Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Monster Hunter World and me

cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
edited August 2019 in PC Gaming
I have been dying to play this game and I took the plunge despite being dubious of my ability to actually play it. Having paid half the price for it I am now downloading it.

I am not sure if I can play this game because as some of you are aware and for others who are not I am old, slow and my thumbs are not good at the thumbsticks on a controller. I will be using the keyboard and mouse to play this game. I wonder if anyone could suggest the best weapon I should use and how I might go about trying to kill the monsters. Is there a way for someone as slow and clumsy as I am to play this game and what, if any, tactics should I use. I am also the proud owner of a programmable gaming mouse which I use by binding letters on the thumb side numbers, I hope to ease my play with the use of this mouse. Currently I play Warhammer Inquisitor  Martyr using that mouse and I have programmed a button next to my LMB for dodge and I can actually make progress on an assassin with a sword although I am a whuss and play in story mode.

I have tried watching some videos but everyone is a god at their gameplay and there is no way I can copy those movements. I am prepared to grind and play slowly. Please advise.
Chamber of Chains

Comments

• xDjevikxDjevik Member UncommonPosts: 26
    There is no best weapon. All the weapons have their purpose. Great Sword is great for breaking horns and cutting off tails. Long sword which was my favorite weapons b/c it had a hidden iframe skill you had to master is good for cutting tails.

When you get in game it will ask you to pick a weapon but you will have all the other weapons in your storage box so no matter what dont think your stuck with the first weapons.. just go back into your room and change your weapons.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited August 2019
    I am not looking for the best weapon but rather the most forgiving weapon. One I can use without worrying about precision, dodging and fast movement. It may not be as damaging or even one of the worst DPS but it allows for an easier gameplay as far as I am concerned.

Would ranged weapons be a good idea?
    Chamber of Chains
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    cheyane said:
    I am not looking for the best weapon but rather the most forgiving weapon. One I can use without worrying about precision, dodging and fast movement. It may not be as damaging or even one of the worst DPS but it allows for an easier gameplay as far as I am concerned.

I wouldn’t go ranged, take a not too fast melee weapon. Its not about mashing frantically but knowing your combos, when to attack, when to dodge and when not too. When there is a firebreathing T-rex chasing you that might be hard to remember though ;) Tbh, I would go Hammer or Longsword, relatively easy to pick up. Take your time, repeat a couple of lower hunts and check some weapon guides online, get a feel for the weapon of choice, its speed, its range etc.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Start with sword and shield and see how you go with it. It's the "easiest" to get used to and getting accustomed. You can heal while blocking which should help.

I honestly don't know how the controls are with mouse and keyboard, I however find controller much more fluid.
    cheyane

edited August 2019
    Thanks will do. Sword and shield it is. I watched one video where this guy used sleeping arrows it looked so interesting the cc I mean but I guess I am dreaming if I think I could carry that off. Alright I shall start with the basic and see if I manage to kill even a fly.

Look at me rocking a Carthean sword in Warhammer Martyr I never figured me for a melee but it is surprisingly with a personal void shield actually fun to get up close and kill the big bosses.

I am now changing all the keybindings to what I can manage on my 18 button mouse.

Bloodaxes said:
    Start with sword and shield and see how you go with it. It's the "easiest" to get used to and getting accustomed. You can heal while blocking which should help.

I honestly don't know how the controls are with mouse and keyboard, I however find controller much more fluid.
    I am actually changing most of the default keys the F1 to F4 is a big no I changed  those to 1-4. I love customizable keys one of the reasons I quit Maplestory 2 was the fact that some keys could not be changed making it impossible for me to play.
    Chamber of Chains
    There are weapon variants that can have sleep or paralysis eventually. Bow and bowguns despite the assumption, are quite close range apart of some ammunitions.

Each weapon also has its limitations on which ammunitions it can use which might be a little confusing at first.

• WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 451
    edited August 2019
    600+ hours in game and hr250 here. If your playing kb and mouse and also dont mind a little crafting then the Light Bowgun is for you. Its got great mobility and range. Work up to something that rapid fires normal ammo2 and you'll wreak shop. Most important thing though is knowing the monsters moves and "tells". Dodging is an unavoidable part of this game so you should understand that from jump street. Even the heavy bow gun could be a good choice for you since you can put a shield on it and even block attacks and use the guard up skill to block some of the big daddy moves. It also has a really huge dodge that can be built to be even bigger allowing you to "roll" dodge a great distance very quickly. 
  • xDjevikxDjevik Member UncommonPosts: 26
    cheyane said:

Like the gentleman after you said, taking a weapon that doesn't make you to slow would be a good idea. This game makes you want to put your weapon away and than bring it back out to move closer or away from the mob..

If you want a straight up safe beat.. Take sword and shield.. Once you get used to sword and shield take up switch blade.. switch blade is one of the most fun weapons hands down.. it has mechanics that you need to character the shield which gives more damage reduction and charge the weapon so you can combine the sword and shield and do massive BIG damage..

xDjevik said:
    cheyane said:

Like the gentleman after you said, taking a weapon that doesn't make you to slow would be a good idea. This game makes you want to put your weapon away and than bring it back out to move closer or away from the mob..

