Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars MMO

Maximus_LacyMaximus_Lacy Member UncommonPosts: 27
Will there ever be another MMO in a Galaxy far, far away? 

(forgive me if this is a played out question as I am sure there are many Star Wars junkies in here, but I rarely/never look at these forums.)
"The end and object of conquest is to avoid doing the same thing as the conquered." - Alexander III of Macedon
HatefullTiller

Comments

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited May 2019
    Probably not seeing how there is currently one that isnt dead. SWToR
    SovrathHuntrezzgervaise1
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Yes, but it will be pretty blatantly using the Star Wars IP to try to get people to buy it without putting that much effort into making a game that is actually good.  That's the natural route for games based on non-gaming IPs, after all.
    ConstantineMerusdelete5230
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

(forgive me if this is a played out question as I am sure there are many Star Wars junkies in here, but I rarely/never look at these forums.)
    As much as I hope they (anyone except the company that has the license rights at this point) would make one in the theme of SWG, I doubt it will ever happen.

We are pretty much stuck with the emulators, SWTOR, which at best is SWish and mostly single player. Sad state of affairs. 

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 275
    All we can hope for is for Dinsey to make a SWG game with their new studo for when EA's time runs out.
    Hatefull
  • Maximus_LacyMaximus_Lacy Member UncommonPosts: 27
    It’s refreshing to see so many people still craving an SWG-style game, yet depressing to see so little confidence in there ever being something built.  :/
    "The end and object of conquest is to avoid doing the same thing as the conquered." - Alexander III of Macedon
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    You might want to look into non star wars themed but swg like in mechanics games like Fallen Earth or The Repopulation.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    It’s refreshing to see so many people still craving an SWG-style game, yet depressing to see so little confidence in there ever being something built.  :/
    Well the problem is not that many people.
    GdemamiHatefull
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Acornia said:
    All we can hope for is for Dinsey to make a SWG game with their new studo for when EA's time runs out.
    If they ever attempt to make a Star Wars mmorpg, I doubt it would be by mimicking a formula that failed in the pioneering days of mmorpgs and with minimal competition.

The first SW game in general that we'll probably get is from Respawn (Titanfall, Apex Legends).
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    They can barely pull together a Star Wars game without canceling it in development much less an MMO
    HatefullXarko
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Xasapis said:
    Acornia said:
    If they ever attempt to make a Star Wars mmorpg, I doubt it would be by mimicking a formula that failed in the pioneering days of mmorpgs and with minimal competition.

The first SW game in general that we'll probably get is from Respawn (Titanfall, Apex Legends).
    Uh, the formula was fine, it was all the people crying about how hard it was to become Jedi and the fact that they refused, for whatever reason, to fix near game breaking bugs. They just keep pumping out xpacs and leaving horrible balance issues and bugs.

If they (SOE at the time) had stopped, balanced, fixed, and then moved on after Cu and not done the NGE, that game would probably still be alive today. 

I doubt very much it would have ever seen anything approaching mind-blowing numbers, but at its core the game was awesome. It did need a lot of attention that it just didn't get, by way of fixes.
    Gdemami

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    Hatefull said:
    Xasapis said:
    Acornia said:

Uh, the formula was fine, it was all the people crying about how hard it was to become Jedi and the fact that they refused, for whatever reason, to fix near game breaking bugs. They just keep pumping out xpacs and leaving horrible balance issues and bugs.

If they (SOE at the time) had stopped, balanced, fixed, and then moved on after Cu and not done the NGE, that game would probably still be alive today. 

