Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Publishers pull their games from Epic Big Sale

123578

Comments

  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 732
    TEKK3N said:


    Lol no.  I will use both to my advantage, because I'm not virtue signalling over freeware.

    Besides, Valve was fine with taking our money for that shit ass broken game Atlas.  They don't give a fuck about you like you think they do.
    They are distributors, they don't do nanny duties.
    They are not responsible for the quality of a game. They just offer a service.
    We are responsible for what we buy. And there is a refund policy anyway.

    If you go to Walmart and buy Fallout 76 and then you realize it's crap, you gonna blame Walmart because it sold you a shitty game?
    Why Steam should be treated different than any other retailer?
    And Walmart doesn't have a refund policy if you don't like a game. But Steam does.

    All businesses want to make money, nobody disputes that.
    But there are business that do business more ethically than others.


    Lastly, there is nothing wrong in taking advantage of both stores, that's fine.
    But remember that for Epic, this is just a temporary thing, because Epic desperately needs customers, and it is willing to bleed money in order to do so (Fortnite money).

    Once they get where they want to be, and with Steam hopefully out of the way, you can be sure that all those juicy deals will be more difficult to find.

    Again, I am not against competition, I am against big publishers taking control of the gaming distribution.
    I think we both want the same thing, we just disagree with who should deliver it.


    Gdemami
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 732
    My worst nightmare is EA taking over the digital market with his Origin Store.
    Just thinking about it, gives me the chills.
    Gdemami
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483
    edited May 24
    TEKK3N said:
    TEKK3N said:


    Lol no.  I will use both to my advantage, because I'm not virtue signalling over freeware.

    Besides, Valve was fine with taking our money for that shit ass broken game Atlas.  They don't give a fuck about you like you think they do.
    They are distributors, they don't do nanny duties.
    They are not responsible for the quality of a game. They just offer a service.
    We are responsible for what we buy. And there is a refund policy anyway.

    If you go to Walmart and buy Fallout 76 and then you realize it's crap, you gonna blame Walmart because it sold you a shitty game?
    Why Steam should be treated different than any other retailer?
    And Walmart doesn't have a refund policy if you don't like a game. But Steam does.

    All businesses want to make money, nobody disputes that.
    But there are business that do business more ethically than others.


    Lastly, there is nothing wrong in taking advantage of both stores, that's fine.
    But remember that for Epic, this is just a temporary thing, because Epic desperately needs customers, and it is willing to bleed money in order to do so (Fortnite money).

    Once they get where they want to be, and with Steam hopefully out of the way, you can be sure that all those juicy deals will be more difficult to find.

    Again, I am not against competition, I am against big publishers taking control of the gaming distribution.
    I think we both want the same thing, we just disagree with who should deliver it.


    I still use Steam, so what's your point?


    My point was Steam allows shitty games on their storefront because it can still make them money off a few shmucks.  It's not to help the little guys or anything like that, but if you do believe that, I have a bridge you might be interested in buying.

    If Epic's store stops being useful to me, I'll stop using it.  Same for Steam.  This isn't hard.  They're tools.  They're free.  One gives you free games every week or so.  The other runs sales weekly.  USE them, and stop trying to find things to be pissy over when they don't actually affect you in any way.  You owe neither company any loyalty.

    Or don't use them, I don't care either way.  But shit people, the hate train for Epic is pathetic at this point.
    gervaise1mmolou

    image
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 732
    TEKK3N said:


    I still use Steam, so what's your point?


    My point was Steam allows shitty games on their storefront because it can still make them money off a few shmucks.  It's not to help the little guys or anything like that, but if you do believe that, I have a bridge you might be interested in buying.



    Steam is not Jesus, that's not what I am saying.
    I don't think you read my whole post.

  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483
    edited May 24
    TEKK3N said:
    TEKK3N said:


    I still use Steam, so what's your point?


    My point was Steam allows shitty games on their storefront because it can still make them money off a few shmucks.  It's not to help the little guys or anything like that, but if you do believe that, I have a bridge you might be interested in buying.



    Steam is not Jesus, that's not what I am saying.
    I don't think you read my whole post.

    Valve IS a giant in this industry now.  They're aren't some scrappy little studio or company like you seem to be arguing.  And they seek profits like a heatseeking missile just like Epic and EA.
    gervaise1mmolou

    image
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 732
    edited May 24
    TEKK3N said:

    Steam IS a giant in this industry now.  They're aren't some scrappy little studio like you seem to be arguing.
    Yes they are giant in the digital distribution, that's what they are focusing their business on.
    It took them 15 years to be where they are, they didn't bulldozer the market with the help of a truck load of money made by a lucky game (Fortnite).
    They are not trying to take over every branch of the gaming industry, and they are not bullying other companies out of their business with dirty tricks.

