Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is NOT the Alterac Valley you are looking for...

Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,003
Yep sorry guys, it's not true old school AV with NPCs and where fights could last days. It's already grindvalley, just slightly different.
First time I'm doubting about Classic, this was a part I was expecting a LOT from, and they failed.
"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

Viper482gervaise1KyleranPhryGdemamiblueturtle13Nephethkitaradtweedledumb99Rhoklawand 3 others.

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member EpicPosts: 2,473
    Sad news but I fully expect Blizzard to f*** this up.
    Palebane
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • TillerTiller Member EpicPosts: 7,639
    Nothing is ever what you remember it was when you experienced it the first time.
    SBFordTorval

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,003
    Tiller said:
    Nothing is ever what you remember it was when you experienced it the first time.
    I have very good memory though and this definitely wasn't it.
    laseritGdemamitweedledumb99
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 6,222
    edited June 14
    Yep sorry guys, it's not true old school AV with NPCs and where fights could last days. It's already grindvalley, just slightly different.
    First time I'm doubting about Classic, this was a part I was expecting a LOT from, and they failed.
    Someone under the main announcement thread said those AVs changed in 1.12(?) or something, so to be expected if true. I do remember the average AV would last 2-3 hours on a deadlock back in cata though, so if its below that then eh....
  • StizzledStizzled Member RarePosts: 1,920
    They've said repeatedly that everything will be the way it was in 1.12. Why do people keep expecting things to be any different? 

Private servers have used the same setup for years, hasn't hurt them at all.
    SBFord
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,003
    Albatroes said:
    Someone under the main announcement thread said those AVs changed in 1.12(?) or something, so to be expected if true. I do remember the average AV would last 2-3 hours on a deadlock back in cata though, so if its below that then eh....
    I personally was expecting AV to progress like raids will, AT LEAST !
    The first iteration of AV could last days. You had tons of NPCs over the place along with permanent PvP action, and you could complete quests that could turn the tide, like summoning massive allies.
    Sure, this still exists... but you don't have the time to summon anything anymore before one side rushed to the end.
    Scorchiennatpick

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 12,462
    I don't remember AV like that. Is that a 1.0 AV you're talking about?
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • TillerTiller Member EpicPosts: 7,639
    Tiller said:
    I have very good memory though and this definitely wasn't it.
    Yeah I was being slightly sarcastic as that is the typical argument thrown around in defense of not bringing back an old game. It's kind of like the SWG emu's, same game, but something isn't right about how it plays compared to what I remember on the live game back in the day.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 6,222
    Albatroes said:
    I personally was expecting AV to progress like raids will, AT LEAST !
    The first iteration of AV could last days. You had tons of NPCs over the place along with permanent PvP action, and you could complete quests that could turn the tide, like summoning massive allies.
    Sure, this still exists... but you don't have the time to summon anything anymore before one side rushed to the end.
    I think Blizzard as a whole is suffering from this motto that "each player is the game's hero." We know people dont have time to dedicate to games as they used to, but I think developers forget it should be about the game and not the player. There should be things that leave people behind so they actually understand that "Hey, I have to think differently when I do this or if I want to participate in this" or even go outside of their comfort zone and rely on people. The AV of the past (from anecdotal accounts of lasting days at least) sounded to me that it was about the faction and now about however many people participated in the fight for the duration, which is being held counter. Players are representatives as best, not focal points, so if some thing last longer than they personally have time for, too bad. That's pretty much how most games of this age used to run and should adhere to when you have something that is completely separate from something else you're trying to push (retail vs classic). Make classic unfair from all angles, not well it was harsh and some things should remain but others should be adjust because honestly that's preference as to what actually needed to be adjusted.
  • bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 274
    I do remember those earliest AV battles going on forever. I never managed to be in one when it was won, but the scope of it was a ton of fun. Once the two sides started running right past eachother in the middle just hoping to be the first side to kill the boss, it lost its luster pretty quick. I've read that Classic is WoW as it was in August 2016 with the last patch before Burning Crusade went live, so it makes sense that the battlegrounds would reflect that. And while they may be able to take the game back in time, they can't take the players back in time, so the experience will never truly be like it was back then.
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,122
    edited June 15
    The problem is that this is not early AV. This is version 1.12 of AV.  This is not the AV from pre-1.11   When they would last hours.   This is 1.12 after the 1.11 changes that changed creature health and removed a lot of the npcs and such.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/2952885503

Most people are thinking of 1.5 patch AV's where they could go day's without ending.  Sadly that was not the case in patch 1.12 the patch of Classic we are getting.
    ShaddyDaddyGorweJean-Luc_Picard
  • MisterZebubMisterZebub Member LegendaryPosts: 3,538
    edited June 15
    Iselin said:

and:

-AV added to the game.

-The respawn time for tower guards (assuming the tower has not been destroyed) has been greatly increased.

-A great avalanche has closed off both the eastern and western segments of Alterac Valley. This has displaced the Syndicate Wildpaw Gnolls, and many of the Winterax Trolls.

-Due to the avalanche, Korrak the Bloodrager and a small band of surviving Trolls have made the Snowfall Graveyard their new home. Players will find that Snowfall is now under Korrak’s control and they must defeat Korrak and his Troll guards if they wish to take Snowfall.

