Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you murdered another player in a MMORPG?

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 2,689
    Down you go in the Rabbit hole. 

You can blow a kiss in MMORPGs to any other player. If you were up to create a thread regarding that then you would have probably asked: Have you sexually assaulted another player in a MMORPG? 

;)
    bcbullyKyleranGdemamialkarionlog
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    • Song of the Week: Blackfield by Blackfield from Blackfield (2005)
    • Currently Playing: Devil May Cry 1
    • Favorite Drink: Bruichladdich Black Art 5th 1992
    • Gaming Timeline: Arcade, Commodore 64, Amiga 500, SEGA, IBM, PS, PC, PS2, More PCs, PS3, Giant PC, PS4, No More PCs, PS4 Pro.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 12,462

You can blow a kiss in MMORPGs to any other player. If you were up to create a thread regarding that then you would have probably asked: Have you sexually assaulted another player in a MMORPG? 

;)
    Teabaggers are the lowest of the low... both in games and politically :)
    ConstantineMerusKyleran
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 711
    If by murder, you mean running over a hooker to get some of my money back in Grand Theft Auto, then yes.

Gut Out!
    KyleranConstantineMerus

What, me worry?

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 3,817

;)
    Does that even count in real life?  I would say if you could and did have sexual intercourse in a game without concent it would be rape in the game.  Lol, weirdness with sexuality and humans is not deeper down the rabbit hole.  It is a whole other hole.  
    ConstantineMerus
  • bcbullybcbully Member RarePosts: 9,650
    I never have, but did have a character killed pretty savagely in UO way back when, on what I thought was a PvE server where you had to opt into PvP so far as I understood.

Apparently, for some reason, joining a guild made me subject to being PvPed by other members of that guild. When one of the other members and I were away from the others he mercilessly killed me over and over until someone nearby told me leaving the guild would prevent further deaths.

That was a bit costly for my character, and brought a good deal of glee to my betrayer as he happily informed me while mocking my paltry gear save for the one good piece I had he was looking forward to profiting on. I left the game after that as I had intention of trying to earn back what was taken. That wasn't the experience I thought I was signing up for.

Anyway, it taught me to be much more careful in choosing future games, especially regarding what type of PvP they had and if one could be forced into it in some way by another, so that I could avoid a repeat situation, or at least make an informed decision to opt into it.
    Wow, that was awhile back. It doesn’t work like that anymore..

i never played UO, but I see the trauma was very real for some. I wonder if it was because of first experiences, and possibly being much younger. 
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,003
    edited June 18
    AlBQuirky said:
    Viper482 said:
    Oh come on, it is pretty clear what the topic is, why the drama over semantics?
    Calling a playerkill a "murder" is like calling consensual sex with your romantic interest "rape".

Its simply a disturbing choice of words.
    Very bad analogy.
    The player controlling the murdered character is not consenting to be killed and body camped and having his enjoyment of the game ruined by some other player "roleplaying" a psycho.
    Well, many say that simply logging into a FFA PvP game is "consent." They kind of have a point. That's why I avoid them :)
    Agreed, and pretty much why they all fail into survival mode too, except those which do not allow that behavior or severely punish it like EvE.

The biggest problem of all PvP MMORPGs are the psychos. They take over the game if you let them just a hint of leniency, and turn it into a gankfest nobody else wants to play.
    The problem is you can't force a specific subset of the player base to act intelligently, the only solution is to force them into moderation with punishing rules.
    UngoodSovrathIselinAlBQuirkyKyleranGdemami
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 26,534
    Lol people are always interesting. Never thought I would get reactions to a word like murder in a genre literally 90% of gameplay is killing.  
    Except you aren't killing just like playing Dodgeball isn't assault.

