Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com : General : Rune II & Its Epic Games Store Exclusivity Explained

13»

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited May 2019

Torval said:

SBFord said:

Kalafax said:

When Epics Game Store gets all the extrs Features Steam has, such as a community feeds/forums, Stat tracker, Family Game Sharing, Community Modding workshop, and many other facets of Steam that have made it the great that it is today ( and one of the reasons they can charge the extra percentages they ask for ), then I will give Epic a shot. As of now Epics Game Shop is just a hollow shell of an online shop, with barely any games, and most of the ones on it are garbage, and it doesnt even come close to comparing to any other Game Shop platform.

You can, in fact, keep track of the development roadmap and check out all the planned features for EGS:

https://trello.com/b/GXLc34hk/epic-games-store-roadmap

Why these guys are given a pass is beyond me. They're a multibillion dollar company. We wouldn't and haven't put up with this from EA or Ubisoft and the likes, but Epic gets a pass. They have the resources, but they just don't value the customer experience. Sweeney himself is on record for plainly stating as much.

Itch.io is an indie store front that caters especially to indies. Despite their size they offer good incentives for studios/publishers while still caring about the consumer as well. Even though they're small they still offer native Linux and Mac clients, along with Windows, to make purchasers feel welcome. They don't have Steam features, but they're actually small and not cash rich unlike Epic. They get a pass because they're actually trying, progressing, and succeeding with no Fortnite bankroll.

Why are we treating a multibillion dollar company that is over 40% owned by the worlds biggest publisher like they're a struggling indie that finds web dev hard?

I don't believe it's that this store gets a pass and the other stores didn't. It's an overall experience, and it's also the games available.  Origins exclusivity was hokey at best. There weren't a lot of games that were exclusive, and it was the same situation, the games that were exclusive that people wanted to play, they went to origin to play them. 

Epic is different because they have a lot of exclusive released titles.  

I still don't understand it... a store is a store.  You aren't being forced to drive 30 minutes to get a different item, you're literally typing in a different web address. 

I care nothing for steam. Not over any other store.  At best you can look at the reviews before you buy a game and hope that they give you what you're looking for, at worst, jaded gamers lash out at developers and tank their scores.  Steam never seems to put games in my queue that interest me.  I don't care about the achievements, cards and nonsense like that.. it's bloat.

I go to stores to buy games, and then I play the games.  Apparently other people feel differently, and all that amounts to, is that they won't get to play some games when they release.  They've made their decision, they shouldn't complain about it.

And their decision to not play it will lead to things like with THQ for the first time ever saying the Metro sold more on Console than on PC, and him dodging the question of how well PC actually did. Indie games will be saved by Epic, but they will gain no fame, half the indie shit on Epic I have no idea what it is and until i accidentally let Epic store boot the other day I didn't know half of them existed. I don't like Bloat, I have all of these stupid launchers installed but the only 2 allowed to auto boot are Steam and B.net. Sure I have decided I wont play a game and sure that means I dont get to play it on launch, but guess what that also means? Devs get 0 money from me, they get 0 word of mouth to my friends, and they get 0 money from them. I had been excited for World War Z, didn't even know it came out until like 3 weeks after it did, and I still didn't buy it because at that point I had new games that caught my attention on Steam. Acting like the only thing that happens is some people dont get to play a game is wrong, not only will they play it, but they will play it without paying for it, or they will just write it off completely and not care and that hurts the devs more id say 70% more than a 30% cut steam takes.
    Bitches about a game launcher with multiple studios' worth of games in the library, admits without frustration he allows B.net to auto-launch, which is restricted to Blizzard and two Activision titles for the entire library.

Seems legit.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Torval said:
    Torval said:
    SBFord said:
    Kalafax said:
    When Epics Game Store gets all the extrs Features Steam has, such as a community feeds/forums, Stat tracker, Family Game Sharing, Community Modding workshop, and many other facets of Steam that have made it the great that it is today ( and one of the reasons they can charge the extra percentages they ask for ), then I will give Epic a shot. As of now Epics Game Shop is just a hollow shell of an online shop, with barely any games, and most of the ones on it are garbage, and it doesnt even come close to comparing to any other Game Shop platform.
    You can, in fact, keep track of the development roadmap and check out all the planned features for EGS:

https://trello.com/b/GXLc34hk/epic-games-store-roadmap
    Why these guys are given a pass is beyond me. They're a multibillion dollar company. We wouldn't and haven't put up with this from EA or Ubisoft and the likes, but Epic gets a pass. They have the resources, but they just don't value the customer experience. Sweeney himself is on record for plainly stating as much.

