Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about parenting and video games

2»

Comments

• lahnmirlahnmir Member EpicPosts: 2,830
    AlBQuirky said:
    Amathe said:
    AlBQuirky said:

Unfortunately, children don't come with a nice, neat manual. 
    Closest thing is the complete collection of Calvin & Hobbes.
    I HAVE that!
    Me too! The box to be precise. Beautiful stuff! The last one, with Calvin just seeing a stuffed animal because he was getting older actually brought tears to my eyes the first time I read it.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    AlBQuirky
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,185
    edited June 15
    Arterius said:

So after all this here is my question. What age did you guys allow your kids to play video games? How young is to young? At what age am I just a bad parent for letting her play Mario on her own?  I know she won't be able to do it when she turns 1 but I am curious what the answer is.

You are asking the wrong questions. Games (of which video games are a subset) are tools that humans have evolved to help both physical and cognitive learning. You should be asking how you can help your child develop so that they may start using these tools, and how you can find the tools that she can use as early as possible.

There are some physical development issues for video games (for example screen time for children under 18 months can hinder/delay development of 3d image recognition brain development) as well mental development issues (for example the challenge level of games chosen may result in a negative experience) that have to be considered. However, that does not mean that you can not involve the child in the video game experience in a social manner (and there enjoyment of spending time with you while you play these games is a good positive here) by asking for their input, and allowing them to make meaningful decisions as part of the process (i.e. which game should I play? which way should I go? etc).

You can also look at other games as a way to help develop your child for the challenges that video games will present (usually in a more condensed fashion). This will often help you to understand what type of games they will actually enjoy, and be able to accomplish before you present the challenge to them. It is a parents job to help develop the learning process so that the children can move forward on their own with diminishing reliance on the parent going forward (i.e. dont give them a solution, teach them how to find them).
    Post edited by Superman0X on
    GdemamiArterius