Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Classic WoW: Can Paladins tank and play Melee in endgame?

13»

Comments

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,342
    Paladins could tank everything up to raids just fine (maybe excluding Dire Maul for the reasons explained above). They don't need taunt skill because of superior aoe threat skill compared to warriors and in case of a loose mob they can stun it with a hammer of justice or apply a blessing of protection to reset threat for the character. As long as you have retribution aura active and your group begins dps'ing the mob marked with the skull you will be fine. Your only worry is your mana - once you go oom you're not tanking anything.

You can also tank at least some raids, to an extent, but healing is where you really shine and for that reason i'm going to spec my paladin in Classic as a holy/prot hybrid maintaining tanking abilities for Strat/Scholo runs but focusing for healing mostly. There will always be a demand for both tanks and healers and this way you can fill either of the roles pretty decently.
    Kyleran
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 6,900
    Kyleran said:
    Utinni said:
    Axxar said:
    Paladins are very good healers. They have less options for healing than Priests, but are more mana efficient and have better buffs. They put out the highest raw healing numbers of any class along with priests.
    Yep. They are considered the best healers overall because the speed/efficiency at which they can heal. When I played Paladin I was 100% OK playing a class thats the best healer in the game.
    Hmm, I used to raid heal as a Druid and I don't recall a Paladin ever out healing me.

In fact the top 4 healers in our guild were consistently Druids,  with Dwarf Priests occasionally breaking in the 3rd and 4th slots.
    Paladins were NEVER EVER EVER "Best" healer in Vanilla Wow, it just happen to be the only class that had one role and that was Healing. 2/3rd of the class was never accepted in endgame. Those that played Melee in endgame were exception to this in that they had high ranks in their guild to pull strings. 

Most of us did not. People kept running with that "Paladins are best Healers" narrative from TBC years after Vanilla Wow to justify not buffing the Melee specs. Early TBC the only thing Melee about Paladins in endgame was that gimmick AoE tanking which required you to be out geared the content you playing since you couldn't reach uncrushable with gear outside Raids. Total fucking ridiculous back then. Not sure I have it in me to repeat those days. Especially with Old AV not returning to Classic WoW. This a wrap for me. 
    Kyleran

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    I don't remember Paladins being able to be useful in level appropriate content for much of anything but healing.  They were kind of broken with the mana efficient healing and plate when it came to PVP. 

Also, Priest was the best healing class till shaman got earth shield, then it was close to a tie.  The priest shield was a huge bonus, because it did not do anything till the warrior was hit and that meant no over healing.  The problem with Druids was they had HOTs so if a warrior dodged or blocked a bunch of the healing would just be over healing.

That was the magic of earth shield.  It only went off with the warrior was hit so it would not overheal and it was based on the healing at the time of cast.  A shaman could pop trinkets cast and then have huge earth shield for 10 hits (once every 3 seconds)

Priest was the best healer.  I honestly don't love the fact they are just trowing everything back to the beginning.  They would be better doing some balancing and allowing pally and shaman on both sides.  Pally was a better healer than Shaman pre earth shield and horde was at a disadvantage in raiding because of it. 

Also, I tried the game again last week, current version, and the moment and looks were really off putting.  I am not sure I can play it when it comes out.  I think it will be to dated for me. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,373
    Of course you can :) you can do anything you want, you'll just be pariahed from groups that's all lol :P
  • cheyanecheyane Member EpicPosts: 6,321
    edited July 31
    Utinni said:
    cheyane said:
    Kyleran said:
    Anyone know if there's any plans to make respecs any easier or cheaper in Classic. 

I feel the narrow roles Vanilla WOW classes would have been fine if a player could flip between say 2 of the 3 specs.

I always chaffed at my pure healing role on my Druid in raids and would have loved to be able to respec feral from time to time for PVP.

As I recall back in the day respecs were pretty costly, (100 Gold?) and may have increased in price every time one did it.
    If it is true classic they won't change that. I feel sorry for all the shadow priests trying to join the raiding guilds. They will do well in PvP. Usually raiding guilds have room for one shadow priest.

I will level as holy and have 5 points for spirit tap. I know it will be a slog to 60 but I rather be able to 5 man easily in between. Haven't decided if I want to raid I might just reach 60 and then say sayonara.
    spirit tap/wand spec priest is one of the best leveling classes in the game!
    Yes the wand spec is a must and I am taking up enchanting and tailoring this time and craft myself the damn wands. Before I took alchemy and herbalism which was lousy because being broke all the time meant I could not afford the high level recipes which in turn meant I had to grind to buy them for raids which  just made sure I quit raiding.

Not that I am going to enchant seriously either, I am just going to sell the breakdowns and just hope this time round I can afford the damn potions. Hmm am I really looking forward to this.

Before I also had a lot of fun staying at level 19 in that bracket BG on a shaman and Pally and had the time of my life. May be I might just do that again and forget the sodding raids.

Truly BGs can be a blast when everyone actually plays and not go afk.
    Phry
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 987
    Xarko said:
    I genuinely can't wait for people who never played Vanilla to get in Classic and realize that most of the classes are broken on purpose. The outrage is going to be more fun that actually playing it.
    Blizzard is likely rectifying this before Classic launches, which is why it isn't going to be a 100% pure classic server.  Just "mostly classic."
  • UtinniUtinni Member RarePosts: 893
    Darksworm said:
    Xarko said:
    I genuinely can't wait for people who never played Vanilla to get in Classic and realize that most of the classes are broken on purpose. The outrage is going to be more fun that actually playing it.
    Blizzard is likely rectifying this before Classic launches, which is why it isn't going to be a 100% pure classic server.  Just "mostly classic."
    Blizzard is not doing any class balance changes to classic. 
    Axxar