Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

some new videos

Comments

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275
    You think more gamers 2019 would understand how small indie MMO developmers creates thier games nowdays.

But it is really funny how the discussion went from "its vaporware" to "the graphics are bad"  ;)

bcbullyKylerantweedledumb99
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    daarco said:
    You think more gamers 2019 would understand how small indie MMO developmers creates thier games nowdays.

But it is really funny how the discussion went from "its vaporware" to "the graphics are bad"  ;)

No, it's still the same discussion about CoE being "vaporware"  (although the developers might not yet be aware of the fact, but they will when the last deadlines expire)
    Gdemami
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    June 20th 2019...

COE1

Mar 1st 2016...

Image result for chronicles of elyria

Slapshot1188Dakeru

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    If there is going to be war, give me the low poly count.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • QQMorePleaseQQMorePlease Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Nilden said:
    What you're actually getting:

COE1

What you think you're getting:

fixed

NildenAllerleirauh
    Because someone said they only wanted to see facts and not promises about the D&SS and other stuff:

Caspian ☁Today at 12:12 AM

I think it's unfortunate we've reached a point where people generally reach consensus and agree on "anything the devs say is bullshit anyways and we can't trust anything until it's in our hands." In an ideal world, people would recognize that what we say here in Discord isn't "official" unless it's in the official-updates channel, as much of what we talk about here is in "discussion" and not "announcements." It's really us getting quick feedback, sharing our excitement, and hanging with the people. As for the official-updates and forums, if it's "official," then aside from our past history of hitting release dates, I'm sad that people are now effectively trying to convince others not to believe anything we say. But... If nobody is going to believe what we say anyways... I know how I'm not going to be spending my time...
    What does you post have to do with the video footage shown in OP?

please try to stay on topic.
    Slapshot1188
  • goldboyy45goldboyy45 Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Nilden said:
    June 20th 2019...

COE1

Mar 1st 2016...

easy explanation, they pretty much spent all their 6-7M funding on failed concepts that were not thought out...SpatialOS was a big one, Elyria MUD/ Vox Elyria, all concepts that sucked money out of the project and were scrapped. Now they have nothing left but these low poly graphics, don't let them fool you, Caspian will say this is temporary while they build the game....bullshit.
    Gdemami
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    bcbully said:
    Personally... as I have said since they first switched to the low-poly graphics for development... I think they should stick with them for launch and THEN worry about upgrading them.  I think they can make the low-poly stuff look decent with some effort and they can focus their money on the core game. 

My problem is not at all with the look, but rather the functionality of what was shown.  I would expect the game systems to be far more developed by this point. remember.. right on these very forums in 2016 Jeromy talked about being months from a playable demo:

We're still a couple months out from even the playable demo, but this is what we've achieved with just one environment artist and one technical artist. Imagine what we could achieve with a fully funded team. 
    Read more at https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/446232/a-road-less-traveled-an-exclusive-look-at-a-demo-location/p2#SgUu3ZkuuLhPRUFQ.99

It's 2019 and he hasn't even finished the maps and from the look of the videos in the OP it looks like they are just in the early stages of basic mechanics.  So yeah, I would put the money into building the game mechanics and save cash/time by sticking to the low poly graphics for now.

KyleranGdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• goldboyy45goldboyy45 Member UncommonPosts: 301
    bcbully said:
    Personally... as I have said since they first switched to the low-poly graphics for development... I think they should stick with them for launch and THEN worry about upgrading them.  I think they can make the low-poly stuff look decent with some effort and they can focus their money on the core game. 

My problem is not at all with the look, but rather the functionality of what was shown.  I would expect the game systems to be far more developed by this point. remember.. right on these very forums in 2016 Jeromy talked about being months from a playable demo:

We're still a couple months out from even the playable demo, but this is what we've achieved with just one environment artist and one technical artist. Imagine what we could achieve with a fully funded team. 
    Read more at https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/446232/a-road-less-traveled-an-exclusive-look-at-a-demo-location/p2#SgUu3ZkuuLhPRUFQ.99

It's 2019 and he hasn't even finished the maps and from the look of the videos in the OP it looks like they are just in the early stages of basic mechanics.  So yeah, I would put the money into building the game mechanics and save cash/time by sticking to the low poly graphics for now.

