Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you like open world PvP ?

Comments

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    edited July 2019
    like everyone said: it depends on the game.

i think that EvE online does it best. technically there is open world pvp anywhere in the game. however, in high security zones pvp is extremely difficult and heavily punished. this forces all those that want to pvp to the outer (low security) zones. in this way, you can choose just how much pvp you want in  your life, without forcing the PVE crowd to be greefed by the PvP crowd, while still allowing both to interact with each other. 

that's the biggest mistake most pvp mmos make. forced pvp on those that don't want it. the majority of people want to be able to choose when to pvp and when to just relax and pve. if you don't allow mostly safe zones, you will only be left with the very small hard core pvp crowd which tends to dislike all other boring aspects of an mmos ( grinding, crafting, building, gathering, travelling, leveling, lore, etc) and eventually just get bored of fighting against the same 4 people and move on to the next battle royale game. 
    ArglebarglePhryKyleran
  • Noobmaster_95Noobmaster_95 Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Hell yeah
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    i like the random skirmishes kind you used to be able to find before groupfinders and the like got in the way.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    I like open world pvp. I just don't like the poisonous people associated with it.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited August 2019
    I love it ! And the crazy part is I'm a PVE player first but that rush and excitement that i could ganked at any minute or stumble upon someone from my faction getting ganked and be the HERO, and save the day is real treat for me when playing MMO's. 

Zoning into large raids back in the early days of WOW with massive gankfests outside was fun and part of a raid night. I can still hear my old raid leader yelling, noone attack the horde, and then some rogue in our guild not listening and a huge brawl breaking outside Kharazhan

SteelhelmHawkaya399
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    I love it ! And the crazy part is I'm a PVE player first but that rush and excitement that i could ganked at any minute or stumble upon someone from my faction getting ganked and be the HERO, and save the day is real treat for me when playing MMO's. 

Zoning into large raids back in the early days of WOW with massive gankfests outside was fun and part of a raid night. I can still hear my old raid leader yelling, noone attack the horde, and then some rogue in our guild not listening and a huge brawl breaking outside Kharazhan

I find the factions the problem, let everyone be free and they main grief be being btw guilds, with factions it alwyas if one faction start to get too big they keep rolling since they are strong, being everyone free, bigg alliances will tend to break since a lot of egos will get hit so they break and fight each other, with make the smallers one time to catch up or take a side for benefit, with factions you need to do politics with the other faction to try to let then get something so they don't just quit the game

so open pvp world do work, but again its always something of benefit and risk, being in relative safe zones would give low wields of mats, money and honor, but taking bigger risk better the return so more mats more gold and honor, problem is not only you have static factions preventing the whole players to kill each other, but also not giving better gains, with also bring the 3rd problem nowadays, everything is gated to a single play style, hell i'm a lone wolf, but even me know then a MMORPG are supose to be several events gated to lots of people, and the worse of all, the gear grind is forced to be something you need to run instances, not collecting mats and then craft, and to toss salt in the wound, you can't sell or trade said gear in most of then

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Viper482 said:
    Viper482 said:
    Viper482 said:
    If done right, like Ultima Online, I like it. I loathe free for all no consequences open world pvp with zero purpose. I do like a pvp ruleset that promotes roleplay like UO did.

Faction based pvp is cool too, at least there is an enemy you are supposed to kill. I don't consider that open world pvp really. 
    See I didn't see UO as having a guideline....I left the gates of Brittain, I died...over and over and over....How is that ever fun for anyone other than the max level guy ganking?

It absolutely fits MY guideline. If you ganked at all in UO you received a bad title so people would know you are shady. If you did it too much (I think killing five innocent if I remember right) you became a criminal with a red name and could not enter the majority of player areas or guards would kill you on site. Meanwhile, every non-red player could kill you with impunity. There were entire guilds that were PK hunter guilds dedicated to hunting down and killing reds. 

That's MY idea of open world pvp done right.

If great pvp to you is simply a "fair fight", you will never find that anywhere in an open world MMO.
    Problem was, the UO devs have admitted that the UO PvP drove paying customers away in droves.  Just watching friends play was enough to keep me far away.

No, the problem was gamers wanted a pve experience but picked up a pvp game. THAT is the problem. I will give you props for knowing it wasn't for you....but the REAL problem is we have too many gamers that play these games anyway knowing it is not for them, then they cry like little babies and ruin the game for those of us who enjoy it. There are a gazillion games where you can't get ganked, go play one of them.
    Well at the time, 1997, we really didn't have many other online options. They did eventually cater to the PVE crowd with Trammell but by then alot of us had moved to EQ or another world.
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    No PvP at all, PvE only please.
  • JimLJimL Newbie CommonPosts: 14
    As long as i can jump on dead body yes!
    gunklacker
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707
    Depends what you mean by open world.

