Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Computer gaming helped kill the book industry

124»

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    @Kyleran ok so now I am trying to be helpful. It is already happy hour, but I am going to try my best! 

It is, obviously, your own choice how to spend your free time. That's why it's called 'free time', right? So years have passed by and you have realized you ain't reading any books anymore and you spend it all on video games. It is clear that you ain't happy about that, that's why you have created this thread. Don't ignore this feeling. 

So let's get back to reading. Now I tell ya, it ain't going to be easy. Because reading requires discipline, and that discipline requires practice. You got yourself go, so now you're fat and lazy. Start small, don't pledge to read a behemoth overnight because you won't then you'd be in a worse place than now and you'd hate yourself even more. Just go over a couple of pages every night, but increase it every few days or so. 

Gaming is good, it has a lot of wonderful things. Been playing video games all my life, never had a hiatus. But it's not a replacement for, well, anything. Thinking you'd get your dose of stories from games instead of literature is like believing you don't need to listen to any albums anymore and can get your music fix from video games as well. 

Do yourself this favor; Pick up a book. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Books will be making a brief comeback if George R.R. Martin finishes his last two.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    @Kyleran ok so now I am trying to be helpful. It is already happy hour, but I am going to try my best! 

It is, obviously, your own choice how to spend your free time. That's why it's called 'free time', right? So years have passed by and you have realized you ain't reading any books anymore and you spend it all on video games. It is clear that you ain't happy about that, that's why you have created this thread. Don't ignore this feeling. 

So let's get back to reading. Now I tell ya, it ain't going to be easy. Because reading requires discipline, and that discipline requires practice. You got yourself go, so now you're fat and lazy. Start small, don't pledge to read a behemoth overnight because you won't then you'd be in a worse place than now and you'd hate yourself even more. Just go over a couple of pages every night, but increase it every few days or so. 

Gaming is good, it has a lot of wonderful things. Been playing video games all my life, never had a hiatus. But it's not a replacement for, well, anything. Thinking you'd get your dose of stories from games instead of literature is like believing you don't need to listen to any albums anymore and can get your music fix from video games as well. 

I listen to Pillars of Eternity 2 soundtrack outside of the game.  The music is that good.

The Last of Us is as good an emotional ride as any book I've ever read.  And before you say it: I've read classics and moderns, from no-names to the likes of Stephen King.

Video games can contain music and narrative on par with other mediums.  That it doesn't do so more often is depressing, though.
    ConstantineMerus

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338

I listen to Pillars of Eternity 2 soundtrack outside of the game.  The music is that good.

The Last of Us is as good an emotional ride as any book I've ever read.  And before you say it: I've read classics and moderns, from no-names to the likes of Stephen King.

Video games can contain music and narrative on par with other mediums.  That it doesn't do so more often is depressing, though.
    I didn't mean stories or music of video games are less valuable. It's about different mediums and incomparable experiences of stories. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    I took a long break from MMos to read more. I read more now. Started to read comics because they more accessible today with EComics. 
    Kyleran

Philosophy of MMO Game Design