Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jumping in.. is it a good time?

2»

Comments

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited July 2019
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Thinking of jumping into the game, but wanted to know if this is a good time.  Is it flushed out enough?  Is there gonna be a wipe when it does release?  How is the population?

Any answers would be appreciated.
    The rule of thumb is "If you have to ask, Don't jump in".

The game is coming along nicely and there's some fun to be had with what's available right now, bugs and all, but it's not a polished experience recommended for gamers but more a test bed for players game testers to give feedback, stress the servers and help development by breaking the game and reporting bugs.

With that said there's a 14 day refund window that can be used to play the game at ease and test the waters and if you don't like you can have your money back by going through the official proceedings. Dunno if it would be worth the hassle to you but I doubt it. 
    Arterius said:
    The only problem is I wished it was better optimized but I get that comes. I have a pretty beefy computer (The only downside is my graphics card) and the game runs like crap. I mean my graphics card isn't even that bad. Just a mid teir lvl card
    When was the last time you tried it? Because there were some recent updates that improved performance considerably.

Are you running it from a SSD? You have 16gigs of ram? Because that's a must.

I'm running a 2013's machine with an i5 and a GTX660 along a SSD and 32gb ram dd3 and manage to play fine at 900p.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Arterius said:
    The only problem is I wished it was better optimized but I get that comes. I have a pretty beefy computer (The only downside is my graphics card) and the game runs like crap. I mean my graphics card isn't even that bad. Just a mid teir lvl card
    It's been said here previously it runs pretty well on a 1080 series video card and a SSD is a must.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Yeah without an SSD it's not even worth the download. The game is massive and has no loading screens so it needs SSD to stream data in and out constantly. I'd say wait until you upgrade then give it a try if you remember lol
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Kefo said:
    Its better than EVE Online in its current state. For some reason EVE Online removed walking in stations and captain quarters. Star Citizen is already vastly more advanced because of that, but space gameplay is also a ton more fun and advanced than the pseudo click based with auto AI to do 99% everything for you that game EVE Online is. 

Definitely worth checking out, because there isn't a space MMO nearly as advanced as Star Citizen and Star Citizen isn't even released yet.

However elite dangerous is better in a lot of ways as its actually "complete", but it is a released game. But it isn't really an MMO and you'll very rarely see anyone if at all even in multiplayer.
    Not sure if trolling or serious.
    Star Citizen is literally a ton better. Its pretty genius what the fans of SC did though.

What happened was a ton of Star Citizen fans created a lot of fake hate for walking in stations/quarters in EVE. In actuality they wanted EVE Online to not have that feature and wanted it removed so Star Citizen would have no serious competitors. CCP took the bait and fell for it.

Never seen such genius marketing strategy with that, when it was a strategy by fans and not the company themselves.
    Please tell me more. Sounds amazing.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    I strongly recommend to run SC from SSD. Makes a BIG difference.

Have fun
    Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    Next free fly weekend I might load it up just to see how well it performs on my older gaming laptop.

Has a 500GB SSD, video might be a blocker but is an 8GB card. (16GB RAM on MB)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    I strongly recommend you get a SSD, we will shortly be in the twenties, don't stay in the noughties. :)
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Thanks for all the replys all.

I self identify as a monkey.

Relevant to the Thread:

Star Citizen Before You Buy (Top 3 Things to Consider)

EvilGeekErillion