Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is NOT the Alterac Valley you are looking for...

Comments

• StizzledStizzled Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Psychos1s said:
    Siris23 said:
    Yep sorry guys, it's not true old school AV with NPCs and where fights could last days. It's already grindvalley, just slightly different.
    First time I'm doubting about Classic, this was a part I was expecting a LOT from, and they failed.
    It amazes me the number of "Vanilla Fanboys" that are just completely ignorant of WoW's patch history. As soon as they announced it was 1.12 I knew it it was going to be crap AV because it had been nerfed into the ground by then.

Did you even play Vanilla?
    They could easily leave out the various nerfs that AV received. It would have zero effect on any other part of the game.
    It wouldn't have any effect on how long AV lasts either. People would still just ignore everything other than the towers/bunkers and rush to kill the boss. It's how you win AV, people figured out that everything else was a waste of time.
    MisterZebub
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 12,794
    Gorwe said:
    Iselin said:
    TEKK3N said:
    Limnic said:
    TEKK3N said:

I can assure you that it wasn't a slow process, it was really sudden.
    Half way through WOTLK the gameplay completely changed to what is now, more or less.
    Of course it got worse with each expansion, but the real damage started back then.

I remember clearly as if it was yesterday the first time I run a dungeon as a healer (after few months break) and the tank started pulling 2-3 groups at once and I was like "WTF are you doing noob?".
    Little did I know that the WOW I've been playing just 3 months ago was gone forever.
    I don't exactly agree with this. The real downfall started with Cata and was hammered down with Pandaria. That's when the talent trees first became restricted, making hybrids impossible, and then removed to be replaced with the "click 5 buttons and be done" version.

Sure, the multi-server dungeon finder of the end of WotLK weren't a good thing (in my opinion), they were the beginning, but it still was a long process that took two expansions.
    I remember it well since that was the time when I was playing WoW a lot more than any other time before or since. Technically it was the last WotLK patch just before Cata that got that ball rolling.

The biggest shocker for me at that time was when the protection paladin's shield throw started out DPSing my ret build... like WTF? Why do I even bother to play the ret version?

Cata was a big turn off and the only reason I enjoyed Pandaria was because I really liked all 3 versions of the Monk.  
    What did you dislike so much about Cata?
    I didn't dislike it so much that it stopped me from playing but it turned me off for pretty well the same reason that Jean-Luc stated: it was the beginning of the overhaul of the talent trees into what they have become.

And the long range goals of that overhaul seemed to be to both make them require no thought and to homogenize the game play for all classes with any spec and make them all equally capable of solo play. Hence my protection Pally example where with shield throw AOE it became even more suitable than retribution for solo.

Funny thing is that by that time it was trivial to switch back and forth from 2 out of the 3 specs. All they really needed to have done if "anyone can solo efficiently" was what they wanted to accomplish was to just give you the missing 3rd spec as an option so you could play all 3 with one character instead of just 2 out of 3.

It's even sillier in the context of how other games (Rift and ESO for example) handle that by allowing you to change to any spec for your class that suits any given purpose easily, anywhere, any time you're out of combat.

They also nerfed Afflocks a bit with that patch and that pissed me off on a personal level since that was my main :)
    Jean-Luc_Picardbcbully
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,051
    edited June 15
    Iselin said:
    Gorwe said:
    Iselin said:
    TEKK3N said:
    Limnic said:
    TEKK3N said:

Half way through WOTLK the gameplay completely changed to what is now, more or less.
    Of course it got worse with each expansion, but the real damage started back then.

I remember clearly as if it was yesterday the first time I run a dungeon as a healer (after few months break) and the tank started pulling 2-3 groups at once and I was like "WTF are you doing noob?".
    Little did I know that the WOW I've been playing just 3 months ago was gone forever.
    I don't exactly agree with this. The real downfall started with Cata and was hammered down with Pandaria. That's when the talent trees first became restricted, making hybrids impossible, and then removed to be replaced with the "click 5 buttons and be done" version.

Sure, the multi-server dungeon finder of the end of WotLK weren't a good thing (in my opinion), they were the beginning, but it still was a long process that took two expansions.
    I remember it well since that was the time when I was playing WoW a lot more than any other time before or since. Technically it was the last WotLK patch just before Cata that got that ball rolling.

The biggest shocker for me at that time was when the protection paladin's shield throw started out DPSing my ret build... like WTF? Why do I even bother to play the ret version?

Cata was a big turn off and the only reason I enjoyed Pandaria was because I really liked all 3 versions of the Monk.  
    I didn't dislike it so much that it stopped me from playing but it turned me off for pretty well the same reason that Jean-Luc stated: it was the beginning of the overhaul of the talent trees into what they have become.

And the long range goals of that overhaul seemed to be to both make them require no thought and to homogenize the game play for all classes with any spec and make them all equally capable of solo play. Hence my protection Pally example where with shield throw AOE it became even more suitable than retribution for solo.

Funny thing is that by that time it was trivial to switch back and forth from 2 out of the 3 specs. All they really needed to have done if "anyone can solo efficiently" was what they wanted to accomplish was to just give you the missing 3rd spec as an option so you could play all 3 with one character instead of just 2 out of 3.

It's even sillier in the context of how other games (Rift and ESO for example) handle that by allowing you to change to any spec for your class that suits any given purpose easily, anywhere, any time you're out of combat.

They also nerfed Afflocks a bit with that patch and that pissed me off on a personal level since that was my main :)
    I can fully understand that the WoTLK era is or could be the objectively best one for WoW, but pre TBC vanilla? Where like 33% talent trees were meh? No, I do not let nostalgia cloud my mind like that. There were useless specs(or very niche: Shadow Priest, Afflock due to debuff limit, every Pala that isn't Holy etc) and the entire game was very...raw when compared to WoTLK.
    Gorwe said:
    Iselin said:
    Gorwe said:
    Iselin said:
    TEKK3N said:
    Limnic said:
    TEKK3N said:

I can fully understand that the WoTLK era is or could be the objectively best one for WoW, but pre TBC vanilla? Where like 33% talent trees were meh? No, I do not let nostalgia cloud my mind like that. There were useless specs(or very niche: Shadow Priest, Afflock due to debuff limit, every Pala that isn't Holy etc) and the entire game was very...raw when compared to WoTLK.
    I don't disagree. I'm curious and lukewarm about the upcoming "Classic" but if they were doing a WotLK "classic" instead, I'd be all over that.
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    Yep sorry guys, it's not true old school AV with NPCs and where fights could last days. It's already grindvalley, just slightly different.
    First time I'm doubting about Classic, this was a part I was expecting a LOT from, and they failed.
    I think the longest AV I ever did was 9 hours.  Most were about 3.  I never saw one last even half a day.  If AV is a rush fest I will be highly disappointed.  I did a lot of pvp in wow.  

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 6,434
    edited June 16
    Iselin said:
    Gorwe said:
    Iselin said:
    TEKK3N said:
    Limnic said:
    TEKK3N said:

Panda was the skill tree revamp, not cata. People pretty much hated cata cause it messed with raiding due to lfr implementation. Given that lfr and the skill tree revamp were due to the 'greatness' of Ghostcrawler, he'll remain the second most hated dev in wow history. I'm pretty sure Ion has the #1 spot on lockdown.
    Albatroes said:
    Iselin said:
    Gorwe said:
    Iselin said:
    TEKK3N said:
    Limnic said:
    TEKK3N said:

Panda was the skill tree revamp, not cata. People pretty much hated cata cause it messed with raiding due to lfr implementation. Given that lfr and the skill tree revamp were due to the 'greatness' of Ghostcrawler, he'll remain the second most hated dev in wow history. I'm pretty sure Ion has the #1 spot on lockdown.
    It started with Cata like Jean-Luc and I both said. Sure, Panda completed it but that silliness with protection pallys turning into AOE killing machines was in that last WotLK pre-cata patch a few weeks before the cata launch.
    TorvalJean-Luc_Picard
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,036
    Iselin said:

The lore and the landscape design in Pandaria were also top notch.
    I really enjoyed that expansion, even though I barely raided (or maybe because of that actually).
    Gameplay wise though it was the HUGE step back with the 5 clicks and be done talent trees.
    Torval
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

edited June 16
    Siris23 said:
    It amazes me the number of "Vanilla Fanboys" that are just completely ignorant of WoW's patch history. As soon as they announced it was 1.12 I knew it it was going to be crap AV because it had been nerfed into the ground by then.

Ah, a green poster starting his answer with an insult and some assumptions. Great.

Is that old enough for you ?

They can use 1.12 character development and still use older versions of the content. Hell, they are already adding raid content progressively.
    Torvalbcbully
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• UtinniUtinni Member RarePosts: 928
    Just got out of a 5 hour AV, there were longer ones already. Not sure why anyone would want a single battleground to last days but I thought 5 hours was more than enough for one battleground. If 5-10hour AV isn't classic enough for you then definitely give up all hope.
    SBFordJean-Luc_PicardKyleran
    Utinni said:
    Just got out of a 5 hour AV, there were longer ones already. Not sure why anyone would want a single battleground to last days but I thought 5 hours was more than enough for one battleground. If 5-10hour AV isn't classic enough for you then definitely give up all hope.
    The pre-1.8 AV experience was something unique, and yeah, I regret not being able to live it again. It's not just about the duration, but all the mechanics involved too.

Granted, the 1.12 one we got served is not as bad as the modern one, but still... thinking it could have been so much better makes me a bit sad.

• WhySoSeriousWhySoSerious Member UncommonPosts: 156
    I was never a big AV fan anyway. Actually, BG's are boring compared to world PvP. I'll do BG's to get my PvP rank, but my main fun will be looking for 1v1's out in the world.
  • RobokappRobokapp Member RarePosts: 6,064
    TEKK3N said:
    Limnic said:
    TEKK3N said:

People who loved vanilla loved TBC and WOTLK too...