If you mean FFA, then no.

If you mean you can PvP anyone of the opposing faction, anywhere in the world, then no.

If you mean PvP that happens in an open part of the world (i.e. a large landmass, non-instanced and no player limits) then hell yes!

PvP in MMORPGs is my favourite activity. Open World PvP specifically. Objective-based open world PvP even more specifically. I like large numbers of players to be involved as that is usually the only time in an MMO where anything massively multiplayer actually happens (without Cyrodiil, ESO wouldn't be an MMO for example due to player caps).

I love fighting over keeps and objectives. I love the zerg. I love the large scale. I love being in small roaming groups distrupting reinforcements for the zerg.

But, it's only enjoyable when its optional (slaughtering carebears isn't fun for anyone except sociopaths). Its only enjoyable when the people taking part have roughly equal power (so, u have to wait until ur at the top of the power curve, thats the only time it's vaguely balanced). And its usually only enjoyable when objectives are involved. Without objectives, it can be fun for a while, but I prefer long-term goals and meaning to my PvP.

Beyond that, it's only enjoyable for me when player skill is a big factor. That means that any game with shallow combat mechanics (i.e. all action combat games) is a no-go because it's too boring, too easy and too dependant on the meta game. I want to win because I made better decisions than my opponent and had deeper knowledge than my opponent, not because my class is better or because my gear is better.
    SteelhelmHawkaya399
  • CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    My happiest open world PVP memories were classic wow. You could always find a fight at TM, no matter your level. There was always a town raid going on. 1v1's were right outside the town and booty bay would give you everything you were missing.
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited August 2019
    Arterius said:
    No because I don't have the time to put into PVP focused MMO's. What I have found is that very few PVP focused MMO's are built for a casual MMO player.  Since I get 4-5 hours a game time per night I usually play a MMO for 2-3 hours or so. In a PVP MMO that is just not enough to catch up to the people who are paying real money or no lifeing the game to be the best. I like the idea but not the execution 
    This is hte primary reason behind casual vs hardcore players. It's the reason for so many things. The list isbig. Time is so precious. I do think there's some player preferences though, but time is like a huge carrot (or stick), shoving vast crowds of people down a particular path--and it's very difficult to change that course.

I do think ther'es a small minority, maybe 5 to 10 percent of players, whom will always favor casual or hardcore (or other divisive things), regardless of time.
    edited August 2019
    i like the random skirmishes kind you used to be able to find before groupfinders and the like got in the way.
    I agee. But if you make compromises, games can still be found. I recommend Darkfall: Rise of Agon. Instancs are a big obstacle to open world PvP too.

I recommend this:

Ya it's old and sloppy, but if it's open world pvp you want, and a helping of open world sandbox and less hand holding, it's a good venture.

The new wave is pubg/fortnite. Small areas of territorial control with quick PvP sessions. Not enough players prefer the long run, large scale pvp fights--and consequences. They want a more casual, more timely gameplay. But honestly, it was always this way. The population size for open world ffa PvP in an MMORPG is small, even tiny. The formula can be changed, but then it's no longer open world or no longer ffa or no longer mmoRPG or something else.
    Post edited by Hawkaya399 on
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Nothing wrong with open world pvp - the problem on arises when people come up with these silly ideas such as full loot or no safe areas. Those ideas imo really turns people off because you basically can't even afk to get a cup of tea.
    Kyleran
    edited August 2019
    Nothing wrong with open world pvp - the problem on arises when people come up with these silly ideas such as full loot or no safe areas. Those ideas imo really turns people off because you basically can't even afk to get a cup of tea.
    You're wrong jere. Not everyone wants it that way. Back then you just were smarter about where you did things and where you afk'd, for example. You thoguht ahead of time. You used more critical thinking. The same was true in games like Everquest, where afking at the wrong time could cause your group to wipe, or might cause them to disband you if you afk'd whenever you wanted to.

There's a reason some MMO's have had partial or full looting in open world PvP, or have few safe areas if at all. This isn't because only game makers want it. Some players want a riskier environment with more consequences. That's how it expressed itself. If may be true some ffa PvP MMO's won't have full looting, or will have abundant safe areas, but they'll make up for the shortall in other areas, unless they're trying to appeal to a more mainstream audience.

