Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying Every Game Because It's New

124»

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    AlBQuirky said:
    NorseGod said:
    NorseGod said:

We are consumers we hold no power. If we did there would be a Faction based sandbox mmos. More levelless MMO theme park Sandbox hybrid by now. 
    Stop giving them money until they comply or go out of business giving a new studio a chance. Profit margins are very small, so we don't need 100% participation. Because lets face it, kiddies are going to kiddie.
    I honestly think it's because you and people of this forum are the minority in the gaming world. These games sell because they appeal to a lot of people. Maybe not you and I, but the sales don't lie. We are the dinosaurs that are no longer part of the marketing equation. It's like the Marvel movies. Shit ton of people love them, the ultra nerds who expect every movie to mirror the comics and complain about every new entry just don't matter. They are only a loud minority.

Gaming has evolved, just like music does with every generation. It's just not understood by all yet because there really only has been 2-3 generation of gaming. The initial generation who started the hobby can't let go of what made it fun for them in the beginning. While the newer generation is perfectly happy with the offering currently being released. Your plan will never work. 
    Has gaming evolved? Or is it just the monetization and delivery?
    Depends on how you look at it. Have graphics evolved? You bet. Have gameplay and accessibility evolved? I would say so. Whether you enjoy the changes is going be up to you, after all its subjective. Just look at mmoish games now. Gone is the slow tactical tab target and in its place is action combat, FPS/TPS mmos, mobile game mmos etc. You even have VR gaming, while still in its infancy, it is definitely evolution. Monetization and delivery have also evolved, but that doesn't mean for the better in all cases. 
    Some good points, but I'm not seeing how any of this has "evolved games." There is nothing new in your statements, but tweaks to what is already there. More like "refinements" rather than evolving.

Maybe I expect too much?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    AlBQuirky said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    NorseGod said:
    NorseGod said:

We are consumers we hold no power. If we did there would be a Faction based sandbox mmos. More levelless MMO theme park Sandbox hybrid by now. 
    Stop giving them money until they comply or go out of business giving a new studio a chance. Profit margins are very small, so we don't need 100% participation. Because lets face it, kiddies are going to kiddie.
    I honestly think it's because you and people of this forum are the minority in the gaming world. These games sell because they appeal to a lot of people. Maybe not you and I, but the sales don't lie. We are the dinosaurs that are no longer part of the marketing equation. It's like the Marvel movies. Shit ton of people love them, the ultra nerds who expect every movie to mirror the comics and complain about every new entry just don't matter. They are only a loud minority.

Gaming has evolved, just like music does with every generation. It's just not understood by all yet because there really only has been 2-3 generation of gaming. The initial generation who started the hobby can't let go of what made it fun for them in the beginning. While the newer generation is perfectly happy with the offering currently being released. Your plan will never work. 
    Has gaming evolved? Or is it just the monetization and delivery?
    Depends on how you look at it. Have graphics evolved? You bet. Have gameplay and accessibility evolved? I would say so. Whether you enjoy the changes is going be up to you, after all its subjective. Just look at mmoish games now. Gone is the slow tactical tab target and in its place is action combat, FPS/TPS mmos, mobile game mmos etc. You even have VR gaming, while still in its infancy, it is definitely evolution. Monetization and delivery have also evolved, but that doesn't mean for the better in all cases. 
    Some good points, but I'm not seeing how any of this has "evolved games." There is nothing new in your statements, but tweaks to what is already there. More like "refinements" rather than evolving.

Maybe I expect too much?
    You might be right. But evolution is a slow process. 2D games from Atari to SNES definitely had an evolutionary change. Mario 64 is much different from the latest 3D Mario game. Sometimes building upon the foundation is part of that process. Otherwise we would of never went from Super Mario World to Mario 64.
    AlBQuirky
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Most of the time, evolution isn't radical unless you sample distant points.
    AlBQuirkyMrMelGibson