    Steam are not the good Samaritans, but I trust them more running a universal digital store than EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Bethesda or Epic.

    I hope someone else will be able to challenge Steam, as long as they are none of the companies mentioned above.

    Could you imagine EA's Origin Store taking over the digital distribution market?
    If Epic can do it, maybe EA could give it a go too.
    And do you think customers would be better or worse off if that happens?
    I don't even want to contemplate that scenario frankly.

    Gdemami
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483
    TEKK3N said:
    TEKK3N said:

    Steam IS a giant in this industry now.  They're aren't some scrappy little studio like you seem to be arguing.
    Yes they are giant in the digital distribution, that's what they are focusing their business on.
    It took them 15 years to be where they are, they didn't bulldozer the market with the help of a truck load of money made by a lucky game (Fortnite).
    They are not trying to take over every branch of the gaming industry, and they are not bullying other companies out of their business with dirty tricks.

    Steam are not the good Samaritans, but I trust them more running a universal digital store than EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Bethesda or Epic.

    I hope someone else will be able to challenge Steam, as long as they are none of the companies mentioned above.

    Could you imagine EA's Origin Store taking over the digital distribution market?
    If Epic can do it, maybe EA could give it a go too.
    And do you think customers would be better or worse off if that happens?

    Then whether you want to admit it or not, you don't hope anyone challenges Steam.

    You're not gonna find some kind of start-up that will ever compete with Steam.  Period.  It's a pipe dream you tell yourself to try and hold onto the idea that you're being company-agnostic when you're really saying I'd just prefer the landscape stay the same.
    mbrodiegervaise1mmolou

    image
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 732
    edited May 24
    TEKK3N said:

    Then whether you want to admit it or not, you don't hope anyone challenges Steam.

    You're not gonna find some kind of start-up that will ever compete with Steam.  Period.  It's a pipe dream you tell yourself to try and hold onto the idea that you're being company-agnostic when you're really saying I'd just prefer the landscape stay the same.

    Could it be that at the moment there is no need to challenge Steam maybe?
    At least not right now.

    You are arguing the fact that if Steam had more competition we would get better deals.
    You mean better than dozens of games discounted between 30% to 85%, every single week?

    I don't know. How much you want to pay for a game, $1 Dollar?

    I think Steam is already good value for money overall, and I don't want the big publishers to put Steam out of business, replacing it with the Origin Store or crap like that.

    Gdemami
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483
    TEKK3N said:
    TEKK3N said:

    Then whether you want to admit it or not, you don't hope anyone challenges Steam.

    You're not gonna find some kind of start-up that will ever compete with Steam.  Period.  It's a pipe dream you tell yourself to try and hold onto the idea that you're being company-agnostic when you're really saying I'd just prefer the landscape stay the same.

    Could it be that at the moment there is no need to challenge Steam maybe?
    At least not right now.

    You are arguing the fact that if Steam had more competition we would get better deals.
    You mean better than dozens of games discounted between 30% to 85%, every single week?

    I don't know. How much you want to pay for a game, $1 Dollar?

    I think Steam is already good value for money overall, and I don't want the big publishers to put Steam out of business, replacing it with the Origin Store or crap like that.

    I'm not even sure why you think Epic's goal is to put Steam out of business.  Or that Epic even believes they could do such a thing.


    Now, instead of just a launcher that gives me discounts each week, I have that launcher AND a launcher that gives me a free game each week.
    gervaise1mmolou

    image
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,297
    edited May 25
    TEKK3N said:
    TEKK3N said:

    Steam IS a giant in this industry now.  They're aren't some scrappy little studio like you seem to be arguing.
    Yes they are giant in the digital distribution, that's what they are focusing their business on.
    It took them 15 years to be where they are, they didn't bulldozer the market with the help of a truck load of money made by a lucky game (Fortnite).
    They are not trying to take over every branch of the gaming industry, and they are not bullying other companies out of their business with dirty tricks.

    Steam are not the good Samaritans, but I trust them more running a universal digital store than EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Bethesda or Epic.

    I hope someone else will be able to challenge Steam, as long as they are none of the companies mentioned above.

