Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worlds Adrift Closing in July - Devs Cite Lack of Commercial Viability

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageWorlds Adrift Closing in July - Devs Cite Lack of Commercial Viability

Bossa has announced that Worlds Adrift will be closing down in July. While proud of what was achieved, developers cite a lack of commercial viability due to not reaching "the level of popularity it needs to continue". The letter further states that too much development time was spent "making the game work rather than making it the experience we wanted it to be".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

[Deleted User]

Comments

• NoxiousBassNoxiousBass Member UncommonPosts: 257
    Oh man, that's always sad news. Did they ever make at least a free weekend trial? I wasn't keen on forking up the cash just to see if the game was for me.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    This was the building game with FFA PvP right ?
    anemo
    Chamber of Chains
  • RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Maybe they shouldn't have decided to split up their playerbase by adding PvE servers. It scared off the PvP audience while failing to attain the PvE audience that never existed in the first place.

It was a fun game, lots of rough potential, but management made some pretty weird decisions such as the whole PvE server thing. This was an act of complete self-sabotage.

Lastly, the game never left an alpha/beta state... What were they assuming? That people would just jump in and open their wallets for a shell of a game that was nowhere near finished? Hell, I didn't even know they were looking for "financial success" so early on... Seems a bit unrealistic an expectation?

Anyhow, maybe they can sell off to someone who can actually make a fun game out of it, although I suppose with the whole SpatialOS mess I doubt people want to risk touching it. Shame.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]anemommolouMendeljason523Cazrielinfomatz
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Looks like a No Mans Sky in a very early alpha state. RIP but these devs should have known better...
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • SylvinstarSylvinstar Member UncommonPosts: 158
    edited May 2019

raapnaap said:

Maybe they shouldn't have decided to split up their playerbase by adding PvE servers. It scared off the PvP audience while failing to attain the PvE audience that never existed in the first place.

It was a fun game, lots of rough potential, but management made some pretty weird decisions such as the whole PvE server thing. This was an act of complete self-sabotage.

Lastly, the game never left an alpha/beta state... What were they assuming? That people would just jump in and open their wallets for a shell of a game that was nowhere near finished? Hell, I didn't even know they were looking for "financial success" so early on... Seems a bit unrealistic an expectation?

Anyhow, maybe they can sell off to someone who can actually make a fun game out of it, although I suppose with the whole SpatialOS mess I doubt people want to risk touching it. Shame.

How does making PvE servers kill a game?
    Are you saying this because it lowered the potential amount of players on the server?
    If it was a good PvP game wouldn't there be enough PvP'rs to support it...or are you saying that the PvP'rs need the 'easy' PvE player kills to make a satisfying experience for the PvPr's?
    MaurgrimPhryKyleranTheocrituscheyanemmolou[Deleted User]dragonlee66Cyber_wastelandMendeland 8 others.
  • black9iceblack9ice Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Survival sandbox games keep failing for a couple of reasons. First, No AAA big money studio has dared even to touch the genre yet. Secondly, the market for the player base these games attract is around a couple hundred K players at best (this is a small return on investment for larger studios). Thirdly, the gaming market has swung in the past 15 years from producing slowly mega/major titles, to producing shitty titles in 2-3 years, way faster and cheaper.

Another thing to note, not specifically about this title, but games lately in general. We need simple basic GUI's, we need 1-2 hot bars for abilities, standard type stuff. Hit 'I' for inventory, 'P' for the character sheet etc. There is no need to change or deviate from what a lot of MMO players consider a standard control scheme/GUI. Devs really need to take a step back at 'their' ideas and stop trying to invent the next best 'NEW' thing. We have not even seen a successful game in this genre, may never, mildly, we have Ark, but its run by monkeys.
    Cazriel
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    We dont need MORE MMORPGS we need fewer better and more viable MMORPGS.   The MMORPG genre was never designed to have hundreds of titles and games.   There is not enough money there to keep many afloat.  Add to that the nature of MMORPGS, they suck ass in the F2P P2W cash shop BS that occurs today.   Less and less players play these games and spend less money on them.   Why?  Because its like going from Candy crush to another Candy Crush like game to another Candy Crush like game.   If you dont want to play the main game why do you want to play the Candy Crush Clone?   Add to that the MMORPG Genre thrived on the Subscription model for a long time, now with F2P and microtransactions look how players no longer commit to a game.   

MMORPGS take too long to make and having players not make long term commitments to the game is all but pointless.   This is why Games as a service will also soon shrink.   Its good to have 12 to maybe 30 games in MMORPGs and Games as a service.  But not all games should be designed this way.  Hell take a look at the idea being dragon age 4, they want to make that a games as a service with microtransactions and the interest in DA4 dropped like a rock.   Look at MMORPGS when players find out they are F2p yes a rush comes in for a month then quits.   Its not a sustainable model.  

KyleranGdemamiMendelesc-joconnorCazriel
    danwest58 said:
    We dont need MORE MMORPGS we need fewer better and more viable MMORPGS.   The MMORPG genre was never designed to have hundreds of titles and games.   There is not enough money there to keep many afloat.  Add to that the nature of MMORPGS, they suck ass in the F2P P2W cash shop BS that occurs today.   Less and less players play these games and spend less money on them.   Why?  Because its like going from Candy crush to another Candy Crush like game to another Candy Crush like game.   If you dont want to play the main game why do you want to play the Candy Crush Clone?   Add to that the MMORPG Genre thrived on the Subscription model for a long time, now with F2P and microtransactions look how players no longer commit to a game.   

