Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CD Project Red working on three Cyberpunk games

ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,849
A report from Polish business website Bankier revealed that CD Projekt president Adam Kiciński and CEO Piotr Nielubowicz issued a statement that the company is working on three Cyberpunk-related projects.

We already know what one of these three projects is, the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077. But based on a Google translated version of the report, Nielubowicz said that the next big CD Projekt game will also be set in the “Cyberpunk” universe.
“Our next big project will be in the ‘Cyberpunk’ universe, and we’re already working on it and treat it as a really big and innovative project for us,” Nielubowicz said via the translation.

The third Cyberpunk project in development is reportedly a multiplayer mode for Cyberpunk 2077, allegedly developed by a 40-person team at CD Projekt’s studio in Wroclaw. Each of the three Cyberpunk projects reportedly are being developed by their own teams, while a fourth team is continuing development on The Witcher card game spinoff Gwent.

CD Projekt has not confirmed this multiplayer mode for Cyberpunk 2077, but IGN has reached out to CD Projekt for comment on the reported quotes and the other potential Cyberpunk projects.

Currently, CD Projekt’s marketing is focused solely on Cyberpunk 2077. CD Projekt hosted another major showing at E3 2019 where the studio revealed that actor Keanu Reeves will play a major part in Cyberpunk 2077. We were able to speak with Reeves at E3 to discuss the big Cyberpunk role.

CD Projekt developed previously developed three full RPGs based on The Witcher series of fantasy novels. And should these new reports prove accurate, CD Projekt’s roadmap for the next few years could be focused on Cyberpunk.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/07/01/cd-projekt-developing-three-cyberpunk-games-report

Wonder if that 2021 game they talked about last year and confirmed is still coming is actually that rumored multiplayer mode or a spin off of Cyberpunk 2077. Either way they were not lying at E3 when they said they wanted Cyberpunk to be their star franchise in 20 years people think of Cyberpunk when they think of CDPR

Matt Kim is a reporter at IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.
Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox One X)

Currently Reading: Skaven Slayer (Gotrek and Felix Book 2)

Currently Writing: Champions of Legend Book 1 (3rd Draft)

Currently Watching: Oz (Season 4), Soprano's (Season 1)

OG_ZorvanHatefull

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 18,124
    Got the GTA template ,now they will be whipping out games.

Nice movie/trailer,doesn't do a thing  to convince me.It might be 20 hours of game play,maybe 100% linear,all those city lights but maybe you only traverse in linear fashion road by road and need to unlock your next moves.

Easy to make a bunch of 2D buildings and slap a texture on them.Nice CS's are fun/interesting to watch but what about the actual game play,it is mostly just enter a point and a cs begins,who knows.

Sure GTA has made millions and why i am sure Project Red is copying the idea/layout.Likely comes off as a decent game but  i have not bought anymore GTA's since the first 2,gets old after a bit,i need to see something new not same old new art.

I know one thing for certain,i won't be a dummmy like most and buy this as a pre order or right out of the gate,likely will be selling for my prediction $89,i'll wait a few months and get it at $39.
    ArteriusAsm0deusAeanderalkarionlogkertinXarkotweedledumb99

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    It's absolutely nothing like GTA, Wiz. You're so funny.
    Asm0deusArteriusXarkotweedledumb99
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 4,414
    MP and mobile?
  • ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Asheram said:
    MP and mobile?
    I would highly doubt mobile as CDPR hasn't been shy on taking a few shots at other companies for shady business tactics and mobile releases. If it is a mobile game you better believe news outlets will tear them apart. I also think that CDPR is the most self aware video game company at the moment. They know what people hate and love about modern day video games. I would honestly be shell shocked if one of those games was a mobile.

My guesses are a re-release of Cyberpunk 2077 with a huge multiplayer component added. I mean its been rumored since 2016 and they have never said its not happening. Just that its not going to happen day 1. Perhaps a spin-off like Thronebreaker and Gwent, and Cyberpunk 2. I am sure they are already hard at work figuring it out. Wither 2 and 3 were 4 years apart and they have said they want this game to be the start of a series.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 6,216
    Arterius said:
    Asheram said:
    MP and mobile?
    I would highly doubt mobile as CDPR hasn't been shy on taking a few shots at other companies for shady business tactics and mobile releases. If it is a mobile game you better believe news outlets will tear them apart. I also think that CDPR is the most self aware video game company at the moment. They know what people hate and love about modern day video games. I would honestly be shell shocked if one of those games was a mobile.

My guesses are a re-release of Cyberpunk 2077 with a huge multiplayer component added. I mean its been rumored since 2016 and they have never said its not happening. Just that its not going to happen day 1. Perhaps a spin-off like Thronebreaker and Gwent, and Cyberpunk 2. I am sure they are already hard at work figuring it out. Wither 2 and 3 were 4 years apart and they have said they want this game to be the start of a series.

Didn't they make a Gwent mobile game?

