Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No evidence video games cause mass shootings

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member EpicPosts: 2,827
    Viper482 said:
    Listening to non-Americans talk about guns in America hurts my brain. 

First of all....it isn't the wild west here. I am 48 years old and don't know one person who has been shot or even shot at. I have lived in big cities like Tampa, Miami, El Paso, and Las Vegas and I have never heard gunshots just being out in the community or sitting in my home. We have 320 million people in our country, we have states that have a bigger population than most countries. We have 90 million law abiding gun owners. Think about those numbers, then think of the fact we lose about 10,000 people to murder by firearm each year. 

Do the math. If you read the news you would think death by gun is the leading cause of death in the U.S., it does not make the top 15, at which point 16+ is "all other causes".

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr68/nvsr68_09-508.pdf 
    you have to omit the exception of Chicago and Baltimore . 
    No I don't, this is exactly my point. This is a huge country, you cannot compare us as a country to tiny countries with the population that equals one of our states. Even in a large city like Chicago the majority of shootings are where? South side? It is not like you can't visit Chicago as a tourist without fear of being murdered. It's gang violence and it's in the "hood", not the entire city.
    Caffynated
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Mmochamp19Mmochamp19 Newbie CommonPosts: 12
    Viper482 said:
    Viper482 said:

First of all....it isn't the wild west here. I am 48 years old and don't know one person who has been shot or even shot at. I have lived in big cities like Tampa, Miami, El Paso, and Las Vegas and I have never heard gunshots just being out in the community or sitting in my home. We have 320 million people in our country, we have states that have a bigger population than most countries. We have 90 million law abiding gun owners. Think about those numbers, then think of the fact we lose about 10,000 people to murder by firearm each year. 

Do the math. If you read the news you would think death by gun is the leading cause of death in the U.S., it does not make the top 15, at which point 16+ is "all other causes".

No I don't, this is exactly my point. This is a huge country, you cannot compare us as a country to tiny countries with the population that equals one of our states. Even in a large city like Chicago the majority of shootings are where? South side? It is not like you can't visit Chicago as a tourist without fear of being murdered. It's gang violence and it's in the "hood", not the entire city.
    yep as a matter of fact if you eliminate gang related gun violence our numbers drop by 40%
    Viper482
  • OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Member EpicPosts: 1,952
    edited August 2019
    I've had a pistol on me concealed whenever I've left the house for over two decades, and have several rifles and and a shotgun in the gun cabinet. I've pulled the pistol twice in those two decades with intent to shoot ( luckily I didn't have to ), both times work related. The rifles have been to the range. My guns have never killed, or even hurt, anyone. What they have done is given me the security of knowing that IF I ever need to defend myself, my family, or someone else with lethal force, I have the knowledge and ability to do so.

As far as games causing violence, well I've been playing violent games for even longer than I've had guns. Shouldn't I have gone on a spree by now?
    Kyleran

MMORPG.COM took away my swinging cheerleader butt .gif.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 34,871
    OG_Zorvan said:
    I've had a pistol on me concealed whenever I've left the house for over two decades, and have several rifles and and a shotgun in the gun cabinet. I've pulled the pistol twice in those two decades with intent to shoot ( luckily I didn't have to ), both times work related. The rifles have been to the range. My guns have never killed, or even hurt, anyone. What they have done is given me the security of knowing that IF I ever need to defend myself, my family, or someone else with lethal force, I have the knowledge and ability to do so.

As far as games causing violence, well I've been playing violent games for even longer than I've had guns. Shouldn't I have gone on a spree by now?
    Clearly you are due.

;)
    OG_Zorvan

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,515
    edited August 2019

There's a reason you don't see many people defending themselves with firearms. The Walmart shooter chose that location because he said he knew nobody else would be armed. Most mass shootings occur in "gun free zones". Seems you argued yourself into a corner.

Nope.  I mentioned I knew of at least 3 cases where bystanders have a gun. Stop putting words into my mouth and using pathetic arguments where you think that just because you said something "Seems you argued yourself into a corner" doesn't make it true.  Pathetic if that's what you're resorting to.

...also, even if what you said wasn't complete put-words-in-my-mouth bull, what the heck point were you trying to make in terms of the point of discussion I was talking about regarding when peoples' ability to defend themselves is affected, considering that stricter or less-strict gun laws wouldn't affect a "gun free zone" either way?  That Walmart and other "gun free zones" should stop banning guns on their premises?  Yea, I'm sure they're very open to doing that.
  • IkisisIkisis Member UncommonPosts: 443
    edited August 2019
    Kyleran said:
    Couldnt be due to racist hate speech,  easier to purchase firearms than alcohol, or broken moral fiber, has to be violent entertainment for sure, video games being the worst of course.

