Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crowfall – Industry Day - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,126

imageCrowfall – Industry Day - MMORPG.com

ACE kicks the in-game industry up a gear as Crowfall takes on speed towards launch. Red Thomas dives into the game again to explore recent updates to crafting and what backers might expect in the way of future support for the player-based economy. Red also invents the new term “tactical economy.”

Read the full story here



¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 


«1

Comments

  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,071
    Crowfall is a game I used to be interested in. I would have bought it and played but for two things.

    1) Every single time I tried to find release estimates on it, I had to waste significant amounts of time to find nothing. Over time the annoyance of this adds up to resentment, anger, and dislike.

    2) WoW classic will be the next game I play and I know I like it so it is a no brainer, no risk guaranteed thing. When I do get bored of it or want to try something new either Ship of Heroes or City of Titan should be out, and when I get done with one of those the other will be out, and when done with that it will be back to classic or something else that is an mmorpg.

    This last year or two has been a dead time for me and really was the perfect time for anything interesting off the beaten path to come out. I think a lot of devs are going to kick themselves for not releasing anything when mmorpg players had absolutely nothing and were willing to try interesting non-traditional mmos with rpg elements out of desperation for anything.
    koldmiserJamesGoblinArskaaaMensurKyleranAmathe
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,472
    heh bias notice, don't worry everything I read here is full of bias, most awesome thing are told here are meh

    plus the last shenanigans they was trying to pull really make me less interested in the game,since they sure love to tell its a good game, but there is nothing about it
    JamesGoblin
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • black9iceblack9ice Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Sometime, the end of last year I tried it again. All I have seen is poorly put together 'modules', it just does not feel like a game. I felt as if you are logging into a tech demo at best. Then there was another thing I noticed right away, at least for me, The whole vessel thing, etc... I never really felt any attachment at all to my character in game. It feels pretty soulless.
  • Mars_OMGMars_OMG Member EpicPosts: 3,044
    edited May 2019
    and like shadowbane, graphics begin to get dated ....
    - abandoning social media could possibly save the world.  

  • SiysrrilSiysrril Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Interest on this game has been lost :/
    RhygarthArskaaa
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Now that I can play City of Heroes again I have no interest. This has been in development far too long.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Hey guys, KIA makes the best cars... did I mention I really like KIAs?

    NOTICE OF BIAS: I am an SEC accredited investor and have invested in KIA. Writing this absolves the bias from my earlier statements.
    Mensur
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    I hope these pics of refineries are from an upcoming update, we had lots of fillers recently. Did you talk with them about (at least rough estimates of) when the first caravans will hit the test servers?
    MadFrenchie
     W...aaagh?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 18,381
    Pretending to be a rpg when it is not,pretending to be more than just a simple seasons pvp game when it is nothing more ,is just a mess of a game design.

    If your going to use rpg elements,then be a rpg,or if your simply going to be a pvp game,why all the rpg elements and world,why not just do it the best way and be an arena shooter?
    i have often asked my self why ...why why,it is never clear but to me it is rather clear,all these decisions were done because they believed they could make more money this way.
    Wiping out work,the world is NOT good decision making.Having players put in an effort to wipe away their effort is not good decision making.Trying to create a balanced pvp design around rpg elements is IMPOSSIBLE.

    So then some added fluff,building/plots,this will NOT be nearly as good as some survival games.
    So after all is said and done what is this game or is it trying to be good at?Pretty much good at nothing,but ends up being an unbalanced pvp game.

    Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,071
    I don't see how investing in a game you are interested in rules out writing articles or reviewing it as long as you clearly state you are an investor, as the author did.

    For the people who think this rules out any opinions from being valid - does kickstarting a game rule it out? If so at what amount of funding? Fig is an actual traditional type investment with a return, would that rule someone out?

    JamesGoblin
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,673

    black9ice said:

    Sometime, the end of last year I tried it again. All I have seen is poorly put together 'modules', it just does not feel like a game. I felt as if you are logging into a tech demo at best. Then there was another thing I noticed right away, at least for me, The whole vessel thing, etc... I never really felt any attachment at all to my character in game. It feels pretty soulless.



    So you're saying that it's in pre-alpha?

    Come on. When they openly say that it's nowhere near ready to launch yet, you can't expect it to be a complete, polished game. If you're not interested in very early access, then don't play it yet. Problem solved.
    JamesGoblinRed_Thomas
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Wizardry said:
    Pretending to be a rpg when it is not,pretending to be more than just a simple seasons pvp game when it is nothing more ,is just a mess of a game design.