    Could you imagine EA's Origin Store taking over the digital distribution market?
    If Epic can do it, maybe EA could give it a go too.
    And do you think customers would be better or worse off if that happens?
    I don't even want to contemplate that scenario frankly.

    Steam (Valve) got there start through a "truckload of money" made by a "lucky" game (Half-Life)

    Valve have entered mobile; hardware - Steam Machine + SteamOS - to challenge consoles (and extend reach in PCs) and are working on VR (Hive) with HTC. 

    And lets not forget that in Australia they were found guilty (in 2016) of being engaged in misleading or deceptive conduct and made false or misleading representations about consumer guarantees; a ruling which they appealed and lost in 2017. Which is why they started to offer refunds in Australia - having not offered refunds for over a decade and, if they had won their appeal maybe they would have stopped offering them in Australia.

    Not to mention the (on-going) anti-consumer case in France and the (on-going) anti-competitive practices investigation in the EU. 

    And - there is more.

    So do I "trust" Steam (Valve) the multi-billion dollar company? I'll say that again I think: multi-billion dollar company.

    Well I don't "not trust" them - which is somewhat different. But nor do I "not trust" EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Bethesda or Epic to run a universal digital store. And there are others as well e.g. Microsoft, Sony, Amazon etc.

    What I do trust is that COMPETITION is one of the best ways of keeping said companies honest. Plus oversight and if necessary legal nudges and persuasion to make sure they don't fall into cartel like, group think activity. And the Epic Store is competition.

    You say you are not anti-competition and don't want a big distributor running things but .... Epic represents competition and Steam (Valve) is a big distribution company and then some. So ...?
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
    mbrodieMadFrenchiemmolou
  • mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,467
    edited May 25
    TEKK3N said:
    TEKK3N said:

    I'm asking sincerely, why? 
    Check my post above yours.

    But I want to ask another question myself.

    Do you feel you've been ripped off by Steam?
    And if the answer is yes.
    Why?
    i can show you why i'm ripped off by steam


    steam price


    Phyiscal Shop 10 minutes from my house that doesn't even specialise in games.. they are a general homeware store - white goods, TV's, appliances, furniture etc... the works.

    Edit - Sorry i'm going to Clarify that $58 was release week special at https://www.harveynorman.com.au/  if you're wondering what the name of the store was... the standard price now is $79 - Still $20 cheaper for a physical copy than buying it from steam

    also

    https://www.jbhifi.com.au/pc-game/rage-2/640486/

    JBHIFI is another physical "everything store" that has it for $79 for a physical copy.

    i'm not gonna post all the games which i can get cheaper physically than online, but it's not just rage 2
    Post edited by mbrodie on
    gervaise1MadFrenchie
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 5,417
    TEKK3N said:
    It's baffling to me to see so many consumers who are anti-competition; who want Steam to reign forever with a stranglehold as a game delivery platform.  Hint: Competition among corporations is good for you.  You end up getting better and cheaper products as a result of them clawing to stay on top.
    Not if the competitor is Epic.
    Might as well be EA next. No thanks.

    I don't want big publisher to own distribution platforms
    If you think that's healthy for the customers, you are quite naive.

    I'm asking sincerely, why? 
    For me, it's quite simple. Exclusivity is NOT competition.
    Gdemami

    - Al

    Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR


    (And now Burger King has MEATLESS burgers!)

  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 2,690
    AlBQuirky said:
    TEKK3N said:
    It's baffling to me to see so many consumers who are anti-competition; who want Steam to reign forever with a stranglehold as a game delivery platform.  Hint: Competition among corporations is good for you.  You end up getting better and cheaper products as a result of them clawing to stay on top.
    Not if the competitor is Epic.
    Might as well be EA next. No thanks.

    I don't want big publisher to own distribution platforms
    If you think that's healthy for the customers, you are quite naive.

    I'm asking sincerely, why? 
    For me, it's quite simple. Exclusivity is NOT competition.
    Refer to my second post. A few exclusive deals is part of the competition and in no way is even close to monopolizing the market. 
    MadFrenchie
    Constantine, The Console Poster

    • "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    • Song of the Week: Blackfield by Blackfield from Blackfield (2005)
    • Currently Playing: Devil May Cry 1
    • Favorite Drink: Bruichladdich Black Art 5th 1992
    • Gaming Timeline: Arcade, Commodore 64, Amiga 500, SEGA, IBM, PS, PC, PS2, More PCs, PS3, Giant PC, PS4, No More PCs, PS4 Pro.
  • Quizar1973Quizar1973 Member UncommonPosts: 237
    edited May 25
    mbrodie said:
    TEKK3N said:
    TEKK3N said:

    I'm asking sincerely, why? 
    Check my post above yours.

