Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO with no leveling

jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,694
Could this work? Like if a player was placed in the world at max level and gear was all cosmetic. Personally tired of leveling in MMOs and would rather have a game with MMO like combat where I can log in and PvP without being stuck behind XP, and or, gear walls walls every time I wanna try something new. Leveling really doesn't do much for me. I don't like my character anymore just because I leveled them.

I think it would be cool to have an open world MMO with no leveling. Just log in and do what you want without worrying about power levels.
KyleranGyva02bcbully

Comments

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 1,948
    edited May 28
    But , but i love leveling ... i just hate contents being gated by level
    SovrathAmarantharAlBQuirkyWaanfoxgirlTallyn
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,980
    edited May 28
    It would take a VERY immersive world to pull this off, e.g., deep player economy (hardcore crafting, social trades, player cities, player shopping malls), complex and entertaining combat, and an endless supply of aesthetics (armor, clothing, weapons, cloaks, mounts).

Jedi Academy-style combat, Second Life-style social players, and a gigantic world.

I'm in!
  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 20,647
    Dauzqul said:

I'm in!

Indeed you are.
    We all are.

Real life is the best sandbox simulation we have.
    gunklackerdragonlee66
  • gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 226
    i am not in, when play mmos i want to slay dragons, i want to go where no man has gone before, i want to be a fricken SUPERHERO....
    Alverantbcbully
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 3,886
    I am all for it. Except gear be situational and gaining abilities though lore based quest that teaches you how to use them..

I like needing say a fire cloak to go to hot environment or lighter than air ring to go to the cloud realm.
    i am not in, when play mmos i want to slay dragons, i want to go where no man has gone before, i want to be a fricken SUPERHERO....

Yep. It feels awesome once you realize that you and tens of thousands others have killed the same dragons and are all superheros.

So much for no man has gone before.... ;)
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 863
    Isn't this every MMO?  I only play mmorpgs with a chardev system that interests me, but the whole point of dropping the rpg from mmorpg was specifically for all the millions of games out now that do exactly what you say you want - MOBAs, Battle Royals, crafting games, etc.

Wouldn't ESO fit this too since everything scales?  
  • ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 1,376
    I never played it but isnt Secret World toted as a MMO with no leveling 
    Ungood
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member RarePosts: 3,339
    edited May 28
    I want skill gain, learning new skills, plain/good/better gear, all that stuff.
    I just don't want the power gaps that separates the world and the players into fragments.

20% vertical, 80% horizontal.

I do indeed want that very deep world you speak of.
    Gdemami

Once upon a time....

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member UncommonPosts: 1,050
    Some of the themepark game leveling phase is so short I don't think it matters.  But they do have gear level...  I think GW2 is something close.  Easy to level to max level but no item level on gear.
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 733
    whats the point?

with no reward for one's success or loss for one's failures all you have is a graphical chat program with emotes. . .
    AlBQuirkyJeffSpicolibcbully
    Arterius said:
    I never played it but isnt Secret World toted as a MMO with no leveling 

It has levels in disguise, gear levels which effectively determine your level. So weapons and talisman upgrades for the most part determine your level.
    ArteriusOctagon7711rojoArcueidgunklacker
  • Prime_DirectivePrime_Directive Member RarePosts: 1,051
    edited May 28
    Imagine having the Vanguard card game as a way to progress with npc  but have much larger decks - diplomacy only

Fighting would be  done through learning , take BDO control system completely open end with no guard rails. Morphing and molding combination as you go, no one character would be able to copy another  because of the variations of key press  would differ playu to player / Real anti cheat required, no macro boards

The only real "level" would be net worth so investing in proper and cities  would benefit players so they don't lose assets in full loot pvp. 

off the cuff 
    There is a multiverse inside our minds which millions live.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 1,948
    BTW , i think this kind of design could work if monster drop digital money that worth real cash .

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 11,666
    jusomdude said:
    Could this work? Like if a player was placed in the world at max level and gear was all cosmetic. Personally tired of leveling in MMOs and would rather have a game with MMO like combat where I can log in and PvP without being stuck behind XP, and or, gear walls walls every time I wanna try something new. Leveling really doesn't do much for me. I don't like my character anymore just because I leveled them.

I think it would be cool to have an open world MMO with no leveling. Just log in and do what you want without worrying about power levels.
    ...you don't want what you think you want.
    ArteriusKyleran
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 5,241
    I enjoy improving my character in a game, watching them grow. It's why I play games. Improving their skills and abilities as they learn is the number one activity I look for in a game. That's just me, though.

Generally speaking, I think this idea would skyrocket because that is basically what the playerbase wants right now... "Right Now!" So many rush to endgame now, bypassing the journey, that I think this concept has a great appeal.
    Gdemami

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AparitionAparition Member UncommonPosts: 91
    ye, its called real life, take a walk outside for a bit
    JeffSpicoli

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 10,765
    There have been several examples already of MMO's without 'levelling' but its a feature normally attributed to sandbox games,  probably the two most well known, if you can call it that, examples are Eve Online and SWG pre-CU.  :/
    Gdemami
  • skadadskadad Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Imagine having the Vanguard card game as a way to progress with npc  but have much larger decks - diplomacy only

Fighting would be  done through learning , take BDO control system completely open end with no guard rails. Morphing and molding combination as you go, no one character would be able to copy another  because of the variations of key press  would differ playu to player / Real anti cheat required, no macro boards

The only real "level" would be net worth so investing in proper and cities  would benefit players so they don't lose assets in full loot pvp. 

off the cuff 
    No matter how many combinations there are, there will always be fotm/best/meta ones etc.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 5,393
    I enjoy leveling my characters up. I also like building out their skills and stats, and obtaining/choosing their gear. It's a big part of why I play.

I certainly don't just want to play Barbie and Ken dress up with cosmetic gear. 
    AlBQuirkyAmaranthar

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• DwaaawffulDwaaawfful Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Sounds like an average call to tech support.
    Gdemami
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,692
    Worlds Adrift has a variant.

Where your character doesn't advance in things like stats, but instead advances in what they can craft.  It's nice being able to have a few hour newbie added to a crew with 100 hour vets.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,755
    edited May 28
    Aparition said:
    ye, its called real life, take a walk outside for a bit
    But even RL has leveling. My wife issued a early morning EPIC QUEST Yesterday of grilling for 8 people & my cooking skill was  leveled by +2 evident by the perfectly charred outside crust of the steaks while the inside was pink and juicy... Sadly this quest didn't reward any gold or beer just cooking XP & a sweaty forehead....
    UngoodAlBQuirkyRueTheWhirlAmarantharArterius
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,755
    I love the leveling aspect in MMO's, its my favorite part tbh.
    AlBQuirky
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 364
    makes no sence with no reward system. a bunch of donkeys without carrots, nope.
    iixviiiixfoxgirlgunklackerKyleran