-NPC difficulty has been scaled down. All NPCs have had their power reduced by 15-30%.

-Korrak the Bloodrager and his band of trolls have packed up their bags and left Alterac Valley for greener pastures.

-Most of the NPC guard units have been removed.

-Creatures that remain in Alterac Valley have had their hit points reduced.

IselinPhryGorweTorvalMMOExposed

"You can go to land of make believe and you can pretend
    But in the end you still have no friends"

• WingclipWingclip Member UncommonPosts: 49
    i agree with OP, AV was a long drawn out battle in classic that lasted hours and took strategy to win. If this is lost this is not classic WoW.
    SBFordHermod
  • RobokappRobokapp Member RarePosts: 6,026
    when wll PVPers realzie nobody cares about them in WoW? There's PVP games out there. this isnt it
    SBFordPalebane

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 12,462
    Iselin said:

and:

-AV added to the game.

-The respawn time for tower guards (assuming the tower has not been destroyed) has been greatly increased.

-A great avalanche has closed off both the eastern and western segments of Alterac Valley. This has displaced the Syndicate Wildpaw Gnolls, and many of the Winterax Trolls.

-Due to the avalanche, Korrak the Bloodrager and a small band of surviving Trolls have made the Snowfall Graveyard their new home. Players will find that Snowfall is now under Korrak’s control and they must defeat Korrak and his Troll guards if they wish to take Snowfall.

-NPC difficulty has been scaled down. All NPCs have had their power reduced by 15-30%.

-Korrak the Bloodrager and his band of trolls have packed up their bags and left Alterac Valley for greener pastures.

-Most of the NPC guard units have been removed.

-Creatures that remain in Alterac Valley have had their hit points reduced.

Hmm, I guess I missed that early one altogether while I slowly leveled doing just PvE. By the time I got there it was just slightly bigger than normal scenario PvP quickie match. That must have been post 1.11 going by your patch list.

Too bad. That early version sounds more like my speed - I like long PvP fights and have never been a fan of the short ones.
    MisterZebubbcbullyPalebane
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member EpicPosts: 2,547
    Bye Classic!

Sincerely, a huge oldschool AV fan.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    MisterZebubDrunkWolf
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 5,954
    edited June 15
    Wingclip said:
    i agree with OP, AV was a long drawn out battle in classic that lasted hours and took strategy to win. If this is lost this is not classic WoW.
    But it is! Classic 1.12 WoW. It's not 1.0 though. They never said or even implied it'd be 1.0, they've been very explicit about it being 1.12 Vanilla WoW.
    SBFord
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member EpicPosts: 2,547
    Gorwe said:
    Wingclip said:
    But it is! Classic 1.12 WoW. It's not 1.0 though. They never said or even implied it'd be 1.0, they've been very explicit about it being 1.12 Vanilla WoW.
    And thats one of the big problems. Classic WoW is a long period of time with many changes and many versions. We all like and love different versions of Classic, Blizz will deliver only one of those.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    SBFordWaanPalebane
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 193
    could someone reminder OP we are on 1.12 patch? He is like "oh god I don't remember it being like this" but reality is he just doesn't know....he is like Scotty from very old comedy Eurotrip when they sing that song about him "Scotty doesn't know" :D
    SBFord
  • coretex666coretex666 Member EpicPosts: 3,616
    I liked the early iteration of AV as well, but the lack thereof will not be a deal breaker for me. I am still looking forward to classic.
    SBFord
  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 5,954
    lahnmir said:
    Gorwe said:
    Wingclip said:
    And thats one of the big problems. Classic WoW is a long period of time with many changes and many versions. We all like and love different versions of Classic, Blizz will deliver only one of those.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Indeed. Hence the reminder to OP that the "memory is fallible". It distorts stuff, retains only highs and lows and sometimes deletes the flat in the middle altogether(or "extraneous details" but those details aren't extr. to everyone).

What they have promised, they seem to be delivering. Vanilla 1.12 WoW.
    SBFord
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 888
    Tiller said:
    CoH maintained it's integrity pretty well for me XD.
    MadFrenchie
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,780
    I think the confusion is caused by the fact that Nostalrius (and other servers) were using pre-1.12 AV in the game; however, this was not historically accurate in terms of patch progression.
    SBFord
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 596
    edited June 15
    Why are people complaining?

Blizzard is doing exactly what people wanted.
    They started with patch 1.12 and they will update the game exactly as it happened 14 years ago up until Naxxramas.

AV 1.12 was updated from the previous version, so they are just following the original roadmap.

I personally believe that Blizzard should have taken the best features of Vanilla and put a different game together.
    In fact I would not mind them developing new content after the TBC and WOTLK expansions will be deployed.
    People who loved vanilla loved TBC and WOTLK too, so a progressive server is the next step.
    After that, why not adding new content keeping the same Vanilla architecture?

Classic shouldn't be just a museum for the nostalgic, it should be a full fledged Retail competitor IMO.
    KyleranPhoebes
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,780
    the problem with TBC and WotLK is that each expansion nullified older content, and this is not a good thing.
    GorweaRtFuLThinGacidblood