    But I want to ask another question myself.

    Do you feel you've been ripped off by Steam?
    And if the answer is yes.
    Why?
    i can show you why i'm ripped off by steam


    steam price


    Phyiscal Shop 10 minutes from my house that doesn't even specialise in games.. they are a general homeware store - white goods, TV's, appliances, furniture etc... the works.

    Edit - Sorry i'm going to Clarify that $58 was release week special at https://www.harveynorman.com.au/  if you're wondering what the name of the store was... the standard price now is $79 - Still $20 cheaper for a physical copy than buying it from steam

    also

    https://www.jbhifi.com.au/pc-game/rage-2/640486/

    JBHIFI is another physical "everything store" that has it for $79 for a physical copy.

    i'm not gonna post all the games which i can get cheaper physically than online, but it's not just rage 2
    What version are you talkin about cause on Steam Rage 2 is 60 and 80 bucks  
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/548570/RAGE_2/  But of corse thats in United States....And what does  A$ mean???
    No one shall Rent space in my head!!!!!  B)
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member UncommonPosts: 1,099
    I think too much is made of nothing.  Most of the people complaining about the epic exclusive don't even intend to play the exclusive game.  Obviously the worry is there will be more exclusive coming out.  And it get annoying having to install multiple plateform...




  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 5,417
    AlBQuirky said:
    TEKK3N said:
    It's baffling to me to see so many consumers who are anti-competition; who want Steam to reign forever with a stranglehold as a game delivery platform.  Hint: Competition among corporations is good for you.  You end up getting better and cheaper products as a result of them clawing to stay on top.
    Not if the competitor is Epic.
    Might as well be EA next. No thanks.

    I don't want big publisher to own distribution platforms
    If you think that's healthy for the customers, you are quite naive.

    I'm asking sincerely, why? 
    For me, it's quite simple. Exclusivity is NOT competition.
    Refer to my second post. A few exclusive deals is part of the competition and in no way is even close to monopolizing the market. 
    I don't believe I said anything about "monopolizing the market." I was talking about competition and exclusivity is NOT competition, no matter how you want to justify it.

    Who sold more "Epic Store Exclusive games", Steam or the Epic Store? Who won that specific competition?

    - Al

    Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR


    (And now Burger King has MEATLESS burgers!)

  • lahnmirlahnmir Member EpicPosts: 2,832
    AlBQuirky said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    TEKK3N said:
    It's baffling to me to see so many consumers who are anti-competition; who want Steam to reign forever with a stranglehold as a game delivery platform.  Hint: Competition among corporations is good for you.  You end up getting better and cheaper products as a result of them clawing to stay on top.
    Not if the competitor is Epic.
    Might as well be EA next. No thanks.

    I don't want big publisher to own distribution platforms
    If you think that's healthy for the customers, you are quite naive.

    I'm asking sincerely, why? 
    For me, it's quite simple. Exclusivity is NOT competition.
    Refer to my second post. A few exclusive deals is part of the competition and in no way is even close to monopolizing the market. 
    I don't believe I said anything about "monopolizing the market." I was talking about competition and exclusivity is NOT competition, no matter how you want to justify it.

    Who sold more "Epic Store Exclusive games", Steam or the Epic Store? Who won that specific competition?
    It is actually a competition, but not between games but between stores. So the questions that could be asked are: Who sold the better games? and Who had the best games for sale? Then all of a sudden it makes sense, you just have to look at it from a slightly different angle.

    Just to clarify, this is not a post about whether or not exclusivity is a good way of competing, it is however a way to differentiate your store from another store.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    AlBQuirkyConstantineMerus
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

    Kyleran on yours sincerely 


    But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

    Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 5,417
    lahnmir said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    TEKK3N said:
    It's baffling to me to see so many consumers who are anti-competition; who want Steam to reign forever with a stranglehold as a game delivery platform.  Hint: Competition among corporations is good for you.  You end up getting better and cheaper products as a result of them clawing to stay on top.
    Not if the competitor is Epic.
    Might as well be EA next. No thanks.

    I don't want big publisher to own distribution platforms
    If you think that's healthy for the customers, you are quite naive.

