Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most addictive PC strategy games?

slowpoke68slowpoke68 Member UncommonPosts: 541
I remember playing Civ 2 and losing days at a time.  More recently I experienced that with Crusader Kings 2.  Have some time off of work and looking to lose myself in a really great just one more turn strategy game.  Tried out Gal Civ 3 last night and not sure if it will scratch that itch, going to start another game this morning and see.

Suggestions?

Thanks much!
gunklacker

Comments

• gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 231
    i snuck Civ 2 on my laptop at work, so i played it more then solitaire
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,837
    Fallen Enchtress Legendary Heroes is my personnel favorite with Age of Wonders III a close second. Both are fantasy based though so.....

FE LH is something special, to me at least. It combines turn based with RPG elements and character building with weapon and armor slots . Also tons of workshop tools built into the game to create your own factions with custom armor , create custom units, design your own maps, to much to list. Its awesome.
    PalebaneAlBQuirkyTorvalPhry
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,834
    Eador Imperium is one i always return to ...

Torval
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 16,303
    The problem i run into with strat games is eventually a trend appears and that you MUSTY follow very specific patterns to win.Once i see the common trend i usually get turned off and stop playing,so i end up never finishing these games.

So for this i prefer very old school like Langrisser 2,Shining series etc etc.In these games i can fully change up my strat and characters development and still achieve a winning pace.
    Caffynated

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 16,303
    That Imperium game looks ok but seems like a direct rip off of heroes of Might n Magic.Age of Empires is usually my go to game in that genre ,been waiting a long time for a new one but i feel judging by now a day standards and seeing how Microsoft has been operating,i suspect that i won't see their best effort on a new AOE game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 3,620
    edited June 17
    Endless Space, Endless Legend, Age of Wonders series (Planetfall releases in August.)

If you like old school and dont mind old graphics, Lords of Magic was my first foray into the genre and holds a special place in my heart. If you are looking for something a bit more whacky and underground (but old) try to find a copy of Tribal Rage. Command and Conquer series is quite good from what I’ve heard, but I dont like RTS much beyond Starcraft.
    Post edited by Palebane on
    blueturtle13

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,834
    Wizardry said:
    That Imperium game looks ok but seems like a direct rip off of heroes of Might n Magic.Age of Empires is usually my go to game in that genre ,been waiting a long time for a new one but i feel judging by now a day standards and seeing how Microsoft has been operating,i suspect that i won't see their best effort on a new AOE game.
    Its very different from HoMM and AoE
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 5,339
    edited June 16
    Civ on my friends Mac (early 90's) was the first video game that kept me up all night. I kept saying "Just one more turn!" :o

I've been searching for another game like that for a few years now, but haven't found one. The Europa Universalis series seems almost too in depth for me. Heck I lost Columbus in the tutorial because I sent him (unknowingly) to guard the Straights of Gibraltar where he died. Then when it came time to explore, he was nowhere to be found :lol:

I just picked up Stellaris (and the Mega Corp DLC) and Surviving Mars and hope these may get me hooked again.

I do still enjoy Master of Magic on occasion and will boot it up now and again :)
    Phaserlight

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 5,733
    edited June 16
    RimWorld. I'm not sure if it should be counted as a strategy game, but it's really addictive.
    Tillerblueturtle13AlBQuirky

• MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 3,176
    I was a strategy gamer before I was even an RPG player.  I probably started gaming in the early 1970s (that's A.D.) with SPI and Avalon hills.  I was introduced to 4x type games with board editions of Reach for the Stars, which I may still have around here somewhere.  It was my favorite game for a good while, until our collegiate gaming group stumbled on something called "D&D" and had a visit from some 'ambassadors' from a little place in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin in late 1975 (again, A.D.).

These days (also A.D., the things I have to spell out for this crowd), I spend more time with Strategy games.  I particularly like Hearts of Iron iII from Paradox, Civilization 5 (have 6, but like 5 better).  I'll still play Colonization (via DosBox, I hate the Colonization version made on the Civ 4 engine).  Also, MOM and MOO I via DosBox when the mood strikes.

ScotAlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 3,620
    Alpha Centauri. One of my all time favs
    SovrathAmatheblueturtle13AlBQuirkyArglebarglesumdumguy1kb4blu

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 5,527
    I also vouch for Sid Meir Alpha Centari.
    Sovrathblueturtle13AlBQuirkyArglebarglesumdumguy1kb4blu

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,784
    I love the Anno series. The newest 1800 is so good. 
    I have to third Alpha Centari to this day it holds up. 
    I also really enjoy Endless Legend and the 'Age of' series. 
    Hearts of Iron series is a fav of mine
    Xenonauts is a fun game as well and from what I have played of Xenonauts 2 it is even better. 

JeffSpicoliMendel

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Nelson-zbitNelson-zbit Newbie CommonPosts: 26
    Civilization series, HoMM series, a map of 4-6 can lasts for days to complete.
  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,043
    I don't know, pick your poison:

Age of Empires
    Command and Conquer
    Star / War craft
    Dawn of War
    Company of Heroes
    Homeworld
    Sins of a Solar Empire
    Civ-likes
    Endless series
    Heroes
    Age of Wonders
    Paradox Grand Strategy
    Total War(hammer)

I mean, that should be enough.
    MendelWaan
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 11,608
    To be honest I tend to use these threads to nab a couple for my wish list, got only one this time but still handy. :)

I think you covered my suggestions, but if anything pops up I forgot will drop it into this post.
    MendelRaidonn

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 824
    XCOM & XCOM 2 are pretty well rated, turn-based strategy games.

Good luck!

Gut Out!
    JeffSpicoliAlBQuirkyScotGorwePhaserlight

What, me worry?

• kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 5,070
    I put another vote in for X Com

Phaserlight

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,297
    Honestly, when WoW first game out, I was absolutely hooked.  Would even 'cough' skip work to go play.

Concentrate on enjoying yourself, and not on why I shouldn't enjoy myself.

• slowpoke68slowpoke68 Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Wow, amazed at all the responses and helpful suggestions friends.  Even though I don't post that often, have been part of this community since around 08 or so and never cease to be surprised.

I picked up Gal Civ 3 for 7.50 and Stellaris for 10 bucks at GoG, going to try them both out.  Also it hit me that I never played the Game of Thrones mod for CK2.

Some great recommendations in this thread.  Over the years I have tried and liked many of the games listed above including Alpha Centauri, Xcom 2, and one of the older Anno games.  When I give another Civ game a go I will probably do 5 over 6, as that is another person saying they like the older game better.

I've played games from lots of different genres since I first started PC gaming in 97 but MMO's have always been my first love.  There seems to be such a lack of mmos that I like right now that I have been checking a lot of other titles out.

Thanks again!
    AlBQuirky
  • NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,385
    Heroes of Might and Magic 2, 3 and even 4;
    Civilization 5 and 6;
    Settlers 5 (which is 2 gold if I remember correctly);
    Rise of Nations (I absolutely love this one, yet nobody talks about it);
    Universe at War (same thing as the above);

And I would include the simmulators for good measure:

Theme Hospital;
    Sim City 3000 (2000 too);
    Cities: Skylines

and, going against everyone and proudly saying that I really like:
    The Sims 3 and The Sims 4.

Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 9,724
    Starcraft 
    sumdumguy1
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,081
    Stellaris is my top pick
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • markost22markost22 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    edited July 4
    For me too is Starcraft, I was absolutely hooked.

TweakBox word counter Tutuapp
    Post edited by markost22 on
    Phaserlightsumdumguy1
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member UncommonPosts: 342
    A lot of the old games is addictive like age of empire, starcraft, and Warcraft 3 if you like RTS, for grand strategy pretty much all paradox games recently I've been replaying stellaris a lot way more than civ or galciv. if you like battle with good animations can't go wrong with total war games.