Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If old school MMOs were better....why aren't they still the most popular?

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 35,413
    Narug said:
    I hate to sound like a recycler but the players playing those were younger back then.

Those players are older now, have kids, have jobs.

Edited for spelling
    Yes they were, I was 43 or so. I'm older now and have more time to play than ever before.

Your argument is irrelevant, what is true is the younger gamers seem to prefer other genres....so do some older gamers as well. 

Back to POE.

;)

vandal5627GdemamiBaalzharonViper482

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 5,869
    Narug said:
    I hate to sound like a recycler but the players playing those were younger back then.
    Not necessarily. I was 38 with a family and job back in 2001 when I started with EQ. I was not alone in my age group, but the majority of players, I agree, were younger. Now, I'm retired and have much more time on my hands :)
    NanfoodleGdemamiKyleranAmatheTorval

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 9,984
    Damn y’all make me feel like the younger crowd. Thanks fellas!
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,088
    edited July 2019
    AlBQuirky said:
    Narug said:
    Not necessarily. I was 38 with a family and job back in 2001 when I started with EQ. I was not alone in my age group, but the majority of players, I agree, were younger. Now, I'm retired and have much more time on my hands :)
    That remind me some uncle in my guild , they were 40+ around 2004 . Those guy were more hardcore and heavy cash trader aka RMT . They have to buy a lots gold and item to keep the guild up without get out run by other guilds .
    In the server , most of top people were older one too . They have time any money to spend .
    Basically being old , had family and kids wasn't the main problem . At lease 15 years ago .

I have to say that early MMORPG are shady as **** . There are many stuff that normal player never know about . But that's what made them real and worth inverst in .

If there are any MMORPG that like old MMORPG , i think it was Archeage . But lately LXgame seem go way
    Gdemami
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Viper482 said:
    psiic said:
    Umm just to point out that MANY of the older MMOS still have thousands of players.  While most are no longer publishing player numbers a little research into investor reports can show that games like Anarchy Online and Everquest still have thousands and thousands of subscribers. 

As for the people you speak of playing those older MMO's that are still around....the question was never meant for them in the first place. I wanted to ask the guy playing Guild Wars 2 talking how Daoc was the best MMO ever made.....well why aren't you still playing it then? Simple as that really. Because I AM that guy.
    There are fun games.  But the fun only last a few month till you get bored.

Many old games just don't have frequent enough update/events to keep people playing for very long.

And new players always chasing the newest or most popular things, so those old games lack new blood to fill the people leaving.
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited July 2019
    The average joe gamer today doesn't have the mentality of a MMO player from back in the day, which focus on socialization and long term goals. They just want to join a online game and have a blast right from the start. Hence the succes of battle royale, when you have large map, lots of people, loot mechanics and instand gratification.
    AlBQuirkyViper482
  • CS1310CS1310 Member UncommonPosts: 6
    I loved warhammer online, but it died so quickly.
    Viper482Agent_Joseph
  • cheyanecheyane Member EpicPosts: 6,718
    Kyleran said:
    Narug said:

Edited for spelling
    Yes they were, I was 43 or so. I'm older now and have more time to play than ever before.

Your argument is irrelevant, what is true is the younger gamers seem to prefer other genres....so do some older gamers as well. 

Back to POE.

;)

Ky you started playing Path of Exile relatively recently right? I mean you never played it before this, if I am not mistaken. I loved it and had lots of builds and enjoyed it thoroughly. Great days ahead for you.
  • agamennagamenn Member UncommonPosts: 67
    Maybe because no one today is making a new old school mmo ?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 35,413
    edited July 2019
    cheyane said:
    Kyleran said:
    Narug said:

Edited for spelling

Back to POE.

;)

Ky you started playing Path of Exile relatively recently right? I mean you never played it before this, if I am not mistaken. I loved it and had lots of builds and enjoyed it thoroughly. Great days ahead for you.
    Yep, only started in March, amazing amount of depth to POE, far beyond the simple storyline missions it first tosses at you.

Currently playing a Champ Impale Cyclone and Baron (Strength) Necro builds, both being so very different from my initial Champ Totem Warchief. 

Good times still ahead

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• XareticXaretic Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Old School MMORPG's are still the most popular.
    WOW - Millions of players
    Final Fantasy XIV - Millions of players

Both of the number one MMO's are old school tab targeting sword and board with holy trinity.

• kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 5,524
    Kyleran said:
    cheyane said:
    Kyleran said:
    Narug said:

Edited for spelling

Back to POE.

;)

Yep, only started in March, amazing amount of depth to POE, far beyond the simple storyline missions it first tosses at you.

Currently playing a Champ Impale Cyclone and Baron (Strength) Necro builds, both being so very different from my initial Champ Totem Warchief. 

Good times still ahead

Yeah when you first start because of the shabby way it begins, you don't actually see the potential of the game. It has amazing depth and once you actually understand all the possibilities as you watch some videos and people talk about their builds and what mechanics, buffs or equipment they use and the reasons for those combinations it opens up such a plethora of ideas that could be viable. Truly a diamond in the rough.
    Kyleran

• ultimateduckultimateduck Member RarePosts: 703
    Xaretic said:

Both of the number one MMO's are old school tab targeting sword and board with holy trinity.

I don't really consider WoW or FFXIV "old school" MMOs. They may be aging, but they aren't old school.
    AmathekitaradKyleranAlBQuirky
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited July 2019
    Xaretic said:

They are not old school, they are pretty much themepark, linear quest-driven MMOs. Both WoW and FFXIV have been declining in popularity, to the point that neither of them appear in the top 10 games by online revenue in recent months, as of may.