If you want a straight up safe beat.. Take sword and shield.. Once you get used to sword and shield take up switch blade.. switch blade is one of the most fun weapons hands down.. it has mechanics that you need to character the shield which gives more damage reduction and charge the weapon so you can combine the sword and shield and do massive BIG damage..

That's charged blade. Switch axe is the swiss army knife that starts as an axe and can morph into a sword.

Bloodaxes said:
    xDjevik said:
    cheyane said:

That's charged blade. Switch axe is the swiss army knife that starts as an axe and can morph into a sword.
    I would not recommend Switch Axe to a first timer tbh ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

• OGDeathRowOGDeathRow Member UncommonPosts: 129
    edited August 2019
    sword and shield is also the easiest (imo) to mount a monster (Insect glaive as well) and always make sure to have your flash pods! Take those pesky dragons out of the sky and clip there wings. 

This game was amazing, glad you took the plunge. 

On a side note, martyr has made great strides, come a very long way since its release. I greatly enjoy that one too : ) I rock a bolt pistol/chainsword  : )

As of today peak players according to steam charts was 67k, 7th highest played game on steam today. 
    [Deleted User]
    lahnmir said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    xDjevik said:
    cheyane said:

I would not recommend Switch Axe to a first timer tbh ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I tried it twice but can't seem to like anything but the dual blades. I like mobility way too much :P
    lahnmir

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    if is a begginer, sword and shield is all the best for first timer, fast attacks, block to prevent damage, using items without sheating weapon, great sword is slow, a miss and it can hurt, LS people love to say it easy but its look easy hinda hard to master the minutes. long range weapons are bad to dodge and its a gimmick to use coats/bullets if you are not used. you can play with other weapons after you get used to sword and shield anyway

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    I tried  a few weapons and settled on the lance/shield but I think it is a tad slow and cumbersome because the lance is long I find it a bit unwieldy to move and attack. I will switch to the sword and shield and see how it goes. I have killed the first two monster on the quest and am now on the the great Jagras which I will take my time on as it looks formidable.

I upgraded my lance and also my palico. His points are separate from mine right I didn't check before I upgraded him and now I am not sure if we share the points.

I love the little touches that these Japanese games have sprinkled about, they always have have a certain flavour and flair. I enjoy just going around the base and looking about and noticing stuff. The cute pig all dressed up is so funny I smiled.

Thanks for all the encouragement and advice.
    Chamber of Chains
    cheyane said:
    I tried  a few weapons and settled on the lance/shield but I think it is a tad slow and cumbersome because the lance is long I find it a bit unwieldy to move and attack. I will switch to the sword and shield and see how it goes. I have killed the first two monster on the quest and am now on the the great Jagras which I will take my time on as it looks formidable.

I upgraded my lance and also my palico. His points are separate from mine right I didn't check before I upgraded him and now I am not sure if we share the points.

I love the little touches that these Japanese games have sprinkled about, they always have have a certain flavour and flair. I enjoy just going around the base and looking about and noticing stuff. The cute pig all dressed up is so funny I smiled.

NP! Just remember that picking a weapon is like picking a class, it can completely change the game for you if you are struggling. I for instance could not work properly with sword+Shield but am pretty solid with Longsword and used to play Switch Axe. Be prepared to spend hours learning one weapon though, there is so much to take into account. And ohh yeah, enjoy the game, I have been a huge MH fan for years and although World isn't my favourite it is simply the best for a newcomer and dropdead gorgeous to boot.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

cheyane said:

Honestly (and in my opinion) lance has the most boring attacks. It's the reason why I suggested you sword and shield. There's plenty of fights where you could literally block and poke until death with lance, but that's way too boring (and cheesy) for my style.

Yes it is I took the HD graphics and reshade and it does indeed look gorgeous. I do like the game a lot although I am pretty bad at it.

I bound the shield block to my centre mouse button and the 4th mouse to put away the weapon when I need to sharpen it. I tried pulling using the stone and sometimes only one comes but the rest join in pretty fast the second monsters the Kestodons I was able to stand and block with the shield but I found it tough with 4 of them on me. I did kill them though but my WASD finger ballet needs work.

I spent a long time in the training area and kept trying out the combos. I like the sword and shield one where you vault and jump and attack as you come down, very acrobatic. I didn't enjoy any of the ranged weapons because the combos were odd to me and I am so slow at using items I will find it difficult to apply the stuff I need to and since they run out you have to craft but it is the same as the sharpening in some respect. I repeated the quests to get more crafting materials. I find the game to be something rewarding because you work , collect and upgrade to make your gear better and it makes it both interesting and satisfying when you succeed I presume with the larger targets.
    Chamber of Chains
    edited August 2019
    I don't know how you access it by keyboard, but with controller we have access to a radial menu where we can put some utilities that can be handy. I have sharpen, crafting potions, crafting/equipping flash pods, equip/unequip mantles and palico abilities.

