Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Destiny's Sword Interview - Exploring Key Features - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,126

imageDestiny's Sword Interview - Exploring Key Features - MMORPG.com

Destiny's Sword is an upcoming MMO that is trying to move the genre in new ways with its emphasis on mental health as a component of a character's development. But what about the more typical MMO features that players expect? We sat down with 2Dogs' Ken Hall to learn more.

Read the full story here



¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 


«1

Comments

  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,472
    in paper it looks nice, but they sure are in a world of pain when players start to abuse such things
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited May 2019
    I applaud them for trying something very new & unique in the genre. Not sure its for me though
    Samhaelinfomatz
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,980
    Storm Troopers Vs ED-209
    Octagon7711
  • black9iceblack9ice Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Yet again another non-mmo on mmorpg.com
    ZenJelly
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,126
    black9ice said:
    Yet again another non-mmo on mmorpg.com
    Absolutely untrue. The game is described as an MMORPG. 
    VezlinitchmonZenJelly


    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 


  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 596
    Sorry but this looks like shit, definitely not for me.
    TillerZenJelly

  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

    SBFord said:


    black9ice said:

    Yet again another non-mmo on mmorpg.com


    Absolutely untrue. The game is described as an MMORPG. 



    It's instance based I would never label it an MMORPG because of that fact alone, but doesn't matter coverage is coverage.
    RexKushmanGdemamiJimWraithNextrixZenJelly
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • black9iceblack9ice Member UncommonPosts: 154

    SBFord said:


    black9ice said:

    Yet again another non-mmo on mmorpg.com


    Absolutely untrue. The game is described as an MMORPG. 



    Then I have some Mapples to sell you. They look just like apples, they taste just like them, grow just like them. But at closer inspection and past all the marketing fluff its a Mapple, and not apple.

    I think you guys running this site really need to take a step back and ask yourselves what an MMORPG is.

    https://www.techopedia.com/definition/1919/massively-multiplayer-online-role-playing-game-mmorpg

    ^^ Explains this perfectly. This game or others you keep covering here are not MMORPG's!
    GdemamiZenJelly
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 596

    black9ice said:



    SBFord said:




    black9ice said:


    Yet again another non-mmo on mmorpg.com




    Absolutely untrue. The game is described as an MMORPG. 






    Then I have some Mapples to sell you. They look just like apples, they taste just like them, grow just like them. But at closer inspection and past all the marketing fluff its a Mapple, and not apple.



    I think you guys running this site really need to take a step back and ask yourselves what an MMORPG is.



    https://www.techopedia.com/definition/1919/massively-multiplayer-online-role-playing-game-mmorpg



    ^^ Explains this perfectly. This game or others you keep covering here are not MMORPG's!



    While I may agree that this particular game is not what I consider an MMORPG I completely disagree with the thought that this site should ONLY cover MMORPGs. Over time this site has evolved to cover many different aspects of gaming in general and that is a really good thing. There are lots of really good writers and staff members on this site and i enjoy seeing what they have to say on a wide range of topics. This discussion is off topic for this thread though so I wont feed into it further.
    Octagon7711infomatz

  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Definitely different.

    EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

  • JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    This site pushing this new idea of what an MMORPG is shows why this sites popularity has plummeted and why the genre is suffering the way it is.

    Call a horse a horse and stop trying to call this donkey an MMORPG just because the maker wants that label on it. It isnt. Its just another niche game that will get lost in the mix of other subpar low budget games.
    SBFord

    "People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

    They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    "Call a horse a horse and stop trying to call this donkey an MMORPG just because the maker wants that label on it."

    Can't we players make up our own minds about what it is?

    SBFordinfomatz

    EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,126
    Amathe said:

    Can't we players make up our own minds about what it is?

    Yes. :) It's called agency.

    The game's developers call it an MMO and so shall we. *shrugs*


    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 


  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 14,184
    This should be a 'not so MMO' or whatever, if the design team called it a driving game I am not sure this site would call it a driving game. :)
    RexKushmanScotty787

     25 Agrees

    You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

  • DranmarthDranmarth Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Looks interesting, I'll probably give it a try
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,438
    I didnt even read the article, but I looked at the pictures

    card games are now MMORPGs?
    Scotty787
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,071
    That interview was interesting.  But then I noticed the screenshot had combat as a card game.  I hate that shit with a passion.  I've never played a game that had card combat that had either decent or interesting combat.  

