Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft and Sony strike games streaming deal

DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503

Microsoft and Sony have formed a partnership on video games streaming, despite being fierce competitors.

It is expected Sony will use Microsoft’s Azure cloud service to host its upcoming PlayStation streaming service.

Microsoft has been trialling a streaming offer of its own, under its Xbox brand.

The firms said they would also work together on semiconductors and artificial intelligence applications.

"For many years, Microsoft has been a key business partner for us, though of course the two companies have also been competing in some areas,” said Kenichio Yoshida, Sony’s chief executive.

“I believe that our joint development of future cloud solutions will contribute greatly to the advancement of interactive content.”

Microsoft’s chief executive, Satya Nadella, said: "Sony has always been a leader in both entertainment and technology, and the collaboration we announced today builds on this history of innovation.”

Read more at:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-48304221

Comments

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Good for both of them.  I believe that for game streaming to get off the ground, a lot of cooperation will be required from many different sources, or else these investments will be wasted in the short term.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I was wondering which direction Sony would move so they wouldn't get left behind as cloud technology and connectivity evolves. I figured they'd run to Amazon or something but this is even more interesting.
    [Deleted User]
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited May 2019
    I think it's bad news. Microsoft already has exclusive access to XBox, and for PCs they get advantage because it's their OS. Now that they got also Playstation, they could too easily get monopoly on streaming games.

OT: @FlyByKnight The fireworks in your animation are really irritating when one has to watch them about 100 times in a row while writing message
    MadFrenchie

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Mikeha said:
    I saw this too. Very interesting. 

• IvidnaelaxIvidnaelax Member UncommonPosts: 67
    edited May 2019
    I am sorry, but I think this is a horrible decision on Sony's part. I gave up my Xbox 1 because I shouldn't have to pay for a game that they advertise is free. Literally I am paying for their hosting service when I already have to pay for my own ISP. Don't advertise that a game is free to play and then charge people for Xbox Gold so you can do multiplayer.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    In my opinion, this is the first step towards Sony and Nintendo remaining once again as the only consoles in the market while MS provides games and services to both.

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    edited May 2019
    You guys realize that Microsoft azure is just a cloud computing service? It's like using aws, it had nothing to do with Xbox or anything gaming at all. Most software you use today probably use azure or aws to some capacity. Or Google cloud for that matter. 

The options are to either use someone else's infrastructure or build your own. Microsfot, Amazon, and Google have the largest. Google already has stadia coming so they probably felt like they didn't want to deal with that and Microsoft probably gave them a better deal.
    Quizzical
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    This is no surprise, lots of companies outside of gaming are jumping onboard the azure train.
    https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/case-studies/

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Tiller said:
    This is no surprise, lots of companies outside of gaming are jumping onboard the azure train.
    https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/case-studies/

Exactly. It's just good that's why they're using it. It's not some super crazy gaming monopoly partnership lol.
    maskedweasel
  • iamspamicusiamspamicus Member UncommonPosts: 114
    I am sorry, but I think this is a horrible decision on Sony's part. I gave up my Xbox 1 because I shouldn't have to pay for a game that they advertise is free. Literally I am paying for their hosting service when I already have to pay for my own ISP. Don't advertise that a game is free to play and then charge people for Xbox Gold so you can do multiplayer.
    Thank god PS doesnt do that. (Yet?)  If its a f2p game, you dont need psplus to play it online. If its a paid game like cod or battlefield, you need psplus to play multiplayer.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    I'm curious what hardware this will be running on.  They could probably run Xbox One (X) and PS4 (Pro) games well on an ordinary GPU compute server with a bunch of Radeon Instinct cards.  That only gets dodgy if a game is relying on some weird hardware-specific thing (e.g., Kinect) or heavily relies on having a ton of CPU-GPU bandwidth (since they share the same physical memory pool in the consoles).

Trying to emulate Nintendo Switch games on an ordinary GPU compute server would be dicier.  Nvidia offers plenty of server GPUs, but they're built to connect to x86 or Power CPUs, not ARM, and trying to emulate ARM on something else could be trouble.  If this is only for a future Nintendo console, that could be different.

It would surely be preferable to use ordinary GPU compute servers rather than custom hardware to match the exact console specs if they can.  The question is whether they can.  One previous announcement for Microsoft's own cloud showed them building custom servers with four Xbox One SoCs in each.

If you have to build custom hardware like that, then you run into scaling issues.  Build too many, and if the demand doesn't come, then you have racks of servers sitting idle that you can't use for anything else.  Build too few and people will think the service is bad because they have to sit in a queue for an hour to play a game.  And you can't ramp it up and down quickly.

If you can use ordinary GPU compute servers, then you've got whatever capacity you need and can sell unneeded capacity for other compute purposes, even if your estimates of demand are off by a factor of five in either direction.  Or even if demand varies wildly, both with time of day and also because of spikes as particularly popular games launch.

If they can do that, then for Sony and Nintendo to rely on Azure (or Amazon or some other established cloud provider) makes a ton of sense.  If they can't, but are going to have racks of PS5 or Nintendo's next console, then the gains from having Microsoft handle it are much smaller.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I think the spokesman worded it a bit wrong.

What he means is....

Thanks to this partnership we can form a large monopoly and hopefully take over the entire market and run everyone else out of business.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited May 2019
    Wizardry said:

What he means is....

Thanks to this partnership we can form a large monopoly and hopefully take over the entire market and run everyone else out of business.
    Long time wizardry laugher, first time wizardry replier here I just want to say this is the silliest thing I've heard today. Thanks, that is all.
    Post edited by ChildoftheShadows on
    maskedweaselQuizzical
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    edited May 2019

Wizardry said:

What he means is....

Again, for the folks who refuse to read beyond the thread title..... Sony, who is one of many companies is utilizing Microsoft’s Azure cloud based technology to develop their own game streaming service. Microsoft is also working and testing a game streaming service of their own, separate from Sony's, but is also utilizing Azure and sharing some of their work.

Being angry over this is kinda like being angry that they use Windows 10 on all their work stations for day to day tasks. I blame the author of the article and his clickbait title tbh, that and the fact people rarely read beyond the first sentence.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Tiller said:

Being angry over this is kinda like being angry that they use Windows 10 on all their work stations for day to day tasks. I blame the author of the article and his clickbait title tbh, that and the fact people rarely read beyond the first sentence.

You don't think it's reasonable to be upset about that with all of the great strides that Linux has made?
    ChildoftheShadows
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I read it as a notion that in the next next gen (i.e. not necessarily PS5 generation)... MS wanted to shift away from the console hardware field and lean more on cloud assets and licensing fees, whereas Sony is more comfortable being that Consumer Electronics provider.
    ConstantineMerus
  • Noobmaster_95Noobmaster_95 Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Not really excited about that... Let's wait and see