    If your going to use rpg elements,then be a rpg,or if your simply going to be a pvp game,why all the rpg elements and world,why not just do it the best way and be an arena shooter?
    i have often asked my self why ...why why,it is never clear but to me it is rather clear,all these decisions were done because they believed they could make more money this way.
    Wiping out work,the world is NOT good decision making.Having players put in an effort to wipe away their effort is not good decision making.Trying to create a balanced pvp design around rpg elements is IMPOSSIBLE.

    So then some added fluff,building/plots,this will NOT be nearly as good as some survival games.
    So after all is said and done what is this game or is it trying to be good at?Pretty much good at nothing,but ends up being an unbalanced pvp game.
    I do so love that you have 15k posts and you're just still truckin' along, doing your thing man.  Mad respect. :D
    JamesGoblinNyctelios

    image
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,071
    Quizzical said:

    black9ice said:

    Sometime, the end of last year I tried it again. All I have seen is poorly put together 'modules', it just does not feel like a game. I felt as if you are logging into a tech demo at best. Then there was another thing I noticed right away, at least for me, The whole vessel thing, etc... I never really felt any attachment at all to my character in game. It feels pretty soulless.



    So you're saying that it's in pre-alpha?

    Come on. When they openly say that it's nowhere near ready to launch yet, you can't expect it to be a complete, polished game. If you're not interested in very early access, then don't play it yet. Problem solved.
    That's not what they said.  It was supposed to go into the soft release in 2018 (late fall I was told).  Since then I've checked every month or so, and the soft release was just a patch or two away.  No solid info, just hints and cryptic statements meant to get people to buy.  I've never had a harder time trying to find solid information or even big clues.  I've never had to read through so many forum posts trying to find a hint of something solid, and it was always almost.  
    BruceYee
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,673
    blamo2000 said:
    Quizzical said:

    black9ice said:

    Sometime, the end of last year I tried it again. All I have seen is poorly put together 'modules', it just does not feel like a game. I felt as if you are logging into a tech demo at best. Then there was another thing I noticed right away, at least for me, The whole vessel thing, etc... I never really felt any attachment at all to my character in game. It feels pretty soulless.



    So you're saying that it's in pre-alpha?

    Come on. When they openly say that it's nowhere near ready to launch yet, you can't expect it to be a complete, polished game. If you're not interested in very early access, then don't play it yet. Problem solved.
    That's not what they said.  It was supposed to go into the soft release in 2018 (late fall I was told).  Since then I've checked every month or so, and the soft release was just a patch or two away.  No solid info, just hints and cryptic statements meant to get people to buy.  I've never had a harder time trying to find solid information or even big clues.  I've never had to read through so many forum posts trying to find a hint of something solid, and it was always almost.  
    If you're not interested in the game until it launches, then just ignore it until they announce that it is launched.  Apart from major life events that lead you to reconsider gaming entirely, it's not like you'd be hugely interested if it launches at one point in time but not interested at all if it launches a year later.
    JamesGoblin
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,075

    blamo2000 said:


    Quizzical said:



    black9ice said:


    Sometime, the end of last year I tried it again. All I have seen is poorly put together 'modules', it just does not feel like a game. I felt as if you are logging into a tech demo at best. Then there was another thing I noticed right away, at least for me, The whole vessel thing, etc... I never really felt any attachment at all to my character in game. It feels pretty soulless.






    So you're saying that it's in pre-alpha?



    Come on. When they openly say that it's nowhere near ready to launch yet, you can't expect it to be a complete, polished game. If you're not interested in very early access, then don't play it yet. Problem solved.

    That's not what they said.  It was supposed to go into the soft release in 2018 (late fall I was told).  Since then I've checked every month or so, and the soft release was just a patch or two away.  No solid info, just hints and cryptic statements meant to get people to buy.  I've never had a harder time trying to find solid information or even big clues.  I've never had to read through so many forum posts trying to find a hint of something solid, and it was always almost.  



    That transparency crowdfunded titles were supposed to provide ended up being just a sales gimmick. CU provides information in detail about what's being worked on while this game puts out like you said "info to get you to buy". At this point they seem to be doing what Albion did and hold the game in extended development just to collect money from curious people.
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    blamo2000 said:
    Quizzical said:

    black9ice said:

    Sometime, the end of last year I tried it again. All I have seen is poorly put together 'modules', it just does not feel like a game. I felt as if you are logging into a tech demo at best. Then there was another thing I noticed right away, at least for me, The whole vessel thing, etc... I never really felt any attachment at all to my character in game. It feels pretty soulless.