Some players don't want that added risk/danger. It's human nature. I don't think we should play god and determine who should be able to play waht they want and who shouldn't. Are you ready to d othat? I know I'm not calling for the removal of games with no full/partial looting, or with easy access safe areas.

Games with mild to minor consequences have always been more popular--when you count ALL games. Most players naturally gravitate to safer places. It's the same in RL. We mostly want a safe place to live and a safe world to live in. This is why there's strong opposition--across the world--to weak gun laws, for example. China has over a billion people and it has probably the strictest gun laws of any country--private citizens rarely own guns. It's easy to appease these impulses to gain a following. Fear is a powerful force in the world--it's why people live so long.
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Nope.

Refused to play any title with Open World PvP. I don't like it.
  • boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    as long as the pvp has meaning and purpose. Such as territory control, or sieges. 
    Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited August 2019

Games with mild to minor consequences have always been more popular--when you count ALL games. Most players naturally gravitate to safer places. It's the same in RL. We mostly want a safe place to live and a safe world to live in.
    Bunch o' sissy ass losers, probably enjoy playing games for "fun" even.

;)

I prefer my open PVP games to have a bit more structure to them,  a la EVE as well as consequences or there's little point to playing them.

I say this a person who generally bears the brunt of said consequences, adds a level of challenge to the game play a straight PVE only game can't provide.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited August 2019
    Kyleran said:

Games with mild to minor consequences have always been more popular--when you count ALL games. Most players naturally gravitate to safer places. It's the same in RL. We mostly want a safe place to live and a safe world to live in.
    Bunch o' sissy ass losers, probably enjoy playing games for "fun" even.

;)

I prefer my open PVP games to have a bit more structure to them,  a la EVE as well as consequences or there's little point to playing them.

I say this a person who generally bears the brunt of said consequences, adds a level of challenge to the game play a straight PVE only game can't provide.
    I wouldn't say it if I hadn't beared "the brunt of it." I started out on FPS games like Quake 2 and Tribes (and later Unreal Tournament). The first MMORPG I played was in 1999 on Everquest on the Rallos Zek server (no safe areas PvP with partial looting and +-6 level restriction; later changed to 4 i think). I did t2a UO and Shadowbane and Sullon Zek server (no level restriction FFA). I played others. I did the Chaos server (FFA) in Wurm Online in 2012, and played through 2018 (haven't played lately). I lost many things. Yes it's frustrating sometimes, like life can sometimes be, but I wouldn't want it any other way. That's what I wanted and I don't regret it. I firmly believe there should at least be a few MMO's like that. Gloria Victus looks like it be might one of them. I don't always want to play things like that though--don't get me wrong. I want a casual game sometimes too. Just sit back and take in the scenes, chilling--no worries.

EDIT: I agree with some people here that Realm vs Realm PvP might be better, especially if it's no restrictions ffa, but I support incentive-based reasons for players not participating in internal conflict (within their own faction or realm), rather than forced mechanics preventing PvP between same faction.
    Kyleran
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    Definitely love open world pvp, but as someone said earlier it cant be in a world that is a claustrophobic series of hallway style maps like most games seem to have lately. 

Hawkaya399Steelhelm
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Yes I like it just not full loot, kills every game its in.
    AriesTiger
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Love open world pvp

during the last WoW classic stress test there was a few hundred people at ratchet/crossroads and the little amount of lag was impressive.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Not really, unless done in a way I choose when to.

When pveing, I don't want to be interrupted or having to keep an eye out for potential pkers. If I join a battleground/arena/etc then by all means we fight to the death!

Aion's pvp implementation was quite interesting. After reaching a set level, the enemy faction could invade the map and your own faction had to fend them off and close the rift. Each zone had their level cap (I believe) so only people around your level could invade.

That was fun until I reached the part where you HAD to progress in this new area but it was open world pvp. No rifts or anything. Always fun seeing high level players camping outside the hub waiting for their easy prey...

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited August 2019
    Archeage is as close as a game I've played has got to proper OWPVP and even that was pretty flawed.

I still loved it. All the best fun I had, dealt more with the PVP aspects; not Serpentis, The Library, or any of the dungeons. Second to the PVP experience was the early gathering and crafting.
    AriesTiger
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I liked SWG world PvP. Player cities. Enter an opposing one and you get flagged. Or act like a tool and get flagged. You could also flag yourself to PvP anywhere. And so on. 
    Hatefullimmodium

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests