Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Destiny's Sword Heads to KickStarter for Its Ambitious MMO - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageDestiny's Sword Heads to KickStarter for Its Ambitious MMO - MMORPG.com

2Dogs Games has announced the start of a modest KickStarter campaign for its ambitious MMO that is centered on both traditional MMO mechanics in partnership with social mechanics that explore the effects of combat on player characters. The "stretch goal" initiative is seeking a bit over $22,000. Developers further announced that the game's narrative will be penned by best-selling sci-fi author M.D. Cooper.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited May 2019
    My guess is they are already piggy backing off of government assistance but if they can get some added free money,they can pay for all the overhead,leaving no risk,no accountability,just want gamer's want to see from expectant game developers.
    make your game,when it is finished,let me know,if your not serious to put your own money and debt up front,your just not serious about this at all.
    RemyVorender

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Another ambitious kickstarter MMO?  And they're only asking for $22,000?  I like that they want to approach this as something different (social media, emotions), and that it is SF rather than Fantasy, but I think they are so far off on their cost estimates.  On the other hand, 22k isn't going to buy the dev team any new fancy sports cars.

Incredibly hard pass until they have a finished game.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    An MMO with a Kickstarter that only asks for $22k is a huge red flag. They're not going to make the game they want on $22k. Maybe they'll be able to make it if that's just a small fraction of their funding, but in that case, why bother?
    bcbullyAlbatroes
  • CobaneCobane Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Dont give them shit.
    SBFord[Deleted User]LeFantomeMensur
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Someone reaaally want to collect on theyre KS...
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

Quizzical said:

An MMO with a Kickstarter that only asks for $22k is a huge red flag. They're not going to make the game they want on $22k. Maybe they'll be able to make it if that's just a small fraction of their funding, but in that case, why bother?

What makes it worse is that they are saying just over 22k as a 'stretch goal' insinuating that they'd be fine at that amount or less....

Isn't Atlantica Online still around? Why would I give these guys money instead of that game....? Just because its 'futuristic'?
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    If anyone backs yet another KS MMO then you deserve whatever pain you have over this.
    Is it sad that my wallet started twitching and I clicked on this to see if it looked good?
    Don't answer that.

I know the answer.

infomatzMensur

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    If anyone backs yet another KS MMO then you deserve whatever pain you have over this.
    Why would people get pain?  Almost all the SP games I liked over the past five years have been KS games.  Without the KSed mmorpgs there would be almost no mmorpgs in development right now.  Almost every SP game I am looking forward to are KS games.  

Crowd funding is a great thing.  I'd much rather roll the dice on getting something I want, than not have the chance to make a game I am interested not happen and definitely never get it.  

Am I going to fund this game?  No.  Its a card game.  
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    No thanks
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512
    Lets all kickstart another failure!

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    On text it sounded decent .. then i saw all the concepts. Even keeping in mind that its all 100% development stuff, that doesnt look interesting even in the slightest
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    So ambitious....

Is it sad that my wallet started twitching and I clicked on this to see if it looked good?
    Don't answer that.

I know the answer.

I feel you. I went to KS thinking 'hey, this might be nice.' Then their KS page gave me a reality check.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• SplitStream13SplitStream13 Member UncommonPosts: 250
    Poor name choice if you ask me. It's going to combat Destiny in pop culture. Guess which one will survive.