Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hilariously bad ads on this site - vs actual gameplay

DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 20,921
Like what does the ad even have anything to do with the actual game here?

This is hardly a new thing -  but this one is just ridiculous

OG_ZorvanTofkePhryTorvalAlBQuirkyScotbartoni33kb4bluAmatheMikehaand 4 others.

Comments

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,155
    I have a feeling that its the people that pay for things like phone sex that get sucked into shit like that.
    bcbullyIselinAlBQuirkyKyleran

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Hasn't this been a trend forever with browser and mobile games?
    PhryAlBQuirkyalkarionlog
  • UtinniUtinni Member RarePosts: 919
    Thats wartune reborn, i wonder what the pre-re-born looked like!
  • TillerTiller Member EpicPosts: 7,827
    Never see those ads
    bartoni33

• k61977k61977 Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Yeah don't have to worry about that on this site.  I decided long ago that the ads weren't worth it when there was more than one that was actually malicious on here.  Since then I have let ad blockers an script blockers do their thing.
    bartoni33dragonlee66alkarionlog
  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 20,921
    Limnic said:

Like I said - it's not new- but it has gotten worse as far as ads just having nothing to do with the game
    AlBQuirky
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    I remember there being a castle siege browser game that did that for a long time, even with things like some random softcore image and some blurb like "The game you don't want your wife to find out about.".
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,155
    Limnic said:

"The game you don't want your wife to find out about.".
    Because you blew $250 on it last week ;)
    PhryLimnicAlBQuirky

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 5,737
    That's nothing, on websites that allow adult ads it's even worse.

Haven't you ever encountered those adult ads with practically nude woman and something like "Warning, this game is 18+", or "You will cum in 5 minutes if you play this game", and then they lead to account creation for League of Angels.
    TorvalPhryAlBQuirkydragonlee66

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 5,353
    Limnic said:
    Much longer, hasn't it? I recall RPGs that had awesome box art that was nothing like the game. Arena (https://www.mobygames.com/game/elder-scrolls-arena-deluxe-edition/cover-art/gameCoverId,6294/) comes to mind along with most (if not all) of the old D&D Gold Box games.

To be fair, some did have screenshots of actual gameplay on the backs ;)

Even more recently, how many games have had just a 3D rendered trailer that looked nothing like the actual gameplay? Blizzard is a master of this ;)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 5,077
    Have you looked at the TV ads these days in Europe anyway they seldom have anything to do with what they're selling. I am sometimes completely baffled how they sell anything.
    Scot

• VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 5,737
    edited August 3
    EDIT: Message deleted.

Sorry it looks like imghost.club automatically ads advertisement for sex websites on pictures they host.

Tiller said:
    Never see those ads

I turned off my adblock as I wanted to see what's on the sides and the top - it was worth it lol.
    kitarad said:
    Have you looked at the TV ads these days in Europe anyway they seldom have anything to do with what they're selling. I am sometimes completely baffled how they sell anything.
    I got rid of TV service about 5 years ago - other than my parents - i don't know anyone who actually still uses TV service - everyone has gone 100% streaming.

So I never see any TV ads.

Anyone remember when youtube was ad-free?
    NorseGod
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,903
    I have a new adblock and no longer see them unless I open my MSEdge browser.  I would rather have sleezy adds than pay a subscript to view this site.  So on that note I clicked the latest one.  Once used a site owner was always yelling at us, "If you are not going to donate to keep me open then at least click the adds!"  Don't know what clicking does exactly.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 11,630
    edited August 4
    kitarad said:
    Ads are now all about making you want to be in them, be part of them, be one of the guys you see; pumping up the perceived value of the actual product is not as important. You are one of the in crowd now, doing fun things by buying their stuff.

We have and will see more of this in gaming advertising, regardless of the actual product; don't forget solo gaming is about the fun guys you are with. :)
    Torval

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• AbhorerAbhorer Member UncommonPosts: 21
    I don´t think the game ads specially disturbing on this site. They are more about Warthunder and things like that. FPS games ads. 
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member RarePosts: 800
    DMKano said:
    Like what does the ad even have anything to do with the actual game here?

This is hardly a new thing -  but this one is just ridiculous

That there are female characters or npcs depicted in it somewhere, I guess. Maybe they are having a sale on summer related cosmetics, perhaps. Sex sells no matter how tenuously it relates to the product being marketed, I suppose.

Like you said, nothing new, and the same technique being applied to a great deal of marketing beyond just gaming isn't a novelty either.
    Scot said:
    kitarad said:
    Ads are now all about making you want to be in them, be part of them, be one of the guys you see; pumping up the perceived value of the actual product is not as important. You are one of the in crowd now, doing fun things by buying their stuff.

We have and will see more of this in gaming advertising, regardless of the actual product; don't forget solo gaming is about the fun guys you are with. :)
    Advertising has been like this for decades. There is nothing "now" about it.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,837
    laserit said:
    I have a feeling that its the people that pay for things like phone sex that get sucked into shit like that.
    Is phone sex still a thing ? I mean we have Cam girls now and of course the Just chatting section of Twitch

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

edited August 5
    laserit said:
    Is phone sex still a thing ? I mean we have Cam girls now and of course the Just chatting section of Twitch

I expect so. It is hard to imagine anything sex-related going out of style. Also, the lack of visuals could possibly enhance immersion for some fantasies, much like radio theater can better invoke imagination than television.
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member RarePosts: 2,092
    laserit said:

I like to report them to the IRS. It's fun watching them cry on social media about getting audited on their unreported income.
    Come home, North Man.

Rolling for Spicy.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 26,972
    DMKano said:
    kitarad said:
    I got rid of TV service about 5 years ago - other than my parents - i don't know anyone who actually still uses TV service - everyone has gone 100% streaming.

So I never see any TV ads.

Anyone remember when youtube was ad-free?
    heck, I know people who use a TV service. Though in truth they don't watch a lot of it. Just basic.

When youtube was ad free? I remember when cable was ad free.
    Torval

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 5,560
    Ad = Great White Shark as in Jaws

Game = Shark in Baby Shark Song

Do doo do doo do doo .... 
    SovrathTorvalAlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,837
    Amathe said:
    Ad = Great White Shark as in Jaws

Game = Shark in Baby Shark Song

Do doo do doo do doo .... 

AmatheTorval
    • Aloha Mr Hand !