MMORPGS take too long to make and having players not make long term commitments to the game is all but pointless.   This is why Games as a service will also soon shrink.   Its good to have 12 to maybe 30 games in MMORPGs and Games as a service.  But not all games should be designed this way.  Hell take a look at the idea being dragon age 4, they want to make that a games as a service with microtransactions and the interest in DA4 dropped like a rock.   Look at MMORPGS when players find out they are F2p yes a rush comes in for a month then quits.   Its not a sustainable model.  

This is not a MMORPG, it was another survival game like Ark, Conan, 7Days, etc...
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012

black9ice said:

danwest58 said:

This is not a MMORPG, it was another survival game like Ark, Conan, 7Days, etc...

Wrong They say they are building an MMO on their website. The problem is we keep using terms like MMO for Games as a Service instead of calling it what it is.

"At Bossa Studios we love taking risks and making stuff that no one dares to do in order to create great original experiences for players. Worlds Adrift was an ambitious undertaking for us: a community crafted MMO built on freedom and player agency with multiplayer physics, set in a huge world. We are proud of what we achieved with the game since development began five years ago out of a humble game jam."
    Gdemami
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    So are they going to have a single player mode or let people host servers? Or do I just have a dead game in my library now?
    Palebane[Deleted User]sschruppjason523

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

danwest58 said:

black9ice said:

danwest58 said:

Wrong They say they are building an MMO on their website. The problem is we keep using terms like MMO for Games as a Service instead of calling it what it is.

"At Bossa Studios we love taking risks and making stuff that no one dares to do in order to create great original experiences for players. Worlds Adrift was an ambitious undertaking for us: a community crafted MMO built on freedom and player agency with multiplayer physics, set in a huge world. We are proud of what we achieved with the game since development began five years ago out of a humble game jam."
    Well 30-40 players, small 3-5K map, was never an MMO in my book on 1 server, do not think it was ever in a lot of players minds that have frequented MMORPG's (EQ1, EQ2, DAOC, WoW, Etc...)  Its marketing departments to blame that try to 'spin' things every way they can to confuse consumers.  Then you have all the supporters that will argue the above either way.  Doesn't matter, an apple is still, just an apple.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Had some interesting ideas, I liked the look of the exploration, shame it did not even get to early access.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012
    raapnaap said:

Or maybe they should have had pve servers at the start to attract all those pve players who would have loved the game and who would have been made aware of the game through its initial launch.

Sneaking in a pve server way after the game launched to not much fanfare, with not much advertisement is the issue.
    KyleranPalebanecheyanesschruppCazrielTacticalZombeh
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986

Sovrath said:

raapnaap said:

Or maybe they should have had pve servers at the start to attract all those pve players who would have loved the game and who would have been made aware of the game through its initial launch.

Sneaking in a pve server way after the game launched to not much fanfare, with not much advertisement is the issue.

I really don't think PvP/PvE was the issue, they did a server for both and that did not seem to help that much.
    anemodragonlee66Mendel
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Scot said:

Sovrath said:

raapnaap said:

I really don't think PvP/PvE was the issue, they did a server for both and that did not seem to help that much.
    Yeah. Spot on. When by their own admission they only had 20% of the game they wanted to make. I think what kind of server it was had very little bearing on people playing it compared to the unfinished state of the game.
    Mendel

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    The genre affecting news is interesting
    ___

On a more genre affecting level it was the most serious demonstration of Improbable's SpatialOS.  At least that gamers got to play, with everything else being years out or tech demos.  And it was a shitshow in the sense that after two years they were still patching out item duplication bugs.  So it's not quite near the MMO in a box it's thought to be.

Also demonstrates you don't get the ability to stay in Early Access for long in a multiplayer game, and keep your community engaged.  Even right now they're getting a few WTFs from old community members saying we were waiting for resets/wipes to stop.

It also did a really really good job at demonstrating that you're able to use community builders the same way MUDs do and add their stuff to the world.  You could tell for each island that there was that extra "handness".   Islands were also on point, on theme,  and balanced. 
    [Deleted User]

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012
    edited May 2019
    Nilden said:
    Scot said:

Sovrath said:

raapnaap said:

Yeah. Spot on. When by their own admission they only had 20% of the game they wanted to make. I think what kind of server it was had very little bearing on people playing it compared to the unfinished state of the game.
    Well, if that is is the case then OF COURSE the game folded. 20%? really? That's a huge shame.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    This "Early Access" scam needs to end. I would love to see a study as to how many of these games ever fully release.
    KyleranPalebaneGdemami[Deleted User]dragonlee66MendelScotinfomatz
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311
    Another closing of a game I never heard of.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    edited May 2019
    the game was launched? I think I missed that
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    the game was launched? I think I missed that

Negative....it was still early access on Steam.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    edited May 2019

Nilden said:

So are they going to have a single player mode or let people host servers? Or do I just have a dead game in my library now?

Go with the latter....but you do have all those "fine" memories of playing the game going forward.

:D

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

Viper482 said:

This "Early Access" scam needs to end. I would love to see a study as to how many of these games ever fully release.

It's a pretty big list I think, would probably need a qualifier, like after the one year mark as it seems many of these early access titles put this in as estimated time to full launch....
    Sovrath

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Kyleran said:

Viper482 said:

It's a pretty big list I think, would probably need a qualifier, like after the one year mark as it seems many of these early access titles put this in as estimated time to full launch....
    There was a point in this game's cycle where they pulled themselves from Steam and called themselves pre-early-access
    [Deleted User]

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Game doesn't reach enough popularity to launch...  Prior to ever having a game ready for launch.

Nothing says "we're not budging til you've already committed to paying us" quite like crowdfunding.
    [Deleted User]KyleranMendelSlapshot1188