Ehhhh.....That's a bit of a stretch.
    Not really.
    I read WOW forums, and most people consider the trinity (Vanilla, TBC, WOTLK) as the best versions of WoW.
    Sure some might prefer WOTLK rather than TBC or TBC instead of Vanilla.
    But if Blizzard had based Classic on a TBC or WOTLK I can assure that the majority of Vanilla fans would have jumped at the chance to play those expansions too.

I personally think that Classic should be Vanilla+TBC+WOTLK. Up until the first half of WOTLK the game still has a Vanilla feel, which is what I am looking for, I don't necessarily want to play only Vanilla.
    I just want to play the Vanilla Gameplay, that's why I am open to new content for Classic, and I am sure many players want the same.
    Wrath sucks! TBC was better.  I don't care what year we're in.

• Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 361
    Siris23 said:

Ah, a green poster starting his answer with an insult and some assumptions. Great.

They can use 1.12 character development and still use older versions of the content. Hell, they are already adding raid content progressively.
    They could have, but they specifically said they were implementing classic at 1.12 exactly as it was. Even the raids are going to be the 1.12 version with time gated access, not actual progression like vanilla.

You're literally complaining that Blizzard is doing what Blizzard said they were going to do.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 33,632
    edited June 16
    Siris23 said:
    Siris23 said:

They could have, but they specifically said they were implementing classic at 1.12 exactly as it was. Even the raids are going to be the 1.12 version with time gated access, not actual progression like vanilla.

You're literally complaining that Blizzard is doing what Blizzard said they were going to do.
    Proving once again the Blizzard dev lead who  once stated players only thought they wanted Classic WOW was more right than he was given credit for.

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Siris23 said:
    Siris23 said:

If we follow your logic, we should have access to naxxramas immediately after launch.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483
    Kyleran said:
    Siris23 said:
    Siris23 said:

Proving once again the Blizzard dev lead who  once stated players only thought they wanted Classic WOW was more right than he was given credit for.
    Not so sure AV is going to make or break Classic WoW.

Yes, PvP had high points in WoW in the past, but PvP was never the focus of the game, despite the name and setting.  PvE was always its focus.
    Kyleran

edited June 17
    Don't forget one very important thing guys... In this test, characters are locked at level 58 with rather crappy gear... Wait for when there will be 60 in raid gear, and you will see if its not a rush fest.
    MadFrenchie

• kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 5,077
    Kyleran said:
    Siris23 said:
    Siris23 said:

Not so sure AV is going to make or break Classic WoW.

Yes, PvP had high points in WoW in the past, but PvP was never the focus of the game, despite the name and setting.  PvE was always its focus.
    I wouldn't be too sure of that simply because the most popular private servers were PvP. The PvE ones were also converted to PvP see Light's Hope.
    bcbully

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 2,993
    How many times does Blizzard have to tell you that this is Wow patch 1.12?

This has been made clear months ago.

You stay sassy!

• AxxarAxxar Member UncommonPosts: 81
    I would also prefer the earlier version of AV. Not a deal breaker for me, though.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 5,729
    Even though the OP and I go at it often I feel bad because he was waiting for Classic WoW.  But for the rest of the game, it holds most true to Classic right ?

Alterac Valley is only a small percentage of the game.... Hows the rest ?
    Jean-Luc_Picard
    Even though the OP and I go at it often I feel bad because he was waiting for Classic WoW.  But for the rest of the game, it holds most true to Classic right ?

Alterac Valley is only a small percentage of the game.... Hows the rest ?
    A man able to be kind despite enmities is a man that earns a dose of respect with me :)

The rest is awesome, love it. It's really the vanilla spirit.
    Torval

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,043
    This is exactly the AV your looking for based on the build number they are launching with.  It's exactly the way AV was at that point in time, bugs and all.  This isnt day one Wow, your post makes no sense.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 6,931
    Iselin said:
    I don't remember AV like that. Is that a 1.0 AV you're talking about?

and:

-AV added to the game.

-The respawn time for tower guards (assuming the tower has not been destroyed) has been greatly increased.

-A great avalanche has closed off both the eastern and western segments of Alterac Valley. This has displaced the Syndicate Wildpaw Gnolls, and many of the Winterax Trolls.

-Due to the avalanche, Korrak the Bloodrager and a small band of surviving Trolls have made the Snowfall Graveyard their new home. Players will find that Snowfall is now under Korrak’s control and they must defeat Korrak and his Troll guards if they wish to take Snowfall.

-NPC difficulty has been scaled down. All NPCs have had their power reduced by 15-30%.

-Korrak the Bloodrager and his band of trolls have packed up their bags and left Alterac Valley for greener pastures.

-Most of the NPC guard units have been removed.

-Creatures that remain in Alterac Valley have had their hit points reduced.

wow Terrible decision by Blizzard. I wont be getting Classic WoW