I doubt very much it would have ever seen anything approaching mind-blowing numbers, but at its core the game was awesome. It did need a lot of attention that it just didn't get, by way of fixes.
    Not to mention the rumor that they lost some of the design docs for the convoluted engine the game used and you one hot mess.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    I bet we get a star wars game that starts with 100 people in a star destroyer flying over a planet or moon. then people jump out when ever they want down to the ground to loot stuff so they can kill each other, with only one person surviving!

it will be totally cool and something new.
    Xasapis
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Well, it's easy to assume, looking at how SW:G ran and was built compared to MMOs made today. Too many MMO players today only want games they can beat in a month and move on. That's what sells these days. Do you really want a new SW MMORPG made with this formula?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

DrunkWolf said:
    I bet we get a star wars game that starts with 100 people in a star destroyer flying over a planet or moon. then people jump out when ever they want down to the ground to loot stuff so they can kill each other, with only one person surviving!

it will be totally cool and something new.
    I can see something like this happening only:
    • As an Imperial penal colony
    • Blood sports run by the Hutts
  • IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    edited May 2019
    SWG didn't fail it was murdered by EA when they decided it needed to be more like wow and dumbed down.
    Gdemami
    Ishkal said:
    SWG didn't fail it was murdered by EA when they decided it needed to be more like wow and dumbed down.
    If my memory did not betray me, the game peaked at some point and then the population started dropping. EA tried to stem the exodus of players by introducing the seemingly more popular elements found in WoW at the time. It didn't work.
    ConstantineMerus
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Xasapis said:
    Ishkal said:
    If my memory did not betray me, the game peaked at some point and then the population started dropping. EA tried to stem the exodus of players by introducing the seemingly more popular elements found in WoW at the time. It didn't work.
    It more than didn't work. It killed the game. Sure they might have had some population decline but the NGE was a bullet to the head. Also they released that within a week of the Trials of Obi-wan expansion and had to offer refunds. It wasn't EA that murdered it tho that was all SOE and Lucas.

As far as any new Star Wars MMO...

Probably just as likely as converting Star Citizen to a Star Wars theme and it actually having a release date. Disney would rather build an actual theme park than a virtual one. It's not going to happen until SWTOR is on it's last legs. I'm betting some analyst did the maths on a theme park or MMORPG and what makes more money. That or they just don't care. I'm not overly impressed with the new Star Wars anyway...

Zero hope I will see a good Star Wars MMORPG in my lifetime.

Gdemami

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 375
    edited May 2019
    Xasapis said:
    Ishkal said:
    Not quite.  They didn't introduce the more popular elements of WoW.  What they did, was completely swapped out all of the systems in place that separated SWG from other MMOs in place for a Star Wars - WoW edition.  Which was a bonehead move on their part.  Not because they created NGE, but because they opted to replace a pre-existing and completely different system. 

See, NGE wasn't inherently bad.  If it didn't have bad blood, it could even be fun at times.  It's why I play both the Basilisk emu for the PreCU love and Legends for the NGE content.  Both of them could be enjoyed side by side, but the problem is when you offer something to someone for x amount of years and then suddenly turn it into something completely different, while charging them monthly.  It's like selling oranges to a group of people for, say, seven years.  Then suddenly you've replaced those oranges with apples and say "Well, they're kind of like oranges.  They're both fruits."  "Well, NGE is kind of like pre-CU SWG.  They're both star wars games." -John Smedley
  • Noobmaster_95Noobmaster_95 Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Really want to see some good Star Wars game. The day it comes out I'll scream like a little girl who just saw the "It"
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I feel like Star Wars is too big & lucrative of a IP to waste time on a MMO in 2019. I would think they would go after the Fortnite/PubG market or make some mobile type Pokemon game. 
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Star Wars is a safe bet for there always being more product, whatever it is - games, theme park events (real theme park, that is), books, films, funny hats, whatever.
    AlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    edited May 2019
    Yes there will, sometime after the year 2030.
    Mark my words.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• HuntrezzHuntrezz Member UncommonPosts: 92
    The contract with EA runs out in 2023.  At that time, Disney will have the option to renew or cancel at that time.  The decision regarding the future of SW games will be decided for said amount of time with said game company.  If they don't resign with EA, the future of a SW mmo could be up for discussion with someone else.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

Google the many SWG emus out there, a few of them are well run and have new content.