Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

16 year old wins 3 million

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
edited July 2019 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Fortnite World Cup

Just a little less than the winner of the US tennis open will take home

Thoughts?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/1855093001

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
JamesGoblinBaalzharon

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Some day in the far future an alien race studying the ruins of our civilization will come across information like this and say, "what a bunch of dumb arses, no wonder they went extinct."

;)
    Viper482bcbullychojin2kAsheramKumaponDrunkWolfBlaze_RockerSinsaiJamesGoblinAsm0deusand 9 others.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    For kids competing that are less than 18 should be college scholarships or something. This is just wrong in my opinion. If this kid is doing well 20 years from now I would say he got lucky.
    bcbullyZenJellyGdemamivandal5627BaalzharonOctagon7711gunklackerGorwe[Deleted User]
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    The implication you’re making is if a gamer should bring home as much as a tennis player. What’s the difference?

If a13 year old could win the US tennis open they too would win millions. 
    bcbullyGdemamiPhryvandal5627BaalzharonOctagon7711
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    "Dude, we got money for weed now!"
    bcbullyBlaze_RockerKyleranJamesGoblinAsm0deuscheyaneBaalzharonOctagon7711[Deleted User]

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• BladeburaibaBladeburaiba Member UncommonPosts: 132
    That's means gamers (roughly) spend as much to support Fortnite as they do one tennis grand slam.  But how long will they support fortnite so it can pay out that type of money for a tournament?

Things like this seem out of whack, but it's no different than any other form of entertainment.  It will pay what the market will bear.  Didn't some boxer get paid 100 million for punching someone in the face?  And he was only throwing a few punches a minute.
    Blaze_RockerJamesGoblin
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    The implication you’re making is if a gamer should bring home as much as a tennis player. What’s the difference?

Most people who know me will see this as a very thinly  veiled “PvPrs are the master race thread”.
    JamesGoblin
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    bcbully said:

Most people who know me will see this as a very thinly  veiled “PvPrs are the master race thread”.
    Most people don’t know you. 
    KylerancheyaneOctagon7711gunklacker[Deleted User]
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    edited July 2019

Yea, both Tennis and video games are just games.  Neither really are about contributing to society's productiveness but instead are about entertainment.

A better comparison would be how much the 16 year old made compared to a rocket scientist or something.  But in that case, the same could be said of any tennis player, hollywood star, or manga artist or whatever from a profession primarily there for the entertainment of others compared to more productive-to-society jobs.
    ZenJellyJamesGoblinGdemami
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    bcbully said:

Most people don’t know you. 
    Awe shiiit.

You are correct my friend. I have changed. Welcome to our forums.
    ChildoftheShadowsJamesGoblin
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    bcbully said:
    Fortnite World Cup

Thoughts?

Good for him. Hopefully, he doesn't blow it on "hookers and blow" and, after whatever taxes are taken out, he puts the money away to serve him in his life.

As far as how he got it?

Good for him. Doing what he is good at and loves. It's entertainment. It's the same as being a boxer or a downhill skier or a standup comedian.

Different set of skills but it's all about entertainment. Good luck to him.
    MikehaKyutaSyukoimmodiumCryomatrixBaalzharonOctagon7711bcbullyGorwe
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    Must be a big deal because they are even talking about it in non gaming areas too. Sure beats the $10-$100ish you might get being a twitch streamer.
    Blaze_RockerOctagon7711

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Kyleran said:
    Some day in the far future an alien race studying the ruins of our civilization will come across information like this and say, "what a bunch of dumb arses, no wonder they went extinct."

;)

True that.
    Everytime a game becomes super popular,we don't hear about WHY,we only hear about large numbers,big name streamers and stuff like this...$$$$$$$.

Imagine,so many players but you would be hard pressed to find threads based on how good the game is and designed.I had one streamer tell me,it is more entertaining to watch,i disagree big time because the longest i could watch it was about 5 minutes and wasn't exciting at all.
    Octagon7711

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789
    bcbully said:
    Fortnite World Cup

Thoughts?

It is a big deal but I (and only talking about myself) cannot stand esports of any kind. It just isn't entertaining enough for me to sit and watch someone else play a game that I may or may not play myself just for fun. I would rather experience a game myself then watch someone else do it for money.
    KylerangunklackerGorwe

Let's party like it is 1863!

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    bcbully said:
    Fortnite World Cup

Thoughts?

I've always wondered why baseball players, who call the game when it rains, make more than football players who play in the snow and suffer a lot more injuries. Popular game equals big pot. I don't know how people can watch tennis either XD
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Wizardry said:
    Kyleran said:

;)

True that.
    Everytime a game becomes super popular,we don't hear about WHY,we only hear about large numbers,big name streamers and stuff like this...$$$$$$$.