    So you're saying that it's in pre-alpha?

    Come on. When they openly say that it's nowhere near ready to launch yet, you can't expect it to be a complete, polished game. If you're not interested in very early access, then don't play it yet. Problem solved.
    That's not what they said.  It was supposed to go into the soft release in 2018 (late fall I was told).  Since then I've checked every month or so, and the soft release was just a patch or two away.  No solid info, just hints and cryptic statements meant to get people to buy.  I've never had a harder time trying to find solid information or even big clues.  I've never had to read through so many forum posts trying to find a hint of something solid, and it was always almost.  

    You didn't find it simply because it doesn't exist; I agree that we should ideally have solid dates and companies respecting them but it never works that way in reality,well maybe it does in ice cream industry. On the other hand soft launching after "a patch or two" while still in pre-alpha(!), they never said that; I get what you're saying but this is over-underlining (hmm...is this even a word?).

    This is how it happened: during Kickstarter (March 2015) the projected soft-launch date was December 2016; It's possible that Kickstarter regulations required(?) them to give a specific month and so they did. Then at some point mid-2016 they pushed it back to 2017, then in second quarter of 2017 it got pushed back to 2018 etc. The most recent official info is about alpha being a patch or two away, which seems much more realistic.

    If you want to know what is likely going to happen: alpha at some point this year, beta in 2020-21(I'd rather bet on '21) and after that - God only knows. Too much unknown about the future of their funding,what features they'll push post-launch, how successful will open beta be, the state of the engine etc.
     W...aaagh?
  • MensurMensur Member RarePosts: 963
    Crowfall there is a hidden meaning in the name of the game. Its a hint of what's to come.

    Proud MMORPG.com member since 2009! 




  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 37,025
    edited May 2019
    Mensur said:
    Crowfall there is a hidden meaning in the name of the game. Its a hint of what's to come.
    I call first dibs on the name CrowFail ...

    Might as well also reserve Camelot Unreleased,  Ashes of Cremation, (along with Ashes of Bad Royal) Cons of Elyria, Pannedtheon, Pew World, Scam Citizen, and Dead Universe.

    :D
    lahnmirShaighJamesGoblinNyctelios

    "See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 4,020
    Kyleran said:
    Mensur said:
    Crowfall there is a hidden meaning in the name of the game. Its a hint of what's to come.
    I call first dibs on the name CrowFail ...

    Might as well also reserve Camelot Unreleased,  Ashes of Cremation, (along with Ashes of Bad Royal) Cons of Elyria, Pannedtheon, Pew World, Scam Citizen, and Dead Universe.

    :D
    You sir, are a winner.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    JamesGoblin
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

    Kyleran on yours sincerely 


    'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

    Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...



    'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

    It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

    It is just huge resource waste....'

    Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,071
    blamo2000 said:
    Quizzical said:

    black9ice said:






    You didn't find it simply because it doesn't exist; I agree that we should ideally have solid dates and companies respecting them but it never works that way in reality,well maybe it does in ice cream industry. 
    I don't want solid dates.  I just want easily to find information on when I should check back.  If that changes, I don't care. Just let me know.  Work on your game until its done.  Just don't waste my time, which seems to be their whole shtick.  

    And they most certainly put out information regarding a soft release.  This is factual, not disputable.  If it wasn't for that post, I would have never bothered checking, and checking, and rechecking, and rechecking, and trying to find what the fuck is going on release-wise.  

    The post was on this site, either earlish 2018 or possibly 2017.  


  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,026
    blamo2000 said:
    blamo2000 said:
    Quizzical said:

    black9ice said:






    You didn't find it simply because it doesn't exist; I agree that we should ideally have solid dates and companies respecting them but it never works that way in reality,well maybe it does in ice cream industry. 
    I don't want solid dates.  I just want easily to find information on when I should check back.  If that changes, I don't care. Just let me know.  Work on your game until its done.  Just don't waste my time, which seems to be their whole shtick.  

    And they most certainly put out information regarding a soft release.  This is factual, not disputable.  If it wasn't for that post, I would have never bothered checking, and checking, and rechecking, and rechecking, and trying to find what the fuck is going on release-wise.  

