Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Developer Blog post from Brad McQuaid

13»

Comments

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited June 2019
    What viable MMORPG engines (rendering) are out there besides Unity? Every time I see a developer use Unreal Engine I know there's going to be some issue regardless of cute screenshots and fly-throughs.

Archeage used Cryengine right? In terms of being able to run with actual MMO level of players on screen, that seemed to be a lesser "evil" than UE.

What's the skinny on engines for MMOs?
    Gdemami
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited June 2019
    "LOLBOT isn't programmed to answer questions. Wannabe game developer mode aborted." -LOLBOT 2019
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • BazgrimTVBazgrimTV Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Gdemami said:
    People only grunt at unity because they see the games that regular people make with unity label on it.
    Kind of....

The thing about Pantheon is, everything about the game is dated(and simple) - the visuals and design, so the game will likely be functional, but it won't be impressive example of engine capabilities.

The 'limitations' in this case aren't technical or skill but design rooted.
    ... that you've seen so far. Their process is such that they must build a basic yet solid foundation for a system first before adding the more complex layers on top of it. For example, yes, combat is very simple currently. But they have said many times that there will eventually be many additional aspects such as ambient mobs, dispositions, etc. to make combat much more interesting. They just wanted to make sure the basics are there and working and fun before they get too far ahead of themselves. So it really is a matter of waiting and seeing. The grand vision is much more than you what you see now because it's still being built.
    bcbullyKyleran
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    BazgrimTV said:
    Gdemami said:
    People only grunt at unity because they see the games that regular people make with unity label on it.
    Kind of....

The thing about Pantheon is, everything about the game is dated(and simple) - the visuals and design, so the game will likely be functional, but it won't be impressive example of engine capabilities.

The 'limitations' in this case aren't technical or skill but design rooted.
    ... that you've seen so far. Their process is such that they must build a basic yet solid foundation for a system first before adding the more complex layers on top of it. For example, yes, combat is very simple currently. But they have said many times that there will eventually be many additional aspects such as ambient mobs, dispositions, etc. to make combat much more interesting. They just wanted to make sure the basics are there and working and fun before they get too far ahead of themselves. So it really is a matter of waiting and seeing. The grand vision is much more than you what you see now because it's still being built.
    So the game is still in its "very first stage" of development ?

No big deal, I can wait, but Holy Cow...... How long ?
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    They are not rolling in cash so the game will take time. No problem I can wait a few years, I have other games I play and my steam backlog is frightening.
    KyleranGdemami
    Chamber of Chains
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited July 2019
    cheyane said:
    They are not rolling in cash so the game will take time. No problem I can wait a few years, I have other games I play and my steam backlog is frightening.
    Few years? Four more easy, you heard it here first.

BazgrimTV said:
    Gdemami said:

So the game is still in its "very first stage" of development ?

No big deal, I can wait, but Holy Cow...... How long ?
    The US could quite possibly elect two Presidents before Pantheon hits final release unless the current development pace picks up some.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    cheyane said:
    They are not rolling in cash so the game will take time. 
    It is actually the other way round - if you are not rolling in cash, sooner you are forced to release.
    Kyleran
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I keep waiting for the statement from Brad: "Sorry but the game is boring we are closing up shop"
  • rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725
    VG is my all time favorite MMORPG and I hope Pantheon plays similar but there is no way saying VG had no programming or design flaws is a defensible position.

Remember when they decided they wanted to harvest trees and had to modify the speed tree system to accommodate this? That was a huge impact, a failing of design in terms of deciding this change so late and choice of technologies that didnt support the requirements and programming in being able to deliver an appropriate alternative.

Remember when mobs couldn't traverse chunks? Big design flaw, big programming flaw big flaw in every software development aspect.

Remember falling through the world often, thats a programming flaw.

Remember years later when they redid meshes to reduce the burden of artists so every new item didnt need a suite of meshes for every character, instead parts were more interchangeable? Massive design flaw to wait years before deciding this was even a thing.

At the same time they redid some areas so chunk edges were not near important content because they never resolved the fundamental inability of the engine to deal with chunk traversal. This is a design flaw.

[Deleted User]
  • Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    qwert666 said:
    Amathe said:
    With Vanguard they took their time and overdid it on the graphics, until time and the patience of their corporate overlord ran out. Bedlam followed.
    People say this but there is no proof. Brad said the problem with Vanguard was that Microsoft decided to make the Xbox and abandoned a bunch of smaller projects to focus on the Xbox corporate-wide. 

Also I disagree with the people who say Vanguard had bad programming and good design. I think the design had many problems that really surprised me and really disappointed me. The way some mobs were linked and unable to be split was one big problem and stopped people going to some dungeons. Also the way mobs had dots above their heads and a level, so the player had to check 2 bits of information to work out if a mob was doable or not. I know why they did this and personally I liked it, but I remember reading reviews that were like WTF? When you are trying to steal a chunk of the WoW audience, which Vanguard admitted to doing, you need to go about things in a slicker way than that. Also the way travel worked just wasn't fun for the majority of players. I constantly saw people trying to run from one part of the world to another because they were trying to reach a group or some friends, and they died on the journey because they thought they could run through a bunch of mobs like you usually can in WoW. The game had flying mounts yet about 100,000 people quit the game before they even saw one. 

As for the bad programming, don't think anyone can prove that either. A game having lots of broken aspects doesn't mean bad programming. That was the result of it being unfinished. Brad said it was released 6 months before it was done, but that was 6 months with a huge staff of over 100 people working full time. That is a hell of a lot of work that was missing. 
    Just about every MMORPG I played had some linked mobs in some dungeons that could not be split. Some had lots of mobs that way. I don't see where that is bad design. That was why you need a decent group when doing dungeons.
     Anyway I alpha/beta tested vanguard for over a year and the game was the most fun for me in early beta.  I think they should have stop feature addition earlier in the development and worked on releasing a more stable game and maybe added some of the other stuff in later expansions.