.

So..  again...  the term was born in PvP Strategy Games (IE: Evony), not MMO's in fact the term never really had any place in MMO's (given how unbalanced they are anyway)... not even sure how it got there.. Oh right.. it got watered down to shit and people used it to mean anything they didn't want to spend money on.. 

Oh, would you look at where we are now.. 
    naahhh , people were calling it P2W in UO in 98 when 7x Gm accts were going up for sale , along with the best gear ..Long before Evony and its ilk were a thing
    Oh the black market account sales? LOL, they were not called P2W.. ever.
    The certainly were , i was there , and thats what we called them ..
    So was I.. and no we didn't. 

Thats odd , cause in this recent thread , you said ..

"Anyway.. after my time in Full Loot Open World PvP MUDs, I was glad to move on to PvE only games, and not deal with that level of douchebaggery, which might be why I never got involved with UO."

Fraud

But those accounts (like many others of their ilk) were sold Outside the Game.. on an private auction house, for RMT, which did affect other games (like EQ, which I was actively playing at the time) and were the talk across all gaming forums, and they were not called P2W. 

Anything else you want to be wrong about in this thread?
    You honestly are not worth arguing with as this community is becoming more and more aware of each time you post ..

But yes , we discussed it alot in ICQ at the time and it was P2W , and oddly enough it was also very easy to pick out those players very fast ..

Free to Play , Pay to Play ( AOL was commonly known as ) and Pay to Win were all phrases commonly used in the mid to late 90s into the early 2000 , then they caught more steam thru mid to late 2000s as the genre grew expotentionly

im done here you keep on your self destructive rants the community has become accustomed to it , altho its painfully transparent and boring ..

Anything else you want to lie about in this thread?
    Trust me. Read my signature and get out while you can!   
    Also, I’m pretty sure we will have this same P2P = P2W topic in a few months.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    When did “pay to win” begin standing for “paying for your entertainment” instead of actually paying to win the game? 
    To answer this question, it really started to pick up popular misuse around 6 years ago with the vast influx of F2P MMO's, along with the coinciding cash shops that went with it, now some were in fact bad enough to be mert the title P2W, but, it snowballed badly and suddenly everyone and their sibling was calling any kind of cash shop "P2W" 

It's gotten really bad the last few years where even things like cosmetics have been called P2W by some outraged gamers... it's really gotten sad.

The funny part of all this, is that if look at the counter arguments on this topic, you will see a common trend where people will say that P2W always and only meant that it was paying for an advantage. 

Like more character power, or better gear or some such other miniscule boon that someone would pay money to get.

Now, don't be fooled, this is a bare faced lie. The reality is, if there was any truth to their point odr stand than Expansions would have been the iconic example of what paying for advantage is all about, as they always offered more power, better gear to those that bought them, giving them a direct and some some cases overwhelming advantage over those that didn't buy the expansion, and since they could both inhabit the same game world, this was in in every way, direct and absolute advantage given to the player that paid for the expansion over those that didn't.

So, why didn't anyone call these Expansions P2W way back something like 17 years ago when EQ was pumping out a new expansion a year that cost the full box set of the game, pretty much forcing players to pay box game costs + sub annually to stay current?

Well, there are two very good reasons why Expansions were never called P2W back then.

The first, is despite the bullshit of some other posters here, the term was not in popular use back then, and reserved for only legit cases of P2W.

The Second is that P2W, again despite the bullshit of other posters here, didn't mean something as benign as "Paying for Advantage"

So there you have it.. that is the little history lesson.. and why things are where they are.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

edited August 2019
    Trust me. Read my signature and get out while you can!   
    Also, I’m pretty sure we will have this same P2P = P2W topic in a few months.
    I commonly ignore Some posters, I just don't need to be a whiny about it and put it in my signature... but I might take that approach.. thanks for the idea! 
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Ungood said:
    When did “pay to win” begin standing for “paying for your entertainment” instead of actually paying to win the game? 
    To answer this question, it really started to pick up popular misuse around 6 years ago with the vast influx of F2P MMO's, along with the coinciding cash shops that went with it, now some were in fact bad enough to be mert the title P2W, but, it snowballed badly and suddenly everyone and their sibling was calling any kind of cash shop "P2W" 

It's gotten really bad the last few years where even things like cosmetics have been called P2W by some outraged gamers... it's really gotten sad.

The funny part of all this, is that if look at the counter arguments on this topic, you will see a common trend where people will say that P2W always and only meant that it was paying for an advantage. 

Like more character power, or better gear or some such other miniscule boon that someone would pay money to get.

Now, don't be fooled, this is a bare faced lie. The reality is, if there was any truth to their point odr stand than Expansions would have been the iconic example of what paying for advantage is all about, as they always offered more power, better gear to those that bought them, giving them a direct and some some cases overwhelming advantage over those that didn't buy the expansion, and since they could both inhabit the same game world, this was in in every way, direct and absolute advantage given to the player that paid for the expansion over those that didn't.

So, why didn't anyone call these Expansions P2W way back something like 17 years ago when EQ was pumping out a new expansion a year that cost the full box set of the game, pretty much forcing players to pay box game costs + sub annually to stay current?

Well, there are two very good reasons why Expansions were never called P2W back then.

The first, is despite the bullshit of some other posters here, the term was not in popular use back then, and reserved for only legit cases of P2W.

The Second is that P2W, again despite the bullshit of other posters here, didn't mean something as benign as "Paying for Advantage"

So there you have it.. that is the little history lesson.. and why things are where they are.
    Name me one P2W game that isn't about advantage.  What MMORPG you go to the cash shop and your competition literally loses, dies or whatever instantly.  

Expansions aren't called pay to win because they are extensions of the game that must be played.  The advantage of playing new content is playing new content.  You don't pay for the new content then you don't play the new content.  New gameplay will never been considered P2W except by true nutballs.  

When you are talking P2W.  You are talking going to buy things in cash shop that give an advantage you can't get in gameplay or hindered to push you buy it from the cash shop by extreme time.  It is always about an advantage.

SteelhelmUngoodPhaserlight
  • SplitStream13SplitStream13 Member UncommonPosts: 250
    edited August 2019
    The OP is not completely wrong, in a macro sense. What he wrote is bunch of bullshit but think about it for a moment. The more you pay - the stronger you get, naturally. I mean ... 1 year vet is stronger than a 3 month account (usually). The 1 year vet paid 150$. Thing is, with subscription MMOs you can't just dink 150$ and reach the 1 year vet so you guys think that it's fair game. 

However, in subscription games, logically, the developers are enticed to introduce more time-gated content to a) Keep old players playing the game and b) Not allow newbies reach endgame quickly. Especially in the case of WoW - rolling out the expansion over months at a time. So what do we have here? iirc WoW had basegame price + expansion price + subscription price. And once the expansion came, it was split in campaigns that were dropped every 2-3 months (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm sorry but I just don't see how that's not a shady business practice. I didn't play WoW, I was more of a Lineage 2 type. It was a subscription MMO. It took you a month to level up, grinding every day for hours on end. And when you died in PVP you lost experience. So technically you could calculate a lot of money.

Many of you will disagree that P2P is paying for an advantage, but in those types of games, the way they are developed - TIME is the advantage you get. The more time you play the stronger you become. In Lineage 2 my buddy and I bitchslapped some noobs 2v12. If that's balanced, go drink your kool-aid

OP mentions Gw2 and I tend to agree that out of all games it has the fairest model. It basically is up to you how good you become. No RNG bullshit, no P2W bullshit, no subscription bullshit. You buy the box and you forget. If you want a Legendary weapon, you know what to do. 

I do understand that developers need to make a living, after all but I for one am glad the subscription model died out (for the most part), though I am unhappy with the state of the MMO genre and most games in it. Cheap, limited with draconian loot box systems that make a subscription based model look cool, which it isn't. Sad that more games can't implement Guild Wars 2's model. I think it is the best model for a game. 

But it doesn't matter. Big AAA developers moved away from MMOs and into "game as a service" with tons of online features so they feel like MMOs. Possibly the next Assassin's Creed game will be a better MMO than WoW. Assassin's Creed Odyssey is almost as MMOesque as WoW, they just need to add some co-op and it's a MMO for all intends and purposes. 

