Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where is everyone at?

cichy1012cichy1012 Member UncommonPosts: 345
Im 45 years old. I have been playing MMO's since Ultima Online and of course the notorious Everquest. Whatever has been released; I have played. I have a tendency to go back and fourth constantly always trying to find that one MMO to capture my attention. Question being; those of you around my age that are at battle with looking for that one MMO again; what are you all playing? Where are you at? I have hopes for Pantheon, but that's about it.
HyperpsycrowLeFantome

Comments

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    ESO and NMS right now...

I finally totally deleted WoW from my PC.

I still have DCUO, Neverwinter & Star Trek to try, but I may never get to them.

I may go back to SWTOR at some point, but not sure.

It's looking bleak on the MMORPG horizon for me right now.

Gut Out!
    AlBQuirkyLeFantome

What, me worry?

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    pokemon go.  Play mmorpg in the real world.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    I know this feel, and as a fellow older gamer, it is a hard feeling to just be floating looking for something to get lost into again.

For a long time GW2 held my attention.. then.. I dunno.. they opted to put in raids and hard core content and all that.. and it was like.. "meh.. screw this"

Which is kind of ironic, because I went back to Dungeons and Dragons Online, and returned to raiding there, but Raids in DDO are an integral aspect of the game, the game was built and designed with raids in mind, by people who were invested into making engaging raids, whereas in GW2 raids were an huge pile of disjointed fecal matter compared to the raids in DDO. 

So I figured.. if I was gonna have to deal with raids.. I was gonna do it right.

Anyway.. right now, I spend most of my game time playing a WH40K PvP Arena Game, called Eternal Crusade, because they are fast and brutal hot matches that can blow some time in and then go to bed.. no long grinds and other drawn out busy work of most modern MMO's along with all the social dram associated with that kind of stuff.. just fast, visceral, PvP brutality in an IP I enjoy.

I have my eye on Ashes of Creation, that is looking like it could be a lot of fun, Pantheon rise of the Fallen, looks like it's gonna be a throwback MMO, in all the wrong ways, but.. I'll still give it a look see when it launches.

or yah.. and screwing around on game forums.. 
    bcbully
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    LOTRO and replaying some older single-player RPGs like Mass Effect. LOTRO is still my go-to MMO, it's not perfect but I love the lore and the world, and I feel like there's enough content that I could never actually get through it all. The community is pretty friendly too.
    Sovrath
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I'm playing the ancient (30+ years old) MUD, Gemstone IV.  I've been playing almost daily for the last year and a half or so.  It's got a great community and lots of role playing.  I'm also in a Discord channel with my GS friends.
    Hawkaya399Phaserlight
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Single player games for me, too. Not much hope, really, though Pantheon looks interesting and I backed the City of Titans Kickstarter that sports a cash shop and I'm not too hopeful for it.

I did try to get back into City of Heroes, but there was a reason I stopped playing quite awhile before it shut down. I'm debating about WoW Classic. Not sure I want to go there.

Oh! I do occasionally play Wizard101. I may get the bug every 2 to 4 months and log in for a few days.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Planetside 2, no rpg's look good honestly. I bounce around between No Mans Sky, Crowfall, PS2, and a few shooters.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 914
    Im soon 40 and im also looking for a mmorpg that keeps my attention..But these days are faint.
    Mmorpg games are dying faster than they can be created. So atm i started with Never winter online. It is not bad but not good either. A place holder until wow vanilla starts i guess.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited August 2019
    Gave up after Warhammer and Age of Conan. Been back to WoW and EQ a few times. Spent a year in ESO, which was a blast and probably as close as I’ve come to that old feeling, but I dont think mmos are my cup of tea any longer. Maybe one day.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    Palebane said:
    Gave up after Warhammer and Age of Conan. Been back to WoW and EQ a few times. Spent a year in ESO, which was a blast and probably as close as I’ve come to that old feeling, but I dont think mmos are my cup of tea any longer. Maybe one day.

Was there a specific reason you quit playing ESO?

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited August 2019
    Palebane said:

Was there a specific reason you quit playing ESO?

I just got bored with it. Its a great game but is very limited in the multiplayer aspect, imo. That could just be me though. I also dislike the trader system, which is a major let down as farming and trading is usually my main focus beyond exploring and leveling up. I got to the point where I had millions of gold and nothing to spend it on because I really dont care about housing at all. With no social connections it just seemed a little pointless after a year of it.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I'm only a little younger.

I don't play any MMORPGs any more, and haven't for over 6 years.

I tend to test out all the big releases to see whether I'll enjoy them or not, but nothing has stuck so far. I really hate action combat, its too shallow, so that has ruled out the majority of new releases. But, I hang around, watching for news of new games and updates for old games, hoping that something will take my fancy.

Only thing on the horizon that fits my playstyle is Camelot Unchained. Deep combat mechanics, horizontal progression, it's actually massively multiplayer, an IP that looks entertaining and a ton of objective-based PvP.

