I haven't finished the update yet so can't tell you anything more than what's in the patch notes
Starting the game should have several improvements in instructing players through the first few hours .
The official website includes all of the quality of life changes: https://www.nomanssky.com/beyond-update/
It's a looong read. For the text list of patches and changes scroll down to the last 80% of the page.
From Eurogamer: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-08-14-no-mans-skys-beyond-update-is-here-with-some-very-extensive-patch-notes
"To that end, Hello says that the early game has been significantly revised to better introduce players to No Man's Sky's vast array of disparate mechanics, while new story content has been added to bring together the game's three main narrative pathways seen in previous updates."
Highlights from PCGamer article: https://www.pcgamer.com/no-mans-sky-inventory-slot-capacity-gets-a-slight-bump-from-250-to-uh-10000/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0
- Resource inventory slots increased from 250 to 10,000 resources. Yes, 10,000. Resources only it sounds like.
- Technology can now be moved after installation.
- Added ‘Warp Hypercores’, a large hyperdrive fuel unit with five times the capacity of a regular Warp Cell.
- Increased the base mining speed of the Mining Beam.
- Added the Launch System Recharger, a starship upgrade that automatically recharges the Launch Thrusters over time.
- In normal mode, allowed some planets to never spawn Sentinel drones.
- Increased the base energy levels of the Mining Beam and the Terrain Manipulator, allowing for less frequent recharging.
- The Mining Beam now has a much higher base heat capacity.
- Added the option to remove button holds and make all non-destructive clicks instant.
- Many graphics settings no longer require a restart to apply.
- Improved the UI for comparing and purchasing ships, Multi-Tools and freighters.
- The Galaxy Map has been totally overhauled for clarity and visual style.
- Added a new photo-mode style building camera to allow easier placement of complex structures.
- Increased the tolerance of trader ships participating in a freighter battle so that they do not report friendly fire as a crime unless the shot is fatal.
- Made butterflies and other flying creatures much easier to scan with the Analysis Visor.
- Added Short-Range Teleporters. These pads may be placed around your base and wired up to create a network of near-instant transportation.
Oh, and your base worlds 'probably' won't see any changes. Not guaranteed though.
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone." Robin Williams