Itch.io is an indie store front that caters especially to indies. Despite their size they offer good incentives for studios/publishers while still caring about the consumer as well. Even though they're small they still offer native Linux and Mac clients, along with Windows, to make purchasers feel welcome. They don't have Steam features, but they're actually small and not cash rich unlike Epic. They get a pass because they're actually trying, progressing, and succeeding with no Fortnite bankroll.

Why are we treating a multibillion dollar company that is over 40% owned by the worlds biggest publisher like they're a struggling indie that finds web dev hard?
    I don't believe it's that this store gets a pass and the other stores didn't. It's an overall experience, and it's also the games available.  Origins exclusivity was hokey at best. There weren't a lot of games that were exclusive, and it was the same situation, the games that were exclusive that people wanted to play, they went to origin to play them. 

Epic is different because they have a lot of exclusive released titles.  

I still don't understand it... a store is a store.  You aren't being forced to drive 30 minutes to get a different item, you're literally typing in a different web address. 

I care nothing for steam. Not over any other store.  At best you can look at the reviews before you buy a game and hope that they give you what you're looking for, at worst, jaded gamers lash out at developers and tank their scores.  Steam never seems to put games in my queue that interest me.  I don't care about the achievements, cards and nonsense like that.. it's bloat.

I go to stores to buy games, and then I play the games.  Apparently other people feel differently, and all that amounts to, is that they won't get to play some games when they release.  They've made their decision, they shouldn't complain about it.
    Yes, it does matter to me because I'm not a Windows user. I get that I'm in the minority and that Windows users are the majority... for now. I get why you wouldn't and don't care and want me to shut up. Why should you? You get what you want at no apparent disadvantage to yourself.
    Well that explains everything. As a linux user no doubt you have a lot to complain about XD 

I'm just saying, people are here complaining games are exclusive to a particular store.  But the question is, why do they have such an issue? 

Are they beholden to steam?  Is it because the Epic Store is blocked in their region? Their parents payment details are only saved in Steam? 

I'm not trying to hurt anyones personal feelings or whatever the case may be.  I'm just saying, that in most cases, people are blowing this out of proportion. 

It's similar to a game... lets say, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, that is a Switch Exclusive title.  Many people are mad that it's not on their preferred platform.  This kind of exclusivity has been around for decades though, and it's very system specific. 

That's not the same thing for PC's though.  While you may run linux, as you said, the majority doesn't. Many of the people complaining are arguing over a URL.  Nobody is making them go to Epic to buy games, and maybe the games they love aren't coming to steam anytime soon, but we're not asking them to buy a Switch to play them.

Even you, if you wanted, you could load Windows 10 right now, you don't even need to buy a license key, you could load it up and use it indefinitely without one.

But we all make our choices... I just always make mine FOR the games I want to play. I don't see Epic and Steam being a rivalry. I have no dogs in no races, I'm going to go where the games are.  

Even if they show up as linux exclusives ;) 
    Right now Epic store is basically Origin store at a slightly larger scale. Some people find it a similar annoyance, others avoid it the same way they avoid EA games in general.

As for a rivalry between Epic and Steam, unfortunately it doesn't exist yet, nor is likely to exist while Epic store is in such a poor state. The clear sign that Epic will have any kind of actual relevance and market power is when people actually choose to purchase a game when given a choice between Epic and somebody else. As things are right now, the Epic store market power is practically zero.

(One of the reasons I will never touch iPhones is because they do not allow software installation outside their own locked ecosystem.)
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    On a separate note, it's interesting to see how few views these Epic vs the world discussions get lately. 
  • YumeTsukaiYumeTsukai Member UncommonPosts: 40

SBFord said:

Torval said:

I don't get the big deal but, then again, I don't care where games land. *shrugs*

Of course you don't... otherwise your "epic friends" might just abandon you. It's sad how "games journalists" or whatever it is that you aim to be, claim to be so ignorant on the current trends. Instead of advocating for the better of the gaming industry and gamers as a whole, getting pros and cons as objectively as possible, what we get are pathetic lines like the above. This one is great as well:

"Epic is different because they have a lot of exclusive released titles. "

Chinese bots aside, you'd think there was a reason no one "held games hostage" on a certain store for a certain period of time until now. Was it... common sense... basic decency... ? Not even EA or Ubisoft managed to get into that black hole. AT LEAST THEY HAD THEIR OWN GAMES TO PUBLISH ON THEIR STORES.

