Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What mmorpg opportunity did you miss?

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
The game you think was probably good in its day, but that you never got around to playing. And now, for whatever reason, it doesn't seem worth it to start up as a new player in 2019.

I have quite a few:

Dark Age of Camelot
Asheron's Call
Ultima Online
Lord of the Rings Online (though I did play it briefly - should have kept going)

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

AlBQuirky

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited June 2019
    Ultima Online hands down. I blame only myself for I passed it by because of its 2D (2.5D?) Isometric view. I had played too many CRPGs where that view got in my way (blind spots galore) far too often for me.

What I've read about the game (mainly here) often has me regretting my pass on UO. (Honestly, the PvP also kept me away, but had I looked again after "the patch", I may have enjoyed some time there.)
    Amathe

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    AlBQuirky said:
    Ultima Online hands down. I blame only myself for I passed it by because of its 2D (2.5D?) Isometric view. I had played too many CRPGs where that view got in my way (blind spots galore) far too often for me.

What I've read about the game (mainly here) often has me regretting my pass on UO. (Honestly, the PvP also kept me away, but had I looked again after "the patch", I may have enjoyed some time there.)
    you can turn on the Circle of Tranparency whenever you want , i know folks that play with it on always , i turn it on occasionally , not needed very often
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited June 2019
    Amathe said:
    The game you think was probably good in its day, but that you never got around to playing. And now, for whatever reason, it doesn't seem worth it to start up as a new player in 2019.

I have quite a few:

Dark Age of Camelot
    Asheron's Call
    Ultima Online
    Lord of the Rings Online (though I did play it briefly - should have kept going)

Vanguard: SOH.

I didn't get around to it  because I was piss poor and couldn't afford a PC to play it. Nonetheless, I complained bitterly about it.  I was old schooler. Still am. I didn't think it was nostalgia. I still don't think it's. It's not one-dimensional. Old games are not JUST primitive games with fewer features or less evolved concepts. Old games are more like old styles of cars, versus new styles. Or old clothing styles. Truth is, they're both. There're things that have evolved since then, but too many players ONLY look at what's obvious, and can't be bothered to look deeper. The kind of thinking they need to have to look deeper is non-linear. For example, the non-linear concept that old games might be better with a keyboard since keyboards were used so extensively in EVERYTHING. In modern times, keyboards are used less because of mice, touch-screens, gamepads, voice-commands, different UI systems and other. The result is while a lot has improved since then in terms of keyboards and key commands, there might be cases where things have actually regressed IF you want to play almost exclusively on a keyboard. It should be obvious why this is the case. Software designers and makers have always been lazy, and they'll usually do the least effort. This amounts to loose ends--err regression. This idea isn't restricted to keyboards or monitors or printed manuals or tangibles. It has no boundary.

This is why we should preserve history as truthfully as possible. Because it has many treasures would otherwise be destroyed.
    Post edited by Hawkaya399 on
    AlBQuirky
  • LuidenLuiden Member RarePosts: 336
    Probably Ultima Online.. but I was in school then and couldn't afford to spend time on it.  
    AlBQuirky
  • jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    I never got to play star wars galaxies....
    wingoodPalebaneAlBQuirky
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Matrix Online

I was always curious about that one as it seemed quite different. Then it got closed before I could give it a spin.

Special mention goes to Ryzom. I’ve played it a fair bit and I think it is still worth installing. I never played it during its peak though, that would have been great, unfortunately I came in much later.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    AlBQuirky
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    SWG
    AlBQuirkyHawkaya399

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Evercrack, as someone that played MUD it was the game that everyone talked about and people switched from MUD to that one. Since I lacked a home computer and home access it was never a real option. I was also on the last stage of taking my degree and I think it would have been detrimental to my chances of finishing my degree.

AlBQuirky
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited June 2019
    Ultima Online but like @AlBQuirky said I  would have not enjoyed the PvP aspect and perhaps dropped it fast.
    Chamber of Chains
    Seeing Star Wars: Galaxies mentioned reminded me that I regret not playing that one, too.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

DMKano said:
    Scarlet Blade!

LIAR! You did TOO play Scarlet Blade! :lol:

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I wish i played bless online . . . Too bad it shutdown before i got the chance.
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Most of the games that I "missed" were ones that I was aware of but not interested in.  The one MMO that I wanted to play but didn't get to before it shut down was Tabula Rasa.  I would have liked to have had time to play through more of Kritika Online before it shut down, but that just would have been a matter of picking up the game sooner.