Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Classic servers be "authentic" in every way?

2»

Comments

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,048
    edited May 22
    From what I've experienced so far in the beta, the gameplay is exactly the same than in WoW 1.12 back then.

The only thing that changes but is 100% optional is that you can crank the graphic quality higher than in Vanilla. That doesn't affect gameplay at all.

PS: I never needed to buy gold to get my mounts and stuff... go figure.
    mcrippinsGaladournGyva02
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 309
    Rhoklaw said:
    Ungood said:
    As long as they have same level of salty tears about how much the classic game sucked and needed to change, which caused it change in the first place.. I don't care what else they do.. as that is the most entertaining part of games.. watching everyone cry about how this game needs to be like this other game, but that other games that they want this game to be like sucked so much they had to leave.

Let that process.
    I think you're confused. World of Warcraft WAS the trendsetter. It didn't look to other games for ideas. The only reason things changed is because of lazy people complaining about time constraints. Which if anyone who played Classic EQ and than Classic WoW would know, was a drop in the bucket. Most of WoW's changes, including that god awful LFD finder was the beginning of the end. Stop playing it like a game and enjoy the damn environments. I'm beginning to wonder if 90% of gamers today can even read a book past chapter 1 before giving up.
    Should've made a TLDR note for your post, because those same gamers stopped reading your post after the first sentence.  
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Rhoklaw said:
    Ungood said:
    As long as they have same level of salty tears about how much the classic game sucked and needed to change, which caused it change in the first place.. I don't care what else they do.. as that is the most entertaining part of games.. watching everyone cry about how this game needs to be like this other game, but that other games that they want this game to be like sucked so much they had to leave.

Let that process.
    I think you're confused. World of Warcraft WAS the trendsetter. It didn't look to other games for ideas. The only reason things changed is because of lazy people complaining about time constraints. Which if anyone who played Classic EQ and than Classic WoW would know, was a drop in the bucket. Most of WoW's changes, including that god awful LFD finder was the beginning of the end. Stop playing it like a game and enjoy the damn environments. I'm beginning to wonder if 90% of gamers today can even read a book past chapter 1 before giving up.
    I think you are confused on how WoW was made, it looked to every game in the genre and took what worked well and put it all together in a miraculous way.  Just like Everquest did the same before it (Focusing on MUDs and RPGs).  The inspiration of genre itself and not just focusing on the greatest contender is what made WoW what it was.
    Torval
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
    Haha, always that "but all Blizzard do is copy" argument to bash WoW.
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 5,745
    WoW is more than the sum of its parts. Sure it has many of the same things as other fantasy games - that is to be expected. But it had many things that are fairly unique to it. Just as a few examples:

1. The artstyle;
    2. The music;
    3. The quest system (with "!" assistance );
    4.  A LOT of humor and lightheartedness in the quest stories;
    5.  A LOT of pop cultural references;
    6.  Extensive use of instancing;
    7.  The whole white - green - blue - purple thing we now take for granted;
    8.  Changes to quest mob spawning;

There are a 100 more. It's not just a watered down cut and paste.

Jean-Luc_Picard

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Amathe said:
    WoW is more than the sum of its parts. Sure it has many of the same things as other fantasy games - that is to be expected. But it had many things that are fairly unique to it. Just as a few examples:

1. The artstyle;
    2. The music;
    3. The quest system (with "!" assistance );
    4.  A LOT of humor and lightheartedness in the quest stories;
    5.  A LOT of pop cultural references;
    6.  Extensive use of instancing;
    7.  The whole white - green - blue - purple thing we now take for granted;
    8.  Changes to quest mob spawning;

There are a 100 more. It's not just a watered down cut and paste.

3. was not visible on the map back then, only on the NPC head. It turned into down dumbing only later.
    7. already existed in EQ, DAoC and AO. It's really the only thing they simply "copied".
    6. AO did it before, but WoW perfected it. And the vast majority world is still not instanced. It's not Guild Wars 1.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 33,980
    From what I've experienced so far in the beta, the gameplay is exactly the same than in WoW 1.12 back then.

The only thing that changes but is 100% optional is that you can crank the graphic quality higher than in Vanilla. That doesn't affect gameplay at all.

Single man, married but no children? If so, makes sense.

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited May 22
    Kyleran said:

Smart gamer, been gaming since 80s, using the AH to his advantage.
    Axxar

mcrippins said:
    Kinda sad.. earning the 900/1000g for the epic mount was quite an achievement in the early days of WoW. Buying the gold cheated yourself out of that. Oh well.
    Meh, I was busy raiding, got to the Twin Emps before BC blew it all away.

We all value different sorts of achievements for various reasons.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,614
    Is there diminishing returns on CC or can rogues just stun lock you to death?
    Kyleran said:

Yeah, yeah, did the same myself in the 2nd go around, but still.....you didn't address my question.....

;)

• parrotpholkparrotpholk Member EpicPosts: 4,602
    DrunkWolf said:
    Is there diminishing returns on CC or can rogues just stun lock you to death?
    If they are going with a carbon copy of classic then stun locking will be a thing.
    Torval
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

Yeah, yeah, did the same myself in the 2nd go around, but still.....you didn't address my question.....

;)
    Wrong all the way. Back then my family life was much more complicated than now (I was 35).

I'm still surprised you make that kind of assumptions, it's usually the last weapon of people like "Delete"...
    TEKK3NGdemamiAxxar

• TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 733
    The only people that will be disappointed a bit, would be people who played on the Pservers, as they generally crank up the difficulty to EQ level rather than vanilla WoW.

edited May 23
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

;)
    Wrong all the way. Back then my family life was much more complicated than now (I was 35).

I'm still surprised you make that kind of assumptions, it's usually the last weapon of people like "Delete"...
    Can't recall you ever mentioning a family life, my mistake then.  

For the most part progress in MMORPGs (in the early days) have been all about finding the time to play them.

Less time to play, normally slower progression.

I dare say most folks who purchased game gold in WOW weren't trying to "win" anything, just add some convenience to their gameplay without spending tons of time on activities they weren't interested in. 

Like playing the auction house,  almost as hateful as crafting.  ;)

• AxxarAxxar Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Classic has options for using modern graphics settings, but otherwise it looks to be as authentic as they can make it.
    KyleranJean-Luc_Picard