    I'm asking sincerely, why? 
    For me, it's quite simple. Exclusivity is NOT competition.
    Refer to my second post. A few exclusive deals is part of the competition and in no way is even close to monopolizing the market. 
    I don't believe I said anything about "monopolizing the market." I was talking about competition and exclusivity is NOT competition, no matter how you want to justify it.

    Who sold more "Epic Store Exclusive games", Steam or the Epic Store? Who won that specific competition?
    It is actually a competition, but not between games but between stores. So the questions that could be asked are: Who sold the better games? and Who had the best games for sale? Then all of a sudden it makes sense, you just have to look at it from a slightly different angle.

    Just to clarify, this is not a post about whether or not exclusivity is a good way of competing, it is however a way to differentiate your store from another store.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I guess "competition" was lost it's meaning, too. Oh, well...
    Gdemami

    - Al

    Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR


    (And now Burger King has MEATLESS burgers!)

  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    edited May 26
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member EpicPosts: 2,832
    AlBQuirky said:
    lahnmir said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    TEKK3N said:
    It's baffling to me to see so many consumers who are anti-competition; who want Steam to reign forever with a stranglehold as a game delivery platform.  Hint: Competition among corporations is good for you.  You end up getting better and cheaper products as a result of them clawing to stay on top.
    Not if the competitor is Epic.
    Might as well be EA next. No thanks.

    I don't want big publisher to own distribution platforms
    If you think that's healthy for the customers, you are quite naive.

    I'm asking sincerely, why? 
    For me, it's quite simple. Exclusivity is NOT competition.
    Refer to my second post. A few exclusive deals is part of the competition and in no way is even close to monopolizing the market. 
    I don't believe I said anything about "monopolizing the market." I was talking about competition and exclusivity is NOT competition, no matter how you want to justify it.

    Who sold more "Epic Store Exclusive games", Steam or the Epic Store? Who won that specific competition?
    It is actually a competition, but not between games but between stores. So the questions that could be asked are: Who sold the better games? and Who had the best games for sale? Then all of a sudden it makes sense, you just have to look at it from a slightly different angle.

    Just to clarify, this is not a post about whether or not exclusivity is a good way of competing, it is however a way to differentiate your store from another store.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I guess "competition" was lost it's meaning, too. Oh, well...
    I don’t know. A competition is where at least two parties strive for a goal that can not be shared, where one parties gain is another parties loss. That seems to apply to this situation.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    mmolouAlBQuirkyMadFrenchie
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

    Kyleran on yours sincerely 


    But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

    Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Epic Games made another 'Epic Fail' and violated GDPR, on second thoughts, before Epic fix the lack of a 'basket' in their store, they should make some kind of effort towards protecting peoples data, oopsie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pibDZNlCKfg
    Sidalpha tends to be spot on with his reporting, the only question is whether or not those affected go ahead and prosecute over GDPR violations or not, interesting times!  :o
    GdemamiJeffSpicoli
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 2,690
    lahnmir said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    lahnmir said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    TEKK3N said:
    It's baffling to me to see so many consumers who are anti-competition; who want Steam to reign forever with a stranglehold as a game delivery platform.  Hint: Competition among corporations is good for you.  You end up getting better and cheaper products as a result of them clawing to stay on top.
    Not if the competitor is Epic.
    Might as well be EA next. No thanks.

    I don't want big publisher to own distribution platforms
    If you think that's healthy for the customers, you are quite naive.

    I'm asking sincerely, why? 
    For me, it's quite simple. Exclusivity is NOT competition.
    Refer to my second post. A few exclusive deals is part of the competition and in no way is even close to monopolizing the market. 
    I don't believe I said anything about "monopolizing the market." I was talking about competition and exclusivity is NOT competition, no matter how you want to justify it.

    Who sold more "Epic Store Exclusive games", Steam or the Epic Store? Who won that specific competition?
    It is actually a competition, but not between games but between stores. So the questions that could be asked are: Who sold the better games? and Who had the best games for sale? Then all of a sudden it makes sense, you just have to look at it from a slightly different angle.

    Just to clarify, this is not a post about whether or not exclusivity is a good way of competing, it is however a way to differentiate your store from another store.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I guess "competition" was lost it's meaning, too. Oh, well...
    I don’t know. A competition is where at least two parties strive for a goal that can not be shared, where one parties gain is another parties loss. That seems to apply to this situation.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    What Sheep said. Competing for market share. It is pretty obvious in my opinion. Exclusive titles on different stores are the same as exclusive titles on different consoles. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

    • "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    • Song of the Week: Blackfield by Blackfield from Blackfield (2005)
    • Currently Playing: Devil May Cry 1
    • Favorite Drink: Bruichladdich Black Art 5th 1992
    • Gaming Timeline: Arcade, Commodore 64, Amiga 500, SEGA, IBM, PS, PC, PS2, More PCs, PS3, Giant PC, PS4, No More PCs, PS4 Pro.
  • mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,467
    edited May 26
    mbrodie said:
    TEKK3N said:
    TEKK3N said:

    I'm asking sincerely, why? 
    Check my post above yours.