Not that it matters, because Gwent was already perfect for mobile. Quite possibly the best minigame in an RPG. 
    blueturtle13
  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 12,514
    Mobile actually makes sense. Plus they really need the money. Why turn away from all the mobile revenue just for ‘reasons’
    Gwent has been a success in that space and TW3 will be a success on Switch  so no reason it will not be brought to the table. 
    Multiplayer is a given. They are Rockstar games of Poland, why wouldn’t they follow their hero studios lead? 

Torval

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Aeander said:
    Arterius said:
    Asheram said:
    MP and mobile?

Didn't they make a Gwent mobile game?

Not that it matters, because Gwent was already perfect for mobile. Quite possibly the best minigame in an RPG. 
    Yeah CDP bought Spokko last year who is a mobile game developer. They have every intention of developing multiple mobile titles. This has been known for awhile. There is too much money for them not too. 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 20,293
    The game play loop is not. Exploiting the franchise is. This is about CDPR making money. Gamers love to elevate poster studios on a pedestal but the truth is CDPR and GoG aren't much different than most western publishers with regards to strategy and marketing.

They don't sell loot crates in their games, but they do sell games in loot crates on GoG.

They exploit their franchises to the best financial effect they can. To their credit, they seem to try and do that without harming the franchise further. I think many publishers are willing to burn their franchises a little to get more money now. CDPR seems more inclined to play the longer game.

They talk big about DRM free, but they only support the premier DRM operating system. What does it matter that they don't add third party DRM when the entire OS has it built in from the ground up?

On top of that they haven't opened their platform up. It's still very much closed and in their control. While you may not need Galaxy for the old single player games you absolutely do need it for multiplayer. Galaxy is their DRM.

So their outlook and philosophy seems very close to Rockstar's. You can bet if there is an online aspect to Cyberpunk 2077 it will require Galaxy (DRM) and will have microtransactions.
    blueturtle13
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

Torval said:
    The game play loop is not. Exploiting the franchise is. This is about CDPR making money. Gamers love to elevate poster studios on a pedestal but the truth is CDPR and GoG aren't much different than most western publishers with regards to strategy and marketing.

They don't sell loot crates in their games, but they do sell games in loot crates on GoG.

They exploit their franchises to the best financial effect they can. To their credit, they seem to try and do that without harming the franchise further. I think many publishers are willing to burn their franchises a little to get more money now. CDPR seems more inclined to play the longer game.

They talk big about DRM free, but they only support the premier DRM operating system. What does it matter that they don't add third party DRM when the entire OS has it built in from the ground up?

On top of that they haven't opened their platform up. It's still very much closed and in their control. While you may not need Galaxy for the old single player games you absolutely do need it for multiplayer. Galaxy is their DRM.

So their outlook and philosophy seems very close to Rockstar's. You can bet if there is an online aspect to Cyberpunk 2077 it will require Galaxy (DRM) and will have microtransactions.
    If it has microtransactions I will give you $50 as long as you remember this comment. I sure won't but I am a man of my word. 

I highly doubt they will. They went on record last year and said that MTX have no place in a game where people are paying $60 for and then said it again this year about Cyberpunk 2077 when it was brought up again. If they added MTX now it would be dirty unless of course they give out their multiplayer pack for free as a seperete game but I doubt it.

When they were asked in 2016 about a multiplayer mode they shrugged it off saying that if it were to happen it would be diffrent from GTA which is a sandbox. They would want it to still be a RPG. Now I can't say if that has changed but again I think if CDPR makes a multiplayer mode then it will be something better then Rockstar. CDPR loves Rockstar for their single player outings but they have been very vocal on twitter and in interviews about how they feel about their multiplayer offerings. 

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Torval said:

Online multiplayer always requires something to do the matchmaking and manage friends lists. If you didn't have to use Galaxy you'd have to use some other third party app to manage that kind of thing. You can't really complain about it when it's a requirement for it to even function as a feature.

... and you just don't like Windows so you're bound to complain about that being the only supported OS. Saying Windows is a form of DRM just sounds like madness to my ears. Windows is the entire reason I have a functioning computer that can play all the games.

I don't see where they are exploiting anything. They made 3 quality Witcher games.. and 2 quality spin offs. Nothing was a low quality cash grab. If they were exploiting their franchises, do you really think they would have stopped the main Witcher series? They would make so much money from The Witcher 4, featuring Geralt as the lead again. They wouldn't even need to market it to make a killing.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,446
    3 games being worked cyberpunk 2077, cyrberpunk card game and cyberpunk 2080

:p
    Rovn
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I mean... duh.

