Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA Vice President of Legal Adroitly Renames Lootboxes as 'Surprise Mechanics' - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Even a CEO can throw a thesaurus at problems.  Doesn't fix the problem in any meaningful way.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Gdemami said:
    And loot boxes aren't yours.  Or anyone else's.
    Of course it is someone's right - developers.

Devs, and any business, have the right to monetize their products as they see fit.

But here you stand, disgruntled because they don't sell and price the way you want, supporting any effort to take their very right away from them.

I can't even find words for such so simple-minded attitude...
    "As they see fit" sums up your moral bankruptcy very nicely.  I bet Bernie Madoff, Enron and the Lehman Brothers are you heroes. "As they see fit" ... LMAO.
    Gdemami
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    @Iselin Sounds more like Final Solution rather than final answer. 

@Aeander What?

@MadFrenchie ;Jesus mate. Putting buying skins from boxes of chance to endangering the lives of children on the same level? I won't even dignify that with an answer. 

Quit clutching pearls and reread it.

The principle that holds has nothing to do with the severity.  Snake oil salesman didn't kill people with useless ointments, either.  Still a net loss for society.
    I did reread it. I also read your new post. I still fail to see the connection. And you know me mate, I am being sincere. 
    Society has a rich and undisputed history of removing schemes or systems that are considered net losses to society.  Children dying or not is not the measuring stick for the need for regulations.

Pretty much ALL regulatory actions are taken to do just that.  The severity of the issue's effects may differ, but nowhere does that mean the general underlying societal issue being resolved is different.
    I'm sorry mate, you know English is my 3rd language. What is a "net loss to society" you need to explain that first before we can tango. 
    AeanderGdemami
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited June 2019
    Gdemami said:

Devs, and any business, have the right to monetize their products as they see fit.

But here you stand, disgruntled because they don't sell and price the way you want, supporting any effort to take their very right away from them.

No, they actually don't.  There is no inherent right to specific monetization techniques enshrined into the Constitution.

Therefore, a simple piece of legislation can restrict how businesses do so.  It requires no Constitutional amendment, as would, say, abridging the company's right to association (EDIT- even these "inalienable" rights can be revoked for specific circumstances).

In fact, the Constitution defers heavily to states on how trade should be regulated.  So really, state legislation is enough to take away a company's right to monetize via loot boxes.
    GdemamiHashbrick

Mendel said:
    Even a CEO can throw a thesaurus at problems.  Doesn't fix the problem in any meaningful way.

The funniest part is that they surround themselves with spineless ass-kissers so much that they start believing their shit truly doesn't stink. And then they go and say shit like "we call them surprise mechanics" with a straight face.
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Gdemami said:

"As they see fit" sums up your moral bankruptcy very nicely.  I bet Bernie Madoff, Enron and the Lehman Brothers are you heroes. "As they see fit" ... LMAO.
    I don't know about him but my moral stands behind free market. Show me proof of price fixing conspiracy and then I'll get behind you. Besides that, it is just subjective feelings and personal choices. Which I do respect yours. Support whoever you want. But you don't want to give the other people the same choice. 
    Aeander

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    Iselin said:
    Gdemami said:

I don't know about him but my moral stands behind free market. Show me proof of price fixing conspiracy and then I'll get behind you. Besides that, it is just subjective feelings and personal choices. Which I do respect yours. Support whoever you want. But you don't want to give the other people the same choice. 
    I draw the line at scammers getting the same choice. I also don't want murderer and rapists to have the same choice. But that's just me apparently.

Letting business do as they see fit has to be one of the dumbest thoughts a human being can have given even the tiniest awareness of the history of commerce.
    MadFrenchieMendelAeanderGdemami

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited June 2019
    Conditioning is a powerful force (and not just for your hair!).
    Mendel

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Conditioning is a powerful force (and not just for your hair!).
    Air is my conditioning of choice!

MadFrenchie

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

This is a surprise mechanic, your move EA.
    MadFrenchieAeander
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Gdemami said:

I draw the line at scammers getting the same choice. I also don't want murderer and rapists to have the same choice. But that's just me apparently.

Letting business do as they see fit has to be one of the dumbest thoughts a human being can have given even the tiniest awareness of the history of commerce.
    We are not talking about scammers, murderers and rapists. We are talking about game developers. 

I never said we should businesses do whatever they want. Free market doesn't mean that. 

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Gdemami said:

We are not talking about scammers, murderers and rapists. We are talking about game developers. 

I never said we should businesses do whatever they want. Free market doesn't mean that. 
    But we are talking about scammers.
    Gdemami said:

Within reason, let's be careful here.  Anything that can trigger addiction should be regulated, lootboxes are not, surprise boxes are not, invisible gambling mechanics are not.  It's not a simple-minded attitude, it's the fear of the mental health issues that are just now coming out into light.  That a brain is wired in such a way and depending on how you developed you might not be able to react rationally to the situation or in most cases control it.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
    edited June 2019
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Gdemami said:

Your agreement with Gdemami seems to undermine your statement about not letting businesses do whatever they want since that was exactly his point. A point that he always trots out in these discussions as if it made sense.
    MadFrenchieGdemamiAeander

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited June 2019
    Hashbrick said:
    Anything that can trigger addiction

That a brain is wired in such a way and depending on how you developed you might not be able to react rationally to the situation or in most cases control it.
    Literaly anything can be addictive. What are you gonna do about it? Regulate/ban everything and everyone?