Until then, I'll continue playing through all the interesting single player games out there. When I used to play MMOs, that was all I played, so there are about 8 years worth of single player games I missed out on. It's been fun going through them, as well as more modern ones.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Learned too much over the years so now all those mediocre to bad games just look bad instead of new and intriguing.

I don't see a single developer out there trying to make a great game,everything is just a money/business angle.
    Some games have a nice template to allow other devs to make better games but again,devs only copy what they see making money,the BR's,FN's,Esports like Dota/LOL.

I can already see change happening again,people are tiring of BR,Esport still remains popular because i guess $$$ always seems to be popular.However with me,gaming is suppose to be a hobby not a money making idea.

IMO developers NEVER got the MMO aspect down right,they still seem like single player games with a login screen and not much more.The early pioneers gave us a decent template "team work"but newer devs THINK teamwork means only one thing>.to conquer RAIDS !!!.so yeah none of the developers have a clue how to create a true MMO world and game.

Atlas a survival game,has the graphics down pat,great AI for the creatures,handle the "water" idea better than any other game,likely because the lead was already doing it nearly 20 years ago.There is little depth in other areas however,so i need to see a developer that can put it all together,graphics,AI,mechanics,survival,team work then we can start seeing games worth spending time on.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The biggest obstacle right now for gamer's is that EVERY single game being made is a money angle,a cash grab,a cash shop,until we rid gaming of this infestation,we won't be getting any real good MMO's.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    I'm probably a little too young to fall into your category; I'm not exactly a MMORPG nomad, either. I'm 38 and playing Vendetta Online.  I have been for 16 years.  My main is license 14/13/11/13/9, and (breaking a cardinal rule) I have 90,988,982 credits.  I don't have a cap ship, although I probably would have by now had I focused as much effort in building one as I have designing missions.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Major69er1Major69er1 Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Project Gorgan when I need to scratch the mmo itch
    Hyperpsycrow
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    WOW, FFXIV and ESO are the biggest in the West now and WOW will get an extra bump in a couple of weeks when the Classic servers open.

The vast majority of players are in the 18-35 range but 40+ is a sizable minority in all of them.

So pick your poison. 
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited August 2019
    I log into ESO, GW2 for the daily rewards then log out. Sometimes I also and play FFXIV during free events but mostly in Gold Saucer, SWTOR occasionally when I want a Star Wars fix, but lately I've been playing STO for the summer event and anytime there is a free T6 ship event. So right now I would say STO is my main MMO.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    im 55 , been playing online games since 83 ,  UO for near 22 years now,

Also in my rotation at this time is Secret World Legends ..

And will be in Classic Wow the 26th
    Phaserlight
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    edited August 2019
    ESO as my main mmo and Warhammer Online(RoR) as my second. And ever since the new eu server of Ragnarok went into cbt, I'm playing that quite a bit and prepare for the release. I was waiting for a revo-classic eu server to release for a long time and it's finally happening.

Ups didn't realise that you're looking for answers from the people around your age mb. Well I'm a lot younger I guess lol.
    Scorchien
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Nepheth said:
    ESO as my main mmo and Warhammer Online(RoR) as my second. And ever since the new eu server of Ragnarok went into cbt, I'm playing that quite a bit and prepare for the release. I was waiting for a revo-classic eu server to release for a long time and it's finally happening.
    love RoR gotta return there soon ..
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Ungood said:
     whereas in GW2 raids were an huge pile of disjointed fecal matter 
    Are you referring to the everyone fighting by themselves for themselves, but doing it "standing" next to other people in a "raid" endlessly zerging and dying?  The raiding where no one player needs to tank, no one player needs to heal, no one player needs to DPS because everyone does all those things themselves all at once?
    Dibdabs
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    goboygo said:
    Ungood said:
    Are you referring to the everyone fighting by themselves for themselves, but doing it "standing" next to other people in a "raid" endlessly zerging and dying?  The raiding where no one player needs to tank, no one player needs to heal, no one player needs to DPS because everyone does all those things themselves all at once?
    If you ever raided in both DDO and GW2, the disparity is so abject, it would near impossible to fully grasp without experiencing it.

However, you sound more like you are describing World Bosses in GW2, not raids. 
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    goboygo said:
    Ungood said:
    It is ok to say that you don't like a game or a specific part of it. But what I see from your post is just straight up ignorance that's all... You either mixing up world bosses with raids or you don't know shit about how this game developed through the years and assume it is still the same old GW2.

Even tho it's not my cup of tea and I'm not playing the game anymore, GW2 has some really good raids. And no, everyone CAN'T do everything in GW2 at least not anymore. When was the last time you played this game? Seriously? There are tanks and healers and every player in raids have a part to play. Please try to do at least one raid in GW2 with the playstyle you described and than we talk.
    Iselingervaise1
  • Shooter564567Shooter564567 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    ?……..