Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fire Emblem Three Houses Discussion

13»

Comments

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 4,848
    I started it on normal and it's gotten to a point where it's just too damn easy.  I have like 4 units that are nigh-unkillable and I can just throw them at everything and i only did like 2 side-battles for quests.  I don't want to start over because I did a lot of the social stuff between battles and fuck doing all that again.  
    Just finish your playthrough and roll New Game + on Hard or, if you're feeling brave, the new Maddening Difficulty. It will streamline a lot of the social/monastery progression (no need to fish!) and you can pick a different House to boot.

Normal is really easy, but the flip side of that is that you've probably progressed far enough that you can steamroll through the rest of the campaign more quickly than starting over. Especially if you went Black Eagles - Crimson Flower, which is a full 4 chapters shorter.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 5,519
    edited October 4
    I know I haven't played it, but watched a lot of streamers and YouTubers play.

One thing I really like bout the game, strategy-wise, is that you can move units and SEE what is possible. If it's not what you thought, you can cancel that move and place them back to where the units were.

This is my biggest gripe with strategy games: Relaying Information. Mostly you think you can do something from a new position, but once there, the game disagrees with your assessment. Now you're stuck. So I wanted to relay this aspect that I found really intriguing ;)
    Aeander

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

(And now Burger King has MEATLESS burgers!)

AlBQuirky said:

One thing I really like bout the game, strategy-wise, is that you can move units and SEE what is possible. If it's not what you thought, you can cancel that move and place them back to where the units were.

This is my biggest gripe with strategy games: Relaying Information. Mostly you think you can do something from a new position, but once there, the game disagrees with your assessment. Now you're stuck. So I wanted to relay this aspect that I found really intriguing ;)
    There is a lot of useful quality of life in this one. Actually, the series has steadily improved its QoL features over the years. It's actually jarring to go back and play the older ones (even my favorites) and not have basic features like the one button to highlight all enemy movement ranges that I've come to take for granted.
    AlBQuirky
  • ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,059
    Aeander said:
    AlBQuirky said:

There is a lot of useful quality of life in this one. Actually, the series has steadily improved its QoL features over the years. It's actually jarring to go back and play the older ones (even my favorites) and not have basic features like the one button to highlight all enemy movement ranges that I've come to take for granted.
    @Aeander I wonder if they will keep doing a persona style for Fire Emblem going foward. I heard that it sold more then any past Fire Emblem
    edited October 4
    Arterius said:
    Aeander said:
    AlBQuirky said:

@Aeander I wonder if they will keep doing a persona style for Fire Emblem going foward. I heard that it sold more then any past Fire Emblem
    With the exception of remakes (Echoes: Shadows of Valentia), the series' sales have only gone up since Awakening. 

Awakening far exceeded expectations and saved the franchise from cancelation.

Fates outsold Awakening.

Three Houses outsold Fates, as far as we're aware.

As for what that means for the future... no idea. Fire Emblem is not a series to rest on its laurels (unlike most Nintendo properties). Each entry experiments with new mechanics.

I am expecting the next game to be an Echoes (the new label for their remakes), and also to test out mechanics for the following mainline game. Echoes: Shadows of Valentia was used to test many of the combat mechanics in Three Houses (combat arts, archer buffs, and a redesigned magic system). I personally found that game boring, but the new mechanics were solid, and they really shined in Three Houses. 

But... the question was about the social side of the game. Do I think they'll keep it? Yes. For mainline games, that is, not for remakes. Do I think they'll possibly streamline it down (smaller building, less walking, faster load times, and removal of that awful lost items mechanic)? Probably. I hope so. I'm more concerned with how they'll fit it into future games. They can't always make the main character a professor, and some of this will have to be rethemed to go with the more traditional Tactician or Lord main characters. They have a bad habit of awkwardly shoehorning popular mechanics where the story doesn't accomodate them. The big example being the marriage and children/2nd generation system from Awakening (and Geneology of the Holy War), which did not fit into Fates' story at all, but was included anyway with a handwave story justification.
    ArteriusAlBQuirky
    edited November 8
    The 3rd wave of free and paid DLC just arrived.

https://fireemblem.nintendo.com/three-houses/downloadable-content/?cid=N1008-01:ch=sotw

I am personally overjoyed at the ability to choose monastery outfits for battle, overwriting some of those atrocious class default outfits.