Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com : General : The Jimquisition Examines 'the Addictive Cost of Predatory Monetization'

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited July 2019 in Videos Discussion

imageMMORPG.com : General : The Jimquisition Examines 'the Addictive Cost of Predatory Monetization'

MMORPG.com reviews MMO and MMORPG games. We also provide news and exclusive coverage of the MMO gaming space. Our free MMO games list and discussion forums are the best site for gamers in search of a gaming community.

Read the full story here

Gdemami[Deleted User]NildenScotKrematory

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Insightful, about how addiction is used in stages gaming companies have called 'hook, habit, hobby' to draw people in. I could say remind me not to buy a Tribeflame game, but this thinking in its various incarnations is resulting in malpractice in the baulk of the gaming industry.

But could we not have this as something to read, even in this era of easy mode we can still read. :)
    GdemamiBaalzharoninfomatz
  • BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 567
    Scot said:

But could we not have this as something to read, even in this era of easy mode we can still read. :)
    Jim Sterling should make a transcript and send it to Damian Collins and his fellows in the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport select committee.

You know, for the lulz in episode 2...

Scot
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Jim Sterling....new low for mmorpg.com?
    alkarionlogPanther2103[Deleted User]AsmodeuXPhaedruslivesPhryCoolitIselinKyleranPsYcHoGBRand 8 others.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Gdemami said:

They have to cater to the NPCs somehow, don't they?
    PhaedruslivesMauroDiogo

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• PhaedruslivesPhaedruslives Member UncommonPosts: 122
    edited July 2019
    I need to write up a hard hitting expose on what mashed potatoes and chicken tendies have done to this poor man's physiology. They've preyed upon his utter lack of physicality and the void where his dietary discipline is supposed to be. Truly, capitalism strikes again. (I.E. People have no agency and aren't accountable for their own choices?)
    [Deleted User]PhryJeffSpicoliGdemamiIselinKyleranPsYcHoGBRinfomatzPhaserlight[Deleted User]and 1 other.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Gdemami said:
    What's next?  Kicking the guy's dog?

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Gdemami said:

They tend to be triggered by the likes of Jim Sterling, Quartering, Bearing etc.  :p
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012
    Gdemami said:
    While I didn't like him at the start of his show, he's gotten better over time. I can't say I always like "how" he delivers a message but he does sometimes have good opinions.
    PhryScotKyleranLimnicTacticalZombeh
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited July 2019

Gdemami said:

Maybe they just like watching all the corporation lapdogs and shills get triggered. Probably cause Star Citizen doesn't pay them anymore for advertising or something.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Sovrath said:
    Gdemami said:
    While I didn't like him at the start of his show, he's gotten better over time. I can't say I always like "how" he delivers a message but he does sometimes have good opinions.
    He is a bit marmite, love or hate the guy but when it comes to certain things, like lootboxes and the nefarious practices of AAA gaming when it comes to monetisation, i tend to agree with him, and he has been saying it for years so its not like he has suddenly jumped on the bandwagon. I treat him like a gaming industry bellwether, he tends to highlight issues even if you don't agree with his assessment of them. :/
    SovrathCoolitGdemami[Deleted User]Scot[Deleted User]KyleranPsYcHoGBRSBFordSpottyGekkoand 4 others.
    edited July 2019
    Mendel said:

Indeed, shameful of mmorpg.com...
    SBFord
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Gdemami said:

If in your warped reality a video detailing how video game companies exploit people with gambling mechanics is a new low...

You probably need more professional help than the gambling addicts these companies are taking advantage of.

[Deleted User]CoolitMendelPsYcHoGBRSBFordinfomatzTacticalZombeh[Deleted User]MauroDiogosausagemix

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Gdemami said:
    Mendel said:

Indeed, shameful of mmorpg.com...

I find it truly shameful of mmorpg.com to make fun of mentally deficient individual, despite he is embarrassing yourself publically on youtube...
    Read more at https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/482243/mmorpg-com-general-the-jimquisition-examines-the-addictive-cost-of-predatory-monetization#AraowZm8ilow2d8W.99

Speaking of embarrassing yourself publicly...

edited July 2019
    Nilden said:
    I find it truly shameful of mmorpg.com to make fun of mentally deficient individual, despite he is embarrassing yourself publically on youtube...