^ And the consumer wins here too. With always-on games developers are not forced to implement crap like Denuvo DRM to protect their games. 

Games like Overwatch are completely handled by their publishers and they host millions of players at all time. You fire up servers, games, lobbies at 0 additional cost. And as a bonus there's no bullshit DRM in them. I think that's fantastic. Also there's continuous development. 

And don't forget MMO black markets. With cash shops at least now the developers get the money. Back in the day, I was buying and selling raid jewels off of eBay. 
  • SplitStream13SplitStream13 Member UncommonPosts: 250
    msgnomer said:
    I scanned the comments and it's been said in many ways by now, but I can't help adding my voice since I miss the days of subscription games which were the exact opposite of pay-to-win games.  In a subscription game, you paid to play and everyone was on an equal playing field.  You couldn't spend more and get advantages.  What you got for your fee were feature and story rich games with regular maintenance and feature updates.   You really could escape into the game because once you paid your fee, you weren't constantly confronted with items you had to buy if you wanted to progress or experience some aspect of the game.  Talk about immersion-breaking!
    Not really true. There are "black markets" for valuable items, for level boosting and so on. Which, yes, against the EULA, is very very hard to detect and punish properly, especially nowadays when huge chunk of MMO gamers are using network boosting tools and they change IP/continent at a per login basis.
    Steelhelm
  • kryntokkryntok Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Utinni said:
    TwoTubes said:
    I love how the op uses games without a pure subscription model as an example.  They probably were to young to remember when that was a thing and are a little confused because so few games use that payment model anymore.

I'm sure others brought this up...but I'm not going to read the entire thread.  It is amusing anyway.
    The classic "don't agree with me so they must be a kid" defense. 
    You might be a kid or not...idk but you are certainly a troll....ewww

TwoTubes
    edited August 2019
    Ungood said:

Name me one P2W game that isn't about advantage.  What MMORPG you go to the cash shop and your competition literally loses, dies or whatever instantly.  

Expansions aren't called pay to win because they are extensions of the game that must be played.  The advantage of playing new content is playing new content.  You don't pay for the new content then you don't play the new content.  New gameplay will never been considered P2W except by true nutballs.  

When you are talking P2W.  You are talking going to buy things in cash shop that give an advantage you can't get in gameplay or hindered to push you buy it from the cash shop by extreme time.  It is always about an advantage.

Did you miss the other posters talk about being able to to buy the ability to one shot kill another player?

Edit: Nevermind, The answer is obviously Yes.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    I would rather have a monthly subscription and NO ingame item shop that requires Real Money to buy from, Its fine having in game item shops as long as that curancy can be earned within the game itself from doing some sort of daily quests/faction quests from that territory.

At least then you do know how much the game is going to cost you. Expansions and main game is fine to buy. They do need money to keep servers running, the more players, playing the more income you get. If populations decline as had with alot of other games inc what used to be subscription based and Buy 2 Play models that have gone free to play now but are very heavy with the in game purchase item shops.
    Instead of cutting teh sub from £10 a month to £5 (yep i know its a big drop) but how many peeps would buy a 3, 6 or even 12 month sub, meaning its available for a while, even if you play another game (right now alot play 1 and then play something else 1-2 mths later, go back to game 1 3 mths later and just switch between them when they fancy playing, but only ever have the 1 game subscribed to.

In game item shops are a demonic shambles in the gaming world, peeps can get hooked and spend alot more than they realize that they have done. I know 3 peeps who did this and were all adamant that in game item shops were way better than a monthly sub because it only cost £3-6, so i asked them to tally up what they spent in a month and it came to £50+ a month over the timeframe as opposed to £8.99 (what the monthly sub was back then).

So anyone who is in favour of these Item Shops and Loot Crate/Box's are fooling themselves and easily manipulated.
    Wargfoot said:
    I bought a hamburger today.
    A pay-to-win hamburger.
    Was it the Impossible Burger.. nothing can beat that.. it's Impossible! 

This discussion has been closed.