This eliminates the amount of scrolling in the item bar whilst fighting.

Ahh yes it was on F1,F2 and so on but I changed that to 1,2,3,4 because I have 12 buttons accessible on the side of my mouse I can program it to anything but then I have to keep changing the profile for other games. I put the potion and sharpening stone on that but you still need to put the weapon away before you can use anything.

There are those plants I notice that heal you I suppose those are available in other areas too especially near those big bosses.
    Chamber of Chains
    Well yea, sheathing will be something you'll get used to. With that said, you can use items without sheathing with sword and shield by blocking or using those hotkeys (reddit says radial menu but I'm assuming it's the same for keyboard and mouse).

So, inspired by this thread I restarted the game as a hammer user. Very nice and effective. Its depth seems to come from the various stages of charge attacks while moving and/or standing still and building slow on your target before going for the stun on the head. Thanks OP for making me start the game yet again ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

edited August 2019
    lahnmir said:
    So, inspired by this thread I restarted the game as a hammer user. Very nice and effective. Its depth seems to come from the various stages of charge attacks while moving and/or standing still and building slow on your target before going for the stun on the head. Thanks OP for making me start the game yet again ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Hammer is going to get a huge (In my opinion) boost with the next expansion. Being able to grapple to the monster will solve having to chase them due to a shorter reach.

I still have to attempt Behemoth and Kulve Taroth and I'm HR 150 xD Been farming the decoration events (Lavasioth atm) in the hopes they finally drop me the damn Protective Polish one. I got 3 attack decorations which are considered one of the rarest (if not the rarest). I would gladly trade them for it.
    lahnmir

• rob265rob265 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    this game gets very complicated and fun to complete those missions and is very fun.
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Hey that is so nice to hear. I am happy it got you to play again with another weapon. I have killed the Great Jagras around two times ( I am aware he is the absolute easiest but I was so proud the first time I killed him). I am enjoying it and I am on that monster that holds a rock Kulu something or another. I had him down and limping but he hurt me a bit bad and I stopped to drink a  potion and he got away and I saw him with a white skull next to his icon but he had  gotten too far away and my husband just plonked dinner in front of me so I logged off. My husband watched me play a bit and was staring at the monster saying how cool it looked.

I must say the jungle looks very nice very jungly in that it has all these nooks and crannies, small caves, alcoves, streams,waterfall and ledges with branches you can walk on. Very, very lovely and really well done.

One thing the lance makes you move very slow. Do the other weapons enable you to dodge and move and run faster by any chance.
    Chamber of Chains
    cheyane said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Hey that is so nice to hear. I am happy it got you to play again with another weapon. I have killed the Great Jagras around two times ( I am aware he is the absolute easiest but I was so proud the first time I killed him). I am enjoying it and I am on that monster that holds a rock Kulu something or another. I had him down and limping but he hurt me a bit bad and I stopped to drink a  potion and he got away and I saw him with a white skull next to his icon but he had  gotten too far away and my husband just plonked dinner in front of me so I logged off. My husband watched me play a bit and was staring at the monster saying how cool it looked.

I must say the jungle looks very nice very jungly in that it has all these nooks and crannies, small caves, alcoves, streams,waterfall and ledges with branches you can walk on. Very, very lovely and really well done.

One thing the lance makes you move very slow. Do the other weapons enable you to dodge and move and run faster by any chance.
    Learn when to draw your weapon and when to sheath it for movement, when monsters run away for instance, always put your weapon away. All melee weapons have a certain balance between Speed, Damage and Range. Have a lot of one, have much less of the other. Hammers for instance have reasonable damage and speed but very short range, lance has more range but less speed.

The first real roadblock you will encounter is Anjanath, a fire breahting T-Rex. You might struggle a fair bit until you see it being torn to shreds by a Rathian and realise you will fight that one later on too. The sense of growth in scale and power of your foes is insane and it keeps increasing the further you get.

Lessons for Anjanath and beyond: Bring rations/meat to keep your Stamina up on longer hunts. Always have a stat boosting meal at the canteen before you head out. Sort your item pouch and make sure you have the right tools with you for the specific monster you are hunting, same goes for gear and since Anjarath is fire based you might want to bring a water weapon and fire resistant gear (not sure you can get the latter crafted at that point in the game yet tbh). Also bring flash pods, potions and some attack and defense increasing items. Learn how to use these properly, the further you get in the game the more you will have to use them, including status curing items, stat boosting items, traps, food buffs, stamina buffs, healing items etc. It is then that it becomes a true hunting game instead of "whack the monster on the head." Later on you will also have to use certain perks on gear and combine those, I am running Slugger/Poison on my starter hammer set for instance.

Take your time, enjoy the monsters and know that much, much bigger and much, much more dangerous awaits, the Great Jaggas is a cute snack for half the beasts out there.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    cheyane