Well said, now just give my KS refund and we call it a day. Seriously, when i backed this game I did not expect these piss poor poly graphics..nor in their KS did they speak of developing this game using that logic. The ONLY reason they switched to this method is that they won't admit the shit they are in because of making piss poor mistakes, Caspian will never admit that. This is not what i signed up, nor is it what the majority of people who backed this Kickstarter. This is a bait and switch while not being transparent to the actual reason this was done.
    GdemamiAllerleirauh
    We are totally building this house...
    Image result for house

Image result for 3 years later

Here is what we have so far...

Image result for crappy house

Then we have these splendid people...

Image result for white knight

Cheering this on louder than the paid crowd at Bethesda E3...

Image result for cheering bethesda e3

YEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH WOOOOOOOOHHHOOOOOOOOO for gaming in 2019!

Hell they could probably release it without NPCs and people would cheer when they added them in.

Might as well alter the Daenarys Game of Thrones meme where she says best season ever to best game ever.

Smash that LOL
    KyleranGaladournDerryFHTorrsk

• zeroscloudzeroscloud Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Nilden said:
    We are totally building this house...
    Image result for house

Image result for 3 years later

Here is what we have so far...

Image result for crappy house

Then we have these splendid people...

Image result for white knight

Cheering this on louder than the paid crowd at Bethesda E3...

Image result for cheering bethesda e3

YEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH WOOOOOOOOHHHOOOOOOOOO for gaming in 2019!

Hell they could probably release it without NPCs and people would cheer when they added them in.

Might as well alter the Daenarys Game of Thrones meme where she says best season ever to best game ever.

Smash that LOL

LOL brutal! I love it!
  • killimandroskillimandros Member UncommonPosts: 64
    So, theres a lot of e-peen measuring and doomsday-bragging going on here. Slapshot is addint good points to the discussion, on what the OP was about. Lol Im not interested in yet another god damned long post about Caspian and whatever TF he said or did at discord. Not interested. I want people analyzing the videos and the in game mechanics. Is this as expected? In some ways it looks better than CU, I think, but then again, theres only ONE pc. Im still trying to figure out if I like  or not the interaction system where you actually have to conversate with NPCs
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

At least it's a bit more honest than I'd expect from the studio.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

anemo said:
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

At least it's a bit more honest than I'd expect from the studio.

I’m sure they’ve been intentionally dishonest. They seem to be transparent to a fault.
    Slapshot1188
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited June 2019
    So, theres a lot of e-peen measuring and doomsday-bragging going on here. Slapshot is addint good points to the discussion, on what the OP was about. Lol Im not interested in yet another god damned long post about Caspian and whatever TF he said or did at discord. Not interested. I want people analyzing the videos and the in game mechanics. Is this as expected? In some ways it looks better than CU, I think, but then again, theres only ONE pc. Im still trying to figure out if I like  or not the interaction system where you actually have to conversate with NPCs
    I think the important question about that interaction system is, how will it work for a group of 20 villages with total of 2 000 NPCs when you're doing your 100th search.

To me it looks like they're doing a system that would be interesting a small scale game, but will be too complex and too cumbersome for a MMO scale environment.

EDIT: Also it looks way inferior to CU. CU is an actual game that provides us with stuff that works even if it's unfinished. This is a prototype of a single feature /EDIT
    Slapshot1188

Just popped by the games forums. First visit in months and theres 3 in game videos. I ASSUME theyre in game. It could obviously just be a very tiny zone created to make an impression of in game, but anyway. Feel free to roast it at your pleasure;

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31701/shiny-day-sometimes-you-have-to-stop-and-take-stock
    I can officially say with 100% certain , this is a scam. THe video is showing Albion online character creator with a overlay of their "scam" . 
    ?
    Can you provide some support for that?  

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I liked the UI. Very compact and intuitive. 

The rest of it looked way too basic.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Just popped by the games forums. First visit in months and theres 3 in game videos. I ASSUME theyre in game. It could obviously just be a very tiny zone created to make an impression of in game, but anyway. Feel free to roast it at your pleasure;

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31701/shiny-day-sometimes-you-have-to-stop-and-take-stock
    I can officially say with 100% certain , this is a scam. THe video is showing Albion online character creator with a overlay of their "scam" . 
    ?
    Can you provide some support for that?  
    just go play Albion. The CoE features are straight out of Chaos Throne ...
    I typed Albion Online Character Creation into youtube...