ConstantineMerus

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member RarePosts: 5,151

;)
    In today's overly sensitive world, you bet there is a difference, solely based on the recipient's mental state (or lack thereof) :)
    ConstantineMerus

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,003
    AlBQuirky said:

;)
    In today's overly sensitive world, you bet there is a difference, solely based on the recipient's mental state (or lack thereof) :)
    The only problem with that reasoning is that I don't know a MMORPG yet where blowing a kiss will make the recipient was resurrection debuff, gold, and time, or just make the opponent completely unable to play at all like corpse/graveyard camping does.
    AlBQuirkyGdemamibcbully
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 888
    Sovrath said:
    Lol people are always interesting. Never thought I would get reactions to a word like murder in a genre literally 90% of gameplay is killing.  

We actually played "murderball" at my highschool.

It was like dodgeball, but it was played on a cement patio, teams could free-roam the whole field, and grappling/tackling was allowed.

Needless to say, concussions were involved.
    SovrathVermillion_RaventhalbcbullyConstantineMerus
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,682
    Limnic said:
    Sovrath said:

We actually played "murderball" at my highschool.

It was like dodgeball, but it was played on a cement patio, teams could free-roam the whole field, and grappling/tackling was allowed.

Needless to say, concussions were involved.
    When i was kid , we used to squirt lighter fluid all over a Tennis ball and light it up , and play tag with it at nite , there was never any denying if you got it ...

The balls only lasted so  long .. and you had to throw quickly which was really fun game
    ConstantineMerus
    edited June 18
    Sovrath said:

Lol, never knew dodgeball was a roleplaying game or involved assault.  MMORPG involve virtual killing of virtual characters and lots of jt. Do you deny they even kill in games now lol.  Not sure what your point is. 

If you accept there is killing then you have to accept there can be different types of killing... murder or self defense.  

I can tell you never read quest that involve killing.

Did you manage to message Bethesda and Zenimax for the use of the word murder in ESO?  I work a few miles from them.  I could hold a sign out in front for a few minutes if you make it.

Scales of Pitiless Justice – Bounty and Heat resulting from a witnessed Murder or Assault is reduced by 20%.  Oh no murder and assault of NPCs no less.  
  • UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 2,636
    Sovrath said:

Lol, never knew dodgeball was a roleplaying game or involved assault.   
    Well.. if you played Dodge Ball in my high school, yo would know it involved assault, we would cheer each other on with how hard we could hit each other, and a head shot that spun the other person around before they fell over, got everyone cheering...

How the hell my generation survived.. I am not sure.. but here we are.. still kicking I guess.
    bcbullyKyleranAlBQuirky
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,797
    Those rubber balls may not have concussed people, but it sure AF sounded like it.

BLOINK!!!

:D 
    AlBQuirky
    Raging Demons for all flowchart "Kens". This is a metaphor.
    Ungood said:
    Sovrath said:

Well.. if you played Dodge Ball in my high school, yo would know it involved assault, we would cheer each other on with how hard we could hit each other, and a head shot that spun the other person around before they fell over, got everyone cheering...

How the hell my generation survived.. I am not sure.. but here we are.. still kicking I guess.
    My childhood gym class cruelty moment was in second grade someone fast pitched the kickball to the little person who was barely bigger than the ball.  
  • BaalzharonBaalzharon Member UncommonPosts: 346
    I think all sports need to be removed from school. There are many people who can't play soccer or basketball or football or any number of sports. This makes the "haves" and "have nots", and creates bullying and popularity contests.

Someone forced to run can cause many issues, especially health wise. Like if have to run a mile or a marathon many people have asthma or any number of things that can make that a problem. Then they have to sit on the side and be bullied (laughed at) by the other kids.

I think all athletic sports need to be removed from schools, and remove anything that creates popularity (again haves/have nots). This would help stop a lot of the bullying and make people be friends with more people. Its not a 100% solution but goes a lot of the way there.
    GdemamiConstantineMerusMontyBrewsterbcbullyFlyByKnight
  • bcbullybcbully Member RarePosts: 9,650
    Ungood said:
    Sovrath said:

My childhood gym class cruelty moment was in second grade someone fast pitched the kickball to the little person who was barely bigger than the ball.  
    Wait you see, dodge ball wasn’t cruelty. It was a just a game. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 32,968
    edited June 19
    I think all sports need to be removed from school. There are many people who can't play soccer or basketball or football or any number of sports. This makes the "haves" and "have nots", and creates bullying and popularity contests.

Someone forced to run can cause many issues, especially health wise. Like if have to run a mile or a marathon many people have asthma or any number of things that can make that a problem. Then they have to sit on the side and be bullied (laughed at) by the other kids.

I think all athletic sports need to be removed from schools, and remove anything that creates popularity (again haves/have nots). This would help stop a lot of the bullying and make people be friends with more people. Its not a 100% solution but goes a lot of the way there.
    I think it might be less challenging to try to eliminate world hunger vs changing the many ways people behave badly towards others who are not members of their clique or social group.

Seems to be some sort of throwback survival behavior wired into us from thousands of years competing for scarce resources which of course still continues to this day.

If one is not like us they must be mocked and driven out into the wilderness, or so it seems.

AlBQuirky

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member RarePosts: 5,151
    Ungood said:
    That's easy! Your generation (and mine) developed the skills needed to live and survive, not to wither in a world full of "safe places" as these later generations are now taught.
    KyleranbcbullyScorchien

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• MontyBrewsterMontyBrewster Member EpicPosts: 2,675
    edited June 19

Agreed as someone who always dreamed of being a Rockstar in highschool I was envious of the kids in Band class who could really jam. The fucking PRIVILEGE on those cunts born with natural music ability having a outlet to develop and hone their skills and someday make a career out of something they love !

Fuck your athletic scholarship, No education for you! 

Gaming should be your therapy, Not your reason for seeking Therapy
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 2,689
    AlBQuirky said:
    Ungood said:
    That's easy! Your generation (and mine) developed the skills needed to live and survive, not to wither in a world full of "safe places" as these later generations are now taught.
    From the age of 6 to 9, we lived in a cool neighborhood with so many great traditions. One of them was called Stone Wars which was a daily activity and we only aimed for heads. I had so many bumps that my father used to use my head to stonewash his jeans. 
    KyleranAlBQuirky
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    • Song of the Week: Blackfield by Blackfield from Blackfield (2005)
    • Currently Playing: Devil May Cry 1
    • Favorite Drink: Bruichladdich Black Art 5th 1992
    • Gaming Timeline: Arcade, Commodore 64, Amiga 500, SEGA, IBM, PS, PC, PS2, More PCs, PS3, Giant PC, PS4, No More PCs, PS4 Pro.
    Sovrath said:

Lol, never knew dodgeball was a roleplaying game or involved assault.  MMORPG involve virtual killing of virtual characters and lots of jt. Do you deny they even kill in games now lol.  Not sure what your point is. 

If you accept there is killing then you have to accept there can be different types of killing... murder or self defense.  

Did you manage to message Bethesda and Zenimax for the use of the word murder in ESO?  I work a few miles from them.  I could hold a sign out in front for a few minutes if you make it.

Scales of Pitiless Justice – Bounty and Heat resulting from a witnessed Murder or Assault is reduced by 20%.  Oh no murder and assault of NPCs no less.  
    Maybe you're just a bit too sensitive to be playing these games.

Kyleran

Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:

Maybe you're just a bit too sensitive to be playing these games.

Lol says the guy who thinks the word murder when describing a virtual murder is loaded. 

Honestly, I probably don't have enough emotion when it comes to these games.  
    Gdemami
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member RarePosts: 2,432
    Sovrath said:

yes you are not killing, but you say kill 10 rats, I killed that boss, and I need to kill 100 mobs till the next lvl

again I ask how the hell you guys function on real world if a word is too hard?
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    Sovrath said:

yes you are not killing, but you say kill 10 rats, I killed that boss, and I need to kill 100 mobs till the next lvl

again I ask how the hell you guys function on real world if a word is too hard?
    We function because we know it's a game, we know we aren't really "killing anything" and we are smart enough to pick up on someone's "ulterior motive" when they used the word "murder" which is rarely used in a game sense when dealing with other players.
    ConstantineMerusalkarionlogbcbullyGdemamiAlBQuirky