    But I want to ask another question myself.

    Do you feel you've been ripped off by Steam?
    And if the answer is yes.
    Why?
    i can show you why i'm ripped off by steam


    steam price


    Phyiscal Shop 10 minutes from my house that doesn't even specialise in games.. they are a general homeware store - white goods, TV's, appliances, furniture etc... the works.

    Edit - Sorry i'm going to Clarify that $58 was release week special at https://www.harveynorman.com.au/  if you're wondering what the name of the store was... the standard price now is $79 - Still $20 cheaper for a physical copy than buying it from steam

    also

    https://www.jbhifi.com.au/pc-game/rage-2/640486/

    JBHIFI is another physical "everything store" that has it for $79 for a physical copy.

    i'm not gonna post all the games which i can get cheaper physically than online, but it's not just rage 2
    What version are you talkin about cause on Steam Rage 2 is 60 and 80 bucks  
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/548570/RAGE_2/  But of corse thats in United States....And what does  A$ mean???


    Clearly it's Australian Dollars - the websites i posted .com.au (australia)

    Edit - To Clarify the Standard Edition on Steam is $99

    I can get it here from retail shops for $79

    Steam rips me off, not just with this game... but a lot as someone from Australia
    Post edited by mbrodie on
    Gdemami
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 732
    edited June 6
    mbrodie said:
    TEKK3N said:


    Phyiscal Shop 10 minutes from my house that doesn't even specialise in games.. they are a general homeware store - white goods, TV's, appliances, furniture etc... the works.

    Edit - Sorry i'm going to Clarify that $58 was release week special at https://www.harveynorman.com.au/  if you're wondering what the name of the store was... the standard price now is $79 - Still $20 cheaper for a physical copy than buying it from steam

    That's normal.
    Steam doesn't do real localization (It doesn't get the games from Australian distributors who generally pay games to the publishers according to the local economy standards).
    You are basically paying for an American export.

    Steam is an American Business that happens to sell worldwide, therefore their prices are based on the American prices and exchanged in the local currency.
    Since the US Dollar is worth more than the Aussie Dollar, you pay more for games on Steam.
    This is not a problem for the EU since the Euro and the US Dollar are worth pretty much the same (They only add the VAT).

    I also said many times that Steam is not great for new games, because it doesn't do discounts.
    Steam is excellent for games that are 1 years old or older, where you can get up to 90% discount.

    If in AUS new games are cheaper in the shops, buy them from the shops, simple.

    On Steam Rage 2 is £39.99, in the shops here in UK is £49.99.
    So how convenient is to buy new games on Steam, depends on how strong your local currency is against the US Dollar.
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 732
    edited June 6
    gervaise1 said:
    TEKK3N said:


    Steam (Valve) got there start through a "truckload of money" made by a "lucky" game (Half-Life)

    Valve have entered mobile; hardware - Steam Machine + SteamOS - to challenge consoles (and extend reach in PCs) and are working on VR (Hive) with HTC. 

    Yes, because Half Life 2 was in the same league as Fortnite (/facepalm).
    Even Doom franchise sold more than Half Life 2, an ID Software got bought by Bethesda.

    Valve invested the good money they made (not truckloads) in creating something new, and it took them 15 years to get where they are.
    Epic wants to get there pretty fast, behaving as if they own the market, even though they sell few dozen games.
    Remember when they told Steam: "We stop the exclusivity of the games if you slash the commission on the games"?
    Typical mega corporation stinky attitude, the same bullish behavior that bring us shitty and half baked games, because they all think with their balls instead of their head.

    All I am saying is, before they can talk, Epic should develop a better store and get a decent amount of games in their library, instead of trying to bulldozer other businesses, with not much to show except for a big mouth.

    A new platform is welcome, but first do your job and then you can talk.

    PS: And I don't remember Steam threatening Sony or Microsoft with their crappy console, they just tried to make their own thing working hard and behaving with decency unlike Epic, which is the point I am trying to make.



    Gdemami
Sign In or Register to comment.