Anyone who didn't know this when they announced the first one is missing a screw or two.  That's pretty much the going rate these days.  I can hardly name a successful franchise that didn't get three games minimum except for the one that shall not be named.
    Iselin
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 14,685
    First clue... The Witcher was 3 games.
    TorvalrojoArcueid
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

"... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
    Torval said:

Yeah Iwinski even stated they want to emulate the Rockstar model of business. 
    It is one thing to not have loot boxes and micros in a single player offline game and it is another to have the cost of running servers to run and support multiplayer. 
    There will be purchases available for an online mode to be sure. 
    They have to pay for it somehow. 
    Im not sure why this surprises people to think that. 

Torvaltweedledumb99

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Torval said:

It is one thing to not have loot boxes and micros in a single player offline game and it is another to have the cost of running servers to run and support multiplayer. 

How in the world did Doom and Quake ever manage?
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

__ Wizardry, 2020
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 3,317
    edited July 2019
    Are people not running ahead with themselves here?

Do we know what multiplayer will be?

I know cyberpunk 2077 is suppose to be a single player game that can be played offline and as such I expect it to be like the witcher games...and not have micro transactions or drm period if they do otherwise I think they will get a huge huge amount of backlash.

The multiplayer stuff is really vague I think and we don't know exactly what it will be I think, if there all this information out on it please  give me a link someone.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Iselin said:
    Torval said:

I third person mini mmorpg is not the same as a lobby shooter and many would be surprised how expensive even their server costs were. 
    Torvaltweedledumb99

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Iselin said:
    Torval said:

I third person mini mmorpg is not the same as a lobby shooter and many would be surprised how expensive even their server costs were. 
    I'm sure they cost something but the thinking was different back then: you sold more copies of the game because you could play it online forever for free. Kind of like how Diablo 3 still does it.

Ah, the good old days... :)

blueturtle13Torvaltweedledumb99
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

__ Wizardry, 2020
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:

I'm sure they cost something but the thinking was different back then: you sold more copies of the game because you could play it online forever for free. Kind of like how Diablo 3 still does it.

I agree and it can be done but with CDP it is a question of should it be done. 
    They are not financially in the best shape. They need the additional revenue 
    I’m not sure their fan base would turn on them when they introduce cosmetics or something like that. It is the nature of the business in today’s world. They need the money. Unlike Rockstar they don’t have a large company they are under. They are on their own. It makes good business sense. 
    Torvaltweedledumb99

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,953
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:

I’m not sure their fan base would turn on them when they introduce cosmetics or something like that. It is the nature of the business in today’s world. They need the money. Unlike Rockstar they don’t have a large company they are under. They are on their own. It makes good business sense. 
    I'm curious as to why they need the money? Bad management or is it just not possible to make money unless one includes a multitude of micro-transactions?
    Torval
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:

But they've sort of boxed themselves into a corner through many years of loudly portraying themselves as the ones who don't do that. If they truly are hurting financially as you've said several times, it'll be interesting to see how they deal with it.
    ArteriusTorval
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

__ Wizardry, 2020
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:

But they've sort of boxed themselves into a corner through many years of loudly portraying themselves as the ones who don't do that. If they truly are hurting financially as you've said several times, it'll be interesting to see how they deal with it.
    The only way they would ever get away with it now is if it was free. If the multiplayer component was given away as its own game. They have stated, as you have said, dozens of times of the years that they would never put MTX or lootboxes in a game that someone pays money for. However, if the game were free, was like Destiny in a Cyberpunk world, and had some solid RPG elements and a good story that might earn them some serious cash.
    tweedledumb99

Asm0deus said:
    Are people not running ahead with themselves here?

Do we know what multiplayer will be?

I know cyberpunk 2077 is suppose to be a single player game that can be played offline and as such I expect it to be like the witcher games...and not have micro transactions or drm period if they do otherwise I think they will get a huge huge amount of backlash.

The multiplayer stuff is really vague I think and we don't know exactly what it will be I think, if there all this information out on it please  give me a link someone.

Nothing official for me to link anything just a bunch of rumors and speculation over the years from so called "Insiders." Enough for people to believe it but not enough for me to post a link and let it speak for itself.

Rumors are though that they don't want to make it like GTA multiplayer where its a sandbox but want to retain the RPG aspects and the story. That is all that has been said since 2016. What that means is anyone's guess. As I said above that could just be a destiny style game in the Cyberpunk universe. 

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 3,317
    Sovrath said:
    ...snip...

I'm curious as to why they need the money? Bad management or is it just not possible to make money unless one includes a multitude of micro-transactions?
    I am curious where this "they are hurting for money comes from"?  How do we know cdpr is some kind of financial trouble?

I would have thought with the success of the witcher 3 that wouldn't really be an issue right now?

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

the thing about their finances is Thronebreaker tanked and GOG has not performed well. Hence the layoffs. They have done well with TW3 and Gwent sure but TW3 is not a new game and those finances have been used to help balance out GOG and leverage the creation of new technology for the development of Cyberpunk and two more unnamed projects they are working on. 
    Remember as was said before unlike their hero’s over at Rockstar they don’t have a large corporate entity behind them. For a company like theirs every dollar counts. 
    Torval

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다