Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

People are actually liking WOW Classic.

124»

Comments

  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Can we all agree that the current Blizz is not the same as older Blizz?

    I'm hoping Classic is successful, but I'm not sure if current Blizz deserves it.  :D

    I hope they pay attention to what's going to happen and learn from it in some way, and take that education and use it to course correct for BFA+.

    I've said something similar before on here I believe, too much verbal diarrhea on too many forums to remember. :o

    As of right now we know where Classic could end, and it's not pretty to a lot of people!

    Gut Out!
    Alexander.BAxxar

    What, me worry?

  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited May 2019
    Gutlard said:
    Can we all agree that the current Blizz is not the same as older Blizz?

    I'm hoping Classic is successful, but I'm not sure if current Blizz deserves it.  :D

    I hope they pay attention to what's going to happen and learn from it in some way, and take that education and use it to course correct for BFA+.

    I've said something similar before on here I believe, too much verbal diarrhea on too many forums to remember. :o

    As of right now we know where Classic could end, and it's not pretty to a lot of people!

    Gut Out!
    The issue with most of today's MMORPGs is that they long ago started eliminating things in the name of convenience, and when you do that, you start fostering a playerbase that assumes those conveniences are absolutely necessary.

    Blizzard has commented before that they lament how WoW sacrificed community for some of these things.  But it's too late to go back now, because the player base now feels entitled to those things as loyal customers, and things like flying mounts and LFG type stuff are much more obvious to players than the effects of a vibrant cooperative community.
    GutlardAxxar

    image
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I'm hoping Classic will show them that they're horrible at assuming things (most of us know this already) and the 94% of their old population didn't go anywhere, but are still around waiting for something more fun to play.

    But maybe I'm just as bad at assumptions as Blizz is!  :*

    It's like they made WoW into a non-mobile mobile game that almost plays itself and players only need to use 1-thumb, and Blizz is afraid to take the game back to 2-thumb game play! ha

    Gut Out!
    MadFrenchieAxxar

    What, me worry?

  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 2,696
    Not saying your point isn't valid but regarding vinyl albums (being a collector myself) the reason mostly is the vastly better quality not nostalgia. When it comes to audio - digital isn't superior.
     
    Digital audio as streamed over Internet or even CD quality isn't superior... until a certain point when your vinyl will be so used it sounds like crap.

    But lossless high sample rate (192 or more) and 24 bit audio is definitely superior - not only in quality, but also in the fact that it's inalterable by time.
    Depends on where does that 192/24 come from. Right now there isn't a viable source and what's out there is basically conversions from vinyl to lossless. Although many of the audiophiles use pretty neat high tech and expensive equipment to do the conversion but there's still the problem of electricity which adds a lot of noise to the mix. I don't think there ever will be a giant source of lossless files converted in perfect conditions because it is too much of a hassle and there is no want in the market. Many of the producers nowadays do their QC on CD and that's that because that's the peak quality of the 99.99% of the market would ever listen to.
    MadFrenchie
    Constantine, The Console Poster

    • "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    • Song of the Week: Blackfield by Blackfield from Blackfield (2005)
    • Currently Playing: Devil May Cry 1
    • Favorite Drink: Bruichladdich Black Art 5th 1992
    • Gaming Timeline: Arcade, Commodore 64, Amiga 500, SEGA, IBM, PS, PC, PS2, More PCs, PS3, Giant PC, PS4, No More PCs, PS4 Pro.
  • grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,156
    edited May 2019
    We'll see who is right about this honeymoon bullshit, but I know people who have been playing on alt servers for years and who were waiting for this for ages.
    Stop making assumptions, stick to facts... and maybe try the thing yourself ?
    Or people that flat out quit after Cataclysm nuked their characters with that new stupid childish dumbed down system in use today. Personally I can't wait to get back to classic and make it popular enough that Blizz branches it off as a main MMO.
    Jean-Luc_Picardmbrodie
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,109
    Albatroes said:
    People are liking to look at streams of classic? Ok.

    I think a more important issue was brought up in someone's video (I think madseason or something like that) talking about this streamer 'following.' Pretty much, if the streamer ends up quitting, the following leaves as well and given that classic is supposed to be a very 'server dependent' game, that'll result in a lot of dead servers..
    Sodapoppin and Asmongold are hardcore WoW fans, that's all they basically play.
    But they finally got sick with BFA and retail in general.

    Their love with Classic is genuine, I don't think they'll quit any time soon.
  • mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,487
    edited May 2019
    Gutlard said:
    I'm hoping Classic will show them that they're horrible at assuming things (most of us know this already) and the 94% of their old population didn't go anywhere, but are still around waiting for something more fun to play.