Imagine,so many players but you would be hard pressed to find threads based on how good the game is and designed.I had one streamer tell me,it is more entertaining to watch,i disagree big time because the longest i could watch it was about 5 minutes and wasn't exciting at all.
    Were you watching someone harvesting? I've seen my kids playing and the battles where they build around each other are insane. I guess you could say there is a lot of meta to the game, so players are always looking for tips on what works.
    JamesGoblinBaalzharon
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823
    Gruug said:
    bcbully said:
    Fortnite World Cup

Thoughts?

It is a big deal but I (and only talking about myself) cannot stand esports of any kind. It just isn't entertaining enough for me to sit and watch someone else play a game that I may or may not play myself just for fun. I would rather experience a game myself then watch someone else do it for money.
    Ive heard a lot of people say this. Then they go on about watching football or basketball all day long.

Why is it that no one questions people watching sports? Instead of watching athletes play football for money why not go out and play football yourself?
    JamesGoblinBaalzharon
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Xiaoki said:
    Gruug said:
    bcbully said:
    Fortnite World Cup

Thoughts?

Ive heard a lot of people say this. Then they go on about watching football or basketball all day long.

Why is it that no one questions people watching sports? Instead of watching athletes play football for money why not go out and play football yourself?
    I don't watch people play sports either for same reason.

Baalzharongunklacker

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    Out of 40 million people he came out on top and literally dominated against the best of the world.  I watched the event and I dont know why because I dont even play fortnite, but I found it pretty intereting.  After 5-6 circles there was still like 50-60 people left and looked like total chaos.  It was definitely not like "regular" fortnite games where half the people die within the first few mins.  There were a few qualifiers who made it playing with controllers on PC and I saw one dude played with his keyboard sideways.  The speed/control/precision of the buildings / edits were amazing and regardless of how you feel about esports still have to give them respect for their skills / dedication
    JamesGoblincheyaneBaalzharonbcbullygunklackerGorwe
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited July 2019
    Fortnite, the place where you can shoot people, build walls and get all the money.

It sounds suspiciously familiar.
    BaalzharonGorwe

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    Good.  Manage that money well and pull a salary of $60,000 for investing.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    Surprised at the hate towards this kid.  I heard it on the radio on my way to work.  The host was upset that a 16 year old could make millions playing a video game.  He made a comment that he should be out there trying to be the next kid to find the cure for cancer and contribute to society.  My first thought was dude your a radio dj, your job contributes fuck all to the progress of mankind.  My second thought was who's to stay this kid doesn't use his money to fund a startup that writes software that's used in the next satellite that will study a planet? 
    Asm0deus[Deleted User]PhryPhaserlightBaalzharonIsilithTehrothGorwe
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    edited July 2019
    Surprised at the hate towards this kid.  I heard it on the radio on my way to work.  The host was upset that a 16 year old could make millions playing a video game.  He made a comment that he should be out there trying to be the next kid to find the cure for cancer and contribute to society.  My first thought was dude your a radio dj, your job contributes fuck all to the progress of mankind.  My second thought was who's to stay this kid doesn't use his money to fund a startup that writes software that's used in the next satellite that will study a planet? 
    While I will never see gaming as a "sport" I don't get this either..it's not any worse than the shitty boy/girl bands, making a boatload off the tweens, that can't sing worth shit.

[Deleted User]GdemamiPhry[Deleted User]Baalzharon

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    For every success story there are millions of tragedies where kids don't even leave the house because they're playing video games all day. Instead of wanting to become doctors and lawyers, these kids want to be pro gamers, youtubers, and instagram models.
    GdemamiPhryBaalzharongunklackerGorwe
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    bcbully said:
    Fortnite World Cup

Thoughts?

I've always wondered why baseball players, who call the game when it rains, make more than football players who play in the snow and suffer a lot more injuries. Popular game equals big pot. I don't know how people can watch tennis either XD
    That's partially because of the number of players on a team.  Fans don't pay extra just because the active roster is bigger.  Baseball is also able to sell more tickets because they play so many more games per season.
    Gdemami
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Viper482 said:
    For kids competing that are less than 18 should be college scholarships or something. This is just wrong in my opinion. If this kid is doing well 20 years from now I would say he got lucky.
    I disagree. College doesn't guarantee a person will have a million $$ liquid. I rather take the money
    PhrySovrathBaalzharonFlyByKnightbcbullyGorwe

Philosophy of MMO Game Design