Care to elaborate. I'm not seeing it other than a slight graphical resemblance.

How could anyone ever argue with such concrete, undeniable evidence. *giggle*
    Slapshot1188Kyleran[Deleted User]

Nilden said:
    Yeah, I am certainly no fan of Jeromy but... this is just... bizarre.

Kyleran

Nilden said:
    Yeah, I am certainly no fan of Jeromy but... this is just... bizarre.

Yeah we don't need people making stuff up when we can literally quote Caspian and show screenshots and videos they release officially.
    Kyleran

• TekroTekro Member UncommonPosts: 19
    OK, I am a late comer to this thread.. but I am confused.. what is all the nay saying about?  The video says "PRELYRIA", if you are following the actual game then you know what that is and means and the value it holds.  I haven't seen anything for quite a bit.. work and life etc.. but just seeing this today makes me feel GREAT!!  Awesome progress and inroads to the real game.  This content could be switch to the actual 'game engine' and look like the playable content they present last year with the mini game.. It is not for that purpose.. For those that don't believe OR are tired of waiting.. Give it a REST and do something else with your time.  Time is on CoE's side and though we might want it yesterday.. We have to give Caspian and team support to keep going...  Now with that said.. I hope they are utilizing the funds given as best they can and not wasting them, but being a business owner.. I do know how funds go faster than ever planned!! LOL.. Cheers MMORPGers..   Looking forward to new worlds to play and live in!!

Slapshot1188DerryFHbcbullyDakeru
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Regarding the videos I'm a bit surprised at all of the salt, Snipehunter clearly explained how they were a mixture of dev placeholder and pre-Elyria graphics, with more emphasis on the former.

None were presented as release quality, but rather to provide some insight on how systems are unit tested using such.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Tekro said:
     This content could be switch to the actual 'game engine' and look like the playable content they present last year with the mini game
    This is something I have seen many people say. I can't say I really understand that. While people on SBS forums, plus SBS themselves have said this is just how the industry does it. Can basically test stuff easier, then do a straight up transfer of data to the real thing. 

For all I know, this is how every game does do it. Hard to tell, since pretty much every company you don't get to see behind the scenes of, until sometime around beta. By that point, no doubt they have already dropped this low poly/graphic version. 

While if the above is true. When it is suppose to save time? Pre-Elyria has been going for around a year? I think. Just seems, unless someone knows how this is suppose to work. It's a fall back line.

"This is what everyone does, oh it will save us so much time and money"
    "Oh cool, we should be coming along nicely then"
    "Nah development takes time. Be patient"

Something I have seen both things said over and over. Which seems it can only be one. Either Pre-Elyria is really about to drop, in the coming months. Easily before the year is over. Or really it doesn't save any time and we shouldn't expect it for another year, if not longer. 

Or it is more the case, the alphas/betas will be super quick. But it will take longer in this stage.
    Gdemami
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited June 2019
    Torrsk said:
    Tekro said:
     This content could be switch to the actual 'game engine' and look like the playable content they present last year with the mini game
    This is something I have seen many people say. I can't say I really understand that. While people on SBS forums, plus SBS themselves have said this is just how the industry does it. Can basically test stuff easier, then do a straight up transfer of data to the real thing. 

For all I know, this is how every game does do it. Hard to tell, since pretty much every company you don't get to see behind the scenes of, until sometime around beta. By that point, no doubt they have already dropped this low poly/graphic version. 

While if the above is true. When it is suppose to save time? Pre-Elyria has been going for around a year? I think. Just seems, unless someone knows how this is suppose to work. It's a fall back line.

"This is what everyone does, oh it will save us so much time and money"
    "Oh cool, we should be coming along nicely then"
    "Nah development takes time. Be patient"

Something I have seen both things said over and over. Which seems it can only be one. Either Pre-Elyria is really about to drop, in the coming months. Easily before the year is over. Or really it doesn't save any time and we shouldn't expect it for another year, if not longer. 

Or it is more the case, the alphas/betas will be super quick. But it will take longer in this stage.
    It would appear they've invested very little in release quality graphics, focusing on core systems using placeholder graphics to date.

No idea how much effort it takes to replace it all with the final art, not inconsequential I'm guessing.
    Gdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon