Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Classic professions and economy, your thoughts ?

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
Whats your thoughts on professions,  It's a hard choice as you can only take two major ones ?

My opinion (I'll keep it short)
Crafting professions are a funny thing. I feel the system could have been done much better, BUT IT'S AMAZING how good it keeps the economy and Auction house alive !

I don't like to craft in any game, too much of a time sink that keeps me away from adventuring.  However a player would starve without taking two professions.  I play with the mindset of harvesting to supply the crafters.

Economy,
They hit the mark and nailed it on their first try.  Classic World of Warcraft had a perfect balance of combat difficulty with skill and gear.  Games today have no need for crafting as their easy along with everything given to the player. Add that the player out levels everything in one hour.  

At low levels you had no money, you ran around with all trash gear (white), but as you hit level 17 you needed better stuff, but at the same time most would have the perfect wealth to afford what you needed from the auction house.  Better yet, around 17 is when you could run dungeons and collect better stuff (greens and blues).  Keep what you need sell the rest. 

Everything about this game is well balanced !
Hyperpsycrow

Comments

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    it was (is) well balanced, indeed. 
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    TBF, if there was one thing i'd want to complain in classic WoW it would be crafting. I've always thought crafting feels kind of rushed and unpolished system in this game. Have you ever crafted a green quality weapon as a blacksmith? That's right, me neither. The mats are insanely expensive, just go AH and buy a better one at half price.

How about first aid and cooking then? You can make bandages of various level and they all work in the same way. Same with the antidotes, and they are even fewer than bandages. How come they don't need other mats than cloth and spider venom? Cooking recipes are all the same. Some are good for regen health but most of them gives you a nice buff, but it's always +spi + sta with only a handful of exceptions.

Enchanting? There is not a single low level enchant that makes any difference. It's so underwhelming it's not even funny. You keep de'ing greens for dust and shards only to level up this prof and hope some day you can make +7 weapon damage or the crusader.

I could go on and on. It certainly seems like the development ran out of time and they just had to put something together, and even then they managed to do better work than many other MMORPGs have done. But balanced..? No way.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    deniter said:
    TBF, if there was one thing i'd want to complain in classic WoW it would be crafting. I've always thought crafting feels kind of rushed and unpolished system in this game. Have you ever crafted a green quality weapon as a blacksmith? That's right, me neither. The mats are insanely expensive, just go AH and buy a better one at half price.

How about first aid and cooking then? You can make bandages of various level and they all work in the same way. Same with the antidotes, and they are even fewer than bandages. How come they don't need other mats than cloth and spider venom? Cooking recipes are all the same. Some are good for regen health but most of them gives you a nice buff, but it's always +spi + sta with only a handful of exceptions.

Enchanting? There is not a single low level enchant that makes any difference. It's so underwhelming it's not even funny. You keep de'ing greens for dust and shards only to level up this prof and hope some day you can make +7 weapon damage or the crusader.

I could go on and on. It certainly seems like the development ran out of time and they just had to put something together, and even then they managed to do better work than many other MMORPGs have done. But balanced..? No way.
    I was trying to be nice but I agree, however I'm not much of a crafter in any mmorpg. It always seems people making weapons and armor are always behind in their level for what they make.  It doesn't help they need to be totally up to date with their harvesting for each zone to collect the mats.

Now this is where I come in, I make a killing on selling hurbs, skins or ore to those that try :) 
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    deniter said:

I was trying to be nice but I agree, however I'm not much of a crafter in any mmorpg. It always seems people making weapons and armor are always behind in their level for what they make.  It doesn't help they need to be totally up to date with their harvesting for each zone to collect the mats.

Now this is where I come in, I make a killing on selling hurbs, skins or ore to those that try :) 
    Hehe, don't get me wrong, i love this game but nothing is perfect. Somehow they managed to keep content relevant for all levels but this was a small bump in the road. :)

I'll probably do the same in the beginning and level up blacksmithing later. First character on a fresh server is always the toughest one.
  • Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    edited May 2019
    The thing often forgetton with classic, is that you had to use a craft slot for gathering , some games (excuse me if im wrong but WoW more recently is also in the list ) that dont count gathering as part of professions, but back in classic it was.
    so if you were doing Alchemy then you need herbing :dizzy:

Now, when it goes live i will do (what most might) is take both herbing and Skinning and gather like mad to sell the mats, then as i get higher up the food chain then move to either Leather Working or alchemy (Quaz since 2008 has had max alchemy even today still does whilst he rests in limbo of no account)
    The cooking is a guarantee it used to make nice money on AH so was handy to level up as you go and of course the obvious buffs, 
    First Aid is a given as it saves 100s of gold in long run over taking pots or food to regen health (but for me its not that important as i will be a shammy , and res shammy at top levels )
    But, First aid helped me get my first mount back in the days, i used to buy the super cheap cloth and make it into bandages to then sell at vendor as a profit could be had at right price, and yes i was also found making 1000s of bandages on top of ogrimmar bank :)

But, does WoW do it right, i think with the game industry as it was, its not far wrong, has it been done better since then yes of course (my all time has the single best crafting / industry which is EvE) 

WoW's market used to be decent and looking forward to each server having their own market as it will make some interesting pricing and profit to be had :hushed:   

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

edited May 2019
    Quazal.A said:
    The thing often forgetton with classic, is that you had to use a craft slot for gathering , some games (excuse me if im wrong but WoW more recently is also in the list ) that dont count gathering as part of professions, but back in classic it was.
    so if you were doing Alchemy then you need herbing :dizzy:

Now, when it goes live i will do (what most might) is take both herbing and Skinning and gather like mad to sell the mats, then as i get higher up the food chain then move to either Leather Working or alchemy (Quaz since 2008 has had max alchemy even today still does whilst he rests in limbo of no account)
    The cooking is a guarantee it used to make nice money on AH so was handy to level up as you go and of course the obvious buffs, 
    First Aid is a given as it saves 100s of gold in long run over taking pots or food to regen health (but for me its not that important as i will be a shammy , and res shammy at top levels )
    But, First aid helped me get my first mount back in the days, i used to buy the super cheap cloth and make it into bandages to then sell at vendor as a profit could be had at right price, and yes i was also found making 1000s of bandages on top of ogrimmar bank :)

But, does WoW do it right, i think with the game industry as it was, its not far wrong, has it been done better since then yes of course (my all time has the single best crafting / industry which is EvE) 

WoW's market used to be decent and looking forward to each server having their own market as it will make some interesting pricing and profit to be had :hushed:   

After reading this it got me thinking how to make crafting the most viable and efficient as it could be.  Thats given the fact that crafting is not a good source of money to save for your FIRST MOUNT ON YOUR FIRST CHARACTER.

The key to it NOT being efficient is in your opening statement... Thank you, never realized that.
    "A crafting profession uses up one valuable slot of the given two"

But their is a second problem associated with NOT being efficient.  Material gathering is stunted or held back by harvest gathering level.  It gets worst !!!..... Your adventuring level prevents you from going to higher level zones to gather the good stuff.

Crafting on first character is simply NOT GOOD.   

With this in mind:
    Your second character could feed off your first harvester character. More efficient is to resist the temptation to make two characters simultaneously, but one to a higher level then start the other.

Even then, your second character will not be a money maker by crafting until higher levels.

Their is another alternative. Guild members or a crafting and harvesting network could supply the materials.  This could be fun if this is your style of play and you don't consider the work involved as a negative.  Extremely non-efficient, but a lifestyle alternative..... Much luck is involved on ultimately making 90 gold by level 40 depending on knowing this art and others involved.  It's also a way of being social :)  

Most efficient would be:
    1 )  Start with a free mount class (Paladin or Warlock).
    2 )  Skinning and Herbalism or Mining.
    3 )  Play the auction house to gain income for second character with materials.
    4 )  If done right, your second character should be rich from level one.
    5 )  Become more wealthy with second character by crafting.
    6 )  Your first character can supply all the high end needs for materials.
    7 )  Your third character can do the fun crafting, such as engineering or enchanting. As long as your first two bank and save the rare findings they accumulate through adventuring. 

12 slot bags and up is one good source. However I'm sure others know the money makers better than I do.
    Post edited by delete5230 on
  • AxxarAxxar Member UncommonPosts: 104
    I’m going Alchemy and Herbalism. This way I can craft my own raid consumables.
    NorseGodjimmywolf[Deleted User]
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Got the feeling all the people planning to do gathering only are soon going to realize that a good population of other people are planning the same thing.  It will not be like when the game first came out where you could bank by doing that most likely.  The prices will drop fast for items within just a couple weeks most likely. 

They are also forgetting that coin didn't drop like it does now.  So if you go in thinking you can price things like they do now you will be in for a rude awakening when your stuff never sells.  If you had saved up that gold to buy your mount when you hit 40 it was because you didn't spend a dime on anything else other than repairs or ammo on your first toon.  Having that 100 gold for the basic mount at 40 was some good planning.  Don't get me started on hitting 60 an not having that full 1000 for the epic mount yet.
    jimmywolf
  • ElonMuskElonMusk Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Classic isn't vanilla enough to kill off private servers but is vanilla enough to be too grindy to scare away retail/new players. Blizzard shit the bed on this one, they should of just turned on vanilla realms and went home.
    Gyva02
    DMKano said:
    delete5230 said: 

Most efficient would be:
    1 )  Start with a free mount class (Paladin or Warlock).
    2 )  Skinning and Herbalism or Mining.
    3 )  Play the auction house to gain income for second character with materials.
    4 )  If done right, your second character should be rich from level one.
    5 )  Become more wealthy with second character by crafting.
    6 )  Your first character can supply all the high end needs for materials.
    7 )  Your third character can do the fun crafting, such as engineering or enchanting. As long as your first two bank and save the rare findings they accumulate through adventuring. 

12 slot bags and up is one good source. However I'm sure others know the money makers better than I do.

2nd, 3rd character - this is sounding like work, I hope the hourly rate is good ;)

No wonder people just buy maxed accounts for real money - because from a time investment perspective, it's probably worth it to many who have well paying jobs and not a lot of free time.
    It's a given 90 gold is hard to attain on your first character no matter how you play the economy.  It's also a given if played smart your next characters could have a much easier time.

Grind ?..... Time investment ?..... Jobs and no free time ?
    Sounds like this is ONLY A YOU PROBLEM !...... I notice you bring up no time to waist for every game mentioned.  This is truly a selfish statement you keep saying often.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    k61977 said:
    Got the feeling all the people planning to do gathering only are soon going to realize that a good population of other people are planning the same thing.  It will not be like when the game first came out where you could bank by doing that most likely.  The prices will drop fast for items within just a couple weeks most likely. 

They are also forgetting that coin didn't drop like it does now.  So if you go in thinking you can price things like they do now you will be in for a rude awakening when your stuff never sells.  If you had saved up that gold to buy your mount when you hit 40 it was because you didn't spend a dime on anything else other than repairs or ammo on your first toon.  Having that 100 gold for the basic mount at 40 was some good planning.  Don't get me started on hitting 60 an not having that full 1000 for the epic mount yet.
    Will classic have phasing? gathering was fine before phasing sorcery was added to the game.
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    BruceYee said:
    Will classic have phasing? gathering was fine before phasing sorcery was added to the game.
    Classic has layering... which is already being exploited.  Basically people can sit on a node and swap layers to see if there is a node spawned at the same location on a different layer merely by grouping and ungrouping with players.

So all the old ways of farming are now trumped by the exploit created by the modern WoW engine driving vanilla WoW.

Axxar
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523

k61977 said:

People are already inflating the prices of things on the beta server auction house.  Back in the day asking 1 gold for a Deadly Blunderbuss was the norm... expensive for that level, but the norm.  On Classic Beta they are pricing it at 4 gold.  Modern gamers playing vanilla WoW.  
    k61977
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 915
    Tailoring for selling bags.
    And Engineering for death ray :p

• malikhigh1978malikhigh1978 Member UncommonPosts: 45
    You know. I reactivated my account, because I wanted to get into the beta for classic. Then I thought, hold up, they want to simply profiteer on an old product. The pulled funding from Heroes. Starcraft is dry, Hearthstone is honestly boring, Diablo's going mobile when many of us have powerhouses of PC's for PC gaming. I think blizzard has lost their way. To add on top of it all, many within the community has actually made zones in UR4, and it looks amazing. For blizzard to relaunch WoW without a significant graphical, and perhaps concept update is stupid, and I'm not gonna buy it. Final Fantasy might be a bit more bubblegummy than what I prefer, but they actually add content that the players want, and are not trying to overmilk their community with a million microtransactions. Vote with your dollar folks!