Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon Game Studios Announces a F2P MMO Based on The Lord of the Rings - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684
    edited July 2019

Amathe said:

How nice to see a new game that is not mobile, crowd funded, or battle royale.

Oh geez... don't jinx it!! It'll end up 2 of 3 at least.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    ROFL, I give them a year or two and then Amazon will drop it.  So far they have shown no staying power whatsoever and this game will not be quick to develop.  Hence this is worth a laugh and that is about it.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Arterius said:
    As someone who alpha tested The New World I am not to interested since its being helmed by the same team. Unless I read something wrong. We shall see what it turns into.

However, I find LotR the most overrated piece of media in history so this isn't for me anyway

Unlike you I actually think GOT is the most overrated media. 
    g0dl355 said:
    LOTR is one of those IP's so well done they can house endless games, movies, shows, books, I could go on and on. Elder Scrolls and Star Wars are in that same league.
    No IP is more overrated than Star Wars. The entire IP is held up by three good movies, with bad movies now heavily outnumbering good ones thanks to Disney. It's an IP stretched thin with any relevance lost to history.
    kenguru23
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    kenguru23 said:
    kenguru23 said:
    kenguru23 said:
    I think Eve and Runescape offer plenty for the thinking persons mmo. 
    Give me combat like Shadow of War and I’m good :) 

You mean something like this? Hope not, it was absolutely horrible.
    Yeah like that....I love it as do millions of others ;) 
    Please tell me why? Did you watch the part where he dodged, attacked, did pretty much everything without looking at the monitor? I just fail to see where the skill or fun is...
    go play it and see for yourself. The part you are missing in a biased streamer video made for clicks is the skill points you earn and you are able to allocate to provide new skills and abilities. He is just mouse mashing and hitting the spacebar. The mechanics allow for a more simple approach or a skilled approach based on how you spec. There is nuance to the system if you use it. Or you can just make a mindless video with a certain position to get clicks and to have it shared. Which seems to work. 

That's cool if you have never played it and it does not look fun to you. No worries. Many do like it. There are enough games for everyone!   
    Sure, I guess I should try it first. I'll report back to you if you're correct 8-) it's just doesn't seem like a great combat mechanics for an mmo
    Awesome if you are in the USA there is a good deal on the Shadow of Mordor GOTY Edition 

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/shadow-of-mordor-game-of-the-year-edition
    "The mechanics allow for a more simple approach" 

In other words, it sucks.
    Really? Or is it just a very well designed system? Not sure with an over 90% very positive rating 'it sucks' 
    It is universally hailed by critics and players alike. Systems with nuance allow for many levels to engage. Like a fighting game. Sure you can button mash but that does not mean the system sucks or lacks depth. In fact it just means if you suck and/or lack depth you can still play the game  ;)  
    It means it requires no skill, and thus the combat is shit.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Amazon has enough money already. Let's support our small indie companies and forget Amazon.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Amazon has enough money already. Let's support our small indie companies and forget Amazon.
    I buy my games based on whether they are good games.

No reason to change that. Unless one can prove they are taking their profits and funneling them to run guns across the border or some such thing.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Aeander said:
    Arterius said:
    As someone who alpha tested The New World I am not to interested since its being helmed by the same team. Unless I read something wrong. We shall see what it turns into.

However, I find LotR the most overrated piece of media in history so this isn't for me anyway

g0dl355 said:
    LOTR is one of those IP's so well done they can house endless games, movies, shows, books, I could go on and on. Elder Scrolls and Star Wars are in that same league.
    No IP is more overrated than Star Wars. The entire IP is held up by three good movies, with bad movies now heavily outnumbering good ones thanks to Disney. It's an IP stretched thin with any relevance lost to history.
    Disagree right there.

So yeah, goes to show how subjective it all is doesn't it.

And if one really wants to be a purist, then "only two good movies" as Return of the Jedi sucked. I prefer all of the newer (the recent ones) movies to that movie.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Sovrath said:
    Aeander said:
    Arterius said:

g0dl355 said:
    Disagree right there.

And if one really wants to be a purist, then "only two good movies" as Return of the Jedi sucked. I prefer all of the newer (the recent ones) movies to that movie.
    All things are subjective. Even the word overrated is itself nothing more than an unquantified judgement of value.

Frankly, I was being generous from my own perspective. I think the entire franchise is held up by Episode V: The Empire Strikes back. 
    Aeander said:
    Sovrath said:
    Aeander said:
    Arterius said:

g0dl355 said:
    Disagree right there.

All things are subjective. Even the word overrated is itself nothing more than an unquantified judgement of value.

Frankly, I was being generous from my own perspective. I think the entire franchise is held up by Episode V: The Empire Strikes back. 
    Well, I don't know about all things but let's put it this way, every IP out there has its detractors and its supporters.

I love all the super hero movies coming out but in no way, shape or form have I ever been interested in comics. But yet, they have their supporters and people who know every little details.

Most popular IP's do. Which means they are probably good, even if others don't like them.

Sovrath said:
    Aeander said:
    Sovrath said:
    Aeander said:
    Arterius said:

g0dl355 said:
    Disagree right there.

Well, I don't know about all things but let's put it this way, every IP out there has its detractors and its supporters.

I love all the super hero movies coming out but in no way, shape or form have I ever been interested in comics. But yet, they have their supporters and people who know every little details.

Most popular IP's do. Which means they are probably good, even if others don't like them.

I'm a big fan of most of the superhero movies.

Big fan of GotG 1&2, Infinity War, Dr. Strange, Thor: Ragnarok, and Winter Soldier in particular.

Not at all a fan of the Hulk movies, Black Panther, or Thor 1 & 2.
    Sovrath
  • ShankTheTankShankTheTank Associate Editor / News ManagerMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 217

SBFord said:

This is very exciting -- I wish it was one of those announcements of a game that is nearly done and will be out in a year or two instead of 5+, which is more likely. :)

But just awesome!

This sounds like a fantastic game in which I can panic with Bradford
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Torval said:
    Arterius said:

Not sure I'd give the most overrated but it's right on up there.

One of the under served IPs that would fit so perfectly into an MMORPG world is Raymond Feist's Riftwar saga.

Think we've had this conversation before, yup I totally agree with Raymond E Feist's Riftwar Saga making a great mmo setting.

I've read every book he has written, have you read his latest book. 

New series King Of Ashes? 
    [Deleted User]

• LtldoggLtldogg Member UncommonPosts: 282
    Just waiting for the next article announcing the cancellation...
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited July 2019
    Iselin said:
    Alexa, buy me another loot box.
    Alexa: "Buying a surprise mechanic."
    Alexa's reply
    <20 seconds of canned laughter>
    "No LackingMMO, and cut the crap."

;)
    [Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited July 2019
    Torval said:
    Arterius said:

One of the under served IPs that would fit so perfectly into an MMORPG world is Raymond Feist's Riftwar saga.

Think we've had this conversation before, yup I totally agree with Raymond E Feist's Riftwar Saga making a great mmo setting.

I had a brief chat with him in Compuserve ages ago, when Betrayal at Krondor was fairly new. I jokingly suggested he make a game out of Faerie Tale - still to this day my favorite book about faeries.
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Torval said:
    Arterius said:

I had a brief chat with him in Compuserve ages ago, when Betrayal at Krondor was fairy new. I jokingly suggested he make a game out of Faerie Tale - still to this day my favorite book about faeries.
    While I enjoyed the Riftwar Saga at the time, as it went on I quickly lost interest. 

However, Faerie Tale? That is an awesome book.
    [Deleted User]

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    kenguru23 said:
    kenguru23 said:
    kenguru23 said:
    I think Eve and Runescape offer plenty for the thinking persons mmo. 
    Give me combat like Shadow of War and I’m good :) 

You mean something like this? Hope not, it was absolutely horrible.
    Yeah like that....I love it as do millions of others ;) 
    Please tell me why? Did you watch the part where he dodged, attacked, did pretty much everything without looking at the monitor? I just fail to see where the skill or fun is...
    go play it and see for yourself. The part you are missing in a biased streamer video made for clicks is the skill points you earn and you are able to allocate to provide new skills and abilities. He is just mouse mashing and hitting the spacebar. The mechanics allow for a more simple approach or a skilled approach based on how you spec. There is nuance to the system if you use it. Or you can just make a mindless video with a certain position to get clicks and to have it shared. Which seems to work. 

That's cool if you have never played it and it does not look fun to you. No worries. Many do like it. There are enough games for everyone!   
    Sure, I guess I should try it first. I'll report back to you if you're correct 8-) it's just doesn't seem like a great combat mechanics for an mmo
    Awesome if you are in the USA there is a good deal on the Shadow of Mordor GOTY Edition 

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/shadow-of-mordor-game-of-the-year-edition
    "The mechanics allow for a more simple approach" 

In other words, it sucks.
    Really? Or is it just a very well designed system? Not sure with an over 90% very positive rating 'it sucks' 
    It is universally hailed by critics and players alike. Systems with nuance allow for many levels to engage. Like a fighting game. Sure you can button mash but that does not mean the system sucks or lacks depth. In fact it just means if you suck and/or lack depth you can still play the game  ;)  
    It means it requires no skill, and thus the combat is shit.
    Low barrier of entry, high skill ceiling. That doesn’t mean shit combat at all. It means you haven’t played the game.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• FennrisFennris Member UncommonPosts: 277
    They mention Defiance. That was actually a fun game but with very bad loot/progression mechanics and a limited scope. It was supposed to interact with the show if you read the first descriptions of it and that never panned out. I hope they can avoid the same mistakes.

This one better have pvp battles. I couldn't stomach LOTRO's monster play. No PVP means I pass.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    ehh, I'm too jaded. I am only interested in playing something truly innovative and sandbox like. But now that i'm so into SC 2, i don't care about any other games. Unless of course i blow aneurysm raging when i go on losing streaks in SC 2. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited July 2019
    Alexa, buy me another loot box.
    Good one, but I do wonder how long it will be before we can say "Alexa play my latest F2P MMO for me". And we have players complaining if they don't think Alexa can do something meaningful each time she plays for us. :)
  • nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    "They're taking the Hobbits to Amazon!"

I hope this one has world wide PvP, and a player Sauron faction. Especially near Minas Tirith but that would be near end-game I suspect.
    Scot
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    If it does have worldwide PVP I won't play it
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Margrave said:
    If it does have worldwide PVP I won't play it
    Open world pvp you mean? It might be fine, depending on if there is a flagging system. If it's F4A then It's appeal will be limited.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• DrokkmonDrokkmon Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Looking at these comments I wonder if anyone actually read the initial unveiling of this game by Athlon. Hobbits? Minas Tirith? Those things didn't exist in the First Age. And actually, the game is probably set even before that as they said it's an era before Men came along, and they were created as the First Age began.

So we're looking at VERY early Silmarillion time period. Probably the Years of the Trees. Which has me incredibly excited. Such amazing places I've always wanted to explore in a game.

Anyway, read this: https://venturebeat.com/2018/09/04/the-lord-of-the-rings-universe-is-getting-a-free-to-play-online-game-from-athlon-games/

[Deleted User]kenguru23
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    edited July 2019
    I agree, I bet most of them have never heard of Morgoth Bauglir, Sauron's master.

But to be fare, if it is about the Silmarillion then it's Amzon's fault because it's not based on the LotR. 
    Drokkmon