Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Walmart no longer selling video games (Discussion)

1234568»

Comments

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,663

No way..... I don’t know if that is awesome or a serious WTF moment tbh. So you can buy those at a lot of places too? A flamethrower counts as arms, do bazookas too then? So many questions, and the answers keep surprising me.

We don’t talk about flamethrowers more because they are difficult to conceal of course, you can’t put that one under your coat. Or am I going to get a link to a mini portable flamethrower taking care of that “problem” too?

Fascinating stuff, I’ve been to the USA a couple of times but I have much to learn it seems  ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

if i remember right, those sold out rather quick

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Thane said:
    I don’t think you quite understand how the US Constitution works.  There is no Constitutional Right to play video games.  

If you think that is absurd then work to amend the Constitution.
    A  few things about the Constitution and the First Amendment are worth pointing out.

The First Amendment prohibits most government restrictions on free speech. So the United States cannot abridge your freedom of speech (subject to a few exceptions). And whatever state you live in cannot limit it (as all states have a freedom of expression clause in their state constitutions) .

But Walmart is not the government. They can restrict your speech and their product suppliers' speech if they wish.  

Also worth noting is that the Supreme Court of the United States has ruled that video games are "art" and are therefore subject to First Amendment protection. Again, that is if the party restricting speech is the government. You can read about that here: https://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/29/arts/video-games/what-supreme-court-ruling-on-video-games-means.html

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 13,498
    Amathe said:
    Thane said:
    I don’t think you quite understand how the US Constitution works.  There is no Constitutional Right to play video games.  

If you think that is absurd then work to amend the Constitution.
    A  few things about the Constitution and the First Amendment are worth pointing out.

The First Amendment prohibits most government restrictions on free speech. So the United States cannot abridge your freedom of speech (subject to a few exceptions). And whatever state you live in cannot limit it (as all states have a freedom of expression clause in their state constitutions) .

But Walmart is not the government. They can restrict your speech and their product suppliers' speech if they wish.  

Also worth noting is that the Supreme Court of the United States has ruled that video games are "art" and are therefore subject to First Amendment protection. Again, that is if the party restricting speech is the government. You can read about that here: https://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/29/arts/video-games/what-supreme-court-ruling-on-video-games-means.html

Not sure if you were adding to my post or misunderstood it :)  So lets just say I agree with what you posted.  My point was much simpler,  and a direct response to the part that seems to have been cutoff in your post:

"it's my right to own a gun!!!!!11111elevenelevenelvdwarf"
    but you can be restricted from... buying... games? and we SERIOUSLY need a discussion about that topic?

I was attempting to point out that one is an actual Right protected in the US Constitution and one is not and that if he felt strongly (and was a citizen) he could work to have it amended to change that.  Walmart, of course, has the right to sell both or neither currently.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,566
    edited August 2019
    I need to ask the very simple thing, do anyone here who want to buy a game do so in a walmart?, from experience this big shops when they sell any game they sell the trenty, or the most famous, sure to get out of the shelf games, its not like in back the 90 when you could find a pc game gem selling in a lone dusty shelf in a corner, because hey that was the only way to buy games, nowadays? its not like I bring bussiness to then

plus guys don't matter if a place is run by idiots, they are free to be idiots, if they don't want to sell, not it will make diference, then don't, I belive they don't sell for another reason, but lets do a PR move and say we care. nothing like a big company lying saying they care, worse is people belive

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Amathe said:

Not sure if you were adding to my post or misunderstood it :)  

Adding to, mostly, with one caveat. If the government forbade Walmart from selling guns and also forbade it from selling video games, both would violate a constitutional right - guns under the Second Amendment and games under the First Amendment. But Walmart, as you point out, can do as it likes and sell both, one, or neither.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 13,498
    I need to ask the very simple thing, do anyone here who want to buy a game do so in a walmart?, from experience this big shops when they sell any game they sell the trenty, or the most famous, sure to get out of the shelf games, its not like in back the 90 when you could find a pc game gem selling in a lone dusty shelf in a corner, because hey that was the only way to buy games, nowadays? its not like I bring bussiness to then

plus guys don't matter if a place is run by idiots, they are free to be idiots, if they don't want to sell, not it will make diference, then don't, I belive they don't sell for another reason, but lets do a PR move and say we care. nothing like a big company lying saying they care, worse is people belive

Usually, around Black Friday or similar, they have some great deals.  Other than that I do not think I have bought many games there. But I would guess that they sell an enormous number of video games.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    edited August 2019
    Ungood said:
    If another nation came to subjugate your nation.. what are your options as a citizen? 
    Just a quick note on nations conquering nations.

It's more likely for the US to lose out as a world power through economic and/or political instability than it is military might. Honestly, those factors are becoming more probable scenarios in general with the US politics being as much of a polar mess as it is and while the economy grows, it's largely done so in spite of the government which continues to produce more debt.

Sooner or later, either US needs a major reform, or it gets overtaken by other world powers as well as by major corporations. We already have pushes like that with Facebook and Libra trying to upset the current take on global currency, and China working on a similar goal.

US politics and population being too preoccupied with power of arms that it neglects the pace at which technology and the global economy is moving will quickly find that power of arms somewhat meaningless if it's status as a world power is lost in other regards.
    laseritUngood
This discussion has been closed.