Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon Game Studios Announces a F2P MMO Based on The Lord of the Rings - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    So what is the big difference between a MMORPG and just a MMOG?
    No roleplay?
    [Deleted User]
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Here we go again, a half assed game simply trying to cash in on a popular brand,maybe they should just use the Pokemon brand or something.
    Why can't they make their own brand,their own game/story/lore?Oh yeah this is not about making great games,this is about cashing in,money grabs with little effort.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited July 2019
    So what is the big difference between a MMORPG and just a MMOG?
    Depends who is making the games,some devs haven't a clue what they are making.Some devs think because a vehicle has a motor it is a car,has tires it is a car,has a radio it is a car,yep some devs are just clueless and the people they hire to be in charge,every bit as clueless.

Even within some studios,there are divisions,so it can hit n miss as to what division makes what game,that developer could go from AAA games all the way to mobile "CLASH of "games,you just never know.

Pretty SIMPLE really ,the keyword ROLEPLAYING versus just a game where a ton of people enter a game through a login server.Those same people could simply sit there and do nothing,hit auto dungeon finder and spend their entire time inside an instance,so not even  MMO gaming,yet that is what the game devs call their game,a MMO just because they all login through a login server.

Pretty sad when devs title their game after a login server but design it as a single player game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    DMKano said:
    Amazon game studios- can they finally do a game right?
    No one can do F2P right, its not possible.
  • NyteWytchNyteWytch Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Scorchien said:
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Sadly, I can't get excited yet.  Amazon doesn't have a bona fides yet.  Until they do, they are suspect (On any other front though... go Amazon)
    well the people behind the project are the same that made Warframe , if that matters to ya
    You keep saying this...but I don't see where that is true? Athlon Games is owned by Leyou which became part owner of Digital Extremes (Warframe devs) in 2016. That doesn't make it the same team. Athlon is out of LA and DE is out of Canada.
    TacticalZombeh
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    As a person who played New World "beta" and witnessed the horrible cringe worthy path that Breakaway went this doesn't make me excited. It's like finding out that David Lynch got to do the Dune reboot.

At least this proves the Lumberyard tech demo theory I had about New World.
    [Deleted User]
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Alexa, buy me another loot box.
    IselinNyteWytch[Deleted User]ScotTacticalZombeh
  • kenguru23kenguru23 Member UncommonPosts: 49
    I think Eve and Runescape offer plenty for the thinking persons mmo. 
    Give me combat like Shadow of War and I’m good :) 

You mean something like this? Hope not, it was absolutely horrible.
    Xarko
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

kenguru23 said:

Yeah like that....I love it as do millions of others ;) 
    Please tell me why? Did you watch the part where he dodged, attacked, did pretty much everything without looking at the monitor? I just fail to see where the skill or fun is...

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

kenguru23 said:
    kenguru23 said:

Please tell me why? Did you watch the part where he dodged, attacked, did pretty much everything without looking at the monitor? I just fail to see where the skill or fun is...
    go play it and see for yourself. The part you are missing in a biased streamer video made for clicks is the skill points you earn and you are able to allocate to provide new skills and abilities. He is just mouse mashing and hitting the spacebar. The mechanics allow for a more simple approach or a skilled approach based on how you spec. There is nuance to the system if you use it. Or you can just make a mindless video with a certain position to get clicks and to have it shared. Which seems to work. 

That's cool if you have never played it and it does not look fun to you. No worries. Many do like it. There are enough games for everyone!   
    Sure, I guess I should try it first. I'll report back to you if you're correct 8-) it's just doesn't seem like a great combat mechanics for an mmo

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    So when does it come out?
    DrunkWolf said:
    So when does it come out?
    18 months.
    Kyleran
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    kenguru23 said:

Horribly awesome! B)
    [Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    kenguru23 said:
    kenguru23 said:
    kenguru23 said:

go play it and see for yourself. The part you are missing in a biased streamer video made for clicks is the skill points you earn and you are able to allocate to provide new skills and abilities. He is just mouse mashing and hitting the spacebar. The mechanics allow for a more simple approach or a skilled approach based on how you spec. There is nuance to the system if you use it. Or you can just make a mindless video with a certain position to get clicks and to have it shared. Which seems to work. 

That's cool if you have never played it and it does not look fun to you. No worries. Many do like it. There are enough games for everyone!   
    Sure, I guess I should try it first. I'll report back to you if you're correct 8-) it's just doesn't seem like a great combat mechanics for an mmo
    That might be true. I mean, I love the combat but get a group of 6 or so and maybe it would be problematic.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Made by the same company that owns Warframe. And it's F2P. Ahm.
  • sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

tidsdit said:

Mixed emotions on this for two reasons....F2P and Amazon Studios which houses Smedley.

hmm but if Colin Johanson is on it too .. this might be even better,

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Alexa, buy me another loot box.
    Alexa: "Buying a surprise mechanic."
    LackingMMOPhryKyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    kenguru23 said:
    kenguru23 said:
    kenguru23 said:

Awesome if you are in the USA there is a good deal on the Shadow of Mordor GOTY Edition 

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/shadow-of-mordor-game-of-the-year-edition
    "The mechanics allow for a more simple approach" 

In other words, it sucks.
  • ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    i cringe each time i see "we hired veteran MMO devs"

that is the recipe to fail, you can't make an MMO for tomorow with "veterans" you need fresh new brains

this will fail hard, Amazon, if you want fresh new ideas, just hire me, PM me
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,820
    Torval said:
    Scot said:
    Torval said:
    Sovrath said:
    Aeander said:
    Sovrath said:
    Thane said:

Sovrath said:

Greatness said:

Somehow it will end up as either a survival, battle royals, MOBA, or just strictly mobile.. Praying that it doesn’t!!!

They say it's on pc and console so it won't be strictly mobile. No worries there.

console mmos. always suuuuch a fun to have those minimized action bars to fit on controlers.
    I've never liked having bazzillions of skills so minimized action bar is fine with me. Better yet, just make it a completely action oriented game and that would also work for me. Something akin to Dark Souls or Dragon's Dogma would be perfect.
    I also like minimized action bars but in the opposite direction.

Give me hundreds of skills and let me pick a few of them. Give me a thinking man's game, not an action oriented game.
    When it comes to combat I'd rather have exciting, visceral combat. One of the reasons I first loved Tera when it came out. 

If I want a "thinking man's game" I'll play chess.
    I hate selecting a few skills out of a larger pool. It's one of the things I dislike about ESO. It seems ridiculous to me that I knew how to cast a magic missile yesterday or could use a sword skill then but I forgot it since I didn't "bring it with me". It's sort of an immersion crusher.
    Very similar to DnD's spell memorization idea, so we have to have it. ;)
    You're implying D&D has some sort of explicit stranglehold on design. I disagree with both.

It isn't much like the original spell memorization system at all in my opinion. For one thing, high level wizards with a high intelligence could sport a lot of spells especially coupled with magic devices and gimmicks to echo extra copies of spells. That doesn't even consider the inumerable cantrips that could be cast at a much greater rate if not repeatedly (depending on the campaign because rules changed with every DM). For another they couldn't swap out what they had learnt on the fly. They had to cast or "unlearn" the spell and it took time.

With ESO it's more like you know what could do but are artificially limited to keep the game balanced. There isn't any organic way around that system. It doesn't ruin the game for me, but it really brings out the themepark ride feel.

Since it's not even a remotely similar mechanic to D&D I would say you haven't proven that designers are chasing D&D or it has some overarching influence.

I don't think there is a stranglehold, I think DnD is leaned on too heavily as first choice for ideas in RPG's. I was not being totally serious here anyway, but you did take the bait. :)

But I do think there is a similarity, you went into a lot of detail about how it works in DnD, well it would not necessarily work that way in a computer game. The idea of memorizing something, of having a limited choice of spells you pick for the next day is DnD. It has seen use in various ways in various games. Were the designers here even aware of that? It is just part of gaming design tapestry now so maybe not.

Of course there are other systems, the further you move away from RPG in gaming the more you find them. ESO's is not based on DnD, but lifting an idea or two yes I can see that.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다