Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question

KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820

Is this game populated still?

How old is it?

Expansions?

Gold box?

Fun?

Better than DAoC?

Kiamde

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

Comments

• GetsomeGetsome Member Posts: 52

Yes this game is still quite popular, Rubi-Ka Atlantean server has the most people.

This game is almost 3 years old if I'm not mistaken, I started back in November of 2002.

Shadowlands expansion just came out a little over a month ago and it has all you need to play, ie. Anarchy original game plus Notum was expansion.

In terms of fun yes I would say it is. I had 2 accounts and I have 4 Chars over 160 my highest 2 are 178 Martial Artist & 183 Soldier.

Now comparing AO to DAOC is like comparing Apples and Oranges. DAOC has much better PVP rules with better balance. AO is a much faster game play not so much camping till you get to high-end lvl like 150+ in level. I loved AO because of the sci-fi aspect of it that reminded my of cyberpunk and also that you don't have to sit and med. You have Nano/mana kits that you use when you sit to regen your mana pool and Hitpoints.

I recently quit due to the expansion was not completely fixed and most of my guildmates left. I'm sure a new person that starts AO now and by the time they get to high level things will be great. When you get to high level it gets quite boring doing missions over and over for xp.

• QuaduceQuaduce Member Posts: 59

The game has a huge population. Lotsa people on specialy during the day and later evening.

Ya its a bit over 3 years i think

If you buy shadowlands, it included notum wars and the accual game and a free month.

I dunno what you mean by fun really. The most fun i had onthe game was lvling, finding new loot and rares, partying with people and such. Later on i loved PKing, i was always around to gank some unsuspecting fool image There is literaly too much to explore. I never fully found everything or when everywhere, and the shadowlands expansion is suposedly as big as Rubi-Ka itself. So if you like exploring, youll have alot of fun. There are also TONS of monsters to fight. Alot of classes and races to choose from, there are tons of items weapons and armors to get and to find aswell. There are alot of skills you can use too, so you can have fun w/ all types of classes that do differnt things.

I for one dont really see why people like daoc so much. I for one couldnt stand the game. The controls were horrable, and you couldnt change them without leaveing the game. The gfx are pretty shotty, same with the sound effects, and the spell effects too. Anotehr thing i hated was how every freakin race looked the same, like, you couldnt make your character really stand out, besides a few slight changes like hight, and faces, everyone thats your race pretty much looke dexactly the same as you unless wearing diff armor. And if they were the same class, they would be wearing the same armor, since there arnt really any more than one path for a class to take. If someone else is the same race and class as you, they are pretty much exactly the same as you with only a few slight differnces. On AO its totaly different, you can be the same side class and race, and be completly different. Lots of skill to choose from, many paths to take, thats why i liked AO.

The PVP of DAOC is alot more balanced. On AO they are still all fubar. A trader, of all things, will dominate in pvp no matter what pretty much. You would think Martial Artists, Enforcers, and Soldiers would, since they are fighter-like classes that are ment to accel in combat, but they dont, not saying they suck either tho. But the fighting system of DAOC is just dumb. Its alot similar to AO i guess, but the attack animations of DAOC are just plain...bleh, no eye candy. Just the same repeating attack movement over and over. And the sound effects are just as bad.

DAOC was alot easyer to get the hang of. I pretty much got it down in a couple of hours of playing. After that there isnt too much to figure out really, its pretty basic. On AO youll be confused when it comes to using Nano Crystals, NCU, implants, and all that unless you read a guide on them or someone helps you. It took me along time to figure everything out on AO, and as i lvled, i found new things and had to learn more. Wich kept it interesting, but sometimes frustrating. Both are a snore at higher lvls when it comes to lvling really. DAOC has a lvl cap of 50, AO has a lvl cap of 220. Both take a VERY long time to get to.

Its up to you really. I sugest you post again, telling what mmorpgs you played before, what you liked about them. And what you like about mmorpgs, and what interests you in daoc and AO. Also tell us what kind of player you are. Do you like to role play? Do you like to play casual? Do you like to PK alot of people? Do you like to search out rare loot? Just to give us an idea of what kinda mmorpg player you are image