Yep, that's what I said. It is not nice to mock that guy like this.
    Gdemami said:
    Nilden said:

Oh I know that's what you said. Which is exactly why my reply is stop embarrassing yourself.

They are not mocking him. It's evedent that whoever posted this watched the video because they mention how the mobile developer who checks his morales at the door is scary.

Anyway if you're going to continue you should probably just click those LOL's.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    How original to attack the messenger. We've never seen that before.

Love or hate his schtick and/or body shape he's one the few who has been consistently talking about the AAA monetization rot for many years.

And it is fucking rotted through and through.
    GdemamiNildenKyleranSBFordinfomatzTacticalZombeh[Deleted User]MauroDiogoAzaron_Nightblade
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Nilden said:
    They are not mocking him. 
    ...why else would they post it then? It is evident they are just making fun of him.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited July 2019
    Nilden said:
    Gdemami said:
    Nilden said:

Oh I know that's what you said. Which is exactly why my reply is stop embarrassing yourself.

They are not mocking him. It's evedent that whoever posted this watched the video because they mention how the mobile developer who checks his morales at the door is scary.

Anyway if you're going to continue you should probably just click those LOL's.

Is GDemani trying to refer back to a post that he edited or deleted?  I'd hope that he edited it because he had the self-awareness to realize the post completely derailed its own point with its horrible grammar, but now I'm thinking whatever it was wooshed completely over his head.
    MendelGdemamiLackingMMOSpottyGekkoTacticalZombeh

Yes. He posted this:

"I find it truly shameful of mmorpg.com to make fun of mentally deficient individual, despite he is embarrassing yourself publically on youtube..."

Then he edited it.

• DarkfyraDarkfyra Member UncommonPosts: 21
    edited July 2019
    There are plenty of great games with minor or with no mtx/lootboxes at all most of them indies but yes some AAA/AA are still worth playing if you know what to search,also I did bought some mobile games but they were ports of actual console games or mobile made premium titles with no microtransactions or lootboxes.I only have one free game right now on my iPad and it’s Another Eden that is more of a singleplayer jrpg.Sadly...even if I love them....Square Enix managed to sneak in mtx in masterpieces like Valkyrie Profile and The World End With You so for some they could be risky(knowing that in the main menu for VP and the main town for TWEWY they promote the microtransactions in your face with a NPC) and despite not being altered at all,it’s still sad to see such disrespect for classics....oh and then they desecrate VP grave by making a gacha of it.So now even freaking ports are not immune to greed!
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Never had a single issue with lootboxes....Now being forced to pay a monthly fee, that was robbery.
    KyleranBaalzharonmmolouinfomatzScotSpottyGekkoPhaserlightkitarad
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Never had a single issue with lootboxes....Now being forced to pay a monthly fee, that was robbery.

Like you i do not have a issue personally with gamble mechanics.. I enjoy the passing scratchcard and lootbox.... And that is fine. But it is a fact that people can have problems with the type of triggers that gambling mechanics (not specifically what the law calls gambling but the engineering behind it) so as with most things we have to look towards protecting those who need it, this is the key that many people miss.

Now this is of course nothing new... Social games have always had this sort of hook, Pinball... Carnival games... Arcade games... All use the same hooks more or less to get you to spend money. Videogames on console and home computers just got away for a while because the market was... small.. and companies reacted slowly.

Now.. We see a return to form. It is a sad thing.
    [Deleted User]Mendelinfomatz

This have been a good conversation

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     Sorry i have no sympathy for this , These Lootboxes are targeting the low hanging fruit or Kids whose parents are stupid enough to set up there kids in games they most likely should not be playing and with a CC set up ..

Both are just stupid, begging to separated from there money , people need to be more responsible and disciplined with there money .. If people were the problem would solve itself
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Scorchien said:
     Sorry i have no sympathy for this , These Lootboxes are targeting the low hanging fruit or Kids whose parents are stupid enough to set up there kids in games they most likely should not be playing and with a CC set up ..

Both are just stupid, begging to separated from there money , people need to be more responsible and disciplined with there money .. If people were the problem would solve itself
    Yeah, someone didn't watch the video.

ScorchienTacticalZombeh[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:

Yeah, someone didn't watch the video.

I did

KylerankitaradTacticalZombehbcbully[Deleted User]