Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Random Colored Static Freeze

jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
I have a weird issue that I can not pin point a cause to.  Randomly (after PC has been in sleep mode) when I move the mouse to wake it up the PC is totally locked up with colored static on the screen.  The only thing that seems consistent is after a restart I get the prompt to update adobe flash.  I cant find anything in the crash logs and I have also tried "whocrashed" and nothing shows up.  It has never happened while gaming and I think it may have happened once while watching youtube.  It has probably happened at least 15-20x now with various video drivers and what not.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Currently I am running an RX570 with an intel i72600s.

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    First thing - Open the side panel (I'm assuming it's a prebuilt desktop like a Dell or HP based on the CPU), turn the computer on and make sure all the fans are actually spinning. Make sure to check the video card as well, sometimes it's hard to see because the fans will be upside down.

Shut it back down after you check that. While you still have it open, blow out all the fans, fins, cracks and crevices for dust and dirt. You will probably be amazed at what comes out.

Once you've checked all of that out, re-run your computer and stress test it a bit: you can run a game or something will put a bit of strain on there. Most OCers will run Prime95 with Furmark. The goal is to see what your temperatures hit. If you don't have one, you may need a program like HWMonitor or SpeedFan. Post back what you were running, and what the max temp you saw while running it. You are looking in particular for CPU and GPU temps here.

Those are good first steps before getting too drastic or starting to throw money at troubleshooting.
    [Deleted User]
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited June 2019
    Try disabling USB selective suspend and see if that helps

On Windows 7:

Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound-> Power Options -> Change plan settings (select this for the plan you're currently using) -> Change advanced power settings -> USB settings -> USB selective suspend setting. From there select Disabled.

On Windows 10 the menus should be similar.

• jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    Yes it is / was a prebuilt, but I changed out the PSU, GPU, and motherboard.  About the only thing original is the processor and RAM.  I do blow out my PC pretty regularly and I have checked temps and they are all in the normal range.  I just got done gaming and the CPU is sitting at 34 C.  My GPU rarely tops 70 C. 

The USB suspend is definitely a good idea.  I bought a cheap PCIe USB 3.0 HUB from Amazon and I dont think I had the problems before that.  The card itself also seems to be a bit quirky.  I ran the DPC latency checker and while I am in the OK range mouse movements caused it to spike. Not sure if that is normal or not?  I did try disabling the card through device manager but if I recall I still had crashes.   Since it is a PCIe card would the USB suspend apply to that? 

A USB hub plugs into another USB port. A single USB controller can work with up to 127 different devices at the same time, but they are all going to be sharing traffic over that same controller. Hubs can also be powered, and provide additional power for devices on the same controller.

A USB controller card plugs into a PCIe interface and offers a new, independent controller.

If you have a lot of high speed USB devices (external storage, recording-studio quality audio, streaming video cameras, etc), then an added controller can benefit. If your just looking for more ports to stick in occasional thumb drives or Xbox controllers, then a hub is a better idea.

I'd pull that controller and see if that makes a difference.
    [Deleted User]
    Well I am pretty convinced it has to do with adobe flash.  It has done it a couple times in the last few weeks.  Today I finished a game and was surfing around.  I stopped for a bit and screen went to sleep.  I moved the mouse and had the static.  I rebooted and there was a notice to update flash.  The notice was also there the previous time it has done it.  No clue how to fix it...
  • SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    Sounds like a video card/driver issue to me. 

Only time i have had that type of artifacts on screen was when i had bad drivers.  Look for a serious video driver remover Like: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

do a bit of reading and try something like this. they go into the registry so do follow the backup warnings. 
    I always use DDU, but I have been having some issues installing drivers.  Currently I have to jump through hoops to get drivers to install.  Here are the steps I have to follow. 
    1.  Boot into safe mode run DDU
    2.  Reboot into safe mode extract the driver from the adrenaline package and manually install it from the device manager.
    3.  Reboot into normal mode and run the adrenaline setup package

If I do not follow these steps the driver install will hang and eventually return and error and not complete.  I have had this issue with 2 AMD cards a R9 270x and now an RX 570.  I have even done a reinstall of windows I am clueless as to what is going on.  It is really annoying frustrating.  I have tried everything under the sun. 
    Tried a fresh Windows install? Something could be wrong with that 
    [Deleted User]
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I would also go the reinstall Windows route. The issue you are describing typically happens from heat or poor power delivery to the gpu. But those would happen most often during gaming, not during idle.
    I would also not install flash or uninstall it if you have it. Most sites moved away from flash a long time ago and it presents a security risk.
    It might be a good idea to finally move to Windows 10. Windows 7 will be lacking support.
    [Deleted User]
    I have windows 10 64 bit.  I was wondering about a power issue, but I have a decent 650W PSU and like you said it seems to happen when I wake the PC up and not during gaming at all.  With that being said would the card draw more juice when resuming.  Kinda like appliances draw more when first kicking on?  I will definitely try removing flash.