Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Were Pre-WoW MMOs DIfferent?

124»

Comments

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member UncommonPosts: 1,127
    I think the most obvious is they are actually successful(at least for a few years) and have a decent population.

Right now most of the successful and large budget game are generic themepark games.  The games which try to be different dont' have much population.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    I think not just the social aspect of the old MMOs was different, the more glaring difference was the commerce aspect of older MMOs.

In older MMOs player makes items and player runs vendors and in player-made cities to sell them also. A lot more contents was allowed to be player-made to faciliate ingame economics.

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member UncommonPosts: 1,127
    edited June 17

In older MMOs player makes items and player runs vendors and in player-made cities to sell them also. A lot more contents was allowed to be player-made to faciliate ingame economics.

I'm sure there are games like that "today", just it isn't popular.  Which is why I say the real difference is they are successful(have decent population) before.  Either because they have relatively better budget before or lesser competition.  

You hear comments like "I tried to went back to some game, but it is different because there is no longer a population".
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 2,994
    edited June 17
    TEKK3N said:

AC was similar to EQ but had its own charm

AC was nothing like EQ actually, other then being of the same era.

You slaughtered entire dungeons solo in AC, taking on dozens of mobs yourself often. The world was zoneless for the most part.

The charm of AC was that it was a very different game from EQ and UO.

If someone hasn't already pointed this out: One MAJOR difference between pre and post-Wow era was that nearly every mmorpg of that age were extremely different than each other. 

As soon as one took off and crossed over into mainstream ... the world became overtaken by clones. Mmorpgs attempted to be RPG world simulators, some literally just single player RPGs turned massively multiplayer. When the RPG was taken out, the genre lost any purpose to exist and became something entirely else.

AlBQuirkyDrunkWolf

You stay sassy!

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 2,936
    AlBQuirky said:
    Limnic said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Limnic said:
    So it's a repetitious reflex/twitch skill.
    If it's repetitious, how can it be reflexive?
    It's not going to become reflexive if it's not repeated often enough to become a reflex as opposed to a conscious reaction.

So they kinda go hand in hand.
    Ah. I was thinking along the lines of quicktime events (QTE), where reactions were timed to different stimuli, different from each other.
    Twitch skills do not go hand in hand with repetition per se, nor are they merely a representation of reaction time.  There is actually quite a lot of conscious thought and strategy involved in twitch games.

I would offer a third definition: having good spatial awareness and forethought.
    AlBQuirky

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 4 tracks in Distance