If that is the case, it is the brain that requires a treatment, not the 'trigger' of an addiction.
    AeanderVorthanion
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    Gdemami said:
    Hashbrick said:

That a brain is wired in such a way and depending on how you developed you might not be able to react rationally to the situation or in most cases control it.
    Literaly anything can be addictive. What are you gonna do about it? Regulate/ban everything and everyone?

If that is the case, it is the brain that requires a treatment, not the 'trigger' of an addiction.
    I can think of a brain that requires a treatment.
    Gdemami said:
    Hashbrick said:

Sure can, but addiction financially is the kicker.  If it can cause hardship it should be regulated.  That's just common sense.  Let me re literate.

If you want to sell your cosmetics, sell your cosmetics.  If you want to put in an invisible box and make it so there is small chance to get it among a sea of shit, well then fuck you.
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Gdemami said:

Your agreement with Gdemami seems to undermine your statement about not letting businesses do whatever they want since that was exactly his point. A point that he always trots out in these discussions as if it made sense.
    We are talking about a very specific "thing" not whatever comes to our imagination. 

Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Gdemami said:

We are talking about a very specific "thing" not whatever comes to our imagination. 
    I have no idea what you're trying to say with that.

We were talking about an EA exec trying to change the lootbox narrative by claiming that they internally don't call them loot boxes but "surprise mechanics" instead. I've been in enough board meetings in my working life to know that this is utter bullshit and is just a made up thing to say publicly in order to semantically try to sanitize shit... something made up by the marketting department.

Gdemami made a generalization saying quite clearly "Devs, and any business, have the right to monetize their products as they see fit" and you agreed with that.

And this is utter nonsense since regulators since ancient times have stepped in and regulated precisely that because businesses have proven over and over that they can not self-regulate worth a shit.

So which part exactly am I imagining? 

GdemamiLackingMMO

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited June 2019
    Hashbrick said:
    Sure can, but addiction financially is the kicker. 
    So are addictions detrimental to health.

You are not making any point besides that addictions are harmful.

That alone tho does not set the case for regulation.
    Aeander
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Gdemami said:

We were talking about an EA exec trying to change the lootbox narrative by claiming that they internally don't call them loot boxes but "surprise mechanics" instead. I've been in enough board meetings in my working life to know that this is utter bullshit and is just a made up thing to say publicly in order to semantically try to sanitize shit... something made up by the marketting department.

Gdemami made a generalization saying quite clearly "Devs, and any business, have the right to monetize their products as they see fit" and you agreed with that.

And this is utter nonsense since regulators since ancient times have stepped in and regulated precisely that because businesses have proven over and over that they can not self-regulate worth a shit.

I never said you are imagining things. You said I must be pro of 'businesses can do whatever they want' and I replied no, I believe in free market, and we are discussing a very specific thing--which is monetization--not anything imaginable. 

Can you point out to some regulations regarding business monetization which wouldn't fall into running monopolies or price fixing? 

Gdemami said:
    Hashbrick said:
    Sure can, but addiction financially is the kicker. 
    So are addictions detrimental to health.

You are not making any point besides that addictions are harmful.

That alone tho does not set the case for regulation.
    I'm not going to sit here an argue a point with a stone wall, you know who you are, we all know who you are.  You go against the grain on the most asinine points.
    AeanderGdemami
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Gdemami said:

I never said you are imagining things. You said I must be pro of 'businesses can do whatever they want' and I replied no, I believe in free market, and we are discussing a very specific thing--which is monetization--not anything imaginable. 

Can you point out to some regulations regarding business monetization which wouldn't fall into running monopolies or price fixing? 
    Rent controls in many urban centers, gas prices occasionally (even Nixon did this)... there are tons of examples if you care to look it up where no, they can not monetize as they see fit.
    Gdemami

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited June 2019
    Iselin said:

Rent controls in many urban centers, gas prices occasionally (even Nixon did this)... there are tons of examples if you care to look it up where no, they can not monetize as they see fit.
    Even beyond this, there's no ingrained right that requires some kind of judicial test to clear the bar of discriminatory action- we are free to limit business monetization however society sees fit to do so.

Folks are acting as if the right to lootbox is part of the Bill of Rights.  It isn't.  In any country.

If allowing the practice results in shady or undesirable outcomes, it's as easy as a legislature majority to outlaw that practice.  This isn't new or novel, and it sure as hell isn't limited to monetization practices.
    Post edited by MadFrenchie on
    GdemamiAeanderIselin

Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Gdemami said:

Even beyond this, there's no ingrained right that requires some kind of judicial test to clear the bar of discriminatory action- we are free to limit business monetization however society sees fit to do so.

Folks are acting as if the right to lootbox is part of the Bill of Rights.  It isn't.  In any country.

If allowing the practice results in shady or undesirable outcomes, it's as easy as a legislature majority to outlaw that practice.  This isn't new or novel.
    The only reason gaming monetization is largely unregulated is because, let's face it, we're talking about a non-essential, affluent first world product and regulators tend to ignore that. They may want to regulate public transit and taxi fares but they couldn't give less of a shit about how much a Lambo or Ferrari sells for.

But the reason regulating them is getting some traction now is because despite their superfluous nature, kids play them and parents, who are collectively becoming aware of gaming monetization like they never have before, object to anyone trying to manipulate their kids out of their proverbial lunch money. Especially when they do it with tactics that are sophisticated enough to work on adults.

Gdemami

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED