Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD : Rome

Prime_DirectivePrime_Directive Member RarePosts: 1,056
edited August 8 in Hardware
The Colosseum was filled as ROME took to the sands of battle , and one shotted Xeon.

Rome = 64 cores / 128 threads : faster then any xeon at a fraction of the cost. 

AMD Stock : 15% gain today. 

Google and others Changing over to ROME server CPUs

Out look is looking even better for consumer level 64core /128 thread offerings from AMD. 
There is a multiverse inside our minds which millions live.
Mikeha

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,026
    edited August 9
    Really really expensive for an AMD $6950, but if you have the product you have to sell it for what it's worth. When I saw the price, you know AMD knows what they have. Now that Intel is at 10nm, they will have an answer to this sooner rather than later.
    Also all those CPUs, a high watt and a slightly lower watt version, 19 in total.
    Prime_Directive
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 20,831
    If you think Rome is expensive, you should see what Intel charges for Cascade Lake.  For example, let's compare the top bins:

EPYC 7742:  64 cores
    Xeon Platnium 8280M:  28 cores

EPYC 7742:  128 PCI Express 4.0 lanes
    Xeon Platinum 8280M:  48 PCI Express 3.0 lanes

EPYC 7742:  4 TB memory support
    Xeon Platinum 8280M:  2 TB memory support

EPYC 7742:  512-bit DDR4 memory bus
    Xeon Platinum 8280M:  384-bit DDR4 memory bus

EPYC 7742:  $6950
    Xeon Platinum 8280M:  $13012

If that $6950 is too much for you, an EPYC 7502 (32 cores, connectivity and memory support equivalent to the 7742) will hang with that Xeon Platinum 8280M for $2600.

As for Intel having an answer to this sooner rather than later, don't count on it.  If they did, then Cascade Lake-Advanced Performance wouldn't exist.  (Of course, as it is, it barely exists.)

Right now, Intel can make some small die, low power laptop chips on 10 nm in low volumes.  Going from there to large die, high power server chips in high volumes is quite a heavy lift.  For a process node where everything is good, that can easily take several months or a year. The history of their 10 nm process node doesn't offer much confidence that such a product is coming soon.  There is reason to be skeptical that Intel will ever offer 10 nm products in the sort of high volumes that they have done for 14 nm.
    Prime_DirectiveRidelynn
  • Prime_DirectivePrime_Directive Member RarePosts: 1,056
    Twitter changing to AMD .
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,442
    edited August 11
    Intel has soaked the data center market for far too long.  Time for their cash cow to retire.  I am sure the data center owners are overjoyed by this, they get double performance for half the price.  Intel will respond, but the choice of the prior CEO was a poor one and the new has a lot of catching up to do.

Intel has not had anything leading edge for close to a decade.

I was just talking to a Microcenter exec, he was telling me they are selling the new AMD processors 4 to 1 over Intel at the moment.  The differences there are not that great.  Intel marketing needs better representation.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 6,803
    The problem is, when your at 99% market share, it takes quite a while of selling at 4:1 to catch up.

Which means AMD needs to keep moving forward.

Which is great for everyone.
    edited August 11
    Ozmodan said:
    Intel has soaked the data center market for far too long.  Time for their cash cow to retire.  I am sure the data center owners are overjoyed by this, they get double performance for half the price.  Intel will respond, but the choice of the prior CEO was a poor one and the new has a lot of catching up to do.

I was just talking to a Microcenter exec, he was telling me they are selling the new AMD processors 4 to 1 over Intel at the moment.  The differences there are not that great.  Intel marketing needs better representation.
    doesn't help intel is stuck at 14 or 10 nm's . Intel will most likely have to license out die fabrication methods form AMD
    Ozmodan said:

doesn't help intel is stuck at 14 or 10 nm's . Intel will most likely have to license out die fabrication methods form AMD
    AMD can't help Intel make CPUs even if they wanted to.  Intel is quite capable of fabricating chips at TSMC or Samsung whenever they decide it makes sense.  They've used TSMC for certain chipsets before.  There are two big problems with moving their flagship products there, however:

1)  Chips are designed for particular process nodes, and it takes years to develop them.  Simpler designs on older, mature process nodes can be done somewhat faster, but that's not useful for new x86 chips.  If Intel decided today that their next generation after Ice Lake had to be done at TSMC or Samsung, it would still be years before it was ready.

2)  Intel's CPU advantage over AMD for decades has been a fab advantage.  Intel sometimes had better CPU designs than AMD and sometimes not, but they always had better fabs.  If Intel doesn't have their own cutting-edge fabs, then why should they be worth more than AMD?  At that point, the CPU market would look much more like the GPU market where AMD/ATI has long been much more of a peer to Nvidia than AMD was to Intel in CPUs.
    intel has licensed patents from AMD in the past
    intel has licensed patents from AMD in the past
    Intel and AMD have had a cross-licensing agreement for many years.  That's not at all similar to one of them helping the other to fabricate chips.
    Prime_Directive
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,026
    I think the current Ryzen processors came about with the help of that cross-licensing agreement, but they still built their own chips with their own design goals. 
    Prime_Directive
    I thought Intel licensed the Hyper transport protocol but edited it for intel and called something else ?
    I thought Intel licensed the Hyper transport protocol but edited it for intel and called something else ?
    Intel licenses 64-bit extension instructions from AMD
    Prime_Directive
    Ridelynn said:
    Intel licenses 64-bit extension instructions from AMD
    THought the move for Raj was to help Intel implement Radeon graphics onto the Intel mobile platforms ?
    Intel has installed Vega in the past (Hades Canyon iirc) as a chiplet-style integrates graphics package, but I don’t think they licensed Vega for anything outside that, or if any other patents came with that deal.

Raj came primarily to help with Intel’s internal graphics effort.
    Prime_DirectiveAmazingAvery