Sometimes I think the Purge movies are ever closer to becoming a reality.

Judging by what you say here, you've never even tried to buy a gun. it is not easier then buying alcohol 
    Viper482OG_Zorvan

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,002
    I think both sides of the gun control argument are in denial.  The reality is that the US population is mentally sick and saturated with weapons.  No amount of armed people or gun banning will stop anything.  Guns do make things easier but guns aren't going anywhere because of 2nd and ridiculous lobbying.  

The only choices are to arm up your self or just beat the odds and pray the bad gun culture changes.  Odds are you likely will never be shot.
    Viper482Arterius
  • Mmochamp19Mmochamp19 Newbie CommonPosts: 12
    I think both sides of the gun control argument are in denial.  The reality is that the US population is mentally sick and saturated with weapons.  No amount of armed people or gun banning will stop anything.  Guns do make things easier but guns aren't going anywhere because of 2nd and ridiculous lobbying.  

The only choices are to arm up your self or just beat the odds and pray the bad gun culture changes.  Odds are you likely will never be shot.
    you are wrong, I am so tired of the lobbying argument/NRA blah blah.  The vast majority of the people support the 2nd amendment in this country, and the NRA isnt in the pockets of anyone, they just happen to support people who agree with that side of the argument

If I was running for congress, I would gladly take money from the NRA cause I believe in the NRA and my grandfather was the San Diego chapter president, I come from a family of Gunsmiths, and everyone I know has them.

Now if Planned Parenthood, wanted to donate to me, I would say hell no, which is funny, how does planned parenthood have lobbyists, when they are a government funded program?
    Aeander
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,169
    Divide and conquer. 
    OG_Zorvan
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,368
    Kyleran said:
    Couldnt be due to racist hate speech,  easier to purchase firearms than alcohol, or broken moral fiber, has to be violent entertainment for sure, video games being the worst of course.

Why do we have to pick one reason?  I’d say to varying degree and certainly varying effect on each person all of those things CAN influence a person.  Desensitize them to violence.  Make the “others” seem something less than us.

Then do not forget that even the US Army was using video games to recruit and even train soldiers: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/americas-army-proving-grounds-ps4/

And let’s not forget that drone piloting is pretty much a video game at this point.

As I said elsewhere I do not think video games are THE reason, or even a top one, but I certainly have to acknowledge that it’s likely that they have some effect on some people.  And no I do not want them banned, but I think we should not be so quick to discard that they could have a negative effect on some people.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 971
    I have two somewhat hypocritical thoughts - I think the media use these shootings as a tool to further their narrative and agenda, which makes shooters extremely popular figures in infamy, which makes psychos see an easy path towards being super popular, somewhat meaningful, and infamous so it happens more.

Secondly, I think the more it happens the more blasé the reaction will become, which somewhat is setting in - which will hopefully lead to this being a less viable path to instant celebrity status and infamous.  

I really, really hate when people use tragedy as a reason to further an agenda.  That one animal that shot up the cowboy club was pretty specific about his reason for doing it (he wanted tougher gun control) - yet the media and narrative about why he did it is ignored and he is now considered a "right-wing terrorist."  Its just insanity.  It was either media matters or the SPLC that listed the shooting in Colorado by the two-ultra left-wing trans and homosexual kids as "right-wing terrorism."  Who wants to make a bet the shooters in CA (a left-wing kid) and Dayton (a left-wing kid) will be listed as "right-wing terrorism" too?

Anyone remember a couple years ago when the Newspaper place (I think in DC) was shot up?  It was accepted he did it specifically because he was disgruntled about an article the paper printed.  Someone on twitter showed a report where the FBI listed it as "right-wing terrorism."  This wasn't a journalist, and I don't know how to verify it, so I don't know if this is certain, but if it is that is just nuts.  

People forget we went through centuries where psycho kids had more access to guns and this was never a problem until recently.  The times may correlate with video games, but I doubt there is causation.  Honestly, unless you are fucking nuts yourself how could you know for certain?  When I play Doom or a one of the realistic pure FPS games that are said to cause mass shooters I just get bored and want to play an rpg, where I kill far more living beings in much shorter time probably, and I've yet to want to mass shoot up anything in real life.  
  • Viper482Viper482 Member EpicPosts: 2,827
    edited August 2019

Edit: I was a bit harsh, but I do believe this is just ignorance talking. I disagree with most of it.
    Post edited by Viper482 on
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,768
    edited August 2019
    Ikisis said:
    Kyleran said:

Judging by what you say here, you've never even tried to buy a gun. it is not easier then buying alcohol 
    In Texas buying spirits (as distinct from beer) in banned in many counties.  In other counties it is available only in certain stores. 
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,768

you are wrong, I am so tired of the lobbying argument/NRA blah blah.  The vast majority of the people support the 2nd amendment in this country, and the NRA isnt in the pockets of anyone, they just happen to support people who agree with that side of the argument

If I was running for congress, I would gladly take money from the NRA cause I believe in the NRA and my grandfather was the San Diego chapter president, I come from a family of Gunsmiths, and everyone I know has them.

Now if Planned Parenthood, wanted to donate to me, I would say hell no, which is funny, how does planned parenthood have lobbyists, when they are a government funded program?
    Guns today are not what they were 50 years ago let alone 200+ years ago. And in 10, 20 years they will probably be even more proficient in wiping out swathes of people in seconds - and potentially from a long, long way away.

And would your grandfather, I wonder, support Kim Jung-un's to have nuclear weapons?" Iran's? Israek's? Surely they have the same "right" to self protection and hunting? Do you? If not why not? Be warned though your argument could be repeated back at you.

At the very least its a question of degree. Which - and maybe I am wrong - you don't seem to acknowledge.
  • ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,548
    Ikisis said:
    Kyleran said:

I agree. I am in the process of buying my first gun as their has been a lot of gang violence in my town in the last few months. In a small town as well cops are kind of left scratching their heads. I was surprised by just how many steps their is to get a gun legally. 
    gunklackerSlapshot1188ragebullet
    Currently playing: 

Currently Reading: Oathbringer (Stormlight Archive Book 3)

Currently Writing: Champions of Legend Book 1 (2nd Draft)

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,368
    gervaise1 said:

Guns today are not what they were 50 years ago let alone 200+ years ago. And in 10, 20 years they will probably be even more proficient in wiping out swathes of people in seconds - and potentially from a long, long way away.

And would your grandfather, I wonder, support Kim Jung-un's to have nuclear weapons?" Iran's? Israek's? Surely they have the same "right" to self protection and hunting? Do you? If not why not? Be warned though your argument could be repeated back at you.

At the very least its a question of degree. Which - and maybe I am wrong - you don't seem to acknowledge.
    You are wrong.  There is no world constitution that guarantees North Korea or any country the right to develop nuclear arms. As a matter of fact NK was part of the non-proliferation treaty until 2005. It is literally the exact opposite situation from the second amendment in the US.  The Right to bear arms is part of our Constitution. If we want to change that then there are steps we must follow to do so. It has been done in the past.

If the world had a constitution that said Iran or NK had a Right to develop nuclear weapons, your analogy would be correct. There is no such right.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 2,880
    Well they can cause mass controler breakage... 
    Blaze_RockerOG_Zorvan
  • VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 6,026
    edited August 2019
    gervaise1 said:

You are wrong.  There is no world constitution that guarantees North Korea or any country the right to develop nuclear arms. As a matter of fact NK was part of the non-proliferation treaty until 2005. It is literally the exact opposite situation from the second amendment in the US.  The Right to bear arms is part of our Constitution. If we want to change that then there are steps we must follow to do so. It has been done in the past.

If the world had a constitution that said Iran or NK had a Right to develop nuclear weapons, your analogy would be correct. There is no such right.
    North Korea may develop nuclear weapons for the same reason USA may have a constitution: They're sovereign countries. A country's authority comes from its ability to control its own territory and population, not from some world constitution.

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,934

That won't happen until we get tired of killing each other and the consequences for living like feral dogs.
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,595
    edited August 2019
    Funny I got in trouble for participating in this conversation, but I see it's still happening here in multiple threads..  very interesting.

RE: Shootings/Video Games

As I said, the shootings have nothing to do with video games, it all boils down to one word. Hatred. That's why the shootings happen. There is no other reason. Stop making excuses for evil.

I had PTSD before I turned 10, just from childhood trauma and growing up in an area where people got shot literally every day in the 90s... I served in the Marines and did 2 tours to Iraq (yes I'm a Post 9/11 vet) shit was very real, and I came out of that super depressed with even MORE PTSD..

Today I work in games as an Audio Engineer, my job (like many others) is very stressful with high demands. I still battle depression, that's why I play games.  I am not shy about my beliefs, I don't like or support Trump. I hate that he is the President, and he has done nothing but cause more division in our country.

I play and work on violent video games almost daily. 

EVEN WITH ALL OF THAT.. I have never once thought to myself "hm let me grab a gun and shoot up a bunch of people that look different than I,  I've never once thought let me kill a bunch of MAGA hat-wearing people, I never once said let me kill a bunch of people shopping at Walmart, let me kill people who are at a bar, movie theater, school, church.. etc. 

Not once have I ever had any of those thoughts. 

Video games have nothing to do with it. Hatred is what is driving these shootings. Hatred being stoked by an idiot of a leader. The dude literally has been saying his whole term that "Mexicans are invading this country"  So guess what happens in El Paso? That's right, some idiot kid targets Mexicans. 

I don't care how much you love your master, you cannot deny that Trump has played a far bigger role in these shootings than Video Games. Stop tap dancing around the truth. Stop making excuses for hate. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/04/us/politics/trump-mass-shootings.html 
    Arglebargle
    "PSA: We live in a multicultural world. Nobody is "forcing" diversity. Earth is already Diverse."

"Everything that happens is a political act, and the only people that get to pretend otherwise are those privileged enough to not have politics impact them at all." ~Taliesin

"Fear is the most dangerous power"

Currently: Games Audio Engineer
    You've heard what I've heard

• ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,548
    klash2def said:
    Funny I got in trouble for participating in this conversation, but I see it's still happening here in multiple threads..  very interesting.

As I said, the shootings have nothing to do with video games, it all boils down to one word. Hatred. That's why the shootings happen. There is no other reason. Stop making excuses for evil.

I had PTSD before I turned 10, just from childhood trauma and growing up in an area where people got shot literally every day in the 90s... I served in the Marines and did 2 tours to Iraq (yes I'm a Post 9/11 vet) shit was very real, and I came out of that super depressed with even MORE PTSD..

Today I work in games as an Audio Engineer, my job (like many others) is very stressful with high demands. I still battle depression, that's why I play games.  I am not shy about my beliefs, I don't like or support Trump. I hate that he is the President, and he has done nothing but cause more division in our country.

EVEN WITH ALL OF THAT.. I have never once thought to myself "hm let me grab a gun and shoot up a bunch of people that look different than I,  I've never once thought let me kill a bunch of MAGA hat-wearing people, I never once said let me kill a bunch of people shopping at Walmart, let me kill people who are at a bar, movie theater, school, church.. etc. 

Video games have nothing to do with it. Hatred is what is driving these shootings. Hatred being stoked by an idiot of a leader. The dude literally has been saying his whole term that "Mexicans are invading this country"  So guess what happens in El Paso? That's right, some idiot kid targets Mexicans. 

I don't care how much you love your master, you cannot deny that Trump has played a far bigger role in these shootings than Video Games. Stop tap dancing around the truth. Stop making excuses for hate. 

I mean I am not a fan of Trump either but its not just him sowing hate. Its comes just as much from the left as it does on the right. 
    Currently playing: 

Currently Reading: Oathbringer (Stormlight Archive Book 3)

Currently Writing: Champions of Legend Book 1 (2nd Draft)

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,595
    edited August 2019
    Arterius said:
    klash2def said:

I mean I am not a fan of Trump either but its not just him sowing hate. Its comes just as much from the left as it does on the right. 
    There is a difference between the PRESIDENT of the UNITED STATES sowing hatred and everyone else. Huge difference. I don't care about sides. There are some things you just cannot do as PRESIDENT of the USA. He is more responsible than Video Games are is my point. 

Groqstrongragebullet
    "PSA: We live in a multicultural world. Nobody is "forcing" diversity. Earth is already Diverse."

"Everything that happens is a political act, and the only people that get to pretend otherwise are those privileged enough to not have politics impact them at all." ~Taliesin

"Fear is the most dangerous power"

Currently: Games Audio Engineer
    You've heard what I've heard

Eh, what you are talking about?  I said 2nd amendment and lobbyist which covers the laws, people who want guns and those who represent them. 

The rest is basically off on another topic.
    Viper482 said:

This is pathetically ignorant and moronic crap. You should be ashamed of yourself for posting it. I am embarrassed for you.
    No you should be embarrassed throwing out insults without rebuttal.  
    KyleranViper482
  • Prime_DirectivePrime_Directive Member EpicPosts: 1,909
    Viper482 said:
    Viper482 said:

. People get shot every single day. They're shooting in small towns you haven't even heard of and aren't report nationally. There is at least 1 shooting a week in my area of nowhere. 

From what I'm seeing in your comment , is because you don't personally see it happening in front of "your" eyes, it is not an epidemic ? 

Are you saying you devalue human life by the scale of their income because in rich neighborhoods don't see shooting ? I'm using this word by definition, that is a very "ignorant" way of viewing shooting. We are all human, doesn't matter if it is in the ghetto or on 5th avenue, a life is a life.

Chicago :

"Early Sunday, 17 people were shot in a period of two hours in a small pocket on the city’s West Side, turning residential blocks into chaotic scenes of ambulances, grieving family members and cars pockmarked with bullets.

There were 32 separate shooting incidents throughout the weekend, the police said."

Viper482
    There is a multiverse inside our minds which millions live.
This discussion has been closed.