Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Discussion about Marvel's Avengers Game

ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 1,376
So I would like to have a friendly discussion pertaining to Marvel's Avengers game that is coming out next year. Up until this game was announced gamers around the web screamed that GaaS was a horrible model for video games. Some going so far to say that they wouldn't play a GaaS style game altogether. You also had a lot of people saying that MTX in any form was a bad practice and that they wouldn't spend money on games like that either.

Enter The Avengers which not just says that their game is going to be a GaaS but after E3 is over says that their will be no lootboxes and P2W MTX but their will be extensive MTX. Yet no one seems to care. The same people who hated on MTX and GaaS games in the past are now clamoring at the bit for this game and I don't get it. Sometime's I feel like I am the only person who isn't at all excited for The Avengers Game.

That is also insane because I was raised off Marvel since I was three. Reading the comics, playing the video games, watching  the movies, collecting the merch, and even the novels. If anyone should be excited for an Avengers game its me. However, I am not because of the reasons stated above.

Yes, I know their is going to be single player story but on the same end they were coy about how long it would be. That worries me. If the game was single player only fine but is the single player story is going to be all of  five hours and be more like a tutorial for the characters in question and then the rest of the game is an Anthem, Division 2, or Warframe style game. They are not really answering these questions which worries me since the game comes out in less then a year.

The discussion I want to have is this. Why is everyone turning a blind eye towards The Avengers? Why does The Avengers get a pass when no other game does? Is it just because of the IP or are people just hypocrites? 

Comments

• AsheramAsheram Member RarePosts: 3,764

Arterius
  • ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 1,376
    Asheram said:

Thanks
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 4,482
    Warframe/Division with superheroes actually sounds fucking awesome.

It's just up to them whether they want to release that with the content and polish it deserves.
  • bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 279
    I'm turning a blind eye to Marvel's Avengers because it's still 10 months away and I have not seen enough of the game yet to get riled up about it one way or the other. I don't mind GaaS or microtransactions, so that's not an aspect of this game that I consider controversial, though I know the vocal internet probably does. 

I'm not the target demographic for MTX as I have never felt compelled to pay for them and have no issue just scrolling on by without letting them impact my experience, and to me GaaS just means continued content and dev support that I can choose to pay for if I'm still enjoying the core experience or ignore and move on from the game like any other single-player title if I'm not. 

I do enjoy comics and grew up on Marvel, though, and Squeenix/Crystal Dynamics have been doing good things of late, so I'll keep an eye on the game as we get closer to its release.
  • Noobmaster_95Noobmaster_95 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    For now it seems boring... And Natasha looks like a man meh. Hope devs will do something about it
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 4,482
    edited July 25
    This whole games as a service = bad argument lacks nuance and is actually just as harmful to the industry as bad live service games are in themselves. Developers shouldn't have to be afraid to announce a live game just because a different live game by a different developer came out and was bad.

Every game is its own case. Warframe is not Anthem. Final Fantasy 14 isn't Fallout 76. 

I prefer single player games myself (almost all of my top 10 games ever are single player after all), but you won't find me saying that Marvel's Avengers is trash because it is an online multiplayer game with an ongoing story. I'll say Marvel's Avengers is trash if it releases as trash.