Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It IS a sandbox, but is this truly an open world MMO?

BaalzharonBaalzharon Member RarePosts: 399
Someone tried traveling to another star system without fast travel, and ran into an invisible barrier

That to me says EVE is not a true open world MMO

In Skyrim, you can go anywhere in skyrim without loading screens. Sure you got loading screens to cities and dungeons, but mods fix that to make it a true open world game with no loading screens anywhere

In Mad Max game, the entire world is truly open, you can even go off the map if you wanted to, no invisible barriers

And then EVE...the maps are truly big, yes...but there is invisible barriers to get to another star system. NOT open world

It is a good sandbox MMO however and the only good one. It offers content for all playstyles and types of players.
Gdemami

Comments

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,197
    Sandbox and open world are two different things.
    EVE, UO, Wurm ect are sandbox while Skyrim, Witcher 3, Shadow of Mordor ect are open world.
  • BaalzharonBaalzharon Member RarePosts: 399
    Maurgrim said:
    EVE, UO, Wurm ect are sandbox while Skyrim, Witcher 3, Shadow of Mordor ect are open world.
    I understand that part. Though sandbox/open world seem to be both interchangeable and intertwined. Generally, a sandbox MMO is open world (but not always) and an open world MMO can be sandbox, but often not. Many do confuse the two. For example, Skyrim I wouldn't classify as a sandbox. I would say its an openworld themepark game (ignoring mods)...MAYBE Morrowind (its more sandbox than Skyrim), definitely Daggerfall.

Could EVE Online still be considered open world (well its an universe, not an actual "world" but in any case still same meaning) even with the invisible barriers? Each instance is massive in size, but to me that doesn't make a game an open world.

I suppose I always thought EVE Online was open world, until I was looking at MMOs to go back to or try and saw that someone tried traveling to another system and couldn't. All the star systems are just giant instances that can support a large amounts of players.
    Gdemami
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 33,276
    edited May 14
    I'd have to see proof anyone hit an invisible wall, not really possible unless some sort of weird bug.

More on why: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/82x1dh/how_do_people_build_a_pos_far_away_from_a_systems/#thing_t1_dvdemvg

ConstantineMerusBaalzharon

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member RarePosts: 1,028
    Maurgrim said:
    ... Though sandbox/open world seem to be both interchangeable and intertwined...
    Nope. Just nope.
    ConstantineMerusMaurgrim
  • BaalzharonBaalzharon Member RarePosts: 399
    Kyleran said:
    I'd have to see proof anyone hit an invisible wall, not really possible unless some sort of weird bug.

More on why: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/82x1dh/how_do_people_build_a_pos_far_away_from_a_systems/#thing_t1_dvdemvg

Well I swore I saw something about someone traveling super far and hitting an invisible barrier. But...now I can't find it and feel like I was imagining it or mixed it up with another game xD...but I swore I saw it, it was a reddit post and then a game news story of it somewhere. But maybe it was fake or a lie or something. Or I'm just mixing up games...
    GdemamiMaurgrim