Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The $35,000+ Apple Mac Pro

13»

Comments

• RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 7,138
    Rhoklaw said:
    Phry said:
    Hashbrick said:
    Phry said:
    Just goes to show that the saying about Mac's is true, half the power at twice the price, i think Apples main focus these days is really mobile devices, the Desktops/Laptops are more of an 'afterthought' that they stopped investing resources into years ago, the times when you could really consider Mac's for gaming purposes, or even CAD by the sound of things are long in the past. :/
    They are going after the video/film/photo editing/3d rendering industry.  They always have, it never really was a consumer made product except way back when they wanted to compete with Microsoft.  It's built for professionals and students in semi rich life styles.
    That may have been the case in the past, but Mac's are pretty much outdated, you can get same or better performance for less $$ not that systems built for video editing etc. are all that cheap to begin with. ;)
    I second this. As a person who floats around these circles these days... no TF they're not targeting xyz industry. Apple is targeting wealthy posers as per what they've been doing for several years now in the desktop/laptop market.

The whole "video/film/photo editing/3D rendering" industry, excuse died long ago.

Guys care about rendering times, live previews, zoom speed, high DPI project performance, and color accuracy. Apple does not have the market cornered in any aspect as it pertains to performance.

Apples strong points were the small learning curve +reliable OS, and pleasing minimalist aesthetics. Once they went full Hammacher Schlemmer/Rob Report on the very people who gave the brand it's "coolness" their usefulness vanished. Function over form was back in play.

Even Huawei was starting to kick Apples ass on the mobile hardware quality/price front until Agent Orange went all tertiary syphilis with the trade/tariff wars.
    Tertiary syphilis? I understand why people don't like the guy, but in all seriousness, China's been duping the U.S. for decades in trade deals, so please, keep your CNN rhetoric to yourself.
    There's no CNN rhetoric you f@#$ing clown. It pertained to Apple and the mobile industry and their standing. Your rear end CLEARLY was damaged by the remark (which wasn't directed at you) enough to retort with the MOST generic stale overused crutch response. Sounds like a YOU problem.

Feel free to bring ALL that energy to my inbox though.
    You're the one who had to interject your wisdom with your own personal political attack. I guess if you want to dish it out than learn to deal with the aftermath. Judging by your response though, I'm sure I'd only waste my time bringing you back into reality.
    Phry

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    No, your generalization about the relationship was wrong.  Knight might've been overly aggressive, but your response wasn't close to the truth, either.

• OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Member EpicPosts: 2,282
    You're all equally wrong. You all know to trust me on this, as I'm never wrong.
    Phry

MMORPG.COM took away my swinging cheerleader butt .gif.

• OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Member EpicPosts: 2,282
    DMKano said:
    Never owned a mac.

Never will. 
    Lawd have mercy! Amen and Hallelujah, Brother Kano!

MMORPG.COM took away my swinging cheerleader butt .gif.

• ElonMuskElonMusk Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Rhoklaw said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Phry said:
    Hashbrick said:
    Phry said:
    Just goes to show that the saying about Mac's is true, half the power at twice the price, i think Apples main focus these days is really mobile devices, the Desktops/Laptops are more of an 'afterthought' that they stopped investing resources into years ago, the times when you could really consider Mac's for gaming purposes, or even CAD by the sound of things are long in the past. :/
    They are going after the video/film/photo editing/3d rendering industry.  They always have, it never really was a consumer made product except way back when they wanted to compete with Microsoft.  It's built for professionals and students in semi rich life styles.
    That may have been the case in the past, but Mac's are pretty much outdated, you can get same or better performance for less $$ not that systems built for video editing etc. are all that cheap to begin with. ;)
    I second this. As a person who floats around these circles these days... no TF they're not targeting xyz industry. Apple is targeting wealthy posers as per what they've been doing for several years now in the desktop/laptop market.

The whole "video/film/photo editing/3D rendering" industry, excuse died long ago.

Guys care about rendering times, live previews, zoom speed, high DPI project performance, and color accuracy. Apple does not have the market cornered in any aspect as it pertains to performance.

Apples strong points were the small learning curve +reliable OS, and pleasing minimalist aesthetics. Once they went full Hammacher Schlemmer/Rob Report on the very people who gave the brand it's "coolness" their usefulness vanished. Function over form was back in play.

Even Huawei was starting to kick Apples ass on the mobile hardware quality/price front until Agent Orange went all tertiary syphilis with the trade/tariff wars.
    Tertiary syphilis? I understand why people don't like the guy, but in all seriousness, China's been duping the U.S. for decades in trade deals, so please, keep your CNN rhetoric to yourself.
    There's no CNN rhetoric you f@#$ing clown. It pertained to Apple and the mobile industry and their standing. Your rear end CLEARLY was damaged by the remark (which wasn't directed at you) enough to retort with the MOST generic stale overused crutch response. Sounds like a YOU problem.

You're the one who had to interject your wisdom with your own personal political attack. I guess if you want to dish it out than learn to deal with the aftermath. Judging by your response though, I'm sure I'd only waste my time bringing you back into reality.
    You sound middle aged.
  • RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 7,138
    ElonMusk said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Phry said:
    Hashbrick said:
    Phry said:

You sound middle aged.
    Your comment serves no purpose in the discussion, try again.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,060
    I've owned a lot of Macs over the years. I'm generally a fan of Apple products. I honestly don't mind spending $1,000 on my iPhone, or $2,500 on my MBP - those things I use every day, I rely on for work and other things, they last for a long time (I have a Mac Mini running at home that has something like 75,000 hours on it). I see value in the products, even if I could buy something that's "just as fast" for a lot cheaper. I can accept that not everyone feels that way though.

I can sort of rationalize a workstation for $6,000+++. It's a workstation, those things aren't cheap. They also aren't something I'm going to buy to use at home. I understand that a lot of folks are looking at it through the Consumer lens, and it's not a consumer product. Just like most folks wouldn't go out and buy a $350,000 Peterbuilt truck to drive for their daily commute.

I can't come up with any rationalization for a $999 monitor stand that is sold separately.  That was a flat out mistake on Apple's part. If they had just said "Oh, the monitor costs $5,999 and comes with a stand", people would still scoff, but they would just write it off to "Apple products are expensive and this is a Professional grade monitor, ok".  

I haven't purchased a Mac in several years. The quantity and quality of recent updates is very concerning to me. My newest Mac has just hit 5 years now, and I see no compelling reason to upgrade it. I've got several that are over 10 years and run well - they don't get all the latest software updates, but OS X is on a slow evolutionary path and you'd be hard pressed to really notice.

I will admit I've been eyeballing MS Surface products lately.
  • WBadgerWBadger Member UncommonPosts: 334
    edited June 2019
    I'm just thinking of Justin Long in the "I'm a mac and I'm a PC," commercials.  Bet you money that he has a PC now.