    The post was on this site, either earlish 2018 or possibly 2017.  


    So your boycott of the game is based on the fact that you can't find a release date that isn't real anyway?  Ok then.
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,071
    blamo2000 said:
    blamo2000 said:
    Quizzical said:

    black9ice said:






    You didn't find it simply because it doesn't exist; I agree that we should ideally have solid dates and companies respecting them but it never works that way in reality,well maybe it does in ice cream industry. 
    I don't want solid dates.  I just want easily to find information on when I should check back.  If that changes, I don't care. Just let me know.  Work on your game until its done.  Just don't waste my time, which seems to be their whole shtick.  

    And they most certainly put out information regarding a soft release.  This is factual, not disputable.  If it wasn't for that post, I would have never bothered checking, and checking, and rechecking, and rechecking, and trying to find what the fuck is going on release-wise.  

    The post was on this site, either earlish 2018 or possibly 2017.  


    So your boycott of the game is based on the fact that you can't find a release date that isn't real anyway?  Ok then.
    If you say so, tiger.  Your comprehension is amazing.  I am not boycotting anything.  My time being wasted causes anger, resentment, and dislike.  

    If they had soft release up to maybe 8/15 I would try it.  But when wow classic comes out I will not need it, and then I have Ship of Heroes and City of Titan to look forward to.  In the future, if I hit a dead spot like I have in the last couple years, and this game is still around I may give it a try.  

    And I honestly don't know how to get people like you to understand simple, easy to understand information.  They had a post a year or two ago about soft release before the end of the year.  Without them saying that, I would have never looked at the game or cared.  The lack of follow up is annoying.  Them saying, "just kidding don't bother checking back until spring of 2021" would have made all this a non-issue for me.  Communication.  I am a fan of it.  I am not a fan of being toyed with and dicked around with.

    If you come out with soft release info a year or two ago, and as a dev team you still have no fucking idea of even a ballpark timeframe of when your game is coming out, nor do you give a fuck enough to communicate with potential players, and the biggest names in your community constantly say in a patch or two, you are incompetent fucking morons with no clue.  Why would anyone want to support or play a game made by incompetent fucking idiots that can't even guess at what quarter and what year there game is coming out after releasing soft release information over a year or two ago?
  • Red_ThomasRed_Thomas Member RarePosts: 666
    I hope these pics of refineries are from an upcoming update, we had lots of fillers recently. Did you talk with them about (at least rough estimates of) when the first caravans will hit the test servers?
    They tend to play the specifics of when things are coming out pretty close to the vest, so I don't have specific dates.   Since refineries and caravans are complimentary systems, I'd expect them out at the same time.  I also know they're specifically working on them right now.   In the past, new systems have rolled out in about 1-2 months after I'd noticed active effort, so think that'd be a good estimate.
  • Red_ThomasRed_Thomas Member RarePosts: 666
    blamo2000 said:
    I don't see how investing in a game you are interested in rules out writing articles or reviewing it as long as you clearly state you are an investor, as the author did.

    For the people who think this rules out any opinions from being valid - does kickstarting a game rule it out? If so at what amount of funding? Fig is an actual traditional type investment with a return, would that rule someone out?

    It's because I have a financial interest in the game being successful, and the SEC part is sort of a flag for any other potential investors to make it clear what kind of investment I'm talking about.

    It wouldn't be ethical to write articles about the game and not disclose the financial interest in it.

    w/r to bias, there's no such thing as unbiased reporting in any form because everyone has an opinion.  You just try not to let the opinion color what you put out there.   But since my articles are pretty exclusively about games I like, they're be definition biased.   I just don't write about projects that I think are bad.
    blamo2000
  • PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    I don't get why anyone in game development would ever want to make their own version of Shadowbane. There's a reason it failed way back when, and trying to redo it is mind boggling idiotic, imo. Clunky, gank fest, impossible to balance PvP is not a great bullet point to put on the box of a new game. And this has been in development for almost as long as that other vapor-ware, pyramid scheme, Star Citizen. It's in the same category as Shroud of the Bunghole-star, even though that "shipped." Pyramid scheme of a clunky, outdated and poorly designed game from a crazy has-been, but with koolaid drinking customers who keep throwing money at it in order to keep their master's dream alive. They should change their donation names to Suckers instead of Founders. IMO.

    I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

Sign In or Register to comment.