    But, the rest of it seems interesting enough to give it a try.  I thought ICY was a decent game despite having shitty card combat.
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Do people really need another game/entertainment/movie/music/etc thing with the name that has the word "Destiny" in it? lol
    ScotJeffSpicoliScotty787
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 14,184
    Do people really need another game/entertainment/movie/music/etc thing with the name that has the word "Destiny" in it? lol
    We are fated to hear the anthem of our destiny as we take up the call to arms and fight in the mother of all battle royal's. :)

     25 Agrees

    You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

  • IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    Game looks like its 20 years old. Devs please stop pushing trash out >.<
    JeffSpicoli
  • ArcterosArcteros Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    edited May 2019

    Hashbrick said:



    SBFord said:




    black9ice said:


    Yet again another non-mmo on mmorpg.com




    Absolutely untrue. The game is described as an MMORPG. 






    It's instance based I would never label it an MMORPG because of that fact alone, but doesn't matter coverage is coverage.



    MMO is a huge genre, you can't define it so narrowly, even if you may only prefer a small segment of it. That's a bit like saying only space opera is sci-fi.

    Anything that creates a shared online experience for a large group of players is an MMO. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

    Incidentally, according to your link, the definition of an MMO is:

    "A massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) is a video game that takes place in a persistent state world (PSW) with thousands, or even millions, of players developing their characters in a role-playing environment. The virtual world in which the game takes place is never static. Even when a player is logged off, events are occurring across the world that may impact the player when he or she logs in again."

    DS has - a persistent world (check); thousands of players [we're currently planning for about 10-20k players per server] (check); dynamic, living world (check).

    As for instancing, one of my favourite MMOs of all time - City of Heroes - was instanced, and that game provided me with some of the best social interaction of any of the PC MMOs.
    Post edited by Arcteros on
    klash2def
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,472

    Arcteros said:



    Hashbrick said:





    SBFord said:






    black9ice said:



    Yet again another non-mmo on mmorpg.com






    Absolutely untrue. The game is described as an MMORPG. 









    It's instance based I would never label it an MMORPG because of that fact alone, but doesn't matter coverage is coverage.






    MMO is a huge genre, you can't define it so narrowly, even if you may only prefer a small segment of it. That's a bit like saying only space opera is sci-fi.



    Anything that creates a shared online experience for a large group of players is an MMO. There's more than one way to skin a cat.



    As for instancing, one of my favourite MMOs of all time - City of Heroes - was instanced.



    huge genre or not its not massive so its jsut a MO, but its semantics, a waste of time, and the game is not even worth the time to complain about this, so moving on
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited May 2019
    MMO , ADD, RPG, STD What difference does it make!!!!  Give it a chance
    Post edited by JeffSpicoli on
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

  • ArcterosArcteros Newbie CommonPosts: 2

    blamo2000 said:

    That interview was interesting.  But then I noticed the screenshot had combat as a card game.  I hate that shit with a passion.  I've never played a game that had card combat that had either decent or interesting combat.  

    But, the rest of it seems interesting enough to give it a try.  I thought ICY was a decent game despite having shitty card combat.



    Hey Blamo,

    These screenshots are old, we've actually replaced the cards with the commander action buttons, in response to feedback from PAX East.

    It's exactly the same gameplay - you can perform your actions on your own or any other player's troops - but just a different presentation that fits better with our style and avoids confusion with existing card game mechanics.

    We really like the commander actions because they're very tactile - you directly interact with your team while playing them - but the card presentation just wasn't a great fit.

    This is what the UI currently looks like:
    http://destinyssword.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/DS_03.jpg
    JeffSpicoli
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 14,184
    Arcteros said:

    blamo2000 said:

    That interview was interesting.  But then I noticed the screenshot had combat as a card game.  I hate that shit with a passion.  I've never played a game that had card combat that had either decent or interesting combat.  

    But, the rest of it seems interesting enough to give it a try.  I thought ICY was a decent game despite having shitty card combat.



    Hey Blamo,

    These screenshots are old, we've actually replaced the cards with the commander action buttons, in response to feedback from PAX East.

    It's exactly the same gameplay - you can perform your actions on your own or any other player's troops - but just a different presentation that fits better with our style and avoids confusion with existing card game mechanics.

    We really like the commander actions because they're very tactile - you directly interact with your team while playing them - but the card presentation just wasn't a great fit.

    This is what the UI currently looks like:
    http://destinyssword.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/DS_03.jpg
    Welcome to our forums! :)

     25 Agrees

    You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

Sign In or Register to comment.