It just shows the average joe gamer is leaving MMOs and joining other games that provide a more intant sense of gratification. They lack the long term goal, social mindset needed for old school MMOs, and they will not come back.

Surprisingly, Fantasy Westward Journey Online 2 is the only MMO in the PC list, a very casual themepark MMO that is super popular in China.
    Post edited by Kabulozo on
    IselinVengeSunsoar
    Old school kind of imply things which are no longer popular.  Wow, FFXIV are still kind of popular...  

There have been many low budget, unpolished mmorpg released over the years.  People don't play them...  If it have been more popular, we might see larger budget old school MMO.

Gdemami
    AAAMEOW said:
    Old school kind of imply things which are no longer popular.  Wow, FFXIV are still kind of popular...  

There have been many low budget, unpolished mmorpg released over the years.  People don't play them...  If it have been more popular, we might see larger budget old school MMO.

But there is no new MMOs from big companies though
    agamenn said:
    AAAMEOW said:

But there is no new MMOs from big companies though
    Don't think it matters.  There are already enough generic themepark mmo out there.  No point making another one.

Not to mention even if they make one, people just complain how crappy they are like new world, or how pay to win they are like archeage.
    AlBQuirky
  • Viper482Viper482 Member EpicPosts: 2,925
    agamenn said:
    Maybe because no one today is making a new old school mmo ?

Irrelevant, this has nothing to do with the style of game, talking about literal old school MMOs late 90's early 2000's. The most beloved old school MMORPGs still exist in one form or another.
    Gdemami
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    If there's an American Gods Season 3, Nostalgia should be one of the most powerful Gods (and one of the bad guys). What a liar.  :D
    AlBQuirkyultimateduck
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member RarePosts: 703
    If the population of DAoC suddenly increased to 10,000+ active players, I would still play it. Same goes for or SWG (original version) if they brought it back.

Viper482
    'Same goes for or SWG (original version) if they brought it back.'

Disney would never allow it :P
  • MrYukuzMrYukuz Member CommonPosts: 2
    edited July 2019
    Warum sind die alten Spiele noch so aktiv mit so vielen Spielern?
    na weil man da noch an seinem Charakter arbeitet muss um sie zu verbessern usw.
    Bei den neuen Spielen, war es nicht schlecht, wenn Sie sich nicht mehr bewegen: D
    Aber mal ernsthaft in den neuen Spielen ist man spätestens nach 3-5 Monaten doch max. Level und dann ... neues Spiel, weil es zu langweilig ist und den gleichen Müll dann wieder und wieder zu machen, weil die heutigen Spieler keine Geduld und Ausdauer haben (na ich gehöre nicht zu der Fraktion die "erster Ruft") und nach schnellem Level schreien (wie neu Spieler mit Level 3 nach einer Gilde / Clan rufen und noch gar nicht wissen ob das Spiel überhaupt was für sie ist).
    In neuen Spielen hat man schnell Langeweile und deshalb gehen die meisten zu den alten Titeln wo man länger drin ist, kann man sich mit Freunden und lieben gewonnenen Feinden aufhalten.
    Auch in den neueren Spielen wird so gut wie nichts für den Gilden / Clan getan, ich hoffe, dass das in der Zukunft geändert wird, schnell kann ihr Bett sein B)
    Ich spiele MMORPGs mit Freunden oder gleich gesinnten Zielen und Erfolgen ansonsten könnte ich auch Brettspiele spielen;)  
    Post edited by MrYukuz on
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 1,792
    Weird that the same people who judge a game by its revenue want games that don't have cash shops.
    AlBQuirky
  • lindhskylindhsky Member UncommonPosts: 161
    edited July 2019
    I believe that many think that old school MMORPGs were better because it was our first love when it comes to these types of games. We have so many good memories. When I tried to come back to DAOC and other games that I have considered the best games it is not the same. Even when I tried it just 6 months after I quit the first time. Why? Well, we tend to remember the good things about the game and forget the bad such as balance-issues, buff-bots and so on. But what I missed the most when I came  back to these favourite games were the community. Back in the days you knew who was the best on the server, you knew who you hated, who was the best leader, who was the best crafter etc. When you came back most oldies have quit playing so even if the game was still fun it was not the same. 

New games want to give us the luxuary in all areas so they make big servers or cluster together servers so that we can get pvp and pve when we want without having to wait. That way you play with different people all the time, you have no clue who is the best in any area and people often tend to act like idiots because they know they don't have to think about what people think about them. All people should be able to craft the best stuff easily, all people should be able to get the best gear easily. 

In old games if an idiot was an idiot all on the server knew about it and it got consequences. When I went back to WOW a couple of years ago I was almost shocked how people behaved in instances. They wanted to kick some player because he was doing bad damage, they wanted to kick a healer because the tank died etc. And you never played with the same people unless you played with friends, so no one had to think about how they behaved.

To be "famous" in the game for what you are good at you need to have a youtube-account and post stuff there. Back in the days killspam in the game made people go "WOW!" and they remembered the name. And of course already back then people used forums (VNBoards etc) and people could get famous that way as well but if they sucked in the game people were fast to tell that in the forums. You played with the same people against the same people day in an day out. 

So I think that is the biggest reason for me old games were better. Still you won't go back to them because it was not neccessary the game that was superfun, it was the community. And when the old community was gone, so was the game. 
    ultimateduck
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 11,963
    Utinni said:
    Weird that the same people who judge a game by its revenue want games that don't have cash shops.
    ...what people?

Regardless, former is an act of reason, the latter is an act of personal preference.

You're right, rational thinking is uncommon sight on these boards, thus distinguishing between those two makes it indeed weird.
    Viper482