"Oh but I don't care about stores, it's just another click on your desktop". I can only wish you that at some point you'll be forced to download every single game from individual stores. And when something breaks, I'd really love to watch you have to install 100 launchers from zero. "It's just a few more clicks, boys!"

Keep at it. But remember, ignorance is a sin.
    MadFrenchie
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041

SBFord said:

Torval said:

I don't get the big deal but, then again, I don't care where games land. *shrugs*

Of course you don't... otherwise your "epic friends" might just abandon you. It's sad how "games journalists" or whatever it is that you aim to be, claim to be so ignorant on the current trends. Instead of advocating for the better of the gaming industry and gamers as a whole, getting pros and cons as objectively as possible, what we get are pathetic lines like the above. This one is great as well:

Chinese bots aside, you'd think there was a reason no one "held games hostage" on a certain store for a certain period of time until now. Was it... common sense... basic decency... ? Not even EA or Ubisoft managed to get into that black hole. AT LEAST THEY HAD THEIR OWN GAMES TO PUBLISH ON THEIR STORES.

"Oh but I don't care about stores, it's just another click on your desktop". I can only wish you that at some point you'll be forced to download every single game from individual stores. And when something breaks, I'd really love to watch you have to install 100 launchers from zero. "It's just a few more clicks, boys!"

Yeah, lets discredit the poster when you don’t like their opinion. A cheap and sad tactic, fortunately around here there are very few ignorant people indeed so they can see straight through that. Completely yawn worthy: “Yawn.”.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    gervaise1
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited May 2019

SBFord said:

Torval said:

Even if she did have a different launcher for every game, she could just click the fucking game icon on her desktop and it'll launch the appropriate launcher for that game without her even having to think about it.

How do I know this?  Because that's what MMORPG gamers have been doing since the dawn of the goddamn genre.  So fear-monger more about some bullshit.
    Sovrath

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    It won't matter, cry babies still gonna be cry babies. Logical thinking and explanations don't matter in this social media world, only cool kid internet points.
    MadFrenchie
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    This fight again? lol.

In fairness though I don't see any positives for consumers in having Epic exclusives and a couple of negatives (no cloud saves, no Linux support) so I get why some are annoyed by it although some of the outlandish Tencent yellow menace racist fear mongering stuff is just crazy shit.

Another launcher for some games... no biggie for me and it won't stop me from buying something there if it's only there. I'll just have to back-up my saves when unistalling - a hassle after years of not having to do so with any of my other launchers (which include Steam, Battlenet, GOG, Bethesda and Origin.) Not a deal breaker though.

What I don't understand is the commitment of some here to defend Epic exclusives against even legitimately annoyed posters when there is nothing positive for consumers in the exclusivity scheme.

I thought most of us here were game consumers...
    MadFrenchie
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Iselin said:
    This fight again? lol.

In fairness though I don't see any positives for consumers in having Epic exclusives and a couple of negatives (no cloud saves, no Linux support) so I get why some are annoyed by it although some of the outlandish Tencent yellow menace racist fear mongering stuff is just crazy shit.

Another launcher for some games... no biggie for me and it won't stop me from buying something there if it's only there. I'll just have to back-up my saves when unistalling - a hassle after years of not having to do so with any of my other launchers (which include Steam, Battlenet, GOG, Bethesda and Origin.) Not a deal breaker though.

What I don't understand is the commitment of some here to defend Epic exclusives against even legitimately annoyed posters when there is nothing positive for consumers in the exclusivity scheme.

I thought most of us here were game consumers...
    Cloud saves due to be added this month (May). Linux support has, I believe, been added with the help of the Linux group Lutris - the store is available on Linux anyway. 
    MadFrenchieIselin
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I still don't have a Nintendo Switch but when Shin Megami Tensei V releases i will definitely purchase one for it.

It's the same situation with the Epic Store, right? No? You don't have to buy a new PC to run the Epic Store? good lord why are we still complaining about this nonsense then?
    MadFrenchie

• NordicApacheNordicApache Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Well, this sucks.