    But maybe I'm just as bad at assumptions as Blizz is!  :*

    It's like they made WoW into a non-mobile mobile game that almost plays itself and players only need to use 1-thumb, and Blizz is afraid to take the game back to 2-thumb game play! ha

    Gut Out!
    you know WoW didn't hit monster numbers until Wrath.. so even your 94% of the population is relatively small...

    Edit - it really is an impressive game when you think about it though... to have around 5 million players by the end of Classic and to keep growing going into TBC and Wrath like it did is a huge accomplishment...

    especially when you consider at the time that MMO gaming was still pretty niche, WoW really opened it up to mainstream gamers, i guess that was the beauty of it, the accessibility.
    parrotpholk
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,367
    mbrodie said:
    Gutlard said:
    I'm hoping Classic will show them that they're horrible at assuming things (most of us know this already) and the 94% of their old population didn't go anywhere, but are still around waiting for something more fun to play.

    But maybe I'm just as bad at assumptions as Blizz is!  :*

    It's like they made WoW into a non-mobile mobile game that almost plays itself and players only need to use 1-thumb, and Blizz is afraid to take the game back to 2-thumb game play! ha

    Gut Out!
    you know WoW didn't hit monster numbers until Wrath.. so even your 94% of the population is relatively small...

    Edit - it really is an impressive game when you think about it though... to have around 5 million players by the end of Classic and to keep growing going into TBC and Wrath like it did is a huge accomplishment...

    especially when you consider at the time that MMO gaming was still pretty niche, WoW really opened it up to mainstream gamers, i guess that was the beauty of it, the accessibility.
    By the end of vanilla WoW had around 8 million players. 94% of 8 million is about 7.5 million. Not even relatively small if you ask me. :)
    parrotpholk
  • mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,487
    edited May 2019
    deniter said:
    mbrodie said:
    Gutlard said:
    I'm hoping Classic will show them that they're horrible at assuming things (most of us know this already) and the 94% of their old population didn't go anywhere, but are still around waiting for something more fun to play.

    But maybe I'm just as bad at assumptions as Blizz is!  :*

    It's like they made WoW into a non-mobile mobile game that almost plays itself and players only need to use 1-thumb, and Blizz is afraid to take the game back to 2-thumb game play! ha

    Gut Out!
    you know WoW didn't hit monster numbers until Wrath.. so even your 94% of the population is relatively small...

    Edit - it really is an impressive game when you think about it though... to have around 5 million players by the end of Classic and to keep growing going into TBC and Wrath like it did is a huge accomplishment...

    especially when you consider at the time that MMO gaming was still pretty niche, WoW really opened it up to mainstream gamers, i guess that was the beauty of it, the accessibility.
    By the end of vanilla WoW had around 8 million players. 94% of 8 million is about 7.5 million. Not even relatively small if you ask me. :)

    no by the end of vanilla it was like 5.8 with an increase of sales that was coming in due to TBC getting launched at TBCs launch they had around 7m

    and they still sustain around those numbers now at certain parts of expansion packs, so by no means is that groundbreaking.

    that being said in wrath they hit monster numbers which they have never reproduced

    Edit - if you're going off that graph that was released, it was actually proven to be slightly wrong.. and Classic ended around 5.8 million, there is sources online to confirm.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited May 2019
    Kyleran said:
    So many of the beta players started wow in cat or later they seem to be loving the classic
    Makes sense really, many beta players are current WOW subscribers, which in order to enjoy WOW in it's current incarnation its likely you are a newer player who is unaware of how the game used to be.

    WOW may have 2-4M subscribers today, which means they have 96M former subscribers from days gone by. 

    While there is certainly some players who have enjoyed WOW since 2004 until present, my guess is it is a much, much smaller subset of the total.


    The 100 million subscribers you are getting at was a number Blizzard posted in 2013.  Six years later, the number of former subscribers is probably closer to 140 million.  Also, based on the subscription revenue from WoW posted in their last earnings statement, the current subscriber base is closer to 6-7 million, not 2-4 million.  
    How did you arrive at 6-7M? Doesn't mean they haven't had 140M accounts btw since they will have added accounts since they gave out the 100M figure.

    For reference AB reported Blizzard's net revenue figure by segment of $252M. (This is the figure allowing for the -$90M of deferred income).

    Note: they stopped reporting any WoW specific data a while back. This is revenue from ALL of Blizzard's PC games. 
     

Sign In or Register to comment.